• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Book Club

Years

Book Club
stack-of-books-in-home-interior-picture-id532852345

Welcome to the book club! This is the place where you can discuss your favourite books of any genre! You can share your thoughts and feelings about a recent read, recommend books to others, or discuss plot lines with like-minded people! If you love books and have a passion for reading, this is the place for you! We welcome all members with open arms!

giphy.webp

Rules and Guidelines:

-All existing PokeCommunity rules apply

-Please be respectful to all members. It's completely normal to disagree or offer different views or opinions, however, please do so in a civil manner

-Be sure to specify the book(s) you are discussing to prevent any confusion​

Sign-Up Sheet:​
Name/Nickname:
Favourite Book:
Favourite Author:​

Members:​
Midnight Umbreon, Astinus, Cherrim, Lycanthropy, Bay, Charlie Brown, TheGhostHunter, Bobandbill, Baire, Desert Stream, Aslan, VisionOfMilotic, Benjamin​

Last edited:

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
Ooh a book club? heck yes!

Name/Nickname: Calzone407
Favourite Book: Rangers Apprentice
Favourite Author: Christopher Polini. Maybe? I've read a lot of books kind of hard to pick a favorite author

Years
Favourite Book: Rangers Apprentice

This brings me down memory lane! I read Rangers Apprentice back in 6th grade when I was part of an actual book club. I remember thoroughly enjoying it, so much so that I never actually returned the book to the school library (hehehe) and I still have it do this day. I haven't touched the novel in years, however, it was a superb read and it had quite the interesting plot. Perhaps I should read it again.

Last edited:

Midnight Umbreon

Years
This brings me down memory lane! I read Rangers Apprentice back in 6th grade when I was part of an actual book club. I remember thoroughly enjoying it, so much so that I never actually returned the book to the school library (hehehe) and I still have it do this day. I haven't touched the novel in years, however, it was a superb read and it had quite the interesting plot. Perhaps I should read it again.

Great! it is nice to see someone on the internet who has also read them. Did you know that there is going to be another one? Book 13, and I heard some rumors about a movie. (Am praying that won't happen) Movies adapted from a book is always horrible

Years
Great! it is nice to see someone on the internet who has also read them. Did you know that there is going to be another one? Book 13, and I heard some rumors about a movie. (Am praying that won't happen) Movies adapted from a book is always horrible

In all honesty, I've only read Ruins of Gorlan. I unfortunately was never able to locate any of the other books in the series. Although, I did indeed hear rumors about the series being made into a movie. If that's true, even though action movies don't exactly appeal to me, I would absolutely love to see it.

Midnight Umbreon

Years
In all honesty, I've only read Ruins of Gorlan. I unfortunately was never able to locate any of the other books in the series. Although, I did indeed hear rumors about the series being made into a movie. If that's true, even though action movies don't exactly appeal to me, I would absolutely love to see it.

Oh, well. The other books are just as good, and if you live near a library, or just have access to one, you should read the others, their all pretty good

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I'll join! Always enjoy a good discussion about reading! And I'm always on the search for new books to read.

Name/Nickname: Astinus
Favourite Book: Ender's Game
Favourite Author: Orson Scott Card

I'm currently reading the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. Anyone else read them?

I kind of miss the days when my favorite author was really obvious here.

Years
I'll join! Always enjoy a good discussion about reading! And I'm always on the search for new books to read.

Name/Nickname: Astinus
Favourite Book: Ender's Game
Favourite Author: Orson Scott Card

I'm currently reading the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. Anyone else read them?

I kind of miss the days when my favorite author was really obvious here.

Welcome! You're definitely in the right place. Anyways, the Redwall series looks rather intriguing, how are you enjoying it thus far?

I'm currently reading a novel titled Traveling Light by Lynne Branard. The characters in it are certainly quirky, if not atypical, however, the story so far is really excellent. I'm only 63 pages in and I'm already fairly invested.

