• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Oh, oh, oh, your comic was just...AWESOMELY HILARIOUS. LURVZ IT. DO MORE.

Oh, and, uh...

I came out today. To my parents. They received it very well. I wrote a note to my mom, upon my request she called my dad, and on his way there, my mom and I talked and I explained. My dad took me to Dairy Queen and got me ice cream, and we talked about it too. I was comfortable. We talked as a family (my little bro was at Camp Fitch, THANK GOD) and then my Dad went to go tell my stepmom at their house. My mom told her boyfriend over the phone, and he said that it didn't matter who I was inside. He didn't think any different of me.

I am sooooo relieved that all of the major people who need to know know now, and that they all understand. I have a meeting with the nearest professional, and we'll go from there. My parents are cutting me off whenever I say I'm sure, but we're on hypos like "if we start hormones..." and "I'll pay for this, she'll pay for that..." and all of it. I'm a lot happier NOW. I have to wait until this is all over and see how THAT feels!

/wall of text that bores you but is the best thing I've ever written

I'm happy. :3

That's great!
I thought I'd just comment to say I'm happy for you!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Wow, congratulations, that's so amazing! That's all we could want, isn't it? Parents who love you anyway.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Major congratulations to PIW (pew pew pew! *is shooting lasers*) I am so glad everything turned out alright for you!

I made another comic, it's not funny. But, I wanted to show my thanks to some of the people on Reddit and I figured it was relevant to post here.

Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Aww, that's great Whimsicott! I'm really happy for you! :) It's cute that you got to go to DQ also, lol. I wish I could go get ice cream.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I personally don't say the word "gay" a lot. I don't speak of my friend's sexual orientation unless it's absolutely necessary. It's not the defining characteristic in getting to know them as a person.

Years
Congratz~
Spoiler:

I say we celebrate with a party!... GROUP HUG!!

Spoiler:

Thats awesome that everyone took it all so well :D i love the idea of the note btw x]

That's great!
I thought I'd just comment to say I'm happy for you!

Wow, congratulations, that's so amazing! That's all we could want, isn't it? Parents who love you anyway.

Major congratulations to PIW (pew pew pew! *is shooting lasers*) I am so glad everything turned out alright for you!

Aww, that's great Whimsicott! I'm really happy for you! :) It's cute that you got to go to DQ also, lol. I wish I could go get ice cream.

Thanks, guys. We're working through things, and I still have freaking four days left of school until we have all the time we need. Again, these (^) really mean a lot to me; heck, my hands are practically shaking right now! <33333333

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Thanks, guys. We're working through things, and I still have freaking four days left of school until we have all the time we need. Again, these (^) really mean a lot to me; heck, my hands are practically shaking right now! <33333333

Ah, I know that feeling!
Just know we all support you're decisions!

-

...I feel like making a topic, but none come to mind.
I don't know if this has been done (can't be bothered looking), or if I have the authority to do so (because I have no authority), but let's see...

How do you react when people make fun of people that aren't heterosexual?
Why do you think they do so (religion, etc.)?

Years
This is a bit like the gay bashing one but not the exact same x]

For the first question i guess its mostly disgust. What rights do straight people have that would possibly allow someone to single out someone for something they don't control and ridicule them for it?

As for the second question its mostly one of four reasons. First one is religion, where said person has been taught that being anything apart from heterosexual is wrong. Second one is being in the closet, everyone knows at least one person who is secretly gay or whatever and acts all homophobic to try and draw attention away from themselves. Third one is being un-educated, there were so many people in my high school class who believed silly rumors about gay people like if your gay you automatically have aids or something which they still believed until one of our teachers explained it to them. And finally there is the just plain (for lack of a better forum friendly word) morons who know all the facts and still say that being gay is wrong because it doesn't apply to them.
Theres probably more reasons but there the only ones i've come across x]

Years

I don't usually see people making fun of it exactly. Well, aside from people who aren't straight in the first place, but that's a kind of not-serious, self-referential humor that everyone does when they're with friends and it doesn't really mean anything. Mostly what I see is disgust and bewilderment, like "I heard that person of there is a he-she or whatever. So weird. How does that even work?"

