• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever tried to cheat in any of the games before?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Personally, I have never in a main series game… because I have no fucking clue where to find any kind of cheating device. Or how to perform cheats with it. And I'm frankly surprised not many others feel the same way I do.

And when I 'cheat' in ROM hacks it's usually to go past a design flaw or to ease up on grinding. The latter is a rare case, though.

Abusing glitches also counts, and for me, none so far. Most of the glitches in the main series games I'd probably have to look up in order to find out about them.

So your thoughts?

pkmin3033

Tried and succeeded, I have an Action Replay. I used it mainly in the Gen IV games to get access to event Legendaries. I figured that if they're not going to give me Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus, I'll get them myself, although I did get the former two events when they were available for distribution. I also used it in HGSS to re-do the Sinjoh Ruins event over and over for the Level 1 Creation Trio, as well as to get the GB sounds from the beginning...because really, that should NOT have been a postgame item. I only used it once in B2W2 to unlock Challenge Mode; gating that off behind completion when there is only one save file was a stupid thing to do as well.

But at the time I didn't really think of it as cheating, and to some extent I still don't, because these things should have been available in the game without needing to resort to using the device in the first place. It's my game, and I should be able to play the way I want to, and access all the content on it without waiting for Game Freak/Nintendo to give me a very limited window of opportunity to do so.

I used the Rare Candy/Missingno glitch in Red once I learned of it though. I'd consider that cheating. xD

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I attempted to enter an EXP cheat to help grind for the Battle Frontier in Emerald.

It worked, but found a bad egg in my box later.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Used the Missingno glitch back in Generation 1. Hacked in some Pokemon as part of a challenge recently. Thinks of no instances beyond those.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Besides the occasional hacking of Pokemon in for a challenge, not really nowadays.

Back in the day I did my fair share of stuff like that when I was a dumb kid that could barely understand what was going on.

A vivid memory was me trying to get a duplication glitch in Diamond and accidentally losing my one good Pokemon in the process.

Years
Apart from me investigating this 'MissingNo' thing I had heard about when I was a kid, back in gen 1, no.
And even then all I did was encounter one and try to catch it. Did nothing beyond that, nor even know at the time what you could actually do with it.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Long ago, I used an Action Replay code in generation five to unlock hidden abilities for the starter Pokémon, allowing me to enjoy my play-through with a Contrary Snivy line. I deactivated the cheats when I played competitively and/or finished my play-through and transferred my Serperior to Pokémon Bank and eventually Pokémon HOME. I also used the Action Replay to enable a code that simulated the Exp. Share feature to shorten the grind. I never used any cheats to give myself an unfair advantage though, but rather to enhance the experience of my own personal play-through. Other than that, I never cheated in a Pokémon game. The newer games are doing everything in their power to make Pokémon less of a grind and give you the chance to easily obtain hidden abilities. Oh, if abusing glitches count as cheating, then yes, in the generation I games, I abused the Missingno glitch to clone Rare Candies. To be fair, literally everybody did, so I wasn't alone. Recently, I also take advantage of the shiny Ditto glitch in the Virtual Console to ensure that I always catch a shiny Ditto before transferring it to Pokémon Bank and eventually to Pokémon HOME. I've also used the box trick glitch in the Virtual Console to clone the shiny Dittos that I caught to increase my chances of transferring said shiny Ditto to a newer game with perfect IVs.

Years
Never on an actual real copy of the game on an official console but I did once about a decade ago on an Emulator when I used a code to make every wild Pokemon shiny for a replay of Black. I thought it would be fun to go through a game where every Pokemon is shiny but it got boring quickly, I don't think I ever even got the second Gym Badge on that playthrough.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I have a habit of using actionreply on my DS title games and never had enough full restore when needed or lots of masterballs.. haha it's just me

Years
Yes. I did the MissingNo. glitch a ton way back in the RBY days, but my main cheating era was during DPPt. I got a GameShark and abused the heck out of it to complete the dex. If I didn't start the save file over I'd still have that lv. 4 Arceus lying around lol. Wasn't possible for me to complete most/all of the dex myself since I didn't have a reliable WiFi connection.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Never tried in console playthroughs because I thought getting the devices wasn't worth the trouble.

