• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Are they releasing Pokémon games too fast?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
No. I hated DPPt because it was so so slow. It has been 3 years since the new generation started, so I think it is an ok time frame.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't think they're too fast, because they release new games (excluding spin-offs) once every year or so. If they had released new Pokémon games every five to seven months, then in my opinion, that would've been fast. xD I'm kind of afraid of the rate they're introducing new Pokémon, though. They have over 600 Pokémon already, so it would've been better if they slowed it down a little bit and introduced only 10 to 50 Pokémon each new gen (instead of somewhere around 100).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
But then people would complain about the lack of new pokémon xD.
Yeah, in terms of a release cycle they're doing just fine on 1 per year. The two years between Diamond and Platinum were kinda boring. On the other hand, two years for a generation? A bit short...
If they weren't producing 100 new pokémon in every generation I'd say "no, the rate at which they're releasing them is just fine". But I do think they're bringing out new pokémon perhaps a little too fast.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I think they should take at least a break until 2015 to release the follow up to X and Y. I'd imagine they would be rather creatively bankrupt then and would have to start thinking of new concepts for the follow up.

iirc, the reason why HG/SS were followed up so quickly were due to B/W being developed by a different team and they were very near completion there.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I don't think they're releasing too fast either, but I have a feeling there will be a big gap between these games and the next since it has introduced all these new major features such as the bank.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
Nahh it's the right time the only reason I feel BW was fast because I feel TPC was already planning XY before BW but they needed to buy some time to develope the game in 3d and that's why BW wasn't released for the 3ds

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
5th gen was great, I would've liked to see it stay around for another year or so. It's not like X and Y seem rushed, I just want to wait until 5th gen feels like it should be over. I like to see around 3 years between each gen, and 5th only got 2 1/2.

PhoenixSoul

I gain strength from my ashes
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I think the pace they are doing it now is really ok. It's neither too rushed nor too prolonged. Once per year gives people time to explore all the parts of the current game and more important time to save up money for the next game/console.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
The pace right now is stable and quite impressive given the current development teams and resources. Also, they aren't pushing the barriers with the new back to back games thing, they're actually creating new barriers, so the outlook gets changed. Like everyone is going to be totally hyped until next month, and still hyped until the English version is out. Like many pointed out the lag between DPPt games, the only reason they may have to do this is having something for us to be hyped over XD

No really, I don't think at this rate they're going too fast. Until now no major Pokémon game has been a flop, and the speculation about and around X&Y is probably proof it's not going to be. What we need is change and new features, along with a genuinely new feel. They're doing that quite well, yes?

Since the main games aren't the only games being worked on considering Spinoffs, I'm pretty sure the Pokémon Franchise is used to handling games at this pace without making it feel rushed. It all depends on the reception, to know how rushed it was in reality.

I also seemed to personally feel that they're starting to run a bit faster now, but the only reason B2W2 was released so fast is because of the good linkage to the original versions, so we don't have to worry.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
Nope. Although them releasing BW2 seems quite hurried since the game is still part of the 5th Gen. But the release of the 6th Gen games doesn't feel rushed.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
Years
Main series games (R/B/Y, G/S/C, R/S/E, D/P/Pt B/W/2) are being released at a perfectly fine pace. However, when you include HGSS, FRLG and various spinoffs, it only seems like they're being released too fast. There is generally a three year gap between games, so I think we're good.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I gotta say that I kinda agree that pace is pretty quick... especially B2W2 to X&Y... they could give it more time and let us enjoy B2W2 more =D
Releasing X&Y in 2k14 would be perfectly reasonable... :)

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
5th gen did seem like it went by awfully fast, but really I don't think there was much left to work on with it, and the fact that the 3DS had been released I'm sure Nintendo and GF both wanted the next game to be on it. So either prolong generation five or start fresh with an entirely new generation on a new system.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I have to agree with this, I admittedly haven't even got passed the 3rd gym in B&W2, I am just too slow I guess.

That aside, I think the 5th gen really gone by really really fast. It wasn't like the past where we have to wait for quite awhile, I mean, I barely could recognise the Gen 5 Pokemon.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I feel like Black and White were only experimenting with Pokemon Ideas because from the reception that it got alot of people butchered it but X and Y are looking pretty good so as long as GF understands where the fans don't like certain stuff than its okay, if its like EA and they think its okay to pump out DLC after DLC then they can go get...

OmegaTL

Time Lord
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
No, but I think X & Y were announced too quickly. I mean, Black 2 & White 2 had been out internationally for just three months when they were announced!

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
Years
Red & Blue (1998) -> Gold & Silver (2000) -> Ruby & Sapphire (2003) -> Diamond & Pearl (2006) -> Black & White (2010) -> X & Y (2013)

If we only look at when they're introducing a new generation of PKMN then no. But when counting the remakes and the 2nd versions releases of the generations then yes. In the spam of 3 years, Gen 3 got 5 main games. That's overkill if you ask me.

Also Gen 5 introduced WAY too many Pokemon. Any generation after generation 1 shouldn't introduce more than 151 Pokemon really. Generation 2's and 4's PKMN count were perfect if you ask me. While Generation's 3 and 5 (especially 5) introduced 130+ each. If Gen 3 and 5 only introduced around 100 PKMN each, we would only have a total of 558 PKMN instead of 649. 649 should be the total number of PKMN we should in total have AFTER Generation 6 NOT 700+.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
No, but I think X & Y were announced too quickly. I mean, Black 2 & White 2 had been out internationally for just three months when they were announced!

B/W 2 were enticer versions, since they didn't have plans for a third one like usual. They were meant to give fans something a bit new to play through so as to catch any late-comers to B/W and keep B/W popular long enough for X/Y to be released. Many are hoping there is a Z planned, it's possible, we won't know until someone completes the game because every trio game has three main legendary pokemon in the story. B/W only had two, and not even a rumor about a third, that's why so many of us knew there would not be a Grey.

I'm kind of hoping for a Z a year from now, not to play, but to invigorate the fans and keep X/Y interesting even longer. The trio games tend to boost fan activity a lot.

Back