• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you hate seeing in stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyx_X

The Onyx Knight
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 27, 2012
If it's done right I don't need details. I've read stories that desribed everything pretty decently, but the author clearly thought that made the story an instant hit. 9For any hyper mods there may be, this is what I hate to see in a story as well, right here)
The ones I have up on PC have little detail, and are all around, just plain. I've only posted them for the sake of argument; no one can say I haven't contributed.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I can't stand the fact that 99% of fanfiction (not necessarily Pokefiction but you know) is freaking romance stories. Where are the stories of conquest? Of courage? Of justice? Of murder mysteries? We need more of those.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I HAVE THE WORST TIMING. EVER.
to lose my internet, and I can't possibly reply to everything that's been said, so I'm going to go with this page.

Creepypasta and horror fics are actually my favorite type of story - if done right. Making my heart physically race or giving me goosebumps while I'm reading is doing it right. If there is just random blood and gore with a 'twist' it makes me want to just sigh, sit the writer down, and ask them what really made them think this was creepy/scary. I could go on all day about atmosphere, subtlety, and the use of the human psyche, but I'm not sure they'd understand until they've truly been terrified themselves. Fear of what is in front of them is not what scares people, it's largely fear of the unknown. (i.e. Is this monster nice? Will it attack me? Where did it come from? Are there more? Will I die? What will happen when I die? Is it painful?)
Actually, connoisseur of horror and all things gore that I am, I can't seem to stomach Pokemon creepypasta fics by virtue of them being written by people who look at good creepypasta and basically think that "yeah, I could do this." I mean, there's nothing wrong with spontaneous writing if it helps with your creative juices, but when you copypaste plots with no added content, expecting praise for your bone-chillingly scary piece of pokecreepypasta despite only switching around names and the twist but keeping the general premise similar, then I'm sorry, you're just not going to get it from me. You cannot believe how many times I've found a pokecreepypasta thread plots like:

• MY OLD R/G/B/Gl/S/C GAME IS HAUNTED
  • CREEPY CANON-FILLING THEORY
  • RETELLING OF AN IN-GAME EVENT
  • CREEPY STORY OF SOME SORT INVOLVING AN OC
Okay, I admit. Those last two are sometimes written well, but very rarely might I add. The first two are overused. Definitely overused. Beyond the Lavender Town theory and Ash's Coma, there's nothing much worth reading because they're mostly unplanned.

Oh, did I mention the first lines?

• Did you know that...
  • It all started when I...
  • I hadn't played Pokemon in years...
  • I remember...
  • etc.
Anyway...
I can't stand the fact that 99% of fanfiction (not necessarily Pokefiction but you know) is freaking romance stories. Where are the stories of conquest? Of courage? Of justice? Of murder mysteries? We need more of those.
It depends on where you look really. I haven't found that many romances on PC for as long as I've been here, and most of them are pretty good. But you have to take into account that a lot of romances are written by angsty teens who want nothing better than lemon-scented action or something worse. It's hormonal, I think.

Azurne

The Local Trickster
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2011
Actually, connoisseur of horror and all things gore that I am, I can't seem to stomach Pokemon creepypasta fics by virtue of them being written by people who look at good creepypasta and basically think that "yeah, I could do this." I mean, there's nothing wrong with spontaneous writing if it helps with your creative juices, but when you copypaste plots with no added content, expecting praise for your bone-chillingly scary piece of pokecreepypasta despite only switching around names and the twist but keeping the general premise similar, then I'm sorry, you're just not going to get it from me. You cannot believe how many times I've found a pokecreepypasta thread plots like:

• MY OLD R/G/B/Gl/S/C GAME IS HAUNTED
  • CREEPY CANON-FILLING THEORY
  • RETELLING OF AN IN-GAME EVENT
  • CREEPY STORY OF SOME SORT INVOLVING AN OC
Okay, I admit. Those last two are sometimes written well, but very rarely might I add. The first two are overused. Definitely overused. Beyond the Lavender Town theory and Ash's Coma, there's nothing much worth reading because they're mostly unplanned.

Oh, did I mention the first lines?

