• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Trio-Species Challenge (Revived)

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
BIG update from my last post. I have done a lot of stuff, but after you get Fly, things go quicker in terms of plot, not to mention that the speed button helps ^_^. Spoiler tags for the details!

Spoiler:

Team Wes:

Spr_1y_068.png

Biff (Machamp) - L51
Moves: Rock Slide, Earthquake, Low Kick, Mega Punch

Spr_1y_130.png

Fangor (Gyarados) - L53
Moves: Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Ice Beam, Surf

Spr_1y_094.png

Royal (Gengar) - L53
Moves: Thunderbolt, Confuse Ray, Night Shade, Psychic
Spr_1y_004.png

Slasher (Charmander) - L10
Moves: Strength, Growl, Ember, Cut
Spr_1y_016.png

WrightBros (Pidgey) - L15
Moves: Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack, Fly

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
Game: Crystal(PlayR)(I decided to do a new trio species)
Pokémon: :t160:, :t176: and :t210:

First Update:
Spoiler:

Team so far:

:t158: Totodile :t158:
Level 10
~Scratch
~Leer
~Rage

Last edited:

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Well, I've decided to do a Ruby run of this challenge, especially since nobody's really doing one. For this challenge, I will be using a team of Swampert, Gardevoir, and Swellow.

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Update #4

-Ran back to Pallet Town via Diglett's Cave (Sure, I could fly, but that'd mean catching another HM slave)
-Surfed to Cinnabar Island
-Max Repel'd through the Mansion, got the Secret Key
-Wisdom swept through the gym with Surf
Team:
Courage/Flareon Lv.43
-Dig
-Shadow Ball
-Bite
-Iron Tail
Power/Machoke Lv.41
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Focus Energy
-Submission
Wisdom/Tentacruel Lv.42
-Ice Beam
-Barrier
-Surf
-Acid

-Did the Sevii Islands sidequest (Nearly wiped vs the Biker leader...f***ing Minimize+Acid Armor Muk.)
-Headed back to Viridian City, gym time
-Wisdom swept through the gym with Surf
Team:
Courage/Flareon Lv.44
-Dig
-Shadow Ball
-Bite
-Iron Tail
Power/Machoke Lv.44
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Focus Energy
-Submission
Wisdom/Tentacruel Lv.44
-Ice Beam
-Barrier
-Surf
-Acid

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
The Kanto leg of my Ultimate challenge has been completed!

Battled through Victory Road pretty easily. Biff did faint once because I kept using him as he wasn't as high as the other two. Actually ended up using three Rare Candies in my Bag to make room for other items lol. After I made it to Indigo Plateau, I flew to Celadon and bought all the vitamins I could and gave them to my trio.

Time to face the Elite Four!

Lorelei was easily handled by Royal and his Thunderbolt. Her Jynx doesn't know Psychic apparently, so Royal was never in real danger.

I used Biff against Bruno and he was able get through to Machamp before Fangor revenge-killed him for the win. Taught Biff Strength after the battle to replace the less accurate Mega Punch.

Again, led with Biff against Agatha, and was able to get through to the last Gengar on account of how poison damage is not assessed if you kill a foe, and then I ran out of Earthquake PP and was finally taken out by Toxic. Fangor cleaned up for another easy win.

Next was Lance, who is very difficult if your Pokemon don't have moves that can handle dragons or you have slow Pokemon. This was the case for my first Pokemon, Biff, but the rest was okay.

Here's how it went:
Spoiler:

After that victory, it was time to take on Zane for the title of Champion! No stupid moves this time, although Sandslash made a couple questionable decisions...

The final battle:
Spoiler:

yeltriochamp.png

This was fun. My team also ended up at three different levels too :D.

Here's a look at my final trainer card.
yeltriostats.png

Team Wes (Final):

Spr_1y_068.png

Biff (Machamp) - L56
Moves: Rock Slide, Earthquake, Submission, Strength

Spr_1y_130.png

Fangor (Gyarados) - L57
Moves: Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Ice Beam, Surf

Spr_1y_094.png

Royal (Gengar) - L58
Moves: Thunderbolt, Confuse Ray, Night Shade, Psychic
Spr_1y_004.png

Slasher (Charmander) - L10 (Boxed)
Moves: Strength, Growl, Ember, Cut
Spr_1y_016.png

WrightBros (Pidgey) - L15 (Boxed)
Moves: Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack, Fly

Also, I would like to change my Johto game from SoulSilver to Gold.

Last edited:

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
First update for Ruby
Spoiler:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Started Gold leg of ultimate challenge.

• Named self Wes, rival Kris.
  • Chose Chikorita, named Leaf.
  • Got Mystery Egg, lost to Kris.
  • Got Pokeballs, went up to Sprout Tower and caught Gastly, named Royal of course.
  • Grinded Royal to L16 so it would learn Curse so I could defeat the gym. Caught a Geodude in Dark Cave.
  • Beat Faulkner with Curse/Potion/Hypnosis. Leaf and Geodude were both dead at the end.

goldtriofaulkner.png

ZepherBadge Yay! Coolest Badge name eva!​

• Went down to the Pokemon Center in Rt 32, got the Old Rod, and fished for a L10 Magikarp that will be named Fangor as soon as I reach Goldenrod.
  • Made it through Union Cave, talked to Kurt in Azalea Town, am about to take on TR in Slowpoke Well.

