• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Noragami

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
No, it isn't that having character flaws is bad. But I felt the annoying version of him lasted too long, that is all. It was fine at first but after the third episode of him being an ass, I was pretty damn annoyed with him. And Yato and Hiyorin being so damn forgiving after all the ♥♥♥♥ that happened made him seem like a bigger butt-hole. Sure, the manga does a pretty good job of showcasing the VAST level of difference in annoying yukine and loyal one but the anime won't be covering a large part of it.

Years
Yeah I read the manga, so that kinda redeemed him to an extent. But still it did take way too long for the character development to happen. Still finding out what Yato has been doing all this time behind everyones back in order to keep on living made him a lot more sinister. xP

derozio

Years
Made who sinister, Yato, is it? I guess yeahh. I need to read more since I'm not up to date but Yato isn't the snow white angel (his thing with bisha doesn't count tho) I thought he was. :p

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I thought that Nora girl was just someone to spice up the series, then bam that reveal.

Oh gosh. Should I prepare for what is to come? //hasn't read manga yet//

I'm planning on reading it after the anime ends! I wonder how they're different especially since that Rabo guy is anime-only right?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Netto Azure said:
"I Have Seen Cities Destroyed In Half An Episode I Have Seen Entire Races Been Wiped Out In 4 Seconds But It Took An Entire freaking 9 Episodes To Straighten Out One Freaking Kid" - Episode 9
Haha! Though to be fair, Yukine started getting corrupted near the beginning of episode 5, as Nora triggered his insecurities.

Dante said:
Made who sinister, Yato, is it? I guess yeahh. I need to read more since I'm not up to date but Yato isn't the snow white angel (his thing with bisha doesn't count tho) I thought he was. :p
Dudeee! It gets darker. Goofball with a dark past, like Gintama, yes? :')

Oh gosh. Should I prepare for what is to come? //hasn't read manga yet//

I'm planning on reading it after the anime ends! I wonder how they're different especially since that Rabo guy is anime-only right?
You definitely should read the manga after the anime ends, or you can start today, since Rabo's story is indeed anime-only. The manga's author designed Rabo, who is said to be a god of calamity, but I feel the original Noragami story is heaps better.

The anime has been quite faithful to the manga, where the first episode was sped up (i.e. episode 1 cut out where in the manga, Yato met the bullied school girl who gave him the 5 Yen. His slaying of the Phantom didn't fix the girl's problem and he didn't really care, and Tomone quit because Yato can be cruel, not just because he's homeless, as the anime portrayed). The episode with the man falling off the building is actually an extras/specials chapter; it was likely animated to develop Kofuku's character as a goddess of poverty. They also sped up Nora's appearance.

Chapter 12 = Episode 10 then.

Such a sad day when it only had 12 episodes to work with. Noragami anime's supervisor reveals why the anime didn't include the Bishanmon arc, chapters 13-24:
"He says Noragami is a work he really likes, and for Bishanmon's arc it would be at least more than 10 episodes, and if they skimmed over the details in Yukine's arc the later stories will be hard to understand, so they decided to not do the Bishanmon arc for now and use the anime original ending, which was improvised by the mangakas as well."

Years
Yeah this is another series that is based upon long ass dialogue character development that doesn't translate well for short cour anime adaptations.

Manga is pretty good so far. Heck there hasn't been an antagonist thats ~evil~ until recently.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Well, that's how he was written =D
If he was always obedient, it wouldn't be that good =D

I felt that they could use it as a mini arc instead of portraying it throughout into most of a 12 episode series.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
The anime has been quite faithful to the manga, where the first episode was sped up (i.e. episode 1 cut out where in the manga, Yato met the bullied school girl who gave him the 5 Yen. His slaying of the Phantom didn't fix the girl's problem and he didn't really care, and Tomone quit because Yato can be cruel, not just because he's homeless, as the anime portrayed). The episode with the man falling off the building is actually an extras/specials chapter; it was likely animated to develop Kofuku's character as a goddess of poverty. They also sped up Nora's appearance.

Is the only major difference the one from chapter 1? Can I just read that and then skip to a later chapter or is it worth reading the manga even if I've already watched the anime? :o

I felt that they could use it as a mini arc instead of portraying it throughout into most of a 12 episode series.