Last edited:

Midnight Umbreon

Years
So I know it's a bit early to start a conversation, but have either of you ever read a series of unfortunate events?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Excite!!!! I love reading!!

Name/Nickname: Erica / Cherrim
Favourite Book: Sphere by Michael Crichton, but my fave book that I read recently was The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. :3
Favourite Author: Michael Crichton although I worry that if I went back to reread all my faves, I'd find them too misogynistic/right-wing :x

I'm currently reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by uhhhhh... Garth Stein. It's told from the POV of a dog and it's very weird right now, but hard to put down. It will be the 57th book I've read this year, because apparently I am crazy. ????

Years
I do apologize for not formally introducing myself when I initially created this club. Anyways, I thought I'd share a little bit about myself and my undying love of reading.

My real name is Adele (no, I can't sing before anyone asks.) Anyways, I've loved reading for the entirety of my seventeen years of living. Fun fact, in the second grade, I was already at a grade 6 reading level. English has always been my strongest subject and I'm currently in an Advanced Placement english program at my high school (or I will be when school officially begins in September.) My love of this subject, of course, is fueled by my passion for reading and writing.

I have a plethora of books that I'd consider my favourites, including but not limited to: Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick, Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick, the Wake series by Lisa McMann, and Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. I generally prefer romance, drama, historical fiction, adventure, and mystery novels. My favourites often are ones that tend to be centralized around realistic, imperfect characters who learn to cope with and overcome their internal/external struggles. I find realism in characters to be incredibly refreshing, I love seeing the humanity in protagonists and antagonists alike and I enjoy three dimensional characters that have utterly complex personalities and continually evolve as a story unravels. Might I add, I often shy away from fantasy or sci-fi novels, however, there are a select few that I thoroughly enjoy in these two particular genres. (I.e Hunger Games, Divergent series, etc.) As of late, I've been reading a lot of poetry and quote books and I've fallen in love with them. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur is a superb one that I'd highly recommend.

My favourite authors include John Green (Cliche, I know. He's simply marvelous though) and Becca Fitzpatrick. (if you couldn't already tell.) Anyways, if there's anything you guys would like to know about me, please, feel free to ask. I'm an open book, truly. (Ahaha I'm hilarious.)

giphy.webp

Excite!!!! I love reading!!

Name/Nickname: Erica / Cherrim
Favourite Book: Sphere by Michael Crichton, but my fave book that I read recently was The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. :3
Favourite Author: Michael Crichton although I worry that if I went back to reread all my faves, I'd find them too misogynistic/right-wing :x

I'm currently reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by uhhhhh... Garth Stein. It's told from the POV of a dog and it's very weird right now, but hard to put down. It will be the 57th book I've read this year, because apparently I am crazy. ??????

You're not crazy at all, hun. You're brilliant! 57 books? Now that's quite the accomplishment. I'm jealous, you inspire me to read more. I've read a solid 7 books this year, if that. As much as I adore reading, I am quite the scatterbrain at times and I often get distracted, never mind balancing school, work and a social life. I do need to take more time to just sit down, relax and dive into a good book.

Anyways, The Art of Racing in the Rain sounds rather peculiar, although, I have a tremendous love for dogs so I can already tell that I'd enjoy it.

So I know it's a bit early to start a conversation, but have either of you ever read a series of unfortunate events?

No, I have not. Although, the name sounds oddly familiar.

Last edited:

Midnight Umbreon

Years
tenor.gif
It is about three children who have an enormous fortune, but are very unfortunate, inn the first book their parents perish in a terrible fire, perish means - yeah, you probably know what perish means, anyway they are sent to live with an evil man named count Olaf, who does spoilery things to them. sounds bad but they are good books, and sometimes even funny

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Heyy, I love reading! I'm afraid I don't have as much time to read anymore these days as I want to, but I've slowly started catching up on my huge backlog during my Summer break.

