• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Battle's of the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
INTRO

Journey to a time before Professor Oak was a glint in his mothers eye. Set in Kanto 600 years before Red started his journey, you will encounter many challenges as you tour the region. Play a game that is different from other Pokemon games yet still feels the same. The game is created in RPGMaker XP using Flameguru and Poccil's starter kit.

STORY

in Viridian City, a young girl is lying in her bed, having trouble getting to sleep. The rain outside is pounding down hard and is a little scary. Her Grandfather, whom she lives with, comes in to check on her and finds she is still awake. Trying to get her to sleep he tells her a story of another young girl that lived in the same area 600 years ago.

600 years ago. A time before Professor Oak's ancestors settled in Kanto. A time before everything that is available now was never imagined. Viridian City is not built. The Pokemon League has not been formed and there are no badges. There is no bridge between Celadon City and Fuschia City. Kanto is not the place it is now. It has survived many bad times including an invasion but has started to return to it's former glory. The number of Pokemon that have shown up in the area is rising every year. Some people believe the number of different species is over 100. Some of the older trainers claim they have seen over 150 different kinds. In the last 200 years there have been sightings of three large bird Pokemon but nobody has been able to find them or even see them up close.

Somebody in the region is very excited. In her bedroom on Viridian Farm a young girl (Maizy Verde) is anxiously awaiting her birthday. Her father has promised to give her a special present now she is grown up. Little does she know that the present she will receive will take her on an adventure so great and fun, it will also be dangerous. Another thing she doesn't know is that other forces are watching her every move. A force that can sense catastrophes and travel in time. These forces are maneuvering Maizy through her journey towards her destiny.

FEATURES

- The maps are made using default RPG maker tilesets.

- Difficulty settings. You are able to choose how hard you want the game to be. An easy game gives you lower level Pokemon but you get more experience. The opposite applies for a difficult game.

- The player character (Maizy) is set to female.

- The rival has been chosen. His name is James and the Pokemon he has depends on the difficulty setting you choose.

- Time plays a bigger part than in official games - i.e. Shops will be open between 9am and 5pm.

- As well as time, you also have day based events.

- Certain area's will be busier at different times of the day.

- Though you only battle with up to 6 Pokemon, you have instant access to all of them thanks to the Pokebag.

- Roaming merchants will be going round the region with specialities (e.g. heal items, evolution items).

- No Pokeballs - will be using Apricorns.

- Full Pokedex has 198 Pokemon - The pokedex has been reordered and recreated. Some Pokemon have been removed. It is also not called a Pokedex, it is now a Pokepad.

- No fakemon - Don't like them.

- Pokecenter's haven't been invented yet. There are Inn's set around the region.

- Pokemart's are simple shops.

- No random battles, talking to overworld Pokemon will start a battle.

SCREENSHOTS

Example of Day events. The wandering Merchant visits the farm on a Thursday.
daysettings.png

Encountering you rival

rivalbattle.png

On Route 1

route001.png

In Viridian Forest

viridianforest.png

DOWNLOADS

When a new version is available it will be added here.

Version 1.0

http://tinyurl.com/kuf5xf

Version 1.1

http://tinyurl.com/mggncs

Version 1.2

http://tinyurl.com/kqfedl

STAFF

Current staff members:

Trikeboy - Leader. Also map making, event creation, some graphics.
InMooseWeTrust - Concept work, Pokedex creation and Pokemon graphics, Pokemon world knowledge
daysettings.png
viridianforest.png

Last edited:

ION3

Uncommon
Years
I tried the demo, most of the time I like when people try new ideas. This is no exception, besides a few errors during the game play (like left events siting around and random teleportation) here and there I would say it could end up being a good game. Keep up the work.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
I tried the demo, most of the time I like when people try new ideas. This is no exception, besides a few errors during the game play (like left events siting around and random teleportation) here and there I would say it could end up being a good game. Keep up the work.

Please be more specific about the errors so I can fix them. Thanks for the comment.

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
Years
Your character is to bug and this doesnt look like a pokemon type game sorry

Years
Hmm, so did you use poccils starter kit and just replace the tiles and character sets with the default RMXP tiles and character sets? Or was it done completely from scratch (which might be a bit harder unless your good at scripting)? Btw, your very good at mapping. Looks great.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
Hmm, so did you use poccils starter kit and just replace the tiles and character sets with the default RMXP tiles and character sets? Or was it done completely from scratch (which might be a bit harder unless your good at scripting)? Btw, your very good at mapping. Looks great.