• Did you know that...
  • It all started when I...
  • I hadn't played Pokemon in years...
  • I remember...
  • etc.
Anyway...
That's why I said it was my favorite if done correctly. Because you're right, a good number are just copies of each other with no real plot and have zero impact - but that doesn't mean I'm going to write off the whole sub-category as being terrible. Horror is one of the easiest genres to screw up in my opinion, because it either works or it doesn't. When you look at pokémon creepypasta, it is highly likely it was written by an amateur teenager with no real practice with writing. Combine that with horror being very difficult to write and you've got a pretty bad combination. So honestly, it's quite natural that there aren't as many good creepypastas as we'd hope. You really just have to keep tabs on it and pray that one day someone crawls out of the woodwork with something new.

*shrug* Bandwagon hoppers aren't new to fandom, especially when the fandom is comprised of young adults. And since some young adults spend their time wanting to fit in with the cool crowd, they'll do anything to get their 15 minutes of fame. Pokémoncreepypasta just happens to be one of those new things all the cool kids are into, apparently. Honestly though, I would love to see some sort of guide on horror stickied to the top of each pokémoncreepypasta website...

Now, on the other hand, if you really can't stomach reading any of them because you're picturing a kid behind the screen going 'hey I can write one of these too!' then... I really don't know what to tell you. XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
That's why I said it was my favorite if done correctly. Because you're right, a good number are just copies of each other with no real plot and have zero impact - but that doesn't mean I'm going to write off the whole sub-category as being terrible.
Oh no, I've just given up on finding good Pokemon Creepypasta in general, really. There are definitely good Pokepastas out there somewhere, but I just don't make an effort anymore. If it's good, it'll somehow find its way to my ears. Like Cupcakes. Cupcakes is an MLP:FiM fandom attempt at creepypasta gore which I'm particularly fond of and which contains an inordinate amount of gore despite being based on a show centred around friendship and magic. :3

Now, on the other hand, if you really can't stomach reading any of them because you're picturing a kid behind the screen going 'hey I can write one of these too!' then... I really don't know what to tell you. XD
Hey, don't most of us fit that picture? xD
Didn't we all at one point read fanfiction, find wonder in it, and want to try it out for ourselves?

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Hey, don't most of us fit that picture? xD
Didn't we all at one point read fanfiction, find wonder in it, and want to try it out for ourselves?
That reminds me, what was the name of that one nerd who read a few Anglo Saxon and Nordic epics and decided to develop his own little send-up world of them and write stories about it? Oh yeah, J.R.R. Tolkien. :D

In all seriousness, I think you're on to something way more fundamental than just fanfiction. I bet if we think back we can all find some story that we read or heard which really struck us and made us want to emulate it, and that's how you start writing period. Heck, to make this even more fundamental, you learn language first by imitating, and only after learning enough do you start conveying something that's truly yours.

So, when you see the odd 100% unoriginal and amateurish trainer-wakes-up-late story, think of it as the unappealing precursor to what could someday be decent work. The best thing to do is to write a review that thoroughly explains the work's problems, but ends with an encouragement to keep writing. A newb is a valued member of the community just waiting to happen.

That said, you know what really bugs me? Purple prose: ridiculously flowery language. It gets on my nerves when a dramatic moment that would otherwise have a lot of punch to it has its suspense diluted by the author using too many fancy words to render something that's really simple, or when a normal passage is padded out to the nth degree by the same means. Especially off-putting to me is when the author repeatedly reminds me which precious metal or stone a character's eye color is closest to.

wingman11

Solo Runner
Years
Perhaps I'm jumping in unannounced, but I couldn't help but notice that not many people at the start of this thread are fans of reborn fics, mainly because they were (and perhaps still are, i don't know) wildly popular and generally poorly written. I mostly agree with this. Mostly. One thing I'd like to say is that many of the reborn fics that spawned from the original, which is indeed A Little Night Music over on ff.net, disgust me because they were spur of the moment, "Oh, this is cool, I can do it too!" fics that usually had very similar plots or characters. However, A Little Night Music actually wasn't bad; in fact, I enjoyed it, partially because it was the original and partially for the following reasons.

While riddled with grammatical errors that made me want to vomit at times, the story was solid after the initial few chapters. Not the grammar; that did not improve, unfortunately. The story, feelings, and meanings conveyed developed and improved in quality as the story progressed. By the end, the story had me thinking on an even deeper level than most stories do.

