• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Speculation

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Actually Mar is Spanish for Sea, Playa is beach.
Marr is a good name though ^_^ (and reminds me of swampert now xD)
Gertrude would be funny, it sound so grown up for her xD Though considering her father wants to be an actor and Gertrude is a name from a certain play (Hamlet) it might happen ;)

Hilda... oh wait.

But great idea! She could be Gertrude, Marianna, Elizabeth. But she'd probably funk up the names like Trudi, Mari and Lexi. I'm pretty sure she'd do something like that and her dad will call her by her full name ^^

Marr! For Shizui. I can see this one being his name. Mar in Spanish is sea while Marr is an actual name (German for swamp).

nononononono YOU ARE NOT DOING GERTRUDE GAMEFREAK/NINTENDO/POKEMON OVERLORDS.

Gertrude is one of the worst names ever imo and she would suddenly lose her appeal so much she needs something a little less insane. :( I do like Lexi for her though!

(No offense if someone is named Gertrude I just really dislike that name I'm sorry XD;)

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
Ivy or Lily could be viable names for Homika, being that both relate to poisonous plants. poison ivy and then certain types of lilies are poisonous, so both could be used, even though they seem to Grass gym leaderish.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Ivy seems like it would suit Homika very well, I have to agree. I'm still curious as to what they're going to call Akuroma. I kind of want it to be Bill, just so I can say "Bill Nye the Science Guy!"
Plasmus would be cool, too. Then we'd REALLY think he's a part of Team Plasma.

Years
I like Lily for Homika's English name, it suits her.

I'm also thinking of Violet cos she has purple coloring on her dress and the fact that Poison-types are often purple in color.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Violet's a good name for Homika.

What is likely is the chracters having made up compound names like the other Gym Leaders. However, going on Clay and Skyla, Wde for Shizui would be likely.

Tox

fight me
Years
I hadn't put much thought into it but I've definitely seen some awesome suggestions. My favourites are:
Male PC → Blake/Ryan
Female PC → Willow/Zoe
Rival → Kevin
Shizui → Nate
Homika → Monika/Hazel/Hayley
Akuroma → Chrome

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I can't see Homika as Lily. She's very intense-seeming, and Lily is a very calm name. I could see her as Veronica, with the Ve from venom. :x

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Ivy seems like it would suit Homika very well, I have to agree. I'm still curious as to what they're going to call Akuroma. I kind of want it to be Bill, just so I can say "Bill Nye the Science Guy!"
Plasmus would be cool, too. Then we'd REALLY think he's a part of Team Plasma.

Lol, but there's already a Pokemon scientist named Bill. Remember, he designed the Boxes?

I think it would be cool if Homika was Roxanne. That sounds a bit like toxic, and she could be Roxy or Roxie. Sounds a little like "rose" though. Oh well, roses have thorns. (Plus it sounds like "rock" as in rock star lol) There isn't one already named anything similar, right? Not in Hoenn or anything? Because I'm clueless about Hoenn.

It would be hilarious if she was named Gertrude. It's such an ugly name, lol. Brings to mind an ugly old lady. (No offense anyone who is beautiful and named Gertrude.) I could see her as Trudi though.

Please just leave Akuroma as Akuroma, it's such an awesome name. Chrome brings to mind a car. Or a robot or something.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Lol, but there's already a Pokemon scientist named Bill. Remember, he designed the Boxes?

I think it would be cool if Homika was Roxanne. That sounds a bit like toxic, and she could be Roxy or Roxie. Sounds a little like "rose" though. Oh well, roses have thorns. (Plus it sounds like "rock" as in rock star lol) There isn't one already named anything similar, right? Not in Hoenn or anything? Because I'm clueless about Hoenn.

It would be hilarious if she was named Gertrude. It's such an ugly name, lol. Brings to mind an ugly old lady. (No offense anyone who is beautiful and named Gertrude.) I could see her as Trudi though.

Please just leave Akuroma as Akuroma, it's such an awesome name. Chrome brings to mind a car. Or a robot or something.

The gym leader of Rustboro in Hoenn is named Roxanne.

Years
I hadn't put much thought into it but I've definitely seen some awesome suggestions. My favourites are:
Male PC → Blake/Ryan
Female PC → Willow/Zoe
Rival → Kevin
Shizui → Nate
Homika → Monika/Hazel/Hayley
Akuroma → Chrome

I'm liking your predictions there, Intoxicated!

Blake & Willow was my first suggestion for the protagonists.

Monika was one of my suggestions for Homika cos it rhymes with her Japanese name.

Kevin was what I suggested for the rival.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Hazel sounds cool, perhaps she goes by Haze (sounds a bit tomboyish). It matches with her punk look considering the haze machines used.
Also Forever you might end up jynxing things...remember how trollish GF can be ;)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Hazel sounds cool, perhaps she goes by Haze (sounds a bit tomboyish). It matches with her punk look considering the haze machines used.
Also Forever you might end up jynxing things...remember how trollish GF can be ;)

Of course she's gonna jinx it.

I like Haze. Sounds...poisony. B]
But I see it more as Hazel. Hazel is better. B]

I still like Nate or Wade for Shizui. <333

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
Years
Gonna throw some different names out there...

Homika: Donna or Daphne (poisonous plants).

Shizui: Eddy (whirlpool).

I need to wait for the Japanese names for the heroes and rival to speculate about them.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
It turns out the name Jade has something to do with rebellion, so that's my new prediction.

Homika-> Jade or my previous prediction Ivy.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Of course she's gonna jinx it.

I like Haze. Sounds...poisony. B]
But I see it more as Hazel. Hazel is better. B]

I still like Nate or Wade for Shizui. <333

Nope not gunna Jynx it! :( /will be so sad if I do :x ALSO PFFT, I am not Forever anymore lool.

But yeah I like Hazel/Haze. Hazel actually would really suit how her face is designed and all. I dunno but you know by the small dots on her face etc yeah idk how I'm making this connection but Hazel fits with that lol.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Nope not gunna Jynx it! :( /will be so sad if I do :x ALSO PFFT, I am not Forever anymore lool.

But yeah I like Hazel/Haze. Hazel actually would really suit how her face is designed and all. I dunno but you know by the small dots on her face etc yeah idk how I'm making this connection but Hazel fits with that lol.

You will always be known as Forever, forever...and a day. ;D

Didn't notice her freckles, actually! I like Hazel even more know that I've seen that. Fisher would be cool for Shizui, though. I like that. <3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
You win this round.

But fisher makes him sound like all he does is fish when he looks more like a diver lol.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Virbank is the name of the City where Homika resides.
Yeah I really don't like that name. Kinda matches her being poison-based, though. Don't know why but it makes me think of poison so ya.

I have to agree with For-Requility on this one, Fisher isn't a good name...
Maybe his name can be Mist to match with Hazel.
Not that bad, but it's okay. Mist would be fine.

Back