• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Repost] Why does it always rain on me?

marcc5m

what
Years
Why does it always rain on me?
Because Politoed

Reposting because of the new section and also in the hope of some better rating/review (why are the called rate my team's anyway? I mean it's more like review so that's what the r should stand for).

First RMT. I've been wanting to do one of these for a while but never had the patience to build a full team that is actually good. Anyway, this is obviously a rain team, something that is now much easier to use thanks to Politoed's Dream World ability, Drizzle, previously only useable by Kyogre in the Uber Tier. Anyway, without further ado, here's my hopefully good team:

186.gif

Politoed @Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 58HP/194SAtk/252/Sdef
~ Hypnosis
~ Encore
~ Scald
~ Ice Beam

My lead, and the most important Pokemon of this team, and many other RD teams. Drizzle brings infinite rain to the field, powering up Water moves and weakening Fire moves. Encore is there for Pokemon that try to set up SR, Spikes, SD, Nasty Plot, the list goes on. Obviously the opponent is most likely to switch, which is where Hypnosis comes in and puts them to sleep. Scald is there for STAB, and Ice Beam is there because I'm cool like that.

642.gif

Thundurus @Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 6Def/252SpA/252Spe
~ Nasty Plot
~ Thunder
~ Hidden Power [ice]
~ Focus Blast

I'm gonna be honest...this guy rocks. Prankster with Nasty Plot helps me raise his already pretty high Special Attack, and STAB Thunder with Nasty Plot, Life Orb and 100% accuracy is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Hidden Power Ice is there for Dragons and Ferrothorn, as is Focus Blast which is also for Ice Types. Ice is not nice to Flying Pokemon :(

454.gif

Toxicroak @Black Sludge
Nature: Adamant
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 244HP/252Atk/12Def
~ Drain Punch
~ Substitue
~ Bulk Up
~ Sucker Punch

Idk where I saw this set, and I battled one similar to it (might've been the same idk, but the moves were definitely the same)...and it's awesome :D Substitute Stalls out my opponent for a little while, giving me a chance to Bulk Up, and Black Sludge and Dry Skin will recover HP lost from Substitute, as will Drain Punch, and Sucker Punch is there to stop pesky Psychic types that ruin Toxicroak.

212.gif

Scizor @Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Trait: Technician
EVs: 6HP/252Atk/252Spe
~ Bullet Punch
~ X-Scissor
~ Pursuit
~ U-Turn

Scizor is cool :) His biggest weakness, Fire, is weakened in the rain, and Bullet Punch which gets Priority and STAB, as well as a little boost with Technician. X-Scissor is an awesome STAB move for Scizor, Pursuit takes out Pokemon before they switch and try to escape from the wrath of my awesome Scizor. U-Turn is in case I need to switch myself :)

598.gif

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252Def/196SpDef/60Atk
0 Speed IVs
~ Stealth Rock
~ Leech Seed
~ Power Whip
~ Gyro Ball

Like Scizor, Ferrothorn's biggest weakness is no longer so much of a threat, combined with his awesome defensive stats. Stealth Rock is obviously there to...well, set up Stealth Rocks? And Leech Seed drains HP. A good switch in to Toxicroak afterwards could take ages for whoever I'm battling to kill, and Power Whip is for STAB and is pretty damn powerful. Gyro Ball is also for STAB, and works wonders with Ferrothorn's crappy speed.

593.gif

Jellicent @Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252HP/168Def/88SpD
~ Shadow Ball
~ Toxic
~ Scald
~ Recover

A good, bulky, spin-blocker. Jellicent is here to stop the enemies team from using Rapid Spin and clearing the field of Ferrothorn's rocks, and gets three immunities with the Water Absorb ability. Shadow Ball and Scald are excellent STAB moves, the latter of which could possibly burn the opponent, and if not, well, Toxic. Recover is there so I can get my HP back. Back again. HP's back. Tell a friend.

So there you have it. My team :)

186.gif
642.gif
454.gif
212.gif
598.gif
593.gif

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hi, looks like a fairly solid team from first glance. However it looks like you're going to have a lot of difficulty with Magnezone. It traps Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as scares out Politoed and Jellicent. Thundurus and Croak are the only things that scare it out, though Croak takes a ton from a random Thunderbolt (394 Atk vs 166 Def & 368 HP (95 Base Power): 243 - 286 (66.03% - 77.72%)) and Thundurus even more so (394 Atk vs 196 Def & 299 HP (95 Base Power): 205 - 243 (68.56% - 81.27%)). You might want to invest in something that resists Electric moves or scares it out, like a rain abuser Dragonite set. You should also run Superpower on Scizor - X-Scissor is wasteful anyway (U-turn hits just as hard, and on a Technician set Bug Bite is superior). You can also catch apparent Magnezone switch-ins with it.

I'd really suggest having Rotom-W somewhere on the team - Scizor and Rotom-W complement each other extremely well and can play the Volt Change & U-turn mindgame, constantly forcing out the other's checks and continually forcing the opponent to rack up Spikes and SR damage. For example: You send out Scizor. They switch to Skarmory as you U-turn, and you switch in Rotom-W. They switch in Latias and you Volt Change out (note that Skarm is OHKO'd if it stays in, making Scizor's job so much easier) and you switch Scizor back in. They're stuck in the mindgame of "how am I going to hit this" and puts you at a huge advantage with prediction and keeping the opponent under your control.

I also greatly prefer Taunt Jellicent as it's literally superior to every other set.

593.gif

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald
- Recover

Taunt and 88 Spe EVs lets you outpace min Speed Skarmory and burn/taunt it before it recovers. Will-o-Wisp is greatly preferred as Jellicent would rather improve its defense (by cutting attack) rather than trying to outstall Toxic damage while they just set up. 75 Acc is better than a 30% chance to burn, btw. Taunt Jellicent is a really good stallbreaker and oftentimes beats things like Ferrothorn.

Aside from that, I can't think of much, though I'd definitely consider Specs Politoed at lead as that is its best set (a chance of OHKOing standard Rotom-W if it comes in on the HPump is amazing). Good luck with your team and I hope I helped a bit.

Tsvet

A wild trainer appears~
Years
Just as side note: If Jellicent is running Will'o'Wisp, why don't put Surf instead of Scald?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Just as side note: If Jellicent is running Will'o'Wisp, why don't put Surf instead of Scald?

I prefer to run Scald alongside W-o-W, even. Jellicent doesn't need to hit hard, nor will it even with Surf. It's nicer to just catch random things like Rotom-W trying to take a weak attack with a burn than hit them for a small amount of extra damage. If there are any calcs out there that prove Surf is superior then show me, but I like the burn chance infinitely more than that little boost in power that is irrelevant anyway.

Back