• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Homeward Bound™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Ah, the video evidentally has been put on hold, the video recorder I was going to use doesn't like to work on Vista, so I'm trying to find a good one, but all I keep finding crappy ones...

Instead, I will get more screen shots up together and show a bit that way *Sigh*.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Hypercam would probably be your best bet on Vista and 7 based systems. Also, when you post things that you made and don't wan't stolen, just blur them out with jpeg. Thats the best method that I have run into through my experience.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I was kind of hoping hypercam wasn't the way to go, it puts a stupid watermark in the corner and it looks horrible... Well I suppose I will have to go with that... I guess, videos aren't what makes the game, it brings the fans... Yeah I usually do save them in JPEG, but they are posted here so if any jackass decides they want to steal them, then they will be cursed and they will die of aids... Nonetheless, I created these a long time ago, I just recently posted them here, I will just screenshot when I made them and show the noob what a jabroni he/she is... Sorry for the graphic content... I hate thieves!!!

Production is still going great, I'm learning so many new things with Essentials and scripting that I change my game so many times haha! Progress is still on-going tho, my starters have change, again, haha! The way you get the starter has also changed! *Sigh*

I guess, when I download hypercam, I will have a video up and running of the game play up to -Pewter City-, I won't battle the leader, that is your job, I know how to beat him with ease and what Pokémon are where etc. So I will leave the gym leaders up to you, instead, I may just use a temp switch to bypass the gym or gyms, and show you a bit more gameplay, I will most probably skip most battles except wild encounters...

Saying Encounters... I would like peoples opinions on this:

Should I reveal the Pokémon locations;

1. Only Reveal Commons.
  2. Reveal Commons and Uncommons.
  3. Reveal up to Rares.
  4. Reveal all Pokémon locations.
  5. None of the above.
Options 3 and 4 is something I didn't/don't want to do as I think it would be fun for you guys, when you start to play my game, to talk amongst each other and reveal if you find a rare, and, each new rare that is found and posted here, would be added to the list... Depending on the rarity itself, I would put in the correct place.

Options 1 and 2 are the choices I will most probably go for, but I'd like your input, come on guys, without your input I will probably go for option 1.

Incase you are wanderring, I have 6 rarities;
Common, Uncommon, Rare, *Super Rare, *Ultra Rare and *Rumoured.
Each with a higher to lower chance of encounter... And believe me it took me over an hour (think around the hour and a half mark) of game play to find a Rare :shocked:, Which is kind of how I want it to go, but at another location I found a Super Rare within 10 minutes (I'm sure around 4-6 minutes)... To add, I would like to point out, that each area or location, in my game has at least 1 rare, but could also have --->up to<--- a Rumoured Pokémon... The rare doesn't neccessarily have to be something like a Mew, it can be something like a Caterpie too, I guess what I'm saying is, if it's on my list, it's a common/uncommon, if it's not, you just found yourself an uncommon/rare*... I would like to release this before the game, and, the video, so I don't give too much away during the video.

Also, would you like me to reveal the starter or would you prefer me to start the game without seeing the starter selection screen?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Thanks I'll take a look at that, anything is better than HyperCam...

Yeah I need peoples opinions, yours counts too... I'll skip the starter then and just give me a standard Pokémon to start the game.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Love your statement on theft. People could learn that it comes with risks, STDs. Indeed it is awful. Just remember that the people who take things usually don't ever finish their games anyway, because it shows how lazy they are if they can't do anything on their own. The hypercam watermark can be avoided if you just increase the size of the recording window so that the watermark records above it and not on the game window. I haven't heard of Jing yet, however it appears that you can only record up to five minutes... You just can't get a good recording software anymore these days. The best I have ever used would be Eatcam, but sadly it doesn't work properly with Vista and 7 users, so when I left XP I had to use Hypercam. I just bank on using screen shots though. RMXP needs a recording script added. Maybe something in the future version of essentials.

SuperTreaz

The Elder of Dunsparce
Years
I saw "friends and foes". Maybe, incase the player decides to be friends with EVERYONE, some NPCs can hate other ones so you will still have some foes.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Love your statement on theft. People could learn that it comes with risks, STDs. Indeed it is awful. Just remember that the people who take things usually don't ever finish their games anyway, because it shows how lazy they are if they can't do anything on their own. The hypercam watermark can be avoided if you just increase the size of the recording window so that the watermark records above it and not on the game window. I haven't heard of Jing yet, however it appears that you can only record up to five minutes... You just can't get a good recording software anymore these days. The best I have ever used would be Eatcam, but sadly it doesn't work properly with Vista and 7 users, so when I left XP I had to use Hypercam. I just bank on using screen shots though. RMXP needs a recording script added. Maybe something in the future version of essentials.

