• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite book?

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
Years
My favorite book is The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. It is part of the Mayfair Witches saga and tells the story of the Mayfair family, a family with a rare offspring of witches and sorcerers, and a mysterious spirit that accompanies the family since the beginning of the lineage. Highly recommended if you like thrillers.

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
Years
I believe this should be in Culture and Media, but my favorite is The Catcher in the Rye. It embodies my way of thinking well and all. It really does.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I'm not all too interested in reading. I won't go out and just go get a book and start reading, unless I have to, but I usually enjoy most of the books that I have to read as long as they aren't history books. I had to read The Great Gatsby in English class junior year and I fell in love with it. I couldn't put it down and I finished the book the next day, so I knew what was going to happen while we were reading it in class. I remember enjoying most of the reading material we had to read in my English class all throughout high school...

Margot

some things are that simple
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2022
Just one? D: My all time favorite books are as follows:

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns - I read this book in one sitting, it's sooo good and I can't recommend it enough. A lot of people get turned off when I say it's a story that takes place in Afghanistan under the Taliban. However, it intertwines two stories and characters together and there are plenty of twists and just talking about it makes me want to re-read it again.

2. Memoirs of a Geisha - I love the movie, but I prefer the book to it. I read this story once a year :) It's about a girl who's taken from her family and sent to live as a working girl before becoming a geisha. Her sole reason for becoming a geisha is 1) to pay back the money she owes her new family and 2) so she could be close to the man she met on the bridge as a kid. It's a great book, it's a love story but there's a lot more to keep in interesting.

3. Walk This Way: The Autobiography of Aerosmith. It's a book about my favorite band and it's set up in sections so each memeber chimes in about different events and you get everyone's take on what happened. It starts from when they were kids and moves along to when the band formed and all their speed bumps, addictions, recoveries, and comebacks. The book is very well written/edited and since you hear it coming straight from the band members, it's never a dull read.

Years
I can't pick just one book. Just can't happen. Generally though my favorites fall into two categories:

1st category: books with amazingly beautiful writing:
Wind, Sand, and Stars by Antoine de Saint Exupéry
➙ This book is filled with lots of beautiful imagery and makes me want to stare at clouds and fly a rickety airplane through a storm over an empty desert.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
➙ Normally I like straightforward stories with likable protagonists, but for a story which is essentially all from the perspective of a duplicitous child molester you'd be amazed how seductive the language is. It's kind of a challenge of the book, seeing is you're taken in by the charm of the narrator even as he's describing awful things. And it's really not explicit at all, although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's not ready for the subject matter all the same.

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
➙ It's a very human story covering a lot of sad territory, but always with its head held up high. I think of it as one of those "life is beautiful" kind of stories.
2nd category: fun, not-full-of-fantasy-cliches fantasy stories:
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
➙ Basically a 19th century-style novel with real magicians. It's got that 19th century style of writing, which is great for people like me who eat that up, wonderfully detailed characters, and very quickly into reading it you can really feel yourself believing that everything in its pages could have really happened.

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers
➙ I was in a bit of a reading slump when I read this book. It's what you call a page turner. I could not stop reading because every page had some new, crazy cartoonish character or plot twist or literary joke or subtle reference. It's full of more imagination than I've ever seen in one book. Clearly a fantasy adventure story, but with nothing any other adventure story had.

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
➙ It's a very simple, typical fantasy story, and at the same time it's not. I don't really know how to describe it except it's not anything like the adaptations out there (which are crap). It's just good because it's like every good fantasy out there with all the silly, bad stuff stripped away, leaving something purer and rawer.

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett
➙ Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are all spoofs and satires of one thing or another and there are lots of recurring characters that add something extra for fans though anyone can pick up any book and enjoy it. This one has dwarfs and werewolves in a mock-Transylvania and all the adventure and hijinks his books always have, but with a fun backstory running underneath it all.
That's probably enough for now. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't know of any favorite books at the top of my head, but I like the Artemis Fowl series because of how the mythical creatures were portrayed.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
1984 by George Orwell
and
Feed by M.T. Anderson

I like the way the themes are represented and the society it takes place in.