Ignorance, lack of exposure to things that aren't heteronormative. They've never seen/thought about/talked to people who were different so they just fill in the gaps with whatever fills their heads. For some people it's not really as bad because they're not mean-spirited so it's kind of like little kids who make fun of other kids because they wear glasses. They just don't know better or know what it's like to be on the other side. Others have agendas and ideologies and they don't accept anything that doesn't fit into their worldviews so they fill the gaps with whatever matches best to them. That can be religion, but it can also be a cultural thing under the guise of religion.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Shining Raichu said:
Well, I was sort of expanding on your concept that the term 'gay' is a hindrance to masculinity (therefore being stereotypically feminine), and that you don't see yourself as 'gay'.Displays of affection are typically seen as feminine (in my experience, anyway) so many men aren't comfortable partaking. That's what I mean by 'letting some of the "gay" in'

I quite agree, but still lol

Also, Nurse Barbra and I both hit on you and you don't acknowledge it? Are we not pretty enough?

Well perhaps I should elaborate on this more;
The reason why I, at the time, felt like my masculinity was being insulted was because in my mind, it feels as if the term "gay" no longer has anything to do with the actual sexuality anymore. The media, common association, and common connotation very much made "gay" not homosexual, but the stereotype of homosexual people. And since nobody is the stereotype, and the stereotype didn't align with who I am and what my morals are, it in all honesty it sort of made me feel emasculated (because I wasn't secure about it at the time, and this ordeal I was facing sure wasn't helping) using it to define a certain aspect of myself, and making it bigger than it actually is. But that definitely wasn't the main focus of why I changed from using "gay" to "homosexual." That was just a promoter, if you will.
Also, I'd add this in; it's sort of a disclaimer: I don't care and fully accept people who are outside of "the gender box," meaning naturally feminine guys and naturally masculine girls. My problem had to do with struggling with the stereotype, not others' natural disposition.

Well I grew up with a ton of love from my parents and a very affectionate Dad, so in my view and opinion on being affectionate is definitely not a feminine or a masculine thing. It's a show of love to a friend, parent, anyone.
The reason why so many men seem to be not okay with it, is because (and this was said by a very intelligent friend of mine) men tend to be more sensitive to outside emotional stimuli, so affection is often exaggerated to take on other meanings if the relationship isn't clearly defined (to friend, close friend, etc.) that might make the receiving male uncomfortable. The uncomfortably results in the fear of emasculation, which is why affection may be seen as feminine in a person's eyes.
So, I have to disagree with you saying affection is a "gay" thing.
But you bring up a very interesting point of view from me. I'd love to hear your reaction to this. :3

Oh, I noticed. I was just too busy feeling torn to whom I'll go to dinner with. *wink*

PartiallyInsaneWhimsicott said:
/wall of text that bores you but is the best thing I've ever written.

I couldn't be happier with your result!
Thank goodness that everyone around you is very supportive.
Best of luck with your future!

----

Well the only sort of thing I can say fit this is hearing "gay" or "fa(you-know-the-rest)" thrown around. When I hear it, I kind of feel a shock, but, it usually brush it off. They're throwing it around because they don't understand the magnitude of it. I don't really care unless someone is genuinely harassing someone.

Insecurity with subject, empowering, lack of education on subject, lack of education on word, etc.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

Really bugs me. I usually get pissed off and say "well would you like it if someone made fun of how you ______." Just pick some random flaw you see with them right off the bat. As I'm sure I've mentioned plenty of times here, I have a horrible temper and I act without thinking quite a bit. So I'll just call them out on something. lol

Religion plays a part in it, but personally, I think the majority of those making fun of anyone that's not heterosexual is a lack of understanding of people. And hell, this goes for different races, religions, etc and not just orientations. It just shows a lack of respect and knowledge of groups of people that aren't like yourself.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
Guess I should get active, since it's been a while and I haven't. XD

I just hate that. I usually stand up for the person that is being made fun of. I mean, it's not right to do that just because they're different.

