• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was Black and White 2 more challenging than Black And White

Years
Yes i would like to here peoples thoughts between both games i personally prefer black and white 2 but the female protagonist Hilda (read the manga) but what are your thoughts on the games also would you say that black and white 2 should have been black and white i found the game more challenging especially when on the team plasma freight where you have to use the warp panels to open the gate so yes please post thoughts

Agous

Solid Mercury?
Years
I personally believe that the most challenging game was B/W. The levels proved to jump a bit more, and Ghetsis at the end was almost impossible. BW2 was very simple due to the diversity of Pokemon. All warp panels take time. I get used to that.

Years
As much as I love BW2, I have to say no. BW were definitely harder, at least on Normal Mode. BW had Lenora, Elesa with a much better team, and the Elite Four were much harder for a few reasons, notably the fact that the level gap between them and the last Gym Leader is the same in both games (7 between them), but there's far more between them in BW2 than in BW. And the highest level Audino in BW is 12 levels below the Elite Four's lowest, while in BW2 it's 5 (9 on Challenge Mode). And Colress and Ghetsis are the same levels, the list goes on and on. On Challenge Mode it's debatable though, if only for the fact that Gym Leaders get extra Pokémon and more powerful attacks to use, and Elesa gets her Aerial Ace Emolga back. And the Elite Four have five Pokémon, some of which have unusual held items.

Personally, as for the people that claim BW are the easiest games, I don't know how they handled Hydreigon, but I have a feeling most of them used their cover legendary against N's.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
To me, the difficulty of these games were quite the same. In Pokémon Black and White, there were a lot of trainers who were hard to beat. In Black 2 and White 2, there were a few tough trainers as well. The hardest trainer from B/W was, in my opinion, Brycen. He was able to have four to five of my Pokémon defeated single-handedly with his Beartic. To have this Pokémon finally taken down, I had to train all of my team members and raise them about two - three levels higher, which took a lot of time. d: From B/W2, the toughest opponent I ever went head-to-head against was Gym Leader Marlon. All of his Pokémon were well-trained, and had the ability to work with each other very nicely. His Carracosta had provided me the most challenge, though. With the combination of Shell Smash and Scald, none of my Pokémon were able to stand a chance against it.

Years
The hardest trainer from B/W was, in my opinion, Brycen. He was able to have four to five of my Pokémon defeated single-handedly with his Beartic. To have this Pokémon finally taken down, I had to train all of my team members and raise them about two - three levels higher, which took a lot of time. d:

I'm sorry, but Brycen? He's widely regarded as the easiest Gym Leader in the game. :P How did you not find N and Ghetsis ten times harder? Or Lenora or Elesa for that matter? I remember you saying somewhere else that Elesa really threw you for one.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Personally, as for the people that claim BW are the easiest games, I don't know how they handled Hydreigon,

Megahorn to the pelvis. Scolipede is faster than Hydreigon. Ha.

but I have a feeling most of them used their cover legendary against N's.

I haven't, because the cover legendary handicapped me against Ghetsis. You don't want yet another of your Pokémon weak against Hydreigon.

Seriously, though, Pokémon is all about planning. I usually know what the bosses' types are beforehand, and build a team that will counter most of them. The hardest trainer in BW for me was Marshal, because he could break through my weaknesses easier than the others.

Years
I don't really see much of a difficulty gap between the two games but I do agree with Nova and Ashley that B/W had more of a massive level jump at some point, whereas B2/W2 was more balanced with the level gaps. I still didn't have a lot of problems playing both games, I usually had good team planning with moves to nail my weaknesses, due to my increased experience playing older games and becoming familiar with everything. Some of the Gyms are hard, while others can actually be very easy. I didn't have a lot of problems with most of the Gyms anyway, but I guess it was due to my careful planning.