I think its strongest selling point was the character development; while each character did have a depressing, violent, or downright dark past, they were all still varied in personalities, each having a different way of either hiding their past or dealing with their past. I have to admit, though, the excess of horrible pasts became rather vanilla after a while, but it wasn't too bad. And even with a myriad of characters, almost each and every one had some kind of development throughout the story, whether it was the main character realizing the follies of her suicide or the midget Skarmory learning to trust others.

Anyways, maybe that whole portion of text means nothing to you, but this is the point I'm trying to get at. We all have things that just turn us off, but what's not to say that there aren't exceptions? A Little Night Music is (kind of) my exception to disliking reborn fics. I'd like to think that they have great potential if they evolve on their own, away from the ALNM plot and character pool. (This thought actually lead me to begin work on my own reborn fic, and I'd like to think it's coming along well.)

Anyways, what really annoys me in a fic are as follows:

1) Overly generic and uncreative stories: journey fics, reborn stories, etc. There are some exceptions to this, though. I'll read a journey fic or reborn fic as long as they have unique perspectives, characters, plots, or some combination of them all. I.E. a journey fic that is told from a unique perspective and does not follow the games is usually OK, as long as it doesn't fall under my next category.
2) Rampant grammatical errors. I'm not talking a few here and there, I'm talking about all over the place. Sometimes the story and meaning will draw my attention away from this as it did in A Little Night Music, but it usually won't.
3) I agree with Mizan de la Plume Kuro (that's a lot to type, man) and Dagzar. I hate 'chosen one' fics. I wrote one once, and I started loathing it halfway through. Never finished it.
4) Shipping/romantic/anything with over the top love. I enjoy a little happy romance every now and then, but a whole story dedicated to one pairing? Too far, my friend.
5) Using characters from the games/movies/anime/manga in a fic isn't my cup of tea. There are a select few that do well, but most of them just end up annoying me. I never liked many of the anime/manga characters. I also tried writing one of these and after I finished it, I never looked back.

That's mostly what turns me away from a story, but I'd like to think that each one has a couple of exceptions. I'm hoping to create one for the reborn genre with my fic, and I hope I can succeed.

Oh, one more thing: Azurne pointed this out first, but the title of a story is what determines whether I choose one fic over another. An interesting, catchy, and unique title are very important in generating interest. I too avoid most stories with the words 'journey', 'adventures of', etc. Stories with names like a good one I found recently, 'The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying The World', catch my attention. That's actually how I stumbled upon A Little Night Music; interesting title, so I gave it a shot.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Hah, isn't it curious that many of us, Pokemon fans as we are, dislike reading fics about canon characters? That's pretty funny from my standpoint.

That said, I do agree to a certain extent. I don't believe any of my fics have ever had a canon character in anything vaguely approaching a leading role - with the notable exception of the as-yet-unpublished convalescence+convergence. That one's all about canon characters, with only two or three OCs lying around. But yes, I for one am sick of reading about Ash. The anime did all right by him, and any fic with him in it seems kind of superfluous. Pssh, maybe it's just me. But on the whole, you show me a fic with a main canon character - especially from the anime - and I'll show you the 'Next Thread' button. Gah.

Onyx_X

The Onyx Knight
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 27, 2012
I really hate to find "I love you more than anything in the world." Written more than once or twice in any story.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
While I prefer reading a journey fics to review, I find that the only fics I read for pleasure are the ones from the anime with Ash as a main character. I did read all sorts of fanfics back in the day, but it was the ones that focused on the anime that made me come back for more. I have fond memories of such fics, which were mostly from Pokemon Tower (which I haven't gone on in years).

Actually, to tell the truth, I don't read Pokemon fanfiction for pleasure at all anymore. I'm not sure if it's because I'm burned out or that I'm writing a Pokemon fic so that gives me my fix, but I can't name one that I honestly followed. Well, except the Sun Soul on FF dot net, but I eventually ditched that because of the boring characters (though the world was definitely well thought out. Very realistic).

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
That's how I am towards canon characters, at least Pokemon ones. The ones that I want to read about, no one ever writes about them. While the ones that everyone writes about, I can't stand. There's only so many times I can read about Red or Ash.

Actually, to tell the truth, I don't read Pokemon fanfiction for pleasure at all anymore.
Same here. I think, with me, is that I've been in the fanfiction corner of this fandom for so long that it feels like I've read every kind of fic out there that there's nothing new to excite me. Sometimes, there'll be an author that I enjoy, and I follow their work, but I no longer actively search out fics to read just for fun.

