• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

To buy or not to buy?

Years
I'll have to wait for more information before deciding on whether or not I want to buy these games. If they are going to improve Sun and Moon's flaws in a big way and if it does some interesting things with the plot, I might consider it. But if it's just Sun and Moon with improve graphics and minor improvements then I'll focus my attention to that Switch Pokemon game.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Isn't saying that you're going to buy them judging them prematurely, though? You've already decided you're going to buy them with barely any information available. It's just as hasty to say they're worth your time at this stage as it is to say they're not.

But honestly, I don't think judging the games prematurely is an issue here. It's a Pokemon game, and we all know on some level what we're getting, and what we can expect from that. In a franchise like this, where things really do not change in any ground-shaking way between instalments in gameplay terms, it's the little things that can make or break the purchase. The little things are what people look for in core Pokemon titles, and those little things can delay or outright put off purchases...or secure a day-one buy.

Like, for me, as a random example...if I see Lillie hand-holding through the region again, I won't buy these myself. I will probably ask for one for Christmas, but I wouldn't buy them. If I saw something crazy like revisiting Sinnoh after travelling through Alola, I'd buy these day one and I'd be bouncing off the walls between now and then, too. Gameplay is a non-issue because I already know exactly how it'll play. It's not really premature to judge the games based on that. Everyone has different priorities. The whole point of the thread was to find out what those are~
I have brought every single pokemon in a gen starting with 4. I am not missing USUM. People assume that these are the worst games ever when we saw only a thirty second trailer. Makes no sense.

pkmin3033

I have brought every single pokemon in a gen starting with 4. I am not missing USUM. People assume that these are the worst games ever when we saw only a thirty second trailer. Makes no sense.
I think that's a little hyperbolic...I don't know about "worst games ever" but there is plenty of reason to be hesitant about buying these games, or be less than optimistic about what form they will take. If you don't like Alola then these games are instantly unappealing, even more so than Sun/Moon would have been if you played the games anyway. The wording used in the trailer to describe the games could be unappealing - a re-imagining might not be a third version, but it's not a sequel either; that could put off people who DID like Alola but who wouldn't want to play the game through again. The mascots could put you off just as easily as they could excite you. I could go on.

I guess my point is that, even if there isn't really enough to outright condemn these games - and I'm not saying that there is - there is more than enough to form a negative first impression, just as there is enough to form a positive one...for some people. It might not make sense to you, but then your view might not make sense to other people either.

Reactions: Nah

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, and on release day or close enough to it, bar some trailer reveal that just happens to make me not want to. Part of me thinks that I really shouldn't, given my disappointment with the past few games/the series that I think y'all are generally aware of by now, but these are likely to be a bit better than Sun/Moon so there's that at least.

But I think the bigger reason why I'm going to buy US/UM and have kept buying the Pokemon games over the years is that I keep gambling on the chance to see if it's better than I expected, if they finally got it right this time. While they do reveal things to us beforehand, they don't reveal literally everything to us--they can't, things wouldn't be as fun then. Even for the things they do reveal, they might not show us everything about it, and it's one thing to see it, but another to play it. So I go in thinking that maybe there will be some surprise in store that'll make it worth it and/or that things will be more fun than I imagined.

But if these don't impress me and renew my faith in the franchise, I think I won't be buying the games on day one bar the likely upcoming Sinnoh remake and instead wait and see if they're worth getting or not, which could then mean that there could be some games I just straight up won't ever buy/play. I've been giving them chances (and my money) for more than 15 years now, I think it's time to stop until they can deliver.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Normally I'd buy any main-series game at launch but since SM were rather disappointing to me, I'll wait to make my decision based on just how many changes are made. If the only additions are a few new Kanto Alola forms, a few extra clothes, and the new Prism Mascots, then I likely won't get them. But if we see some substantial improvements, I'll go for it.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Gonna buy them both! I played through both sun and moon so it makes even more sense I'd get both. I'll prolly go through US more though considering Sun is my main game.

