• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Coder's Lounge

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Greaaat. two languages I have yet to even dabble on. Guess I'll take a look into Python first, as I got a few calls from recruitment agencies who were saying that Python was being looked for when hiring graduates here.

Years
I'll be honest, I thought Visual Basic was the only language that didn't use the semicolon to end statements. Ruby looks pretty neat

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
Greaaat. two languages I have yet to even dabble on. Guess I'll take a look into Python first, as I got a few calls from recruitment agencies who were saying that Python was being looked for when hiring graduates here.

This is usually the part when someone comes along and mentions that programming languages can be industry-specific and wildly fluctuating from one day to the next, meaning the one important skill you can pick up as an engineer is simply your ability to quickly switch and learn from one language to another. :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
This is usually the part when someone comes along and mentions that programming languages can be industry-specific and wildly fluctuating from one day to the next, meaning the one important skill you can pick up as an engineer is simply your ability to quickly switch and learn from one language to another. :)
Here I am stuck in a rut with JavaScript... :x

Leviathan

Years
Oh I agree! Granted I was daunted by the prospect of trying to understand different languages and their syntaxes, but it turned out to be fun and interesting for me to study. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Am I the only one who's fed up with GUI designers? Those things are litterally only capable of creating gigantic overblown monstrosities and whenever you decide to write your own GUI component it turns out to be a hugh mess getting this thing to actually show up in them.

And then people give me flak whenever I mention that I prefer writing GUIs with a simple text editor. <_<

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Here I am stuck in a rut with JavaScript... :x
What's got you stuck? You learning it still, or have a project at hand?

This is when you learn that the second door is labeled "washroom_mens" and it just has a urinal ($DEITY help you if you're a man and need to go #2, because womenstoilet($male) is not permitted). and this my friends is why php is terrible. use anything else, thank you

Am I the only one who's fed up with GUI designers? Those things are litterally only capable of creating gigantic overblown monstrosities and whenever you decide to write your own GUI component it turns out to be a hugh mess getting this thing to actually show up in them.

And then people give me flak whenever I mention that I prefer writing GUIs with a simple text editor. <_<
Yeah, I definitely feel you there. Even in Linux, things like Qt have taken the text out of UI building. Most of the time I would just use a browser to get things done, whether that's on a server or in Electron/Muon or whatnot is whatever.

Leviathan

Years
Goshhh I love global data-* attributes in HTML5. <3 I've been spending the last few days building a small web based game for a Multimedia assignment and using and abusing data-* values to pass variables from PHP arrays to Javascript. It's been a fast dev'ing process too which is good for me because I don't have a lot of time to spare on this. Oh and using AJAX is a blast too? I only wish that I understood it a bit more.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I'm working on re-creating Minesweeper for a school assignment. We have to use JavaScript and jQuery and I'm already hating this.

I've managed a hacky workaround but it's slowly getting there.

Years
You know what's not cool?

Requiring triple pointers for an assignment

Bad enough that the prof insists on us using double pointers for everything even when there's no logical reason to use a double pointer instead of a single pointer, but this is just ridiculous

(I get that he's trying to be really thorough in teaching us pointers but to require them when they aren't needed just confuses the matter even more honestly, at least for me. If you're going to do that, come up with assignments/examples where they actually are needed to accomplish the task, rather than just using them for the sake of using them)

Last edited:

Leviathan

Years
I'm going through the feedback on my dissertation and at one stage I saw my supervisor ask what I am using XML for? Uhhh maybe because it's used in the design of layouts in the android app that I am building? Like damnnn.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Team projects at school, I tell you...we gat an assignment to write a piece of software for another group of pupils at school. Leaving out the fact that I'm in that one group who was not allowed to demand another group to build some software for me, I also managed to get the most competent team members.

It's only a two man team, mind you. Thing is: my first partner bailed out and moved back one year leaving me on my own. Shortly after I got a replacement. Haven't heard anything from him for months. Well, supposedly he just doesn't want to go to school, for whatever reason, as well. Doesn't change the fact, that I'm on my own, again. It also doesn't help, that my teacher told us, to write a 15 papers long assignment including documentation, specs, test scenarios, etc.

Well, at least I got pretty far into the development of this thing and I also happen to still have my LaTeX template I made for another assignment. Also, next year I need to develop something on my own anyway, so: good practice, I guess?

I also learnt a bit about OOP GUI development, so that's nice.

Years
Team projects at school, I tell you...we gat an assignment to write a piece of software for another group of pupils at school. Leaving out the fact that I'm in that one group who was not allowed to demand another group to build some software for me, I also managed to get the most competent team members.