Team Wes:
Spr_2g_092.png

Royal (Gastly, M) - L18
Moves: Hypnosis, Lick, Spite, Curse
Spr_2g_129.png

Magikarp, F - L11
Moves: Splash
Spr_2g_152.png

Leaf (Chikorita, M) - L11
Moves: Tackle, Growl, Razor Leaf, Flash
Spr_2g_074.png

Geodude, F - L5
Moves: Tackle

I love that Magikarp is female, it'll make Miltank MUCH easier.

Last edited:

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
Sceond Update(did masses this update):
Spoiler:

Team so far:

:t159:Crocz:t159:
Level 19
~Scratch
~Leer
~Rage
~Water Gun

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
Update #4!

So, from where she left of at Rt34, TriPKMNgl has been quite some way. Let's look at her progess:
TriPKMNgl battled her way through Rt34, with Blaze Dawg, her trusty Growlithe, and Crocigator, her eager Croconaw, by her side. During her journeys on Rt34, Blaze Dawg grew to LV19.
When TriPKMNgl entered a house on Rt34, she was shocked to find a man and a woman who gave her an Egg! An Odd Egg, to be infact.
After a long trek through Rt34, she finally entered Goldenrod City.
She tried to play the slot machines in the game corner, but she had no coins or a coin case. She remembered one of the citizens had said "I think I dropped it in the underground...' She immediatly went underground to retrieve the coin case.
Blaze Dawg grew to LV20 in the Underground. Also, TriPKMNgl found the lost coin case.
On her way to find the citizen who lost the coin case, she saw a Rocket Grunt looking into a tower. Thinking something suspicious was inside, TriPKMNgl decided to take a look. She talked to one of the staff behind the counter to find she was giving away Radio Cards. TriPKMNgl got a Radio Card, just to see if it was dodgy.
Now TriPKMNgl was lost. She decided to see what was at the bottom of Goldenrod. A shop, it seems, a bike shop to be exact. The owner offered her a bike, in return she would advertise the shop. TriPKMNgl accepted the offer, and got a bike!
While she was wandering around town, one of her eggs hatched into a... Togepi! The Togepi, which turned out to be male, was nicknamed Joy.
After lots of searching, she couldn't find the owner of the coin case, and decided to use it. She bought 50 coins, and started to gamble with card flippin'. Then she started with the slots. Neither caught her interest that much, though.

Do you prefer this format, or bullet points like I did before.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Okay, I've made some progress here on Gold.

• Crushed TR in the Slowpoke Well
  • Challenged Bugsy and won pretty easily. Royal doesn't take much damage in there. Forgot a screenshot though.
  • Beat Kris after that with Royal again.
    goldtriokris2.png

• Got through Ilex Forest into Goldenrod. Taught Cut to Leaf.
  • Started grinding to evolve Magikarp (now Fangor) inot Gyrados as Gastly would be useless in a Normal gym. Fought pretty much all the trainers I could find all the way up to Sudowoodo.
  • Beat Whitney pretty easily by Cursing Miltank.
    goldtriowhitney.png
  • Went to Ecruteak Town, picking up the free Spearow for a Fly slave on the way.
  • Beat Kris again in the Burned Tower and set the Beasts roaming.
  • Defeated the Kimono Girls with Fangor and got Surf, which went to Fangor.
  • Challenged the gym, it was pretty easy. I used Royal, now a Haunter, for the most part. Cursed Gengar just before it Shadow Balled him and Fangor finished up with Bite. Again forgot a screenshot.
  • Went east to Mt. Mortar, caught a Machop named Biff of course.
  • Started making my way down to Olivine, got Strength from the sailor and taught it to Geodude, who also had been taught Rock Smash as well. Will teach Strength to Biff eventually I think.
  • Am about to start fighting my way up the Lighthouse.

Team Wes:
Spr_2g_066.png

Biff (Machop, F) - L20 @ Soft Sand
Moves: Low Kick, Dig, Seismic Toss, Karate Chop

Spr_2g_093.png

Royal (Haunter, M) - L29 @ Quick Claw
Moves: Hypnosis, Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Curse

Spr_2g_130.png

Fangor (Gyarados, F) - L28 @ None
Moves: Headbutt, Bite, Surf, Dragon Rage
Spr_2g_021.png

Kenya (Spearow, F) - L10 @ Flower Mail
Moves: Peck, Growl, Leer
Spr_2g_074.png

Geodude, F - L6 @ Charcoal
Moves: Tackle, defense Curl, Rock Smash, Strength
Spr_2g_152.png

Leaf (Chikorita, M) - L12
Moves: Reflect, Cut, Razor Leaf, Flash

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I haven't included it because not many people have it/are playing it, and would be kind of unfair to ultimate challengers

From what I have seen from other challenges is that the Isshu region is considered optional for the Ultimate Challenge until the game comes out in North America/outside Japan, as that is where most people who are on here live. Granted, you can always try a Japanese ROM if you so desire, but I would really rather be able to follow the plot lol.

You should be able to do it if you want, but it's really up to WWB to set it as official, and it wouldn't be part of an ultimate challenge.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm sorry, but can I change my team to: Vaporeon, Houndoom, and Jumpluff? Sorry for the hassle! :'(

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Update numero dos.

Spoiler:

Back