• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Why does this Generation receive so much hate?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Well, as the title says... Why does Generation VII receive so much hate? I know that there are common gripes (some of which I share), like the hand holding and lack of Gyms and other features, but Jeez Louise, the amount of hate Gen VII receives is disgusting, there are so many petty excuses fans use, that I can't list off because there's to many of them and the excuses are all stupid and easily refutable.

Fans have been whining about "soulless characters" and have had high demand for "realistic" characters, which Gen VII gave us.

Fans whined about Alola being too small, I agree that it was quite small and lacked more towns and cities, but overall, I enjoyed Alola and the characters it had to offer.

I think most of the hate stems from the reveal of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, due to the high expectations for the Switch game.

MysteryGift

disassembly tinkerer / pkmnubuntu dev
Years
Only gripe I have is the region being too small, but they really were pushing the limitations of the hardware. The frame drops were a bit annoying too.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Looks like people aren't ready to accept change (the Island Challenge), and expected their unrealistic expectations to be realized (seriously, why would they release a Switch game for Gen VII?).

A few people I've seen also cited that its music is forgettable, Lillie is unnecessary (you read that right), and, like Generation V, its Pokémon designs suck, among other things.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Every gen gets its share of hate really. Can't please everyone and all that. You hear more Gen 7 hate these days because they're the newest games. The other gens are kind of a "been there done that" thing and so you hear less.

But I have my own share of problems with this gen, largely the lacking story and character development, and how it's basically just Game Freak continuing to follow their formula year after year instead of taking the time to make something truly great.

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
I'm gonna be honest, I don't think it gets that much hate...If anything, it's getting an overwhelming amount of underwhelmingness...

It might just be because I lived through Generation IV and V, which were pretty much the two most controversial generations, but VII doesn't seem to have as much hate, albeit, it also doesn't have a whole lot of love either...It's just lackluster...Everyone's either content or discontent...

Years
I wish they'd put their resources into getting USUM done in more time than less time, honestly. Their renewed momentum hot off the success of Pokémon GO has shown little sign of further disruption, and it seems the fanbase fully expected better games than what they did bring out.

Still, everyone has differing opinions to what would make this generation better. It's still Pokémon, to me, anyway.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Well, i for once don't like generations with no Eeveelutions (3, 5 and now 7)

blue

gucci
Years
I don't think seventh gen receives as much backlash as previous gens, though admittedly I have seen a lot of people slating these games for the numerous amount of changes (which is a given with any new generation to be fair).

I personally don't have a real issue with them, my only gripe is the removal of Gyms but other than that I find SM & USUM to be solid games in the franchise. Idk, maybe people are getting tired of the third game concept seeing it as a cash grab or maybe the new Pokemon designs doesn't "feel" like Pokémon anymore.

Venks

Water Pokémon Master
Years
I personally really like Generation VII. The characters are the biggest pull for me, I really enjoy Lillie and Gladion and find them more engaging than most Pokemon characters. The Alola region felt very real and connected, I enjoyed the silly culture the place had. The trials were hit or miss, but I enjoyed most of them.

Years
Even now, I'm still a dedicated supporter of these games, especially Ultra. The Totem fights were something cool to take, I liked a lot of the Pokemon, and there really was a lot for me to appreciate. I won't say that the games are without their downsides, because they aren't, but I think the good outweighs the bad for me for sure.

Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
I like the games fine, I also had the experience of playing Red and Blue as my first pokemon games. There wasn't any story then, so I have no qualms against a smaller story or not. In Red and Blue I just made up a story in my own head, bout the only story I can think for those is team Rocket, and not sure you'd consider it a story...meh I just decided I was from another planet. :P

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Looks like people aren't ready to accept change (the Island Challenge)

Funnily enough, last generation I was hearing quite a lot of complaints about Pokemon getting stale because the whole "get starter, beat gyms, destroy evil team, become champion" thing had been overdone for six generations straight. This generation put a really neat twist on this concept and was the change that the series needed to stop it from stagnating. I find it somewhat weird that even now, I'm seeing people wanting gyms back because they don't like the concept of trials despite it fitting with the region lore. Surely that won't cause the series to stagnate even more, turning people off from the series?

But anyway, I think the whole hate thing is just a cycle. As stated before, you tend to get the hate stemming from the newest game in the series because more people are talking about it right now. Come the next generation, and we're likely to start seeing a lot of praise for Gen VII much like what happened last gen with Gen V. Another thing I've noticed is the fact that everyone lost their minds when USUM were revealed, but this is probably because everyone was expecting Stars or a Switch game reveal, and also the low reception of SM in general. Another complaint I've seen with USUM a lot is that it's the exact same game, but to be honest Emerald had that problem as well.

