• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
They're not the most appealing of things, but I do strongly believe they could have added a variation in the poses. They could have just made sprites that mimic their artwork and that would have been fine in my eyes.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Seems this is more of a discussion based off of opinions on the trio's designs, and our Likes/Dislikes thread already covers that. I'll go ahead and merge it over there.

As for my opinion, I agree that they are too similar in design, but that doesn't bother me too much. :B

iTeruri

iAm
Years
Just like any generation before; I don't hate any of them. I dislike some of them, but don't outright hate their designs. And I actually quite like this generation (generation two is still the best, but this one is quite close).

That being said, I don't quite like Gothitelle. Gothita and Gothorita are fine, but Gothitelle's hair is just so weird.

ScraftyHood

Scrafty Metal Head
Years
I love the 5th Gens. Sure, there are some that look like they'd try to hard to gain your love, but I put it like this: If the generations were switched, 5th being first, 4th beind second etc., how would your opinions change?

That's just my opinion of course.

PrinceTrase

Make that sacrifice . . .
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2011
I favorite design has to be Bisharp. He reminds me of Gundam Wing and all that robot stuff. Least favorite is the Kling Klank evolution. That's very original guys . . .

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
Genesect and his kool "new" design

Ok I a super exited about Genesect was the best hunter in prehistoric times and was experimented on be team plasma KOOLLLLL. the only problem is his design is possibly the least original thing in the world ive seen it 100 times. heres some examples.
how-to-draw-ultimate-echo-echo.jpg
A cartoon character thats on a show my 6 year old bro watches

card64.jpg
A card from a online card game i used to play

Now compare them to this
genesect_by_pokefaktory-d3bbyfd.png

Now just because his design isn't original doesn't mean i don't like him don't get the wrong idea hes awesome.
feel free to add more exaples

Hybird Mess

The Northen Light
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011
If you ask me many pokemon sprites have stoped being pokemon and more yu gi oh :/

Hybird Mess

The Northen Light
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011
I caught blue eyes white dragon in an ordinary pokeball

LOL God dam it I wasted my Master on it.

As for Genesect I don't think he's got it to bad as he could be to original like Pidove Aka a different skined Pidgy :L

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
Yah but you got to give them credit they came up with over 600 pokemon

Jdwg1337

Almost Chuck Norris
Years
*facepalm*
really? out of all the new pokemon in Gen V you chose Genesect as the one your gonna play the "unoriginal" card on? He's one of the more original ones if anything, any robotic looking creature/thing is going to look somewhat similair to other robotic looking things, thats a given. If anything i'd be b**ching about how unoriginal Ducklett is (literally a picture of a duck painted blue), or even (previously mentioned) Pidove.

marcc5m

what
Years
If you ask me many pokemon sprites have stoped being pokemon and more yu gi oh :/

And what exactly looks like a Pokemon?
It still amazes me how people look at these Pokemon--yes, I called them Pokemon, deal with it--and still complain that they look un-original, when they are far more original then eighty percent of Kanto. The only reason people say this, is because Unova are newer, and the designs are more aimed at slightly older kids, whereas most older designs were directed at younger kids. I think they expected fans to grow up with the designs, but honestly it looks like they were almost completely wrong. If Unova was the first generation, and Kanto the newer one, people would complain that they look too boring and cute. Looks like people will always moan about something. Nobody's ever content with what they get :\

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
Years
In a sense, nothing is really original. For us to think of an image, we have to base that image off of things we have seen before, or else we would never imagine anything. Take Pidgey for example..Hes based off of a pidgeon right? So does that mean hes not original? Same as take..Most Dragon types. Like Charizard..They are based off the sense of a dragon figure right? *shrugs*. Now for look a likes, its the same...

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 20, 2011
It still amazes me how people look at these Pokemon--yes, I called them Pokemon, deal with it--and still complain that they look un-original, when they are far more original then eighty percent of Kanto. The only reason people say this, is because Unova are newer, and the designs are more aimed at slightly older kids, whereas most older designs were directed at younger kids. I think they expected fans to grow up with the designs, but honestly it looks like they were almost completely wrong. If Unova was the first generation, and Kanto the newer one, people would complain that they look too boring and cute. Looks like people will always moan about something. Nobody's ever content with what they get :\
^This. I was even thinking about this the other day. I had been complaining to myself that I was battling with a trash bag, an almost realistic swan, and a regular hermit crab, when I realized something...You seriously can't complain. In Gen I we had mimes, eggs, and a blob with a face. Moltres is just a regular phoenix that hasn't died and come back in front of us yet. If you want to complain about Pokemon borrowing too much from real life or other legends/stories/creations of the human mind, start with Kanto, they're the worst offenders. Name one way Leavanny is less original than Butterfree or Beedrill. Or tell me how Mr. Mime is more creative than Reuniclus. There's good and bad from each generation; people just don't want to accept that for some reason.

Hectic

Dew yew liek Tyranitars?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 16, 2013
Yeah they did this alot throughout the generations. Its stupid, they should just become more creative.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
Years
Uh. This is just more of a coincidence. They're not borrowing from anything heavily except for the usual mythology, objects, animals, etc. (In the case of Genesect, they're basing it off of prehistoric insects (or moreover creatures in general) being revived and mangled by technology.

For Genesect's case, it has the body of an insect while being a robot and having a cannon attached to it, showing how much Team Plasma modified it beyond what good people should do. It may have some similarity to those robots from other cartoons, but this don't really go that far. I can make any oblong headed robot look like Genesect's general structure too, you know. I really thought it's creative to have an genetic insect, or rather a Bug-type legendary. Very bold.

The disdain sort of reminds me of how people look down at Pokémon'sEnglish names when they just get released (And their initial preference to their Japanese names too). The Dragonfly's Cave had a good rant against that.

http://www.dragonflycave.com/guess.aspx

Of course, it's still all people's opinion ~ I'm just looking things a lot more optimistically than others, especially for this generation, ehehe... ^^;

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
Years
Discussion is flowing nicely, so I'm just going to merge this into the Like and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon thread.

Hybird Mess

The Northen Light
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011

Well Tbh the "pokemon" looks is compleatly down to peference :) I've always seen pokemon as animals with a "super ability" and then a natural looking way of getting them Aka Pikachu a mouse with electric and the electric comes from the read patches on its cheeks, Unlike Yu gi oh i see as creatures that get up-graded due to spells and such E.g Genesect looks like a bug thats been up graded with the bug cannon (Yeah go old school yh gi oh ! ) that's what I mean but as i said it's down to peferences and if it wasn't down to us moaning i guess we would have loads of pokemon like Pidove, Ducklett Ect cause we wouldn't be challenging the designers to come up with new ideas. :)

P.s Us English love a good moan ! :L

Back