I already got some money to buy at least ultra sun, but if the game doesn't appeal to me in the trailers I'll probably wait a bit for more info.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I think that's a little hyperbolic...I don't know about "worst games ever" but there is plenty of reason to be hesitant about buying these games, or be less than optimistic about what form they will take. If you don't like Alola then these games are instantly unappealing, even more so than Sun/Moon would have been if you played the games anyway. The wording used in the trailer to describe the games could be unappealing - a re-imagining might not be a third version, but it's not a sequel either; that could put off people who DID like Alola but who wouldn't want to play the game through again. The mascots could put you off just as easily as they could excite you. I could go on.

I guess my point is that, even if there isn't really enough to outright condemn these games - and I'm not saying that there is - there is more than enough to form a negative first impression, just as there is enough to form a positive one...for some people. It might not make sense to you, but then your view might not make sense to other people either.
My view makes perfect sense. I actually give these games a chance unlike some. I don't jump to conclusions over a thirty second trailer. People who hate USUM are wrong and that is fact.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
People who hate USUM are wrong and that is fact.
They're not wrong to be hesitant to buy US/UM, and I don't think that they "hate" the games over a thirty-second trailer. They came to their decision based on how they felt about S/M (and maybe other older Pokemon games like the other 3DS ones) and figured that they're not going to spend their money on a game that they might not find enjoyable.

Granted, I'm not that excited about US/UM. I've only played Sun once and didn't enjoy it as much as I did with other Pokemon games. (And I was really hoping for Sinnoh remakes/Crystal on the eShop). I'm still going to buy Ultra Sun, at least since I play at least one main series Pokemon game per set.

But I'm wondering if I'm going to wait a bit before getting Ultra Sun, and not get it on release date like I have with nearly every other previous release. For one thing, I have a long list of other games I still want to play through. For another thing...I just wasn't that much of a fan of S/M, so I'm probably not going to be excited about US/UM.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
They're not wrong to be hesitant to buy US/UM, and I don't think that they "hate" the games over a thirty-second trailer. They came to their decision based on how they felt about S/M (and maybe other older Pokemon games like the other 3DS ones) and figured that they're not going to spend their money on a game that they might not find enjoyable.

Granted, I'm not that excited about US/UM. I've only played Sun once and didn't enjoy it as much as I did with other Pokemon games. (And I was really hoping for Sinnoh remakes/Crystal on the eShop). I'm still going to buy Ultra Sun, at least since I play at least one main series Pokemon game per set.

But I'm wondering if I'm going to wait a bit before getting Ultra Sun, and not get it on release date like I have with nearly every other previous release. For one thing, I have a long list of other games I still want to play through. For another thing...I just wasn't that much of a fan of S/M, so I'm probably not going to be excited about US/UM.

The last pair of games of a gen are considerably better. B2W2 and ORAS are examples of this. USUM would likely be the best of gen 7.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
I actually liked what I saw in the trailer, to be honest. I also think the "fusions" look pretty interesting, although I hope they take it in a different direction then they did in BW2. It's too early too tell how good the games will be though, but unless they're total trash, I plan on getting UM. It's a Pokemon game, after all!

gmartin

Years
I, for sure, will not buy Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.
*Major Rantage*
The reason being Pokemon Sun and Moon have been a huge disappointment to me. I've liked every game until Sun and Moon. It's just too strange now, if that makes any sense. The new Pokemon look like Digimon or something, it's strange. Until a Diamond/Pearl remake rolls around and the next set of main games roll around, I won't be touching any games as of now. I mean come on, Vulpix is literally made of fire, and they made it a ICE TYPE?! The PokeDex entry for Sapphire even says "Inside VULPIX's body burns a flame that never goes out. During the daytime, when the temperatures rise, this POKéMON releases flames from its mouth to prevent its body from growing too hot." IT'S LIKE THE WRITERS DIDN'T EVEN TRY. I'm not even going to mention what they did to poor little Exeggutor. Once GF gets their gears back in check, I'll come back to the newer games.