I use certain cheats when playing on emulator, depending on the game, mostly to fix what I consider flawed game mechanics that are only there to waste players' time. As a rule of thumb, I don't use cheats to win battles, or obtain anything that I couldn't obtain legally at that point, only for things that could be done but only add tedium and grinding.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
A bunch of times, lmao. On console and emulator. I was like 8 when I got a game shark, you bet your ass I broke everything I possibly could. It was fun!

Years
Lol almost all games. I had an Action replay for gen 4 and the gen 5 games. I remember buying one that worked with 3ds too but there were no cheats for Pokemon X. I remember then getting the modded 3ds to have cheats on gen 6 and gen 7 games. I stopped there lol.

I used them for the usual reasons: infinite masterballs, rare candies, legendary and mythical Pokémon. I have to say that I used those cheats always after finishing the main story though.

Years
Lol almost all games. I had an Action replay for gen 4 and the gen 5 games. I remember buying one that worked with 3ds too but there were no cheats for Pokemon X. I remember then getting the modded 3ds to have cheats on gen 6 and gen 7 games. I stopped there lol.

I used them for the usual reasons: infinite masterballs, rare candies, legendary and mythical Pokémon. I have to say that I used those cheats always after finishing the main story though.

Wow, that's a lot of cheats experience lol. I'm guessing you didn't try going online on your DS/3DS in case the system would notice & flag anything you have?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
If the cloning glitch counts, I guess so.

If using Wonder Mail generator to bring in custom wonder mail to be able to get items you otherwise shouldn't be able to in Mystery Dungeon, then I guess so.

But, if you mean action replay? Never, in a million years. I'm too much of a good boy to even consider the idea.

Years
If using Wonder Mail generator to bring in custom wonder mail to be able to get items you otherwise shouldn't be able to in Mystery Dungeon, then I guess so.

Lol yeah, I have done this too hehe.

Wow, that's a lot of cheats experience lol. I'm guessing you didn't try going online on your DS/3DS in case the system would notice & flag anything you have?

Well, yes. Until gen 6 Internet wasn't a thing here. Well, I had the router but it was like winning the lottery to make it work on the gen 5 games. Gen 4 ones, almost no chances at all lol.
But I remember that there was an application on the smartphone that allowed you to create hacked Pokémon and then send to your game with GTS. As I said, it required much luck to make it work lol.
About gen 6 games, I have never used cheats on it tbh, because I didn't really need it there.
Gen 7, not for Pokemon, but to get luxury balls for living dex and money to afford the Lurantis dress (which wasn't even that good imo).

The fact is that I mainly used cheats to avoid doing stuff out of laziness, rather than helping me with something. Well, actually the Wonder Mail thing helped me with Darkrai, despite already having used cheats to get my team to level 100 lol.
On Red Team, I used no cheats though, but I didn't continue after Rayquaza. Even if I would, it takes much time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I've never had an Action Replay and don't trust myself enough to use one. xD

I made heavy use of the MissingNo. glitch and the Mew glitch in gen 1 when I learnt of their existance. I also once got a shiny Ditto by trading the shiny Gyarados into gen 1 and then catching a Ditto that had transformed into it.

In gen 2 I did a bunch of cloning. Though, since Gold had all my progress I mainly used Crystal for that purpose. Still don't get why people say that this exploit was fixed in Crystal given how often I managed to pull it off.
I once tried a glitch to obtain Celebi but to no avail...

Lastly, In gen 6 there was this exploit that allowed you to inject any Pokemon you wanted into the game. That was how I got an AZ Floette. I can't believe GF still doesn't consider giving one out...

Years
100%.

I remember using both Gold and Emerald for cloning glitches, and you could duplicate items that way as well. Never had any cheating devices or anything like that, but on emulators all I would use were walk through walls cheats anyway, just for the novelty of it.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
There are 2 types of people who have played Emerald for an extensive amount of time:
- Those that performed the cloning glitch
- Those that are lying

Back