It's only a two man team, mind you. Thing is: my first partner bailed out and moved back one year leaving me on my own. Shortly after I got a replacement. Haven't heard anything from him for months. Well, supposedly he just doesn't want to go to school, for whatever reason, as well. Doesn't change the fact, that I'm on my own, again. It also doesn't help, that my teacher told us, to write a 15 papers long assignment including documentation, specs, test scenarios, etc.

Well, at least I got pretty far into the development of this thing and I also happen to still have my LaTeX template I made for another assignment. Also, next year I need to develop something on my own anyway, so: good practice, I guess?

I also learnt a bit about OOP GUI development, so that's nice.

Well, at least you're learning something from it lol

One of my classes way back when I was in psychology, we were assigned groups right at the beginning of the semester to work together on a literature review. One of the girls in the group I think answered the initial e-mail sent out deciding on a time and place to meet, but she never showed up and halfway through the semester we hadn't heard a word from her, so we informed the professor, who said she would look after it and that we could hand in a slightly reduced version of the assignment. We never heard anything else after that, so just assumed that the girl had either dropped the course, or the professor had assigned her alternate work since halfway through the semester is a little late to start pitching in.

Then, at the end of the semester, twenty minutes before the assignment was due (and after we'd handed it in and were all chilling celebrating the last day of class) the girl sends an e-mail with "her part" of the assignment (which was about 75% useless anyway because she had written about topics and articles that the rest of us had already covered).

Honestly I really wonder about some people sometimes. I can tolerate a lot of crap but when people just straight up don't bother to communicate it drives me crazy. And being 10 years older than my classmates now with actual work/life experience behind me... I feel like I'm herding goldfish sometimes lol (not that every 17/18-year-old is like that, I've had at least one solid dependable person in every group so far, but some just very obviously aren't ready for the responsibility yet)

I've been declared "Team Mom" several times now

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
The way how Delphi handles interfaces has got to be the weirdest and stupidest way that I've ever seen.

Basically, when you want to implement an interface, you automatically subscribe to implement three specific methods as well, whose only purpose is to keep track of the weird reference counting those interfaces do. From what I understand that's also the reason why in Delphi you can specify multiple interfaces alongside a class the implementing class inherits from. Delphi by itself is only single-inheritance.

Looking at different tutorials, the way people get around that issue is deriving the class from a class called TInterfacedObject whose only purpose is to implement those three methods. However, if you do that, since Delphi is only single inheritance, you lose out on the ability to derive from another class. So, if you don't want that you end up copying them anyway.

Years
Do you guys have any experience with Java Applets? I was tasked with making educational interactive materials for kids about basic data structures. And because I was working pretty much only in Java for the last year I was thinking about using it for this.

Also, I wanted to make real life example for each structure. I was thinking about comparing queue to the queue in the school cafeteria, but I don't know what I should compare to stack. Do you have any ideas?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Do you guys have any experience with Java Applets? I was tasked with making educational interactive materials for kids about basic data structures. And because I was working pretty much only in Java for the last year I was thinking about using it for this.

Also, I wanted to make real life example for each structure. I was thinking about comparing queue to the queue in the school cafeteria, but I don't know what I should compare to stack. Do you have any ideas?

I haven't tried Java applets yet, actually. I'm trying to kinda stay away from Java as it's slowly dying at least in my eyes.

As for data structures, a good reference for a queue is probably some kind of line for service, so a school cafeteria is probably a good bet. For a stack, the most common comparison is a stack of identical plates. When you want to pop/retrieve data from your stack, you're taking a single plate off the top of the stack to use it. When you're pushing/adding data to the stack, you're putting a clean plate on the stack to use later.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I?ve been working on the build tool for our game engine, ???, writing both the tool and the engine itself in D.

It takes a stacked solution/project approach that?s similar to Visual Studio, but the solution is headed by a small INI file that contains Git URLs along with some metadata. Those repos get cloned and have their own project INIs along with their sources, which are compiled together and linked statically into a single executable.

The engine isn?t purely D, though: C and C++ source code are important to have in some cases. The build tool uses the LLVM toolchain to produce D code as well as C and C++, and with the LLD linker it can perform link-time optimisation across both file and language boundaries. Since everything?s bundled statically this should be great for optimisation. It also means building on *nix and Windows happens with the same tools.

The build tool will also (eventually) help facilitate development and release cycles, which I wrote about here. My deadline for a functioning build tool and engine stub is at the end of May, but with how much progress I?ve made so far I might be able to start working on these things afterward, too!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I managed to pull 70% on my project in my programming class and I'm pretty happy about it. I have a strange suspicion that it might also be one of, if not the, highest mark in the class. :x

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
It sure is something special when you come back from school to work and get assigned to write an algorithm for water flow analysis and you realize that your math skills have degraded more than you'd like to.

Well, I know what I'll be doing the next few days, or weeks, or months or how long it may take. :laugh-squinted:

Back