Pretty much just used the tiles and characters that come with RMXP. Otherwise I would have needed to come up with a whole world tileset by myself and I'm not that good a spriter. The default tiles give the game the right feel for the time line.

waynes world said:
Your character is to bug and this doesnt look like a pokemon type game sorry

Sorry you don't like the look, but that is what I was going for. I know some will not like the look but a lot of games here all look the same. I am just trying to be different. It's the little differences that help something evolve. Remember that the events of the game take place 600 years before the games we are all familiar with.

BTW, I am not criticizing other games for the way they look. We all have our personal tastes. It's just that many users are using Kyledove's set and while they look fantastic, they are getting overused. I was using them for a while but the screenshots looked like they could have come from any other game.

Oh, what does "Your character is to bug" mean? I am a 27 year old from the UK so that is something I am probably too old or too foreign to understand.

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
Years
I took a guessatt bug meant big :?

I think it looks pretty good, the tiles do make it look very old and makes it fit with timeline right :)

ION3

Uncommon
Years
Bugs Reply

Well the main bugs I found was when I left the shop in the first town I teleported next to a barn, and at the entrance of Pallet Town when the story moves on, there's a event invisiable block that hasn't been moved so when you walk aver it it says you haven't explored the town but there's no event block next to ti so I can leave to town and explore everywhere else. And the noise that tells you ran into something is irraiting but thats just me.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
Well the main bugs I found was when I left the shop in the first town I teleported next to a barn, and at the entrance of Pallet Town when the story moves on, there's a event invisiable block that hasn't been moved so when you walk aver it it says you haven't explored the town but there's no event block next to ti so I can leave to town and explore everywhere else. And the noise that tells you ran into something is irraiting but thats just me.

Thanks for that. Both are now fixed. I made the farm bigger must have missed the event inside the shop. If anybody else experiences errors please let me know.

Years
Heya, i found a small bug bug in your demo, just here to let you know.
Theres a sandstorm in the shop lol, i guess you know how to fix it, just using the editor.
Anyway, nice job, good to see someone moving away from the traditional style of things ^^

~DarkAchu~

Shady Character Lurking Around
Years
Ooh looks very nice, is this your first game, if so very nice, looks sorta more RPG than what nintendo wanted, so i like it, sorta like Final Fantasy, so in all very nice game and Good Luck for the future

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
Thanks. Is it my first game? No, It's my third. The first is not worth mentioning. The second was for a University project and was a isometric game 6 years ago. I did the level design. Again, not worth too much mention. This is the first game I have worked on since then. I have used a few development systems (eg DizzyAGE) but had trouble programming it. This is the first time I have programmed a game to this level. I did do a hack of Pokemon Red a few years ago. It is called Pokemon 151. It was very basic and was a game where you could catch all the Pokemon in logical locations (no Mew's, Bulbasaur's or Squirtle's on route 1). I think it is availabe on Doh Games.

BTW, I can read your signature.

I have uploaded version 1.1 which has all the error's fixed and some others I noticed eg you are supposed to be able to buy Apricorn's from the farm shop after you finish the Pallet Town part of the story.

Last edited:

lizardman974

I'm honestly just that awesome
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2013
Cool game! The sprites make it look a lot like Harvest Moon, which in my opinion is kinda neat! The only complaint I have is that you allow the player to choose a female OR male character, because I feel that it's a given.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
There is absolutely no reason why we have to have a character of a particular gender. If we did, we would have to create twice as many events and make all the dialogue gender-neutral. Instead of doing that, it's easier to have it predermined so we can focus more on story and character design.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2009
Well done! For a fan-made game, this is looking pretty great. Feels a lot like an authentic Pokemon game, and gobbled up over 2 hours of my time this morning!

I thought I should let you know about this error message I got though:

"Script 'Interpreter' line 258: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 11, map 26 (route 23):..."

I'd have posted an image of the full error message, but the site says I need to make 15 forum posts first. Anyway, it happened when I encountered the 2nd trainer through the little cave (I think).

I hate to have a gripe with your otherwise lovely game, but the music is a little quiet compared to the sound effects. And as someone said before, the bumping-into-things sound effect is quite grating. Apart from that though, I think you're doing a fantastic job and I can't wait to see some more.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. Save GC

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
Thanks for that Rachael. The event is fixed. Hardest part was finding it.

Oh and Save GC

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2010
I just downloaded the demo, and I'm already stuck. I'm probably just missing something, and I feel incredibly dumb for asking this, but what is the barn? I checked every building I have access to but one says it's locked, one just doesn't open and the other one is your own house. I don't get it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
Actually, I realised a mistake when fixing the problem Rachael told me about. I added the barn after finishing the basic layout to make the farm bigger. I copied the door from the shop and forgot to remove the time restriction. It will not be in the next release. Try changing the time on your computer to before 8pm and the door will open. It is the one with the Miltank and Mareep next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back