• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moments that made you panic as a kid

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
We've all been there. You're a young chap, playing a Pokemon game for the first time. Going along nicely, and then..."OMG AAAARGH WHATEVER IS THAT THING?! GET IT OUT OF MY GAME!!!" and most likely going ahead to shut off the game.

In my case, I remember being creeped out by the poison effect in older games. I've just fought a bug catcher and then all of a sudden my screen starts shaking. I thought it was because of the bugs, and a result I tried to avoid bug catchers because I thought they would do that to me again. It took me reading the ingame guide to learn that it was only because they poisoned my mons.

Which moments made you panic when you played Pokemon as a kid?

Fruitcakke

Gengar-Certified
Years
  • Age 24
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
The ghost in Pokemon Tower freaked me out as a kid, and I guess I didn't have the mental capacity to figure out that I needed the Silph Scope for it so I just never advanced through the game.. I was too spooked to go back into the tower, haha.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
My very first time as a dumb kid in Blue, I was so cocky about having decimated Brock with Squirtle, when I exited the city and there are all those fights... Let's say that changed the tone of the whole run. That really knocked the ladder right out from under me.

Years
Coming across the ghosts without the Silph Scope in Yellow was a bit worrying as a kid, though I don't think there was much of a panic. I think I was more panicking and stressed out trying to catch Mewtwo, not realizing that the Master Ball was a 100% catch rate, and trying to whittle its HP down without knocking it out.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Nothing really perse made me panic when I was a kid, but the Giratina jumpscare and Platinum scared the hell out of me...

...Okay but all those legendary battles where I didn't catch the Pokemon made me stressed out as a child.

Years
i was terrified of the poison status effect at one point because i thought that my pokemon would die if i let it linger for too long

not faint, but literally die

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
Mostly I only freaked out when those dou- Guys, came to steal my diance. And the poison thing. And whenever you leave boundary lines because you can walk through walls

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
I have never really had anything make me 'panic' in a Pokemon game but I was worried I was going to lose my whole team in my Black Nuzlocke against Shauntel's Chandelure.

In the end I only lost my starter Emboarwho KOed the Fire Lamp with Head Smash then dying to the recoil. :(

pkmin3033

Being poisoned in the original games for the first time. I thought I'd broken my Gameboy somehow.

Also, Misty and her Starmie. Fuck that bloody Starmie! In Red I was utterly screwed because I chose Charmander, and in Yellow I had to grind my Pikachu up to Level 26 for Thunderbolt because it kept on OHKOing me with Bubblebeam because it was faster than I was.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 12, 2018
When me and my mate were doing the cheat to change the clock settings so we could do unlimited mystery gifts. The buttons you had to press at the title screen were very similar to resetting your whole game, both also ask for a yes/no confirmation.

So doing another time reset for the umpteenth time. Dialog box comes up asking if I wanted to reset my game. I was on auto pilot by this stage. Scrolled down hit yes. Knew straight away what I had done. Reset my Pokemon Gold with all 250 'mons. Doh. I was a bit bummed. But by that stage I had sort of stopped playing.

Didn't touch another pokemon game until GO came out. Got the bug again. Bought a n3ds and every game for the DS and 3DS hah.

Guest123_x1

My top moment of panic would be when I got the message "the file data is destroyed" on Yellow back on Labor Day 2000. I was so scared at the time knowing that I would have to start over from the beginning, though in hindsight, it was kind of a blessing since it wiped out the many critical mistakes I made during that save file, such as running from the Legendary Birds battles, and wasting my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Whenever I knocked out a legendary. And forgot to save. But now I just one shot them and move on with my life because they'd just end up rotting in my pc

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
When my Pokemon fainted xD

I'd be all "OH NO THE FRIENDSHIP IS GONNA GO DOWWWN!!!" and turn off my game xD

Also, I used to cry when my Pokemon evolved. Yep.

Last edited:
Back