• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer/OS Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Shigeru-san said:
What is faster though? Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or AMD's latest processor?

And btw the G5 chip IS a combination of the P4 chip (one of them as far as I know).

Intel's latest processor as of last check. I am looking into AMD's and Intel's newly released processors now.

Btw, no it isn't because the latest G5 is one of the slowest (both performance per clock and wise GHz wise) processors on the market today.

Edit: I just finshed reading the review. The Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition (aka. Xeon MP in P4 camaflague) exceeds the Athlon 64 FX-51 at streaming data processing (e.g. video games), multimedia files encoding (e.g. video editing), and mutithreading (e.g. Photoshop). The AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 exceeds the Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition at scientific (99.9% of all computer users don't use this) and bussiness (do you really need hundreds of fps in MS Word? it doesn't make your more productive).

As You can see, I am slightly biased since Intel because their processors are optimized for the growing needs of the vast majority of the people who use them. Not to mention they are highly scalable (Highest Northwood P4 core will go at is 4.2GHz while the highest the Althon Barton core will go at is 2.4GHz last check).

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Hmmmmm. I want to get my hands on P4 Techology..

This is my dream computer:

Dell Laptop
15 inch screen
30 GB Harddrive
1.8? gHZ P4 Processor
128 MB Memory

Hmmm. Who knows, I might get a laptop of my own someday. :P

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
My dream PC is:

10.20 GHz Processor (with HT) based on Nehalem core
64GB of RAM running at 12.8GHz based on NRAM
10 Terabyte Solid State Drive based on NRAM
ATI AIW Graphics card based on the R420 core
Running Windows Blackcomb workstation

If anyone is wondering, none of this stuff is out yet or close to being ready for production. The 10.20GHz processor is set for 2005 as of early 2003. The ATI AIW R420 based Graphics card is probably set for sometime next year. Windows Blackcomb is set for 2008. And only God knows when they will discover a way to address NRAM so it would be usable.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
That thing is so powerful you'd probably die if you touched it... *_*;

Is Blackcomb the name for the next Windows, or is that something different? I thought the next Windows was 2005?

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Longhorn is the next generation desktop version of Windows. Blackcomb is the desktop/server version that follows it.

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Have they decided an abbreviation for it? Few people are going to want to type or say that out each time they refer to it.

It's going to handle 64-bit processors right?

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
The software must be compiled for use with different processors. There is a 64bit version of XP and its server counterpart, Windows 2003 Server.

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Yes, of course. There's 64-bit versions of most of the operating systems, just few programs that are configured for it.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
That isn't necessarily true. Windows XP 64Bit edition emulates 32Bit for the Itanium while it just changes 32bit calls to 64bit calls on the Althon.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
The benchmarks are good enough for me. I don't need to use an obsolute computer to discover what review sites have prediscovered for me. Not to mention Apple's PCs are known for being slow.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Well, I thought Macs are sposed to be better than PCs.

PCs is the real McCroy. :P Nothing can beat it. Not even VMS(Virtual Machines) (which is the half of the proformance of the real thing.)

If you are picking out a VM software for windows, Stay away from Virtual PC... It's evil! (because it's made by microsoft)

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Well, I used to have Virtual PC but it uses too much memory and it wasn't funny at all. The windows verson doesn't support USB devices and it's just runs too slow.

vmWare is the real mccoy! It only costs 299 for the download verson of it. :P

BTW: I was talking about the windows verson of virtualPC.

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I'm getting a new computer soon. They had a free upgrade from 512MB of RAM to 2GB so...

It has a P4 3.0 GHz with HT,120 Gigabyte hard drive, DVD burner and all sorts of very nice features. I'll get the specs for it in a bit. ^_^;

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
Years
Whoa a P4 with HT technology, I hear about that alot but never hear about anyone who has it.

My sister has a normal P4 Dell Dimension 8100, with a 52x CD burner, 16x DVD-burner, 80 GB hard drive, but I abused and lost my privledges to use it, (too many downloads she found out about). I wish my computer had that kind of power....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back