• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
So it has been confirmed through E3 that Sylveon, along with Gardevoir, Marill and Jigglypuff, are going to be classified as the new Fairy Type. It is supposedly Super Effective against Dragon types.

How do you think this will affect competitive balance in-game and online? Does it balance the game or make it worse?

How do you feel about such a late type addition? Was it needed? Do you personally feel it was necessary, or was the game fine as it was?

Do you like the name "Fairy" or is it too similar to the egg group "Fairy"? Should the type have been named something else i.e. Light? (Light vs. Dark)

What weaknesses do you think Fairy has, and what will it be strong against? Evidence suggests that it'll be strong to Ice as well as Dragon, but weak to Poison and Steel. Do you agree with this?

What other Pokemon need to be reclassified, in your opinion, to Fairy Type?

I'm hoping they add Clefairy to the Fairy Type classification. It just makes sense lol Snubull as well.

It's also nice to see that they're considering the abundance of Dragon Type Pokemon in competitive play (and just in general). Having only two weaknesses was quite limiting for end-game teams IMO so having a choice of Fairy, too (which may or may not have better powers / weaknesses aside Dragon) is nice.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I'm pretty happy with this! I'm hoping more Pokemon will be given the Fairy type such as Clefairy, Chimecho etc.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I'm annoyed that it's called FAIRY and not LIGHT, but anything that makes Poison and Steel types more powerful, and Dragon types less common I'm all for. I'm sure I'll be used to this eventually, but at the moment I can't help but to feel annoyed about the official name for the type.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I knew it. There was just too much evidence to support it. Interesting to see Marril gaining Fairy typing. Its also apparant that they really are trying to nerf dragons. Hopefully the weakness to poison holds true as well, as poison types need a boost.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
So it has been confirmed through E3 that Sylveon, along with Gardevoir, Marill and Jigglypuff, are going to be classified as the new Fairy Type. It is supposedly Super Effective against Dragon types.

How do you think this will affect competitive balance in-game and online? Does it balance the game or make it worse?

How do you feel about such a late type addition? Was it needed? Do you personally feel it was necessary, or was the game fine as it was?

Do you like the name "Fairy" or is it too similar to the egg group "Fairy"? Should the type have been named something else i.e. Light? (Light vs. Dark)

What weaknesses do you think Fairy has, and what will it be strong against? Evidence suggests that it'll be strong to Ice as well as Dragon, but weak to Poison and Steel. Do you agree with this?

What other Pokemon need to be reclassified, in your opinion, to Fairy Type?

I'm hoping they add Clefairy to the Fairy Type classification. It just makes sense lol Snubull as well.

It's also nice to see that they're considering the abundance of Dragon Type Pokemon in competitive play (and just in general). Having only two weaknesses was quite limiting for end-game teams IMO so having a choice of Fairy, too (which may or may not have better powers / weaknesses aside Dragon) is nice.

All I know its screws my Chomp something fierce. I hope Chansey gets up in this class tho. Depending on who the weakness are . Now theres the risk of an 8X weakness

Years
This is gonna make things confusing... Well I'm glad I have more choices than Ice, Dragon, and Steel for Dragon counters... lol I guess Dragon was getting a bit overpowered (like Gen 1 Psychic, hence Dark and Steel)...

I wonder if it will resist Dragon, like Steel does, or only be super effective like Ice... It'd be nice to have something that resists Dragon, AND is also super effective.

Years
God I hate the idea of fairy as a type... I feel as though it is going to really mess with my head learning a new type.

I am glad that poison is getting a boost, but what were thinking making ice weak to it? Now we'll need ANOTHER new type to balance ice out >.>

Suffice to say I think this is the worst decision they have made yet, I'm just hoping all the good things about X and Y balance this out.

Years
Call me a purist but I would have hoped that they'd leave the types alone, but then again, Dragon needs to be knocked down a peg. Only problem is, I don't see anything from that list that can be a threat competitively. But that's all out the window now, I guess. :/

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'm absolutely okay with this. Of all the new type theories and speculations that have been going on for so long, I was on board with the "Fairy-type" the most. It's going to take some getting used to, especially with some of the older Pokémon changing, but I like the addition of having a new type and what it means for competitive play and battling in general.

It will certainty make things all the more interesting. I just wonder how strong of a type it will be compared to the others. It's nice that Poison if getting a boost though since it's one that needs it the most.

Years
I'm still not a fan about this but after watching the trailer and thinking on it a bit I am slightly more okay with fairy. I just wished they had left the older pokemon alone (okay clearly cleffairy will be changed which makes sense).

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
I personally don't like it. I'm not entirely sure why, but it bugs me.
I don't like the name, and how's a fairy gonna do damage to a dragon?
That's just me though...

latioslegends

What worries you masters you
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 4, 2019
I'm all for a new type and all, especially one that helps out balance the more competitive pokemon like Salamence, Latios, and Garchomp, but must it be called fairy?

It seemed most predictions would've had it coined as a light type. Probably would've suited the opposite dark type very well. >_>

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I think people are thinking of delicate fairies and monstrous dragons when it comes to types.

IMO the advantage / disadvantage is just a mythical thing. Both are mythical creatures in legend and lore. It doesn't go any further than the idea that a mythical creature would be strong against another mythical creature. Also supports Dragon Type being SE against Fairy, but we'll see.

A bit off-topic, but it's a bit like in South Park where only an immortal can kill another immortal i.e. Kenny vs. Chtulu God.

Years
Love this will def see an increase in some old favorites if they're retyped fairy like blissey, clefairy, togepi, and audino.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Sooooooooo disappointed. Fairy is such a effeminate name and should have been called Lunar or Magic type.

Having it be a Dragon type check is stupid and make the game feel very 'kiddy'. 'Oh look, the magical fairies defeat the ferocious dragon.' Eat me GF, somehow you're making worse design decisions than the gen 5 games did.

I'm not against having a dragon type check at all, (Ice doesn't count as 90% of dragon-type pokemon can learn fire type moves) but choosing the fairy type was a laughable decision because it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Statswise, Im not sure where it stands. I feel it will act like Bug types with a low overall stat compared to other types. The new type name is annoying but it was inevitable. The name strikes me as odd and if a guy/boy likes the type like how I like Dark-types...lets just not imagine what others would react to that.

Back