• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Water Team

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
Rain Dance performer and initial damage lead:
245.png

Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid ~ Pressure

• Rain Dance
• Calm Mind
• Shadow Ball
• Hidden Power Fire

252 spa / 4 sdp / 252 spe

Special sweeper:
230.png

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Timid ~ Swift Swim

• Dragon Dance
• Yawn
• Flash Cannon
• Dragon Pulse

6 hp / 252 spa / 252 spe

Physical sweeper:
130.png

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant ~ Moxie

• Dragon Dance
• Waterfall
• Bounce
• Earthquake

176 hp / 128 atk / 204 spe

Ultimate supporter:
134.png

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold ~ Hydration

• Baton Pass
• Acid Armor
• Wish
• Scald

244 hp / 136 def / 128 spe

Dangerous beauty:
350.png

Milotic @ Leftovers
Bold ~ Cute Charm

• Scald
• Recover
• Ice Beam
• Toxic

128 hp / 252 def / 128 spa

Indestructible dragon killer tank:
131.png

Lapras @ Leftovers
Adamant ~ Hydration

• Rest
• SleepTalk
• Curse
• Avalanche

148 atk / 108 def / 252 spd​

PS: All my team members are females, excepting the sweepers.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
IMO, I'd rather have Kingdra do the Rain Dance set-up. And I do see a lot of problems with it:
-Flash Cannon doesn't provide noteworthy coverage; Kingdra's Water and Dragon STABs have good enough coverage already.
-Status moves other than Trick, Spore or the like + Choice items = no-no. This makes Kingdra a sitting duck. Go with this set instead:
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse/Ice Beam/Surf
Nature: Modest
EVs: 40 HP/252 SAtk/216 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim

The lack of STAB really, really really hurts on Suicune:
-Calm Mind
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Electric/Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

or
-Calm Mind
-Scald/Surf
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers

or
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Surf/Scald
-Ice Beam/Hidden Power (Fire)
EVs: 252 HP/172 SAtk/84 Spe

But then again, Keldeo is a better option over Suicune thanks to its better Speed and offensive presence:
-Surf
-Hydro Pump
-Secret Sword
-Hidden Power (Ice)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

or
-Calm Mind
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Secret Sword
-Hidden Power (Ghost/Ice)/Substitute
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

or
-Hydro Pump
-Secret Sword
-Hidden Power (Ghost/Electric)
-Icy Wind/Surf
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Gyarados' current set is better off using a max Attack/max Speed spread; the bulky spread is better off for a Dragon Dance Gyarados that uses Taunt.

Cute Charm seems tempting, but infatuation is easy to switch out of. That, and the status itself is unreliable. Marvel Scale is still Milotic's preferred ability. Milotic's current set isn't meant to attack, but to provide support. The preferred spread is 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef.

Since Rain Dance (without Politoed) doesn't last long, you're going to need a backup Rain Dance user; Vaporeon can do that while still providing Wish. While Acid Armor + Baton Pass is tempting, it's better off doing that in dedicated Baton Pass teams, and this team isn't one:
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Toxic/Roar/Rain Dance
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb

or
-Rest
-Scald
-Wish/Roar/Rain Dance
-Toxic/Ice Beam/Rain Dance
Ability: Hydration

Lapras, while interesting, doesn't make much of an impact in OU. Cloyster can make a more threatening offensive presence with Shell Smash:
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Hydro Pump/Razor Shell
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: White Herb/Focus Sash/Lum Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
IMO, I'd rather have Kingdra do the Rain Dance set-up. And I do see a lot of problems with it:
-Flash Cannon doesn't provide noteworthy coverage; Kingdra's Water and Dragon STABs have good enough coverage already.
-Status moves other than Trick, Spore or the like + Choice items = no-no. This makes Kingdra a sitting duck. Go with this set instead:
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse/Ice Beam/Surf
EVs: 40 HP/252 SAtk/216 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
Yeah I know my kingdra isn't so good, I was in doubt about what moveset was the best for it. He will be the Rain Dancer now :)

The lack of STAB really, really really hurts on Suicune:
{...}
-Calm Mind
-Scald/Surf
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
You're right, Suicune seems to be better off with this set. Thanks~

Gyarados' current set is better off using a max Attack/max Speed spread; the bulky spread is better off for a Dragon Dance Gyarados that uses Taunt.
I don't really know wich set is better for gyarados and my team as a whole, because I know gyarados is a fragile beast.
Which set do you think is better?

