• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indexing and Inserting Sprites

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2008
Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me. My screen goes black when i try to catch the custom sprite.

I would also like to know how to add a custom back sprite to my custom front sprite (if that's what its called?)

Last edited:

NoriakiZ

Rookie
Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
I need help!!!

I can't get the background to be transparent. Why can't I do this?

NatureKeeper

Where are the offsets? all i find are scribbles. I really want to Insert my cute PIPLUP...

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
Years
I got the first sprite in perfectly, tested it out and I saw it from the front, but when I tried to use him as one of my own pokemon(Back pic) The game froze. Do you know what the problem is or can anyone help me?

timson733333

Woah.
Years
I think there's a problem with my computer.

I tried to put a Pirahna Plant sprite into the game, but it aborted it. The next time I turned to Bulbasaur, it was totally glitched up.

I tried it again, this time pointing to free space, and there was a "sharing violence". It messed me up.

Seriously, what is the problem?

Chary

Yeah-Hah!
Years
Hey um.. could someone give me a link to get irfanview [ sorry if it is misspelled ]

poddish

Spirit Of Radio
Years
How to put the new sprite over the ? guys

How do you put the new sprite over one of the many ?? pokemon instead of over the real pokemon? Also how do you know that an offset is blank in fire red?

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
Years
I'll help all of you as best I can But I need pictures to see what your trying to explain. I work better when I can see the problem visually rather than Reading it.

P.s. I fixed my problems on my indexing and spriting problems thats why I say I'll help all of you as best I can.

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2008
When I try to insert a sprite it says image not indexed. How do I fix this?

It says my image isn't indexed. How do I fix this?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2008
Ah, that's how you get free space to work. Thanks a bunch!
EDIT: I tried it, and inserted a sprite over Mudkip in Ruby. When I chose the Pokemon in Birch's bag, the game froze... What do I do?
EDIT2: I used the Free Space you used in your tutorial and it worked fine. I think the Free Space that I got from Free Space Finder may have been wrong or something. How do I use a Hex Editing Program to find free space?

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me. My screen goes black when i try to catch the custom sprite.

I would also like to know how to add a custom back sprite to my custom front sprite (if that's what its called?)

I'm pretty sure the problems both of you had were that the free space you used from FSF didn't have enough space for your sprites or you put the palette too close. I had this problem as well and it's best to do what Jagold did and put the palette way in the back of the ROM with the sprite at the first bit of free space you find. I hope this clears up the problems people might have.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2009
I did exactly what you said, and it always comes out with that message "Ptr found at [Hex number]. Changing."

My sprite kind of looks like the Gulpin and Swalot in those pictures posted before...The same sprites, but with the pallette changed. Is that supposed to happen? I'm afraid I can't see if it should or not yet because the character I'm editing is later in the game...in retrospect that was kind of a bad idea...

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I did exactly what you said, and it always comes out with that message "Ptr found at [Hex number]. Changing."

My sprite kind of looks like the Gulpin and Swalot in those pictures posted before...The same sprites, but with the pallette changed. Is that supposed to happen? I'm afraid I can't see if it should or not yet because the character I'm editing is later in the game...in retrospect that was kind of a bad idea...

since you changed the sprite location, yes, you can only see the old sprite with changed palletes...
if you wanna test if it looks exactly as you planned, try it by playing the ROM.

but do so remember to save back-ups.

Mario_Bones

Lazuli Version Creator
Years
How do you put the new sprite over one of the many ?? pokemon instead of over the real pokemon? Also how do you know that an offset is blank in fire red?
1. I think I may have figured out how to do this, but I'm going to test it first. I'll post here if I figure out how.
2. To find blank offsets, get a hex editor. Open your ROM and scrool down until you find a load of F's. Look at the offset listed and write it down because its blank. Make sure it only has F's, like in the picture in the tutorial.

Years
  • Seen Aug 26, 2008
i got a problem where my sprite's colors become inverted in the game. i'm trying to swap out gardeviors sprite for its moe version in emerald because i guess the English patcher missed it but it becomes green where it should be white ext. am i missing a step or do i just fail?

Back