In fact, I did find N and Ghetsis in B/W a bit hard because I didn't have much that could handle their strong Pokemon, like N's mascot dragon and Ghetsis' Hydreigon. The former's two fossils and the latter's Bouffalant also gave me a bit of problems due to their sheer strength, but yeah I still managed to take out most of their teams quickly.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I sometimes found that the wild pokemon early on gave me a hard time in Black and White :( not sure why. Also, the fact that all of the pokemon were new gave me a slightly harder time as well. Overall, BW was definitely harder than BW2 imo. BW2's pokes I knew, also the level gaps between gym leaders etc were much smoother.

Years
Yeah, the wild Pokémon in BW were annoying early on as well. And there are three trainers with a Level 7 Pokémon. In a fun Nuzlocke of Black that I did, I nearly lost two Pokémon on Route 2, both due to wild Pokémon not letting me run away. That was scary. D: (Interestingly though, I only had one death until the Elite Four, and then I lost half my team against them.)

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I personally found both sets of games to be equally easy. Black 2 and white 2 was just a ton more fun with the more diverse Pokemon list.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
BW2 had updated gym leader paths which...for me, i thought it was a little difficult. It took me a few days to get through Clay, while I thought the most difficult leader was Elesa. BW is probably the most difficult, while BW2 had much more diversity and the leaders weren't as difficult. I was able to beat them with my underleveled pokemon.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Perhaps more difficult, but I didn't see the different because of the style of the league. I got enough training and buildup to beat the gyms and E4 I suppose.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
White 2 definitely kicked my ass harder than White ever did, even with an Action Replay. Without the AR, I was super underleveled everywhere I went and training was hard as hell what with the lower Audino encounter rate and stuff. Not only that but I felt that even the regular AI (meaning, not challenge mode) was still better than the AI in Black/White. Plus the level JUMP from Clay to Skyla was pretty insane imo, nothing too drastic like ten levels or anything like that, but still high enough.

So, yeah, I definitely found White 2 to be MUCH harder than White. ;A;

damientheomen3

Muffintop, Esq.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
I've only ever played Black 2 on Challenge Mode (Action Replay ftw), so in that regard Black 2 was definitely harder. I remember Elesa took me about 9 tries to beat (but my team wasn't very well equipped for hers), possibly the most challenging gym leader I've ever faced. I couldn't imagine Nuzlockeing on Black 2 challenge mode (well, I'd probably not be able to resist the urge of overleveling, but still).

I've since been playing Black 2 randomized with the Pokemon Randomizer software. It's a fun game to do that with for sure.

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
Just finished Black 2 hours ago and i can obviously say yes it it harder than black

And another thing i actually liked black 2 more than black and this thing i didn't expect at all

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Nah... BW2 are longer and more involved, but I don't think they're more challenging. If anything, BW are more challenging, with a smaller dex, generally tougher trainers and Ghetsis.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
White 2 definitely kicked my ass harder than White ever did, even with an Action Replay. Without the AR, I was super underleveled everywhere I went and training was hard as hell what with the lower Audino encounter rate and stuff. Not only that but I felt that even the regular AI (meaning, not challenge mode) was still better than the AI in Black/White. Plus the level JUMP from Clay to Skyla was pretty insane imo, nothing too drastic like ten levels or anything like that, but still high enough.

So, yeah, I definitely found White 2 to be MUCH harder than White. ;A;

Pretty much self-explanatory for me as well. I had to use an AR just to get through Pokemon White 2/Black 2. It was so much of a challenge because there weren't as many trainers to battle and the wild pokemon in the area didn't offer enough exp the same you got in the first Black and White.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I would say that Pokemon BW2 were quite a bit harder than BW. The main reason I would say because Victory Road was very hard to get through, and Team Plasma seemed to be considerably harder. It took me like 10 hyper potions just to get through Ghetsis and his tough Hydreigon. Also, post game is hard too when you have to verse N. His pokemon are like on level 70. xD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well i Really appreciate this post. It's hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you've nailed it!

Last edited:
Back