Yeah I know that's the case, that the game won't be completed if they are lazy anyway... I have used Jing before and yes, it is pretty... Crap... I thought there was a recorder built in, but I'm sure I didn't know how to use it, so I didn't bother... Or something like that.

I saw "friends and foes". Maybe, incase the player decides to be friends with EVERYONE, some NPCs can hate other ones so you will still have some foes.

I have a way to do this, it seems a little, odd, how it works, but I will sort this out more when alot more things are sorted... Basically, the better the friend, the better they help, tbhat's not to say the "lesser" friend cannot help... Foes have the same purpose, but in a different way.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
if your still taking suggestions i would like to suggest dont make the starters the same old fire water and grass type since its over played like dark psychic and fighting type starters or something and dont reveal them ^^

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
0.o Though you said you were bad at spriting.... Those sprites are amazing!

Aww thank you, I thought they were terrible at one point, they started to grow on me, but amazing! That makes me feel a lot better about them haha! I should have a few more soon.

if your still taking suggestions i would like to suggest dont make the starters the same old fire water and grass type since its over played like dark psychic and fighting type starters or something and dont reveal them ^^

Information On Rivals and Starters:
The starters aren't the traditional Grass, Fire, Water... In actually fact, the starter you have, the rival will not start with your weakness... Because in Homeward Bound™, you don't have a traditional Rival either... You make rivals during the game... The main characters (that you can choose from (male/female))... Have their Pokémon given to them differently, none of the, "both go to the Professor, you pick the starter, your rival picks the strongest to suit... Battle... Then rematch a couple towns on..." But your rival is played out differently and I love how all the rivals are played during the game... Can't wait for you all to find out what part they play

I never understood why the games make your rival do that! I wouldn't care for weaknesses, that shows the trainers weakness and as far as I know, Gary, is better than Ash, right?! Having never lost... So why pick the "stronger" out the 3...

I'm hoping your Starter will be a nice surprise, to a starter point of view anyway... Another thing, as I've made this game somewhat harder at points, easy at others and medium at others (this is not respective, as the game itself is spread between easy, madium and harder trainers), The starter you have is stronger than the originals.

How Do We Meet The Rival and Do We Battle:
You meet the rival early enough in the game, but you do not battle, he/she fits into the story (read the title)... There are a few characters that you meet throughout, who you will battle and each have their own "thing".

What Happened To The Original Starters:
This may be a question that would float in the back of your mind whether you ask it or not, but the usual KANTO starters, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, are available! Not by events, these are not given to you, they are not a prize, these are in fact, nothing to do with my creation... You can capture these in the wild, so you can have as many of these as you like.

What Other Pokémon Will Be Wild Then:
Good question! Every Pokémon is available, some only by overworld encounters, the rest, on Land, Surfing, Fishing, Caves and evolution... By Overworld encounters, I don't mean how Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres were portrade in r/b/y, or Mewtwo, but, they will be roamers in the wild, I just think it'll look prettier if some were moving in front of you instead of walking in the grass all the time, but, in some cases, they will be found in grass or caves, or whatever! But as rares, more common as Overworlds... Overworlds however, also have a chance to flee.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Aww thank you, I thought they were terrible at one point, they started to grow on me, but amazing! That makes me feel a lot better about them haha! I should have a few more soon.
Haha, no problem. Can't wait for the others :D based on those, I can tell the custom graphical charachers of this game are gonna be pretty good.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Haha, no problem. Can't wait for the others :D based on those, I can tell the custom graphical charachers of this game are gonna be pretty good.

Haha, at this time, all fakemon that are created by me will be uncatchable until after the Pokémon League, at least... Not too sure what I will do with them at the moment, may even open a new region, I have a lot written down, so many ideas are being played around in my head, just going to work out which I see would be the best option for the game.

When's the actual completed version going to be out?

I can't put an exact date to, but my guess would be, around August - September, time... Could be during, before or after, the game is pretty much done, just working out some kinks... A video will be released before the game, so when a video appears on this thread, expect the game download release shortly after.

A few things will happen when the release of the game is out:

• The thread layout will change.
  • An encounter guide will be added for your convenience. (Commons and Uncommons only, all new entries will be found by you.)
  • Information on major changes, item whereabouts, Pokémon rumours plus more.
  • Updates and Upgrades will happen constantly during your game-play.
The differences between updates and upgrades.​

1. Updates >> Updates are global, any player with the game will have updates, a new area, new encounters, new NPC arrivals... The list is endless.
  2. Upgrades >> Upgrades however, these will allow extra bonuses to a player, extra EXP, better money receivals, some rares being made easier to find, level bonuses, stat bonuses, plus much more, but, for a limited time.

