• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter do you think is the best?

Which starter in Pokemon F\L

• Total voters

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
In my opinion, there is no best starter.
It really depends on one's self, but I personally like Charmander the best.

That's only because it's the very first starter I picked in my history with Pokemon.
I like its appearance when it evolves into Charizard, it looks very cool and it even has a good Sp. Atk.

Based on just the game, I would definitely go with Charmander.

But if it had to be based on the one I like most, it would be Bulbasaur.
Squirtle's cool I guess.

Must go with Charmander, even though all three have their qualities.

I like Charmander best because it evolves into Charizard. I always liked Charizard's design more than any other Kanto starter Pokemon.

Statwise:
1-Blastoise
2-Charizard
3-Venusaur

Difficulty:
1-Charizard
2-Squirtle
3-Bulbasaur

I actually put the starter in the box and keep it there at first best opportunity. I'm boring that way. :p

I guess I'm a little biased, but from a mechanics perspective, Squirtle is probably best. Not only is Water fairly overpowered, aside from Magikarp/Gyarados it actually takes a while to find a Water-type, both after Grass and Fire-types have been found.

It depends on what team you plan on using.
Of the 3, Charmander is the best because its final form of Charizard is an absolute beast.
However, I typically choose Bulbasaur because I use Arcanine as my fire type and Lapras as my water type.

I've always liked Bulbasaur, can't really say why though. I do feel sad for the Squirtle that just sits there for the rest of the game, though.

bulbasaur

Squirtle, because it's cute as hell and you're gonna die as it becomes to it's last evolution and mega evolves. O_O

I've always been a Charmander fan. Don't get me wrong, given the change, I get all 3 Kanto starters. But at the beginning of my first file, I got Charmander. This same Charmander has since become a Charizard, and has been used in breeding little Charmanders that have since been sent into Generation IV, V, and soon VI.

YEAH guys your all are right. Pokemonleaguechamp I am also a Charmander fan. Really you got 3 starter in one game ? and great to here about your trend to gen IV,V,VI

joeb3 yeah charizard, charmander all are great evolved forms. And all starter are great.

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
When I was young, I always took Squirtle as I found it sweet.
Until today, it's still my favourite starter in FRLG!

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
That is not an incorrect question to introduce in a thread, but my answer is vague, yet solid. I firmly believe that there is no 'best', so much as there are three really strong fighters who have their own unique series of skillsets. Bulbasaur appears first on the pokedex, Charmander appears fourth and Squirtle appears seventh, so that's the order of which I will explain.

Bulbasaur is strong in any capacity, containing high physical power, for Tackle and Strength, and magical attack, like Razor Leaf and Solarbeam. Along with those offensively intimidating abilities, the Bulbasaur line is the proud owner of Sleep Powder and Leech Seed. (Leech Seed, back in the day, was an obscure skill, not unlike how Leaf Blade was rare in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.)

Charmander is respectfully tough to level, equally tough to hate as well. :P Despite being a Fire/Flying type, Charizard has quite an assortment of non-Fire/Flying moves, such as Metal Claw, Slash and Dragon Rage. FR/LF have an advantage over its retro counterparts in the manner that Charizard can now learn and use Fly! (Thanks for noticing, GameFreak.) Even w/out Fly, the Charmander line learns Flamethrower and Wing Attack, suitable for the final form.

Squirtle is not weak in any circumstances, despite being the only singular-typed starter throughout the entire line. Just like how Charizard can learn Fly, the Blastoise line, even Squirtle itself can learn Surf. (Yaay!!) Skull Bash doesn't suck, provided you don't mind the 'wasted' turn. (I hate Skull Bash with a passion, but even I will use it, given the proper opportunity.) Bite is an awesome Dark move. (Again, thanks, GameFreak for converting Bite's move-type.) And bless 'em for giving the Squirtle line access to Rain Dance.

All of the above pokemon are compelling and are recommended for use by me, your friendly neighbourhood Pokemon enthusiast. :P

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 16, 2014
That's funny i've a picture that show that squirtle is the best but i can't show it until i've 15 post xD

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
My favorite is charmander because it comes handy after ist two gyms and very useful against elite 4. And it evolves into my favorite pkmn Charizard.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
My favorite is charmander because it comes handy after ist two gyms and very useful against elite 4. And it evolves into my favorite pkmn Charizard.

That is not an incorrect question to introduce in a thread, but my answer is vague, yet solid. I firmly believe that there is no 'best', so much as there are three really strong fighters who have their own unique series of skillsets. Bulbasaur appears first on the pokedex, Charmander appears fourth and Squirtle appears seventh, so that's the order of which I will explain.

Bulbasaur is strong in any capacity, containing high physical power, for Tackle and Strength, and magical attack, like Razor Leaf and Solarbeam. Along with those offensively intimidating abilities, the Bulbasaur line is the proud owner of Sleep Powder and Leech Seed. (Leech Seed, back in the day, was an obscure skill, not unlike how Leaf Blade was rare in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.)

Charmander is respectfully tough to level, equally tough to hate as well. :P Despite being a Fire/Flying type, Charizard has quite an assortment of non-Fire/Flying moves, such as Metal Claw, Slash and Dragon Rage. FR/LF have an advantage over its retro counterparts in the manner that Charizard can now learn and use Fly! (Thanks for noticing, GameFreak.) Even w/out Fly, the Charmander line learns Flamethrower and Wing Attack, suitable for the final form.

Squirtle is not weak in any circumstances, despite being the only singular-typed starter throughout the entire line. Just like how Charizard can learn Fly, the Blastoise line, even Squirtle itself can learn Surf. (Yaay!!) Skull Bash doesn't suck, provided you don't mind the 'wasted' turn. (I hate Skull Bash with a passion, but even I will use it, given the proper opportunity.) Bite is an awesome Dark move. (Again, thanks, GameFreak for converting Bite's move-type.) And bless 'em for giving the Squirtle line access to Rain Dance.

All of the above pokemon are compelling and are recommended for use by me, your friendly neighbourhood Pokemon enthusiast. :P

Woow look like Charmader is too popular here. :P

Back