Name/Nickname: Lycan
Favourite Book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Favourite Authors: Douglas Adams, Terry Goodkind, Agatha Christie

Last edited:
Years
tenor.gif
It is about three children who have an enormous fortune, but are very unfortunate, inn the first book their parents perish in a terrible fire, perish means - yeah, you probably know what perish means, anyway they are sent to live with an evil man named count Olaf, who does spoilery things to them. sounds bad but they are good books, and sometimes even funny

That does sound very peculiar. Perhaps I'll have to check it out. May I ask, what genre of books do you prefer?

Heyy, I love reading! I'm afraid I don't have as much time to read anymore these days as I want to, but I've slowly started catching up on my huge backlog during my Summer break.

Name/Nickname: Lycan
Favourite Book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Favourite Authors: Douglas Adams, Terry Goodkind, Agatha Christie

Welcome! You have lovely taste. Agatha Christie is a favourite of mine, too. Even though many of her books were written decades ago her work is truly timeless and her writing style is so unique and enthralling. What's your favourite book of hers? I did enjoy And Then There Were None the most. It's such a thrilling novel that is full of countless twists and turns and you never can fully grasp what's about to happen. Her work tends to have so much mysteriosity to it and it never fails to excite me!

Last edited:

Midnight Umbreon

Years
That does sound very peculiar. Perhaps I'll have to check it out. May I ask, what genre of books do you prefer?

Welcome! You have lovely taste. Agatha Christie is a favourite of mine, too. Even though many of her books were written decades ago her work is truly timeless and her writing style is so unique and enthralling. What's your favourite book of hers? I did enjoy And Then There Were None the most. It's such a thrilling novel that is full of countless twists and turns and you never can fully grasp what's about to happen. Her work tends to have so much mysteriosity to it and it never fails to excite me!
Sci-fi fantasy mostly, but every now and then I like a good mystery book. And then that section of book were you wonder, what the heck section does this even belong in?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Thanks for the welcome!

I can't pick a favorite genre of books. My favorite author is known for sci-fi, but I don't read a lot of sci-fi. I've read a lot of fantasy, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite. Really, I just read whatever strikes my fancy, no matter what genre it's in.

Welcome! You're definitely in the right place. Anyways, the Redwall series looks rather intriguing, how are you enjoying it thus far?
They're pretty decent books, especially in the beginning of the series. Towards the end of the series (and Jacques's life), the storylines begin to seem like the same thing in every book. I can say the same for the characterization, but Jacques writes that in a particular way because the books are meant for children.

I'm in the middle of that series right now! Took a break so I could finish reading the Redwall books, but I plan on continuing ASoUE next. While they are dark, the way that Snicket writes can get hilarious. It's also bizarre just the situations that the children can get into with the characters that they meet.

I can't remember if I read Sphere or not, but a few years back, I went on a Crichton binge. Timeline and Next were my favorites out of the ones that I read, but--like you--I wonder if I'll find the problems that you're worried about.

Years
I just finished Traveling Light, the novel that I was reading. I managed to read 217 pages today and I didn't initially plan on reaching the ending of the book, however, I couldn't resist. I was unable to set the book down, my eyes were firmly glued to the parchment.

Every time I finish a book I feel a mix of contentment and sorrow, as well as a certain emptiness. It may sound weird, but, it's almost as if I'm internally mourning the conclusion of a book. I currently feel like I don't know what to do with myself after devoting so much time to reading. Does anyone else feel that way? Perhaps I'm alone in this and my apparent attachment to novels and to the written word is uncanny.

30011023.jpg

Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed Traveling Light. It was the type of story that's rather unpredictable. Even during the denouenment did I continually question and speculate about the events that were to occur. The novel was fascinationing and presented a deeper meaning about the utter importance of spontaneity and living life according to your own rules, and ultimately doing whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years

Thanks for the warm welcome! I don't think I've read that one book yet. I'm not entirely sure though, since I (mostly) read the Dutch translations and I don't really want to look up the plot because spoilers.

