• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

JEPE - Game Engine

FMY

Years
Ok, as the second founding member and lead programmer of JEPE, I decided to answer some questions too.

Er.. couldn't you just release a JAR file for other platforms? Java doesn't need to be recompiled. I'm also wondering what you'll use to distribute. We're using Java Web Start for now.
I don't really know why Bonzai's saying we've got compiling problems, I can't recall having them once. I did compile one demo for java 1.6 once, instead of 1.5, but that's about the biggest compiling problem I've ever got. We haven't made any jars for now, but simple bash scripts to start the game. In the future, executables for windows and jars for other platforms will be available, though I don't know if we'll be using Java Web Start since linux's got problems with that.

Also, you should be able to implement a resizable game (and I don't mean doubling up your pixels) if you're using Swing/AWT. Just make your interface elements reposition when the window resizes. I'm not sure how you're implementing scrolling maps, so I can't comment on it. We have offsets that are added to the map X and Y; they're added and subtracted along with the player position.
True, but we don't want that to happen. Currently you can specify the window width & height when starting the game however,

We're using the Tiled mapping format, which is XML-wrapped, but uses Base64 for tile data. Nice and space-efficient. It also has an existing map editor, which is a definite plus, as well as the ability to export back into pure XML if needed.
Now this is something interesting. I wish I'd heard of this before. I'd like to use this format too, but I don't think it's worth the effort. After all, there's still a lot missing in the editor, using this format would mean a big rewrite of the engine and some change to the format to add things like our actionTiles.

As for why we're using XML: listen to Bonzai. The first version used 2-dimensional arrays, but that's not something you can write by hand easily, so I thought XML would be better.

@Zerro: great! Thanks man. The best way to help us is to help us with writing the engine, or to submit ideas for file formats to manage the pokémon data, item data, move data and ability data. I'm currently working on finishing the mapping language now, so other people can start mapping, write editors and help me with the parser. If you'd like to write the specs for another file format, it would be nice to do it in a similar way. Unfinished documents can be found here: h ttp://jepe.ptreasures.net/documents/ (remove the space)

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Well in all fairness I don't really consider what he did gravedigging... He's a founder of the project answering some questions...

FMY

Years
I checked the last post's date and didn't think Januari 8th was very old, so I thought it was be OK to reply to the thread. I'm really sorry if I did something wrong.

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
I thought I'd just mention a few little updates that will be available soon:
Battle-overworld.png

Battle: Currently migrating from a static test to dynamic variables, so that instead of always playing as Sputteren against Maudi, you choose a starter and fights are triggered on the overworld.

Cutscenes: It will be possible to program cutscenes, game intros and similar movies all in XML. The next dmo will have a small intro.

Flickers: The game tended to flicker on slower processors, but that's been rectified now, and the game runs much smoother.

There will most likely be some other stuff before the next demo, depending on programming time; NPCs, actionObjects(houses, signs), and water are next on the list.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Change the text colour in the data boxes to black.
And what did you do to Rattata? T_T

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
Thought I'd replied to this :/ Oh well.
The text will be changed as I migrate it to dynamic variables. Getting it coded was more important :) It'l also get put in the right place >.>
And that's not Rattata (the text is based on a text-only predecessor to this). It's Maudi, which has slightly lower attack but higher speed.

Back