That reminds me, what was the name of that one nerd who read a few Anglo Saxon and Nordic epics and decided to develop his own little send-up world of them and write stories about it? Oh yeah, J.R.R. Tolkien. :D
And then all those fantasy writers who wanted to never leave the world of Tolkien's, so they created their own fantasy world.

Bay

Years
That's how I am towards canon characters, at least Pokemon ones. The ones that I want to read about, no one ever writes about them. While the ones that everyone writes about, I can't stand. There's only so many times I can read about Red or Ash.
Guess you don't want to read Quiet Admiration, then. O: *gets shot*

Seriously though, I too seemed to not to enjoy reading Pokemon fics as I did before. Been in this fandom for many years and yeah, now these days not too many new and interesting stories out there. As for canon characters, I don't mind reading about them because I have read stories that had put a different spin on those characters. There might be some canon characters I'm more interested in reading than others, though.

LOL, I don't think I hate anything I have seen in Pokemon fanfiction saved for repeated chosen one fics, angst/dark fics that aren't done well, and fics that are shippy/romance driven (funny enough, I'm writing a shippy fic for a different fandom >.<; ). However, as I mentioned before I'm just a bit tired of many stories more or else copying someone else's idea and not at least have a different take on that idea.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Hah, isn't it curious that many of us, Pokemon fans as we are, dislike reading fics about canon characters? That's pretty funny from my standpoint.
I usually don't because I find that a lot of stories which revolve around canon characters tend to stray into the realm of the OOC. :<
You sometimes can't help it if the characters don't have much canon info on them, leading much to fanon speculation. Try as I might though, sometimes fanon doesn't capture the very essence of said characters enough for me to consider them indistinguishable from their canon counterparts, so they just start to seem OOC to me. Also, not to mention newbie writers tend to use canon characters very frequently because they like to explore what-if scenarios. Incidentally, what-if scenarios often apply to newbie shipping stories too, so yeah...
There might be some canon characters I'm more interested in reading than others, though.
Though, you know, sometimes being OOC enough can lead to becoming interesting. xD

Don't forget Tolkien and Lewis' SF counterparts: Asimov, Heinlein, and Clarke. IIRC, Asimov and Clarke both read Sci-fi pulps as kids.

Sometimes, there'll be an author that I enjoy, and I follow their work, but I no longer actively search out fics to read just for fun.
Why am I not alone here?

Misheard Whisper

Years
Actually - deviating slightly from the topic here - could we not put forward the notion that this apparent drought of quality fanfiction is the reason for the lack of activity here?

God, that sounds stupid when I say it like that. Duh, less fics equals less action, duh of course. But in all seriousness, every now and again someone comes along on a mission and yells '*****!' and suggests we do something to push the activity levels back to what they were in FF's heyday. I kinda think we of the old guard need to do something about that before we even think about making incentive programs or starting contests or whatever highfalutin ideas people are toting around. We kind of just need to sit down and a) grind out some fanfiction, taking pride in what we do and the forum we love and b) get some interesting discussions like this one flowing - again, because this is what we like to do and, goddammit, this is where we like to do it!

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Actually - deviating slightly from the topic here - could we not put forward the notion that this apparent drought of quality fanfiction is the reason for the lack of activity here?
Tbh, none of us are actually saying that outright, but I can get where you're coming from. The lack of quality fanfiction here has never been an issue. It's the lack of quality reviewers and consistent writers. I mean like, there's maybe four or five good fics out there right now on the front page, and only a few of us even bother to do any reviews on a daily, hell, even weekly basis.

God, that sounds stupid when I say it like that. Duh, less fics equals less action, duh of course. But in all seriousness, every now and again someone comes along on a mission and yells '*****!' and suggests we do something to push the activity levels back to what they were in FF's heyday. I kinda think we of the old guard need to do something about that before we even think about making incentive programs or starting contests or whatever highfalutin ideas people are toting around. We kind of just need to sit down and a) grind out some fanfiction, taking pride in what we do and the forum we love and b) get some interesting discussions like this one flowing - again, because this is what we like to do and, goddammit, this is where we like to do it!
Basically this. ^
Also 'old guard' makes me think of Dumbledore's Army for some reason.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Tbh, none of us are actually saying that outright, but I can get where you're coming from
I was referring to Onyx whatshisface's comment. Kinda reminded me of this post I saw on another forum - 'I only read [certain fic] because I fear I've been spoiled on good writing and if I read anything else I'll hate it'. While, thank God, nobody's like that here as far as I can tell, it's true that people - myself included - simply don't read enough. But if we set an example by writing consistently, that will set wheels in motion. Not only will it encourage review sharing and exchange between new and old members alike, it also gives the new kids something to look to as a standard, which is what I would like to see.