Schmutz

Franatic
Years
I love Nancy Drew. I've read all of the main series, most of the Case Files, and many of the new series. They're awesome.
Big Harry Potter fan.
Waiting for the last Inheritance Cycle book to come out. Any day now. Maybe.
Just read Fahrenheit 451 for school and loved it.
Chronicles of Narnia, of course. I have them all in one HUGE book.
I love the Wrinkle in Time series.

There are many, many more (PS My floor-to-ceiling bookshelf is severely overflowing onto my floor), but I can't possibly name them all without boring you.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
My favorite books would have to be the Harry Potter series, the Maximum Ride series and the Mortal Instrument series. I have quite a few more favorite books tho. I love books so much >.<

Years
I can't really narrow it down to one book, but Tuesdays With Morrie and Ender's Game were terrific books, and my favourite series is hands down the Saga of Seven Suns books by Kevin J. Anderson (not usually a sci-fi kind of guy but these books were great).

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
It used to be The Road by Cormac MacCarthy, but now it might be a three-way tie between that, Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. The first is just so perilously bleak, but incredibly well-written that I could still enjoy its tales of dystopian journeys and cannibalism. The second is apparently emblematic of the hipster crowd, but I still really like the prose and the delicate story. The third is just crazy, with footnotes everywhere, video game references, absurd humour and all sorts of other stuff; kinda wonderful but not to everyone's taste, I imagine!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
The Exit Authority/The Next Exit. The first is out of print but was better laid out, but both books are excellent resources that list what businesses you can find off interstate highways.

Haynes Automotive Repair Manual series. Very helpful, in-depth books if you do repairs to your car yourself.

As you can tell from my favorite books list, I don't read fiction all that much. Reading crap in English pretty much put a sour taste in my mouth and I avoid most fiction literature like the plague. Nonfiction reference/research books are where I get much enjoyment from reading.

Years
I don't have a specific single title, Imma list my all-time reads.

1. House Rules. As always, my most favourite and read books out of Jodi's library. Really deep thoughts and insight into people with Aspergers and an uncanny scenario of court cases and detective mysteries from CrimeBusters. ;)

2. Moon and Sun: The Silver Door. I read the prequel but I chose this over the other as its content really has a fantasy feel to it and it's an exciting adventurous read of your boring late-night eyes. :)

3. Anne of Green Gables. I first took this book into my mind at 10 and since then, it's the only classic novel that stands out to me amongst the rest. It's not boring and it brings us into an innocent mind of a young orphan girl who is remarkably diligent and headstrong. :3

4. Ink Heart. It has the most creative plot and the writing is just fabulous. I loved the whole trilogy. <3

5. The Book Thief. First reading it for a school assignment, I grew in love with the characters in the book. It left me captivated about the force of books that it just made me stumped for words. I can't describe it, just read it for yourself. :')

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Call me weird, but the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix. It's oddly captivating, and you can imagine the world so vividly in how he describes it in the book. Also, it's quite interesting in some aspects, such as one of the villains in the 2nd and 3rd, and her storyline in her own book.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
Years
My favorites are To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.

To Kill A Mockingbird is just awesome because I love the lesson it teaches, about how racism and poverty can kill your innocence :')
Ender's Game, because the story of a child being taken away from his family to fight in a "war" with an alien race is just... so cool 8) and I hate to sound like a sadist here, but I just love his brother Peter. Oh Peter, him and his psychopathic violence.
Last but not least, I love And Then There Were None because the whole plot just sucks you in. The ten people on the island disappear one by one, each dying in a different way. Each death matches one line of the poem, "Ten Little Soldier Boys". After a thorough search, they come to the conclusion that the murderer is, in fact, one of them...

Yeah :]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I don't really consider myself well read, it's hard to find both the motivation and books that really interest me. Out of what I have read though, these are my favourites:

Coraline by Neil Gaiman:
I read it when I was about 13 or 14, I can't remember. No other book has managed to draw me in as much as this before or since. I can't recall much about it, except that I found the protagonist likeable (rare for me) and that it remained on my thoughts often for months afterwards. Pretty much the definitive book of the closure of my childhood.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley:
For me, it represents everything Nineteen Eighty-Four (which I really didn't like) should have been. The questioning stance on modern society and morals, the future we could be heading towards, and the various attitudes of people. I think that simply the time period in which it was written helped me appreciate it a whole lot more, just because it seemed to be still so relevant almost 80 years later. It was like one small summary of what I think is wrong with everything. I didn't love this book but I did feel that it reached out to me in a way most others don't.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess:
Really just for almost the exact same reasons as Brave New World. I see no reason to re-summarise it. Although I thought the setting and imagery was better in this book.