I think they do that, like Sydian said, because maybe they just hate that person for being different. But just because someone is different, you don't have to tease or bully them.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks, guys. I would answer Impo's topics, but they've all been said. All of theirs above in one. That's basically how I feel. I mean, would you make fun of someone who was handicapped or mentally retarded? No, you wouldn't, and that's just like making fun of someone homosexual/in the wrong body. It's something you're born with and can't control, and you can't change it;just like being heterosexual.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I ignore it. If they want to get physical, Shining Raichu knows that it will be a very bad day for them (inside joke). I live in the Bay Area of California. Since I'm a 45 minute drive from San Francisco (in good traffic), it's a relatively LGBT friendly area. You'll hear people yell "f*g" once in awhile, but I've yet to see a physical bashing take place in public.

I'd say religion is a part of it, but we can't completely blame religion. Plenty of the more accepting youth I know are devout Catholics, myself likewise. I'd say it's more of a generational thing. The older generation grew up in a time when LGBT people were widely thought of as pedophiles with a mental disorder.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Spoiler:

tl;dr
I kid, I kid. That's so awesome! :cer_boogie: I know I'm tardy to the party, but I wasn't here yesterday. Still, congrats! n.n

~~~

If it's me they're making fun of, I just bite my tongue & get on with my day. However if it's someone else, then I'm quick to stand up for them.

I'd say religion does play a part of it. Other times it's baseless fear of the unknown. I can't say for sure because I don't read minds.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Gah damn time zones, I hate having like twenty posts to catch up on lol

OK, to business first:

I tend to have a sense of humour about myself and about the whole sexuality thing, and I think it's incredibly important not to take yourself too seriously because people can be so highly strung and get offended easily. So it doesn't bug me at all if it's just good-natured banter, but I do find it easy to tell the difference between that and bigotry.

The ones that don't mean well do it for a variety of reasons. Fear of being seen as gay themselves is a big one, and as some people have said, lack of exposure to non-heteronormative people, or even just their upbringing. Bigotry is something that trickles down from generation to generation, unless the new generation are strong-minded enough to reject the hate.

Religion is a huge one, and I am a vocal lobbyist against all religions here on PC. The thing that bugs me is when religious people come and say "oh no, religion is all about love, we don't hate the gays at my church." It's not that I believe that all religious people are gay-haters, and it's not that I don't believe what they say about their own experiences, but it makes me feel like they're calling the LGBT community either liars or over-sensitive, like the evidential track record means nothing and we've just made the whole thing up in our heads. Religion has this gay-hating reputation for a reason, it did not just sprout from nowhere. For more on my opinions about religion, you can check my post history and a variety of threads on Other Chat :P

I ignore it. If they want to get physical, Shining Raichu knows that it will be a very bad day for them (inside joke).

LOL.

Well I grew up with a ton of love from my parents and a very affectionate Dad, so in my view and opinion on being affectionate is definitely not a feminine or a masculine thing. It's a show of love to a friend, parent, anyone.

The reason why so many men seem to be not okay with it, is because (and this was said by a very intelligent friend of mine) men tend to be more sensitive to outside emotional stimuli, so affection is often exaggerated to take on other meanings if the relationship isn't clearly defined (to friend, close friend, etc.) that might make the receiving male uncomfortable. The uncomfortably results in the fear of emasculation, which is why affection may be seen as feminine in a person's eyes.
So, I have to disagree with you saying affection is a "gay" thing.
But you bring up a very interesting point of view from me. I'd love to hear your reaction to this. :3

Oh, I noticed. I was just too busy feeling torn to whom I'll go to dinner with. *wink*

Clearly we've had very very different experiences with our fathers lol. Mine was never affectionate at all, and we have an incredibly strained relationship because I'm not comfortable with his over-compensatory masculinity :P

Your friend's point is very very true, and I admit I'd never thought of it that way. But it also begs the question of my being seen as masculine is so much more important to men than being seen as feminine is to women. And I wasn't saying affection is a gay thing, I was just playing off what I thought you had said originally :P (confusing word jumble)

Pick me, I'll make it worth your while ;)

Besides, it's their own choices, they can choose whether to be heterosexual or not, they don't need someone else's opinions.

lol I'm not going to attack you for this because I've spoken to you on MSN about sexualities and I really do know that you mean well (and I'll ask everybody else not to attack you too - yeah, I see you over there with your blades, put them down. PUT THEM DOWN.) but this is the assumption we're fighting against - nobody chooses their sexuality. I'm sure you know that though, it was just a poor choice of words :P - it happens to all of us lol

Back