• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Pokemon World Tournament Discussion

Do you like Pokemon World Tournament?

• Yes! I love this new feature!

Votes: 170 89.5%
  • No, I don't like this new feature!

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Maybe, I am not sure I like or don't like this new feature.

Votes: 18 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
Can't tell if pun because everything can learn Outrage now, or just stating how ridiculous they are.

They are indeed ridiculous though. It shows that Gamefreak has been watching competitive online battles and Smoogen.

Translation patch has been updated today. The receptionist for the actual PWT (right side) actually lets you know how many more times you must win to unlock the next thing. Had no idea. I need to win World Leaders 4 more times for Champions. I thought that was neat.

Also, I tried the DLC Tournament the other day. Their alt teams are even worse than before. I couldn't get past the first person xD I think it was Norman, but his Giga Impact spam always gets me :/ It's tough one-shotting that Slaking, and it's so FAST for no reason. Not even Scarf'd because it either has that stupid Chople berry or Eject Button.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Translation patch has been updated today. The receptionist for the actual PWT (right side) actually lets you know how many more times you must win to unlock the next thing. Had no idea. I need to win World Leaders 4 more times for Champions. I thought that was neat.
I thought you knew that :D
It's pretty known fact :D
She always tells you *random talk* you need to battle xxxx y-times to unlock zzzzz :D

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
I was always too busy mashing to get to the BP stands >_> No time for moonspeak! The main translation I enjoy is the tournament ones. I always forgot the order, but they got them and the gym leaders / champs themselves.

I got my first 3-0 all three battles wipe in Singles today! Had some close calls with crits (say that three times fast) but it felt good bro.

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
personally no i think they need to concentrate more on a new strategy for the games because it's been years of the something with just some changes here and their.

Years
I still think for once that the Pokemon company's running out of ideas by the second-- They just have this feature so that they believe people would buy it, but heck. I won't even buy a game that a company randomly puts features in. I want to have a reason why they needed the feature in the game. This feature was probably added in randomly to get more buyers.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I still think for once that the Pokemon company's running out of ideas by the second-- They just have this feature so that they believe people would buy it, but heck. I won't even buy a game that a company randomly puts features in. I want to have a reason why they needed the feature in the game. This feature was probably added in randomly to get more buyers.

That's why Wifi was added into the games...why they made Pokemon Contests...why they made the Battle Frontier...

The reason is to give people something to play in their games. If they have been running out of ideas, then they most certainly have been running out of ideas for like 10 years now. Cause they've been running out of ideas since well Generation 2 according to a majority of fans.

The PWT is something new to set the game apart from all past games. Just how the Battle Fronteir was made to set Emerald a part from Crystal and Yellow.

That's why the Underground was made instead of the same Secret bases from R/S, to set them apart from the previous games, and Pokethon for HG/SS.

Other wise we'd have the same thing over and over and over again.

They really aren't running out of ideas considering they are still able to produce videogames at all despite what has been said since Generation 2.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

I've had this idea for years...facing all the gym leaders and champions...shame they excluded the Elite Four members though

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
There is a new Download for the PWT that has a tournament dedicated to the Legendary Pokemon that are not banned from use within it...

What do ya think about that? An entire tournament where you have to battle Legendary Pokemon.

Kinda cool.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
There is a new Download for the PWT that has a tournament dedicated to the Legendary Pokemon that are not banned from use within it...

What do ya think about that? An entire tournament where you have to battle Legendary Pokemon.

Kinda cool.
Legends are in entire tournament? I thought there are only 2 trainers with legends... one with Kanto and one with Johto trio o.O

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

Legends are in entire tournament? I thought there are only 2 trainers with legends... one with Kanto and one with Johto trio o.O

In the PWT you only battle like two or three people for a full tournament anyway so that's means the same thing XD

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

But still you will battle one trainer that won't have legendaries xD xD

From what I've seen, you may just battle those two, so two trainers and 6 legends total. I haven't seen too much detail about the download yet.

Last edited:

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I'm still trying to figure out how to use PWT properly, but from what I've tried I'm loving it so far,

Salient-Z

風来王
Years
Pokémon World Tournament Excluded Contenders

So I was looking through the list of noteworthy challengers in the PWT, and I noticed that Colress and Hugh are amongst these competitors. Now although they are apart of the story line, technically neither of them are gym leaders or champions. With this in mind and also Hugh being your rival in the game, I felt it was sort of an unwelcome tease to not have Silver (your rival from the Johto Region), Wally (Hoenn Region), May/Brendan (Hoenn Region), or Barry (Sinnoh Region).

Now according to the lore thus far in the Pokémon games, Wally was taught by Norman, who is in the tournament, on how to catch Pokémon. Silver who is the son of Giovanni, who is also in the tournament, defeated all of the gym leaders and made it up to Indigo Plateau with the player. Barry is... slightly off, but he defeated several gym leaders as well.