I personally liked this generation, it was a refreshing change from the previous 6.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
Another major point of contention for the Gen VII hate, that hasn't been covered in previous generations, is that people harp on how greedy Gamefreak has been as of late (and really since X/Y). Paying for Pokebank being the only means of cross-gen transportation, the forced Same-gen incompatibility, the overall incompleteness of the base games from X/Y onwards, etc.
A lot of people are really mad at Gamefreak for doing this stuff recently, on top of the general problems that people have with the games. You don't see it quite as often as these often come from less vocal people.

I, myself, liked Sun/Moon for what it is; despite the problems it had with pacing and overall underwhelming size of the game, because most of what the games introduced was fantastic. Ultra Sun/Moon, on the other hand, I do not recommend anyone to play that game over the original game unless you a "challenge" that badly you are willing to deal with difficulty balance that feels like someone made a hack of the game or you want to keep up to date on the competitive metagame. USUM also represents everything bad about Gamefreak as a company, which also hurts my impression of it a lot.

Last edited:
Years
My issues with Gen 7 was touched upon by Orithan. I really liked Sun and Moon - the pokemon, the storyline, Team Skull, the characters and the environments were a lot of fun and, although I did have issues with stuff like the Trials, Hau, the linearity and the lack of post game, if the next main series game marked the 8th generation I would say that Gen 7 was good overall. However, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon really soured Generation 7 for me. The storyline was ruined and felt incredibly clunky in places, very little was actually changed (unlike in Black 2 and White 2), there was more Hau and the Ultra Recon Squad was hyped up for no reason. Whilst there were improvements, and I liked the few new pokemon introduced, I felt that the games were overall a detriment to my perspective on Generation 7.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
I thought it was pretty cool, the only thing I would change at all really would have been to make the game last even longer with even more exploration.

Last edited:

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
I don't think the games were bad, per-se, just...forgettable. The island challenges were fun when I played them, but I don't remember them like I remember Gym puzzles or particular leaders from other generations. A lot of the Pokemon designs were pretty average (though some, like the starters and Mimikyu should be considered all time classics) and the characters and evil team seemed pretty bland - a problem brought over from X and Y, but anything following Team Plasma's brilliant story is going to struggle methinks.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
It is definitely the no gyms and childish trials that gets my dislike. As a long term fan, I am getting tired of the revamp back to original kanto idea, but I can see its importance. Newer fans need to appreciate the old stuff and origin stories relate to all levels of fans. I just think they need the NEW region and ideas for the next ten instead of repetitious fall back to originals. I would even like a newer pokemon to really get some hype to compete with favorable Pikachu and Eevee icons for pokemon. Let's go creators!

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
I would even like a newer pokemon to really get some hype to compete with favorable Pikachu and Eevee icons for pokemon. Let's go creators!
I'm afraid that that's not possible. Pikachu, Eevee, and other gen 1 pokemon will always be the icons of Pokemon because they led to the brand's popularity. Others just followed. However better newer ones are, the older Pokemon will always play the nostalgia card to appeal the veteran players. I agree with you and hope that new Pokemon will do something to change the brand's star icons, but we can't do anything. Nostalgia trumps all.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
The trials are probably one of the biggest issues people have. I enjoyed them, but they definitely didnt feel the same as gyms. Could just be used to the old ways though.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
Yes, I agree. The trials are waaaaaay to easy. The first one, for example? Cakewalk. Even the Kommo-o trial took me one Moonblast and he died. That's it. That was the damn Poni trial in SM. I was so disappointed when that happened. Maybe another reason is that the entire game was basically a tutorial. For veterans and slightly serious players, the game was probably boring. If any of you have heard about a game like Pkmn Insurgence, you know the level curve. Heck, Platinum's battle against Cynthia pissed me off. But one from SM? I actually was able to almost beat Kukui's Lycanroc, but I forced my pokemon to faint so I could rebattle the league again for exp points. My Ash Greninja was lvl. 80 + when I beat the league. No items used, BTW. It was too easy. Perhaps the only thing that improved was the competitive scene, which I am still new too. And the damn ride pokemon music probably drove half the damned player base from the game. That nightmarish cacophony which the game takes for "music" is so fricking annoying! What the (pardon my language) hell were they thinking??!

Back