Cute Charm seems tempting, but infatuation is easy to switch out of. That, and the status itself is unreliable. Marvel Scale is still Milotic's preferred ability. Milotic's current set isn't meant to attack, but to provide support. The preferred spread is 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef.
Thank you for the advise, I'll be using it. :)

Since Rain Dance (without Politoed) doesn't last long, you're going to need a backup Rain Dance user; Vaporeon can do that while still providing Wish. While Acid Armor + Baton Pass is tempting, it's better off doing that in dedicated Baton Pass teams, and this team isn't one:
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Toxic/Roar/Rain Dance
Vaporeon moveset is really something so complicated to me xD Vappy is a versatile pokemon, so I got kinda lost when choosing a set.

I think I'll be running this set:
• Wish
• Rain Dance
• Ice Beam
• Toxic

What do you think?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yeah I know my kingdra isn't so good, I was in doubt about what moveset was the best for it. He will be the Rain Dancer now :)

You're right, Suicune seems to be better off with this set. Thanks~

I don't really know wich set is better for gyarados and my team as a whole, because I know gyarados is a fragile beast.
Which set do you think is better?

Thank you for the advise, I'll be using it. :)

Vaporeon moveset is really something so complicated to me xD Vappy is a versatile pokemon, so I got kinda lost when choosing a set.

I think I'll be running this set:
• Wish
• Rain Dance
• Ice Beam
• Toxic

What do you think?

Lack of STAB hurts here. Scald or Surf needs to be somewhere on there.

And I just found out something bulky that can help set up Rain Dance over Vaporeon: Slowbro. While it doesn't hit as hard as Vaporeon does, it has access to reliable recovery in Slack Off and Regenerator:
-Rain Dance
-Slack Off
-Scald/Surf
-Psyshock
EVs: 248 HP/244 Def/16 SAtk
Ability: Regenerator

(you don't have to use this if you don't want to)

Gyarados isn't that frail; its HP is decent and Intimidate compensates for its lower Defense in comparison to its high Special Defense. It has the same bulk as Milotic, to put into perspective.

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
So... a Monotype Water team that doesn't have DrizzleToed or Keldeo? I know this has to be an OU team because of Gyarados.

First of all, I'd say Politoed over Suicune. Because from the looks of it, Suicune is there mainly to use Rain Dance.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

One of Politoed's more basic sets. Toxic and Perish Song lets you deal with Stallers and Baton Passers. Scald lets you fish for burns, and Protect helps you predict what your opponent's going to do. And Drizzle because rain.

Keldeo should probably go over Lapras. Lapras isn't all that great, with a SR weakness and no recoveries outside of Rest and Water Absorb. Most fighting types can outspeed and OHKO Lapras with ease.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass/Fire/Electric]
- Icy Wind

Secret Sword and Surf are fairly powerful STABs, and SS lets you deal with pink blobs. Icy Wind can usually OHKO most Dragons, and HP for extra coverage.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So... a Monotype Water team that doesn't have DrizzleToed or Keldeo? I know this has to be an OU team because of Gyarados.

First of all, I'd say Politoed over Suicune. Because from the looks of it, Suicune is there mainly to use Rain Dance.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

One of Politoed's more basic sets. Toxic and Perish Song lets you deal with Stallers and Baton Passers. Scald lets you fish for burns, and Protect helps you predict what your opponent's going to do. And Drizzle because rain.

Keldeo should probably go over Lapras. Lapras isn't all that great, with a SR weakness and no recoveries outside of Rest and Water Absorb. Most fighting types can outspeed and OHKO Lapras with ease.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass/Fire/Electric]
- Icy Wind

Secret Sword and Surf are fairly powerful STABs, and SS lets you deal with pink blobs. Icy Wind can usually OHKO most Dragons, and HP for extra coverage.
Just a slight problem: Drizzle Politoed and Swift Swim are banned together in the same team. This is why I suggested that Kingdra be the Rain Dance setter.

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
Oh, that's right. I don't use Kingdra that often so it never comes up for me.

Well, alternatively, you could swap his ability for Sniper.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Oh, that's right. I don't use Kingdra that often so it never comes up for me.

Well, alternatively, you could swap his ability for Sniper.

True, but Kingdra having Swift Swim allows it to check opposing Rain teams. Not all Rain teams need Politoed; if one wants to use Swift Swim in rain, they'll have to make do with manual Rain Dance.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I can use keldeo over kingdra, but suicune has to stay 'cos I love it. ;;
It's really the first time I'm playing regularly in the competitive mode stuff, so I don't know much.

So, I'm open minded and I can change two of my team members: gyarados and kingdra.

And thank you two for all the advises and suggestions. :)

Back