• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics And Music Patch V2.0 [FINAL VERSION RELEASED]

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thanks!

About the exp bar, I'm working on it! It's much more complicated than adding a tile based on whether or not you've caught a Pokémon.

Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2014
Has anyone been getting an issue with VBA? It apparently says "Unsupported ARM mode 00". Anyone knows how to fix it? I desperately want to play this hack.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Weird. Can you tell me exactly what you're doing when this error comes up? Anyway, you shouldn't be using vba for gb/c games since vba is geared towards gba. For gb/c you should be using bgb.

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2016
Is the download link updated with the "pokeball" update? I just dled v1.2 and patched the ROM but the wild pokemon I've already caught don't have that pokeball showing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized that you didn't release the pokeball update yet. But, I would like to report that the patch seems to do something wacky with some pokemon cries. I'm fairly early in the game at the moment, but I have noticed a high-pitched static sound over the cries of Magikarp and Magnemite. I'm really hoping that doesn't carry over to Gyarados...

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Is the download link updated with the "pokeball" update? I just dled v1.2 and patched the ROM but the wild pokemon I've already caught don't have that pokeball showing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized that you didn't release the pokeball update yet.
Yes, that is correct. That feature will be in the next release.
I would like to report that the patch seems to do something wacky with some pokemon cries. I'm fairly early in the game at the moment, but I have noticed a high-pitched static sound over the cries of Magikarp and Magnemite. I'm really hoping that doesn't carry over to Gyarados...
I think you are mistaken. Try comparing those cries to the original Red and you will see they are unchanged.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2022
I can't seem to play the patch
tried with several Red ROMs, re-downloaded the patch, nothing.. It just keeps playing the original RED and I don't see any difference

(Tried GFX & Music 1.2, Poke'mon Red, Lunar ips patcher)
Other hacks worked fine on first try, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 26, 2014
i have been looking for something like this for the longest time, i really didnt like Pokemon brown but this look ike what i been looking for. Thanks alot!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I can't seem to play the patch
tried with several Red ROMs, re-downloaded the patch, nothing.. It just keeps playing the original RED and I don't see any difference

(Tried GFX & Music 1.2, Poke'mon Red, Lunar ips patcher)
Other hacks worked fine on first try, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong
Are you sure it is still the original Red? If your emulator is playing in black and white, it can be harder to notice the differences. PM me if you are still having problems.
i have been looking for something like this for the longest time, i really didnt like Pokemon brown but this look ike what i been looking for. Thanks alot!
Your welcome! I'm glad you like it!

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2022
Are you sure it is still the original Red? If your emulator is playing in black and white, it can be harder to notice the differences. PM me if you are still having problems.

Your welcome! I'm glad you like it!
It's VBA and I play various GBC/GBA with it, all at full color. Unless I'm missing an option to toggle when playing, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. My only idea of what might fix it is the fact the rom is Red.GB and not Red.GBC

However, if it were so, the ROM download from your thread @ Skeetendo gave me the same result

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Okay, the problem is that a Super Gameboy Game is different from a Colour Gameboy Game. VBA might be displaying GSC in full colour, but to get it to display RB in full colour you need to go to "Options->Gameboy->SGB" and this hack (as well as a regular Red ROM) should be displaying in colour.

You should also make sure that you have "Options->Gameboy->Real Colors" selected and not "Gameboy Colors".

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2022
Tried the SGB option (Real Colors was already checked) and it works, thanks!

And idea how to fix this on GBCoid? (I mostly play Romhacks on my phone)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'm glad vba is working for you.
I don't know about GBCoid. My guess is that it doesn't support SGB games.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2014
This is ammaaaaazzzziiiiinnnngggg. I'm pretty far in the game now, and there's no bugs or glitches. And most importantly, this is EXACTLY what I needed. Also it works with my patch that makes pokemon names lowercase, like Bulbasaur, instead of BULBASAUR. Now im playing the perfected version of pokemon red! =D

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
This is ammaaaaazzzziiiiinnnngggg. I'm pretty far in the game now, and there's no bugs or glitches. And most importantly, this is EXACTLY what I needed. Also it works with my patch that makes pokemon names lowercase, like Bulbasaur, instead of BULBASAUR. Now im playing the perfected version of pokemon red! =D
Thanks! I'm glad you like it! And actually there is one bug. When a Pokémon uses Transform, the Pokémon's palette gets messed up. I really ought to get around to fixing that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 15, 2014
Sweet i was looking for something like this. I also saw Drenns pokemon red full color hack on skeetendo and was wondering whats the difference between this one and his. Anyway im gonna give this one a shot, hope it works on gbc.emu on my android phone

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Thanxx for making this, i always wanted to play something like this.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Sweet i was looking for something like this. I also saw Drenns pokemon red full color hack on skeetendo and was wondering whats the difference between this one and his. Anyway im gonna give this one a shot, hope it works on gbc.emu on my android phone
Well, you may notice that Drenn has two versions posted.
The "vanilla color hack" is the original Pokémon Red, with full colour. So the tiles are fully coloured like in GSC. In the vanilla hack, all the graphics are unchanged.

The other version is the "Color Hack + Gen 2 Graphics Patch". This is like the vanilla hack, except he also included my graphics patch that gives the game two big improvements which are GSC sprites and trainer colours. (as well as several other features)

You could probably guess that THIS hack only gives the game GSC sprites and colours the trainers, but doesn't give full colour to the overworld tiles.
Thanxx for making this, i always wanted to play something like this.
Great, I'm glad this hack is going to good use!!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Just uploaded V1.3. This update mostly features:
The Pokéball tile that is in GSC that is displayed when you already own the enemy Pokémon
A bug fix for the Transform palette bug problem
Ten additional GSC songs.

Right now, the SGB border does not work. I may get around to fixing this soon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2020
will this work with the pokemon brown 2014 hack?
thanks

edit: okay, I just tried it and it doesn't work..

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2014
Hi, is there any way of applying this patch to Pokemon Yellow? I'd love to play it!

Back