Bay

Years
Though, you know, sometimes being OOC enough can lead to becoming interesting. xD
True, and that's when I review saying that. :P But seriously though, since I tend to stray away from Pokemon shipping fics, I don't have that much of a problem. XD; Not saying all shipping fics (or any fics with the canon characters as the main ones) have characters OOC, but yeah. Maybe I'm just lucky to find some fics where the canon characters are portrayed well. I'm probably the only one here that looks forward to seeing canon characters done well in Pokemon fics, though that's mostly because I have been practicing writing canon characters for a couple different fandoms and I enjoy doing the stories a lot.

As for Misheard Whisper's comment over us trying to help out get this community gain some activity again, I agree pretty much everything. The only thing is bleh I can't seem think up any Pokemon plot bunnies. >.>; I have a couple story ideas I might want to try, but I need to sit down and plan a bit on them. Also there's real life stuff going on for me so I don't have too much time reviewing, but I'll try my best to keep up with a few fics here.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
If we want to up activity, reviewing, I think, is the most important thing. It doesn't matter if we write good stories if no one will bother to look at them. I guess we can do both at once, but it'll only work if this is a group effort. If activity starts to lower again, someone should start a new thread or at least do something to keep activity high.

On another note, I've started a new thread about what we love seeing in fanfiction.

EDIT: My posts are being difficult and won't go into the default color most of the time, so I apologize for possible hard-to-read text. ;_;

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
I would recommend Daydream's For All the Right Reasons. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since January, but that just goes to show that you can't really get an impression of a forum's writing just by looking over the first few pages of threads.http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238253 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238253

What a coincidence that I should happen to update, the day I look at this thread!

I think a lot of the things I find a turn off in fiction have been stated already in this thread. Specifically unrealistic canon pairings, it annoys me how horrifically out of character they're forced to be. Or if an author creates a character that is basically the opposite-sex counterpart of whoever they're trying to pair them with. I don't want to read Paul and Paula's angsty angsty romance.

One other personal dislike is original characters without much development of their background, specifically in pokemon fanfiction. Your generic trainer has left their hometown with starter in tow. Great. But what are their motivations? Something at least need to be said as to why they want to be a trainer. Even if you're trying to be 'mysterious' or give the impression your character is escaping from a hurtful past they'd rather forget about, I think there should at least be some allusion to this, that is then developed as we go on.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Perhaps I'm jumping in unannounced, but I couldn't help but notice that not many people at the start of this thread are fans of reborn fics, mainly because they were (and perhaps still are, i don't know) wildly popular and generally poorly written.

Um.

*raises hand* I'd like to point out the fact that there were two people referencing rebirth fics at the beginning of the thread, and one of them hates all rebirth fic not because of all the rip-offs of ALNM but instead because the overabundance of angst (A ridiculously angsty past for every character? Really?) coupled with the fact that they practically glamorize suicide, depression, and abuse makes her want to bludgeon people with burlap sacks full of kittens.

I also found most of the cast in ALNM the kinds of characters I'd like to punch in the collective face for exactly this reason.

But, you know. To each their own. I'm just saying that for me, ALNM is most certainly not an exception but more of a reason.

Also, yes to activity, but because I'm immensely lazy as of late and because the last time I decided "OH HEY I'M GOING TO CONTRIBUTE A LOT OF IDEAS" turned out to be a bad idea, I'mma gonna sit back, nod, and agree with Dagzar. Problem with PC is that a lot of the time, it feels like a one-way street of authors just posting their fic and rarely getting feedback, so I know that some authors just don't feel like posting their work due to the lack of a guarantee that it'll be read and accepted. o hai mw so i herd u mentioned something about this on sppf to someone But the last time I said we should get our rears in gear and do something, that wound up being a great idea ("great" here meaning "a lot like plans that would land you in a jail in Mexico vomiting up mostly tequila"), so I'm shoving any action part onto someone else like Misheard while I play the crotchety old jerkass saying everything sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back