• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
Years
We'll since we're now mentioning Black and White sprites I just have to say Jolteon's new sprite does it so much justice. Now I can erase its HGSS sprite from out of my memory<333

Spr_4h_135.png
- HGSS

135.png
- BW

I feel like they look extremely similar...

Ayselipera

I feel like they look extremely similar...

My thoughts were that the face is positioned better now. In the older sprite its left eye almost looks like its nose. In the newer sprite you can actually tell apart the eyes from the nose.

At least that's what I see!

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
Years
My thoughts were that the face is positioned better now. In the older sprite its left eye almost looks like its nose. In the newer sprite you can actually tell apart the eyes from the nose.

At least that's what I see!

I think they should have used the head from newer one and then the body from the older one ^_^

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
WHOA. Major improvement on Jolteon. That is...really one of the best Jolteon sprites, and that's coming from someone who loves Jolty's Green sprite more than anything. lol They don't look too similar, imo.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
Wooooah, Medicham's sprite looks SO different... /sarcasm

sprite.php
-Platinum/HGSS
308.png
-B/W

...Wut? D: I think I actually preferred Platinum/HGSS's instead. T_T
Or maybe the original Ruby/Sapphire one. :<

EDIT: WOOOOW, I just noticed this. They used the Diamond/Pearl sprite's head, and just flipped the Platinum one's body the other way around.
Yeah, that's really cool Game Freak. u_u

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2011
PKMN035.png
HG/SS
35.png
B/W
Did'ja gain some weight there, Clefairy?

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
PKMN035.png
HG/SS
35.png
B/W
Did'ja gain some weight there, Clefairy?

Oh... my... XD
Clefairy, what happened to you?!?! XD

I really like Mamepato's sprite! :) It looks sprited really well, and I just really like it! :D
mamepato.png

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I agree. :) I like BURD (that's its name) a lot better than Starly. And it's got a ballin' sprite to boot, so that makes everything better. Looking at it makes me want to catch one now.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Burd (????) and Starly look exactly alike to me.... I don't like any of them. Pidgey is the way to go!

Jolteon's sprite has gotten worser and worser... until B/W. Now it finally looks like it's got fur!

And Clefairy, omg... XD lol

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2011
I like Burd. I think Pidgey's cuter, but Burd ain't bad. Much better than Starly was. >.>
But it may be the fact of my grandpa raising pigeons that I actually like the pigeon Pokemon. (even if it does become a pheasant)
Burds final form though...with that pink mask face....no.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
I actually love Mamepato's final form. I was a bit "meh" with the first two in the line, but I love that final one.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
264.png

Hey. For a moment I thought it was a different pokemon. This is one of the major sprite changes (and I gotta say it's pretty good, too).

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
I'm going to talk about Sceptile now.

R/S/E:
pkrs003.gif

D/P/P and HG/SS:
dpmfa254.png

B/W:
254.png

From R/S/E to B/W, this is the worst sprite update in history. The R/S/E Sceptile is my favourite. D/P/Pt/HG/SS doesn't appeal to me because I don't like the pose. B/W, what happened here?

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years

R/S/E:
pkrs003.gif

D/P/P and HG/SS:
dpmfa254.png

B/W:
254.png

From R/S/E to B/W, this is the worst sprite update in history. The R/S/E Sceptile is my favourite. D/P/Pt/HG/SS doesn't appeal to me because I don't like the pose. B/W, what happened here?
Wow. In my opinion the Gen. IV sprite of Sceptile looks the best. =] In Gen. V it looked like a Sceptile went on a diet or something. o.O

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
DPPt Sceptile is my favourite too. It looks a lot less passive and more dangerous than the other two.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

R/S/E:
pkrs003.gif

D/P/P and HG/SS:
dpmfa254.png

B/W:
254.png

Now that Sceptile's R/S/E and B/W sprites are put together, I can't help but compare both of them. They have similar poses, but the B/W sprite looks like it slimmed down a bit. I actually like Sceptile's B/W sprite.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
RSE Sceptile lacks pizazz, and BW Sceptile is super skinny and kinda "hay guyz -flails hands-" Gen IV wins for Sceptile imo.

Also, the Linoone is ~adorable~

Back