Either way, she has written so many books that it's hard to pick just one favorite. I really enjoyed The A.B.C. Murders and Cards on the Table, both are quite unique in their own way with a couple of rather unexpected twists of their own. The biggest twist however is definitely that of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. The book is so fantastically written as a whole, and my mind was blown entirely when it reached the conclusion. I wish I could tell you more about it, but huge spoiler alert.

I just finished Traveling Light, the novel that I was reading. I managed to read 217 pages today and I didn't initially plan on reaching the ending of the book, however, I couldn't resist. I was unable to set the book down, my eyes were firmly glued to the parchment.

Every time I finish a book I feel a mix of contentment and sorrow, as well as a certain emptiness. It may sound weird, but, it's almost as if I'm internally mourning the conclusion of a book. I currently feel like I don't know what to do with myself after devoting so much time to reading. Does anyone else feel that way? Perhaps I'm alone in this and my apparent attachment to novels and to the written word is uncanny.
Same here! When I find a good book, I'm never able to stop reading. That's one of the reasons why I rarely read outside of my vacation: I'd end up neglecting homework and everything just to finish my book. More than often I notice I tell myself "just one more chapter and then I go to bed" several times on one night.

And wow, I totally recognize that as well. Reaching the ending is great on one hand, because you get the satisfying feeling of all the pieces falling together or the story reaching its conclusion. On the other hand, finishing a book also means you have to find something else to read and can no longer enjoy the characters unless you read the same story again. Of course, the feeling can easily be avoided by simply reading books that are part of a sereis, then you can freely move on to the next part. ;]

Years
Thanks for the warm welcome! I don't think I've read that one book yet. I'm not entirely sure though, since I (mostly) read the Dutch translations and I don't really want to look up the plot because spoilers.

Either way, she has written so many books that it's hard to pick just one favorite. I really enjoyed The A.B.C. Murders and Cards on the Table, both are quite unique in their own way with a couple of rather unexpected twists of their own. The biggest twist however is definitely that of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. The book is so fantastically written as a whole, and my mind was blown entirely when it reached the conclusion. I wish I could tell you more about it, but huge spoiler alert.

I started reading Cards on the Table, however, I was unable to finish it as it was an overdue library book. I think I only got 1/3 of the way in but it was an excellent novel from what I could tell. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was one that I have yet to read. I've always found that it's impossible to find Agatha Christie novels at book stores, despite her being so widely renowned. If I manage to locate it I'll certainly give it a read.

Same here! When I find a good book, I'm never able to stop reading. That's one of the reasons why I rarely read outside of my vacation: I'd end up neglecting homework and everything just to finish my book. More than often I notice I tell myself "just one more chapter and then I go to bed" several times on one night.

And wow, I totally recognize that as well. Reaching the ending is great on one hand, because you get the satisfying feeling of all the pieces falling together or the story reaching its conclusion. On the other hand, finishing a book also means you have to find something else to read and can no longer enjoy the characters unless you read the same story again. Of course, the feeling can easily be avoided by simply reading books that are part of a sereis, then you can freely move on to the next part. ;]

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one. There's been so many nights where I stay up incredibly late reading simply because I can't put a book down.

There's been instances in which I've reached the conclusion of a series and have proceeded to weep. Usually tears of joy in the case of a happy ending. As I previously stated, I do have a tendency to be rather sentimental and get attached to books.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Hey, since I'm the fanfic mod here guess it's apparent that I'll join!

Name/Nickname: Bay
Favourite Book: The Things They Carried by Tim O' Brien
Favourite Author: Tim O' Brien, Dennis Lehane, Neil Gaiman

Currently I've been reading more fanfics than published novels, but I hope to set aside some reading time once real life and fandom projects gets less hectic.

On the topic of feeling sad when finished reading a book, I felt that way when I was done with my last published read, Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I was reading the book on and off for several weeks, and when I finally finished it I was like, "awww that's all?" haha.

Last edited:
Back