I also find it interesting that they used the canonical names for Gary and Ash (Or the English translated versions from the Adventure manga) Blue and Red respectively, but left out Silver who is also a character within the manga.

Not that I particularly care for them, I also feel that a few of the Frontier Heads either from the Hoenn Frontier or the Frontier present in HG & SS and Platinum would be of a particular skill level and capable of competing in this tournament.

Also I was looking forward to some cameo appearances from trainers from the Orre Region where Phenac Stadium and the Tower Colosseum are major parts of the plot, and it could easily be said that the characters traveled from afar to take part in the World Tournament.

Now I do not have access to the Japanese release, but I have read that 'special' trainers can be unlocked utilizing Nintendo WiFi. Are these the notable participants that we already know about? Or will there be a few more that they add in the future via events or something of the like?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Hugh and Corless are only in the PWT during the story part. They aren't part of it after that. They also aren't involved with the Gym Leader portion rather they are part of the Random/Mixed Tournament which just generates random pre-programmed teams as opponents.

As for Red and Blue, those are their official names. Ash and Gary are their Anime Counterparts, but Red and Blue are the actual names for those two characters from R/B/G. Blue is also known as Blue in G/S/HG/SS, the Gym Leader that took over Giovanni's place when he left after being defeated by Red. Red can be battled atop Mount Silver in the Gen 2 games as well.

Red and Blue are the only Game characters to be fully recognized as Champions in the games as well. Blue was recognized as Champion in Gen 1 and Red was recognized as a past Champion in Generation 2.

The sprites for everyone else was not included into the games so I don't know if they'd be able to remotely add them in. Odd are they won't so we will only ever have Champions and Gym Leaders. None of the characters from the Spin Off titles Colosseum are recognized by the main games so they will not make cameos into the games nor will their events be included. Spin off events don't exist in the Main game storylines.

The special character downloads are the teams from the real life people who participated and won various tournaments. The World Tournament participants which just finish will be made into a downloadable update for PWT. So we will get their generic sprites along with their Pokemon teams.

Salient-Z

風来王
Years
Hugh and Corless are only in the PWT during the story part. They aren't part of it after that. They also aren't involved with the Gym Leader portion rather they are part of the Random/Mixed Tournament which just generates random pre-programmed teams as opponents.

As for Red and Blue, those are their official names. Ash and Gary are their Anime Counterparts, but Red and Blue are the actual names for those two characters from R/B/G. Blue is also known as Blue in G/S/HG/SS, the Gym Leader that took over Giovanni's place when he left after being defeated by Red. Red can be battled atop Mount Silver in the Gen 2 games as well.

Red and Blue are the only Game characters to be fully recognized as Champions in the games as well. Blue was recognized as Champion in Gen 1 and Red was recognized as a past Champion in Generation 2.

The sprites for everyone else was not included into the games so I don't know if they'd be able to remotely add them in. Odd are they won't so we will only ever have Champions and Gym Leaders. None of the characters from the Spin Off titles Colosseum are recognized by the main games so they will not make cameos into the games nor will their events be included. Spin off events don't exist in the Main game storylines.

The special character downloads are the teams from the real life people who participated and won various tournaments. The World Tournament participants which just finish will be made into a downloadable update for PWT. So we will get their generic sprites along with their Pokemon teams.

Then Silver should be the official name of your rival in Generation II as well. (Blue, Red, and Silver are all kind of.... bleh names. Very canonical. Wasn't the main name choice for your rival in Pokemon Yellow Gary as well? I mean, he's way better known as Gary than he is by his English name Blue and his Japanese name Green.)

Also thank you for answering my question about the special character downloads.

I still wish there were more combatants like the ones I mentioned...

rubin

czytała Krystyna Czubówna
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
As I predicted before release, PWT is just a watered-down variant of Battle Frontier, which tries too hard to hide it's mediocrity with flashy visual effects and blatant fanservice. If you have a well-trained team, you can literally blast through everything in the matter of seconds, while only occasionally looking at the screen. The only mode that poses any sort of challange is a rental mode, which in turn, has a very limited pool of available Pokemon (gen 5 only) and lacks "tiered" sets of Pokemon ala Battle Factory.

I like BW2, but PWT just doesn't pull it's weight. Can't wait to play a proper Battle Frontier in the predicted RSEmakes.

edit: on a plus side, the remixed gym leader battle themes are pretty awesome

Last edited:

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I wonder if there's going to be a "Create your own downloadable trainer" for the PWT

I'd love to battle my Platinum Team with my Unova team

Infernape, Staraptor, Luxray, Floatzel, Lucario and Roserade
vs
Samurott, Zebstrika, Darmanitan, Unfezant, Hydreigon and Leavanny

I don't car if I spelled names wrong DX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back