• A form styled thing will be added to the thread also, which every player who downloads the game will NEED to fill out, this will consist of a few things;

1. Forum name
  2. In game name
  3. In game Trainer ID
  4. In game Gender
  5. In game Age
Each will need to be filled out correctly for ensurence of the bonuses, if any of these are wrong, you will miss out... If you fail to fill this out, again, you will miss out... So it would be in your best interest to fill this out, don't you think?!
Any rude or absurd names will result in bonuses being stripped.
Names recommended are your forum ID's. (just a recommendation, you don't have to it saves choosing a rude name)

More info may need to be filled out, but this is the d-low of what you will need to send me... Think of this as your official trainer card for Homeward Bound™.​

Last edited:

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
There has clearly been a lot of planning and thought put into this game, so it looks very promising and positive. I'm hoping you do expand further into the Kanto region and give it some new areas and different events to spice the game up a lot more. I do think you need to revise some of your tiles because a lot of them do not match in terms of palettes and there are some very obvious tile errors in the first post (whether you've fixed these is beyond me). I think you should get a colour scheme going and have all tiles stick to that instead of this very inconsistent look. That said, good luck in the completion of the project and I hope all these changes to the traditional Pokemon story turn out well.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
There has clearly been a lot of planning and thought put into this game, so it looks very promising and positive. I'm hoping you do expand further into the Kanto region and give it some new areas and different events to spice the game up a lot more. I do think you need to revise some of your tiles because a lot of them do not match in terms of palettes and there are some very obvious tile errors in the first post (whether you've fixed these is beyond me). I think you should get a colour scheme going and have all tiles stick to that instead of this very inconsistent look. That said, good luck in the completion of the project and I hope all these changes to the traditional Pokemon story turn out well.

I will look into the palettes at the moment there are a few higher things on my to-do-list, than colour schemes, but I will add that to the list.

KANTO has a few edits ;) I won't be releasing this to the public, and if it is released it would be because of someone already playing the game, maybe yourself... In saying this, I may add a map to the opening post with a region map, and each new area that is found, I will pin-point that area out on the map, you've just given me this idea, thanks for that haha.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017

Information On Rivals and Starters:
The starters aren't the traditional Grass, Fire, Water... In actually fact, the starter you have, the rival will not start with your weakness... Because in Homeward Bound™, you don't have a traditional Rival either... You make rivals during the game... The main characters (that you can choose from (male/female))... Have their Pokémon given to them differently, none of the, "both go to the Professor, you pick the starter, your rival picks the strongest to suit... Battle... Then rematch a couple towns on..." But your rival is played out differently and I love how all the rivals are played during the game... Can't wait for you all to find out what part they play

I never understood why the games make your rival do that! I wouldn't care for weaknesses, that shows the trainers weakness and as far as I know, Gary, is better than Ash, right?! Having never lost... So why pick the "stronger" out the 3...

I'm hoping your Starter will be a nice surprise, to a starter point of view anyway... Another thing, as I've made this game somewhat harder at points, easy at others and medium at others (this is not respective, as the game itself is spread between easy, madium and harder trainers), The starter you have is stronger than the originals.

How Do We Meet The Rival and Do We Battle:
You meet the rival early enough in the game, but you do not battle, he/she fits into the story (read the title)... There are a few characters that you meet throughout, who you will battle and each have their own "thing".

What Happened To The Original Starters:
This may be a question that would float in the back of your mind whether you ask it or not, but the usual KANTO starters, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, are available! Not by events, these are not given to you, they are not a prize, these are in fact, nothing to do with my creation... You can capture these in the wild, so you can have as many of these as you like.

What Other Pokémon Will Be Wild Then:
Good question! Every Pokémon is available, some only by overworld encounters, the rest, on Land, Surfing, Fishing, Caves and evolution... By Overworld encounters, I don't mean how Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres were portrade in r/b/y, or Mewtwo, but, they will be roamers in the wild, I just think it'll look prettier if some were moving in front of you instead of walking in the grass all the time, but, in some cases, they will be found in grass or caves, or whatever! But as rares, more common as Overworlds... Overworlds however, also have a chance to flee.
thank god it wont be the same every game i played its like the same thing over and over looking for to playing this game around school starting again xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back