As much as I hated Yukine, I think it was fine to leave his arc as part of the main storyline because it caused character development in the entire trio and not just Yukine.

derozio

Years
I personally just started from where the anime left off. :p I honestly believe there shouldn't be major differences as I didn't feel I had any kind of context missing.

Also, I got spoiled on (Manga chapter 37 spoiler)Yato's dad's identity while stalking netto and blade. u guys suck D:

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Also, I got spoiled on (Manga chapter 37 spoiler)Yato's dad's identity while stalking netto and blade. u guys suck D:

That's why there's a spoiler tag. Not our fault you clicked it.

Still that fact just automatically shot up this series for something I have to keep an eye on.

Last edited by a moderator:

derozio

Years
I'm not really blaming you. I thought it was obvious from 'u guys suck'. Sheesh netto, you need to not take everything anyone says so seriously. :/

Anyway, I realy don't get why this wasn't planned to be a two cour series to begin with? If the one responsible for the anime really likes it that much and is aware of the fact that 12 episodes won't do it proper justice, why not just go for two cour? Money problems is what I think it is. And maybe the risk factor. Anyone aware of how well this series is doing in its dvd/bd volumes?

TwilightBlade

Years
Is the only major difference the one from chapter 1? Can I just read that and then skip to a later chapter or is it worth reading the manga even if I've already watched the anime? :o

As much as I hated Yukine, I think it was fine to leave his arc as part of the main storyline because it caused character development in the entire trio and not just Yukine.
Yeah, pretty much. The manga is more detailed, but the anime didn't skip anything important. Yukine is more of a jerk in the manga than the anime. Yato took on a few more miscellaneous jobs and behind his back, Yukine tried getting a little more money from the person. Yukine also stole Hiyori's allowance money. I think he stole a watch and a PSP, too. If you can tolerate an even brattier Yukine, reread the manga if you have the spare time... XD;

Otherwise, pick up with chapter 12. Oh, the anime producers sped up where Bishamon visits Kofuku, and Hiyori/Yukine were hiding under the table, so that will be one scene in chapter 13. I can't think of any more major differences besides the ones I've described.

I personally just started from where the anime left off. :p I honestly believe there shouldn't be major differences as I didn't feel I had any kind of context missing.

That's what you get for stalking my wall again!

OMG Episode 11!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years

Ok! I read it all today :3 It was awesome and it was definitely different than the anime. I honestly really wished that they had waited to animate this, because there are so many great moments that aren't going to be animated ;~; I watched Episode 11 and it was still good though! I'm glad that so far they haven't butchered the series as much as they did for some others /cough/ soul eater.

Also, how old is Hiyori in the anime? In the anime she starts high school but I had already assumed she was in high school anyway, whoops ;~; I guess if she's a 3rd year middle school then she technically is high school age in the US, but still.

Spoiler:

TwilightBlade

Years
Hiyori is 15 and becomes a high school freshman in chapter 25, animated in the OVA, which takes place in the future. She's supposed to still be in the last year of middle school during the anime's story, hence why she is giving Yukine her old textbooks in episodes 10/11. Her two friends in the anime also told her to practice for her entrance exams.

Spoiler:

Years
Yato is way too smooth. If only he was that good when interacting normally.

Spoiler:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Hiyori is 15 and becomes a high school freshman in chapter 25, animated in the OVA, which takes place in the future. She's supposed to still be in the last year of middle school during the anime's story, hence why she is giving Yukine her old textbooks in episodes 10/11. Her two friends in the anime also told her to practice for her entrance exams.

Spoiler:

Oh, thank you so much. I hadn't made that connection and that makes sense now because I was really confused haha.

I really really want to know more about Yato's past now. ~_~ Stupid teasers ;~;

TwilightBlade

Years
No problem. I read a lot of Tumblr posts haha.

Smooth operator he is. He's somewhere between 200 and 1200 years old. I'm sure he has said centuries before, so at least 200. According to the wiki, Yato (夜ト) means night (夜) and the katakana syllable 'to' (ト). This most likely means stopped night, as the character 'to' (ト) is an adaptation from the word stop (止) during the heian period of Japan. This may be a possible reference that Yato is 1200 years of age or younger.

The anime original ending is kind of conflicting with his past with what I remember from the manga. Why did his fighting with Rabo cause a sudden storm of phantoms? I didn't think he could summon phantoms like that. Yato fights all of the time lol.

Back