• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[general question] "Fly" HM as Item?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 30, 2022
Not sure if this is the right category; could be scripting question. But lets move on.

So for my fangame I want to make I was wondering, I would put HMs as Key Items - and I already know how to do the basics of that ("Cut" is now a "Saw" key item but i havent figured out the rest yet - but I'm not worried about that yet). What I am worrying about is this: What sort of substitute "Key Item" could "Fly" work as, and how? The placeholder I have now is something I'd call an "Unlimited Boarding Pass", which implies that the player uses a small private jet to get around the region, but I'm not sure.

What else could work?

Years
Teleport machine/Power? It's hard to came up with a substitute for Fly that can make sense. The teleport idea would be more like "I know this place(checkpoints/city) pretty well so I can teleport back to them" considering the players to be exploring cities more than routes.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
there was one game i remember playing that did this too, mightve been zeta/omicron. and it used a jet pack or something, though that mightve been for waterfall climbing. but a jetpack or helipack should work

megaman d

novice scripter
Years
something like that glider from zelda? that would be cool and something that a kid could actually use (link did)

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
How about a Poké Ride call for a Charizard/Pidgeot? You can do the same thing for Surf and even the others HMs.

Alexherobrine45

MOFPC - Master Of Fake Pokémon Creation
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 26, 2018
How about a Poké Ride call for a Charizard/Pidgeot? You can do the same thing for Surf and even the others HMs.

Literally what Gen 7 did sounds cool, but if that doesn't work, just go with the whimsical and do somethimg like Hermes's Boots. This item should only really matter if you otherwise don't have access to HMs, such as Zeta/Omicron and Insurgence's Solorun mode, anyway, so be as hilarious as you want! Zeta/Omicron literally give the player a freakin' Stargate for one of its HMs. You know, the giant ring thing used to teleport between planets using a six or seven-chevron code? That thing. The player carries a Stargate around from exiting the Escape Route cave to the end of the game/ending the Solorun. So who cares?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 27, 2023
I also agree with just using Gen 7 method of Poke Ride. Since that seems to be the most logical, lore wise. And it sticks to the original games as a bonus. If that can't work, I'm going to say that replacing HMs with key items is the more important part rather than what they are called or how they work. And from what you said, it looks like you're already doing a marvelous job!

Back