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami:
This is my most recent read, and the first in many years that I've read from start to finish in just a few days. The characters were well developed, and there was a really nice mix of reality and the supernatural and the difficulty of being able to tell the difference between the two. The book was left open to many different interpretations, which I really like. Although the beginning of the book seemed too similar to a generic (unrequited) romance novel, it soon turned into something interesting. I really enjoyed the writing style as well.

And I also feel compelled to mention H.P. Lovecraft just for his ability to write horror that I love. Horror is by far my favourite genre, but simultaneously my most hated; if it's done right then I will remember it forever, otherwise I can't stand it. I've only read a number of short story collections since I recently discovered him, but they were all very engaging and suited my taste perfectly.

NightOfRemorse said:
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.

A nice choice. Agatha Christie is one of those authors I wish I really would read more of. This is one novel I'm sure I will remember for a long time.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
There are a ton of books I love, so it's pretty hard for me to just pick one.

Jurassic Park
I'm a huge Crichton fan, so I tend to love anything he writes, even at his worst he's still an amazing writer. The guy does an incredible amount of research when going into any historical or scientific subject matter and I think that helps his books read a lot easier. The characters here are pretty awesome and the idea seemed, well not incredibly original, but he pulled it off with great style.

Number the Stars
This is something I read when I was much younger and I still love it. This is the first book I ever read to contain such serious subject matter, it most definitely holds up well to this day. The end just sort of left me with a lot of questions I wasn't sure who to ask about way back when. This is most definitely the one that got me thinking about things a little more seriously and deeper than before I had read it.

The Graveyard Book
I love Neil Gaiman as a writer and this is the book that drew me into the world of his writings. I first heard it called Jungle Book in a graveyard and thought that was interesting, so I picked it up and discovered a really incredibly story that deals with fantasy and human attachment in a way anyone can relate to.

Other favorites include Regarding Ducks and Universes, Lee (Tito Purdue), The Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy (probably my favorite series of children's books), and anything by Lovecraft, I think Cool Air and The Colour Out of Space are my favorites from him. I also really enjoy the Hitchhiker's series for its nonsensical plots that manage to tie into a really charming story by the time all is said and done. Buckley Archer's The Time Travelers series is also a fun ride with a great literary voice.

...though! That said, I think I do have a favorite.

Absalom, Absalom!
It's an odd little book that leaves you wondering just what the hell happened and what the point of everything was by the time you hit the last page. It leaves you thinking quite a lot about the series of events that lead to the sort of karmic payback handed to the main character. Deals a lot with Southern racism and just makes for a great read.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Just one favourite book is impossible. It just can't work that way lol

1. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
This may seem like a cliche choice, but I honestly believe there is not, and will never be, another book series as wonderfully written, addictive, intricately plotted or magical as those books. I don't believe in God, but if I did I would say that J.K. Rowling is a divine gift to this world. And they have to be listed as a series because they are so intricately linked that to love one book is to love them all.

2. Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding
Quite simply the most hilarious works of fiction I have ever read.

Now, onto the biographies:

1. Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin
The most hilarious and fascinating autobiography I have ever read. It was at the top of the New York Times Bestseller List for a reason. That woman's journey through Hollywood, combined with her uniquely funny view on things, makes it a pleasure to read. That came out like a weird review/advertisement lol

2. Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi
I truly believe that book will help so many women fighting with body-image issues and also so many gay people around the world. It's just a beautifully-written book, you honestly could not tell that it was her first outing as a writer, and her emotion and honesty just floored me and touched me on so many levels.

3. My Horizontal Life; Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea and Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler.
Hilarious, just hilarious. They're not really autobiographies as such but they're all collections of incredibly funny stories about her life. I can't wait to read her fourth book, Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me, when it comes out in Australia.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
My favourite book is Sphere by Michael Crichton. He's my favourite author and that's one book that always has me on the edge of my seat no matter how many times I read it. Though, my copy of Jurassic Park is literally falling apart (I think the front cover fell off), so if you go by number of times read and how often it went everywhere with me... it might take the prize.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
I love this book called The Compound by S.A. Bodeen. It's different... but it's really interesting about halfway through...

Back