• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Mediocre Pokémon

DEWGgaming

Newest Legend
Years
Let's all be honest: there are some Pokémon out there that are less than thrilling. Be it a merely mild Pokédex entry or a "meh" design, Nintendo and GameFreak sorta lost interest in some of their additions to the Pokémon World. List your best of the worst of the best below.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A "WORST POKÉMON EVER" THREAD, THIS IS FOR "JUST OK" POKÉMON

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Roggenrola and Bergmite, I think, are mediocre. They both exist for type balance, but are pretty bland in their own ways.

Years
I think a number of single-type Pokemon can fall into this category- they aren't bad per se, but there's nothing special about them. Basculin, Seaking, and Lumineon are some of the first ones that come to mind, and that's just from the Water type.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Paras/Parasect for me. Slow and very weak for a Bug/Grass Type who despite having the Bug Typing is weak to Bug type moves(and doubly weak to Fire and Flying but who'd have it out in that situation). Furthermore it's basically a Mushroom, hence as bland as Voltorb/Electrode in design.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 3, 2019
(Judging these on much more on design and concept rather than battle utility.)

Definitely agree with a lot mentioned above. For me, the most mediocre tend to be the ones that seem completely redundant and pointless. Gen III and especially Gen V had the most of these, IMO - I'd say that had a lot to with how much less previous Gen mons both featured in their main games, so they had to fill a lot of niches that earlier generations had already done.

IMO, the worst offenders are:

The Roggenrolla line: Something about its design just seems so uninspired and unmemorable. Just blue-black rocks in weird shapes, existing for no reason other than the game needing something Geodude-esque to populate caves. (Woobat mostly avoids this, thanks to its typing and interesting design).

Sawk and Throh: They're basically Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan, but instead of the latter's unique designs, we got two Sesame Street characters in karate outfits.

Basculin: I can just imagine how the design meeting for this one went:

"Okay, we need some sort of fish players can catch with the rods, but we can't use any of the roughly two-hundred or so fish pokemon that already exists. How can we make this one fresh and new?"

"What if there are two types, which look slightly different from each other if you look at them really closely?"

"Yeah, that'll do."

Venemoth: Probably wouldn't have considered it if someone hadn't mentioned it up above, but it has always struck me as pretty superfluous when you already have Butterfree and Beedrill. Venonat is fine, but Venemoth is just boring. I tend to forget it even exists.

The Beautifly and Dustox lines: Venemoth may have been a bit redundant, but both of these lines have always seemed utterly pointless to me.

Plusle and Minun: They're Pikachu, but without any of the latter's battle utility, unless you happen to be taking part in one of Ruby and Sapphire's ten or so double battles.

(I had much the same opinion of the Walrein line when I first played Ruby and Sapphire, but the designs have grown on me in the years since, and I actually rather prefer them to the comparatively boring Seal and Dugong)

Alamalora, or however the heck you spell it: Was going to put Luvdisc here first, but, while it is pretty useless, it is at least a fairly unique concept. Alomalora would have been fine were it an evolution of Luvdisc, with some beefed up stats, but as is, its basically just Luvdisc with a slightly different design, and I've never quite been able to fathom why it exists.

Bouffalant: It's Tauros, but with an afro. Okay, then. Again, as an evolution of Tauros, it would have been a worthy addition (though the general concept behind it still baffles me a little.) But as a single stage Pokemon, it just feels like yet another example of B&W filling niches that didn't need to be filled, due to the ban on Pokemon from earlier generations.

I quite like the Bergmite line, actually - something about their designs is really aesthetically appealing, IMO.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Seel is one that immediately comes to mind. I quite like the Pokemon overall but the design and name are very...uninspiring.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Guzzlord.

While I love it's design and concept, the execution is a massive letdown in terms of stat distribution.

1. It is very fragile. That massive HP stat doesn't mean jack if it can't take even resisted hits well. Regardless of EV investment in it's bulk, it won't be as bulky as you'd like it to be.
2. Offensive stats are lower than nearly the rest of the entire Ultra Beasts. It's hilarious that Snorlax has naturally higher attack than a destructive alien dragon.
3. Lack of reliable recovery. Drain Punch doesn't count, as Guzzlord would hardly find the opportunity to use it.
4. With all these flaws, even if there's a logical explanation for it's scarcity in Ultra Space, it isn't worth the hassle of being the most difficult Ultra Beast to find in USUM.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Lucario. Calling it "mediocre" is actually a compliment, all thing considered.

I admire your courage in going against popular opinions.

I can't say I agree, battle wise, but it's nice to see someone unafraid to state they don't care for a fan favorite Pokemon.

pkmin3033

I admire your courage in going against popular opinions.

I can't say I agree, battle wise, but it's nice to see someone unafraid to state they don't care for a fan favorite Pokemon.
I wasn't thinking battle wise; I don't play competitively and I've not kept up with it...although I do remember Gliscor wrecking Lucario 90% of the time in Gen IV.

Lucario's mediocrity lies in the company it keeps. This is a Pokemon that is constantly brought up in the anime in a central role, which is something you could forgive to an extent in Gen IV, but Cameron having one in Gen V, and Korrina in Gen VI - the former of which beat Pikachu, and the latter having a ridiculous amount of time devoted to it - just feels like flogging a dead horse. There were better candidates for the role it took in both. There is a distinct tendency to focus on Pokemon of the current generation in the anime...so why bring back Lucario? Yes, because it's popular, but apart from that there is NOTHING special about it.

In the early days it was given its own movie, for crying out loud! This was a privelege reserved for Legendary Pokemon only up to that point. Lucario just cannot compare with Legendaries, in any terms. Yes, Mew was in that movie as well, but the movie was about Lucario, a normal Pokemon that had to be inflated with its own version of the Force - Aura being a concept that was never properly explored, might I add - to play a role that was still far too big for it. You can say the same of Zoroark I suppose, but Zoroark hasn't been constantly dragged up through subsequent gens the way Lucario has.

It also has the worst design of any Pokemon - I despise furry bait - but this isn't a worst Pokemon thread, so that's neither here nor there.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Then I agree more with you. To me, its only saving grace is its battle prowess. Otherwise it's definitely one of the worst ever created, for a number of reasons.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 28, 2023
Sunflora. Its sunflower head and smiley face is nice but its predominantly green and rounded body along with bland arms and legs makes its overall design dull; as for battle prowess...everything Sunflora can do, 99.9% of the Grass-type population can do better.

Last edited:

NergyTheMighty

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please?
Years
Sunflora. Its sunflower head and smiley face is nice but its predominantly green and rounded body along with bland arms and legs makes its overall design dull; as for battle prowess...everything Sunflora can do, 99.9% of the Grass-type population can do better.

That last 10% had better be Meganium, right? :t154: Hehehe...

But anyway, my opinion on the matter is Stantler. To be frank, a lot of the Pokemon introduced in the series that end up to be of a deer-esque species turn out to be mediocre in the end (one huge exception is Xerneas, but I digress), but Stantler is just something else. Despite it having psychic powers as the Dex says it has, such as its hypnotic horns (whose pearls look strikingly similar to Grumpig's, in my opinion), it is only of the Normal type, and has nothing to show for itself even then. Change of typing, better learnset, even a tiny boost in stats, anything, could improve this Pokemon, but alas: it remains a useless deer carcass as the day draws to a close.
234.gif

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back