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
I, for sure, will not buy Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.
*Major Rantage*
The reason being Pokemon Sun and Moon have been a huge disappointment to me. I've liked every game until Sun and Moon. It's just too strange now, if that makes any sense. The new Pokemon look like Digimon or something, it's strange. Until a Diamond/Pearl remake rolls around and the next set of main games roll around, I won't be touching any games as of now. and they made it a ICE TYPE?! The PokeDex entry for Sapphire even says "Inside VULPIX's body burns a flame that never goes out. During the daytime, when the temperatures rise, this POKéMON releases flames from its mouth to prevent its body from growing too hot." IT'S LIKE THE WRITERS DIDN'T EVEN TRY. I'm not even going to mention what they did to poor little Exeggutor. Once GF gets their gears back in check, I'll come back to the newer games.

The frag?
I mean come on, Vulpix is literally made of fire,
did you mistook Vulpix with Magmar? Vulpix is based on a fox... more specially yokai kitsune ( or nine-tailed fox) in which part of vulpix "on fire?"
you are being a little petty here. You don't want GF being creative?
search youtube on Alolan forms and you will see why all of them ( even Exeggutor) makes perfect sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0i-yUSct2k&ab_channel=GaijinGoombahMedia
are you a genwunner or something?

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I might buy these games on launch day but it depends on a few things:

If it's basically the same game as before with no new Pokemon or Alolan forms and the only new thing being the Legendaries new forms and a nothing post game then I am likely going to wait a while before getting them.

If there is a reasonably fresh story with fun new Pokemon or Alolan forms, a new Pokedex and a solid post-game (I'm not talking B2W2 level here just something above a Battle Tower) then I will likely pick it up.
By new pokemon you mean older gen pokemon that SM has not got? I am down with that. However GF will never introduce new pokemon in the middle of the gen that is not older gen or current gen pokemon. It be wasting good pokemon that should be introduce in gen 8.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 22, 2019
Unless this game finds a way to be absolutely terrible, then yes, I'll buy it. I really liked Sun and Moon aside from a few gripes I have with it (namely the underdeveloped areas), so as long as USUM improve the games they should be good.

I probably won't be able to buy it on launch, tho, since its release is pretty close with Super Mario Odyssey.

Years
By new pokemon you mean older gen pokemon that SM has not got? I am down with that. However GF will never introduce new pokemon in the middle of the gen that is not older gen or current gen pokemon. It be wasting good pokemon that should be introduce in gen 8.

This is very much going to be the case, since new Pokemon are meant to be introduced in a new generation. And no, the whole "alternate universe" thing is not an excuse to introduce new Pokemon within games of the same generation because it'll cause compatibility issues.

pkmin3033

This is very much going to be the case, since new Pokemon are meant to be introduced in a new generation. And no, the whole "alternate universe" thing is not an excuse to introduce new Pokemon within games of the same generation because it'll cause compatibility issues.
Hmm...it is and it isn't. I mean, we already HAVE new Pokemon in the sense that those mascot Legendaries will almost certainly not be transferrable as they are to S/M. I know people technically don't count formes, but they're not that far removed entirely new Pokemon really...it does seem unlikely. But it wouldn't be a huge shock if they took that leap.

Years
Hmm...it is and it isn't. I mean, we already HAVE new Pokemon in the sense that those mascot Legendaries will almost certainly not be transferrable as they are to S/M. I know people technically don't count formes, but they're not that far removed entirely new Pokemon really...it does seem unlikely. But it wouldn't be a huge shock if they took that leap.

I know how much Game Freak loves throwing us off these past few generations. I just feel new Pokemon being introduced would be unlikely at this point.

pkmin3033

I know how much Game Freak loves throwing us off these past few generations. I just feel new Pokemon being introduced would be unlikely at this point.
Perhaps...but then, if they're going to expand upon Ultra Space, a new Ultra Beast wouldn't be out of the question. A new Island Guardian would be a must if they gave us a new island...that's unlikely, but even so. With the gens getting shorter and shorter, that old "half a generation" argument that surfaced in Gen VI could resurface in Gen VII too.

Don't forget, we don't know what they have planned for the Switch. It wouldn't surprise me if they went back to the beginning and remade Kanto...or even gave us a multi-region core title. Or something else. It won't necessarily be Gen VIII. So saying that any new designs could be saved for Gen VIII could be a pretty big assumption. Especially with the way they like to change things up as much as possible. So who knows.

Back