• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Breeding in Fanfics - advice?

Arcis

Pokémon Breeder
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
I like to consider myself a budding Pokemon Breeder, and would like to write a story involving one. That's got me thinking a lot about the mechanics of writing it, though. Any advice?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Look up animal husbandry online, take a look around and see if any aspects interest you. Then take that information and try to reconcile it with the games' canon interpretation of breeding. That's really the best route, unless you want to go with the "A stork did it" theory.

Arcis

Pokémon Breeder
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
Thanks for the reply, Redstar! I've since been reading up on breeding and animal husbandry, and a thought's occured to me... there's a lot of deaths, babies born dead, animals put down... it made me wonder, should that always be involved? Is it a writer's choice? Something to save for Darkfics?

I appreciate continued help on the topic. :D

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Thanks for the reply, Redstar! I've since been reading up on breeding and animal husbandry, and a thought's occured to me... there's a lot of deaths, babies born dead, animals put down... it made me wonder, should that always be involved? Is it a writer's choice? Something to save for Darkfics?

I appreciate continued help on the topic. :D

There's this great series of books about a veterinarian, and I can't remember the name of the series itself, but two of the books are called "All Things Bright and Beautiful" and "All Things Wise and Wonderful." They deal with pretty much everything you could encounter as a vet, from performing checkups to delivering babies to euthanasia. A pokéverse story written like that could be very interesting: I recommend you check them out.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
There's this great series of books about a veterinarian, and I can't remember the name of the series itself, but two of the books are called "All Things Bright and Beautiful" and "All Things Wise and Wonderful." They deal with pretty much everything you could encounter as a vet, from performing checkups to delivering babies to euthanasia. A pokéverse story written like that could be very interesting: I recommend you check them out.
James Herriot.

He wrote a lot of books on his experiences as a veterinary surgeon, which were used to create a television series.

Good books to read, and to see how life is like for a person in that career.

Arcis

Pokémon Breeder
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
Good idea! I read his books years ago and found them facinating.... heh, back to the library for me!

Back