• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfer treecko

help, how do I...?
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
@JerichoMadness

If I understand correctly, the problem might be that you're loading the ROM while still in the room you've edited. Make a savestate outside the room and load that one when checking it.

JerichoMadness

He's back. And he's mad! O...o
Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
Tried it, it still happens. Waiting with Mum. Put up a Person in my room who talks to me => works

Set up a statue (Sign) => Person gone, all other scripts in the room don't work

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I have 2 questions to ask:

1) Does your XSE script ever reset itself? I was editing the script in fire red where oak stops you from going in the grass. The only thing I have changed was the movement but when I try to change the movemnt, complite it, close it, and open the script up again it goes back to the way it was before. i don't get why this happens =(

2) How would I make an in game trade? Like when a NPC says "I'll trade my geodude for your onix". I made one but it was really bad, you couldn't see the trade screen yeah =(

If you know how to do any of these, PM me please!

JonnyPhoenyx

Steel Trainer and Proud
Years
Wow, hate to break the XSE and Mod theme here, but here it goes:

If a basic pokemon learns a move at LvX, and it's evolved form also learns a move at the same level, when it evolves, does it learn both moves?
Example: Eevee learns Baton Pass at Lv36. Umbreon learns Faint Attack at Lv36 as well (HGSS). If Eevee evolved at Lv36, would it lean Baton Pass > Evolve > then learn Faint Attack once it's Umbreon?

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Wow, hate to break the XSE and Mod theme here, but here it goes:

If a basic pokemon learns a move at LvX, and it's evolved form also learn a moves at the same level, when it evolves, does it learn both moves?
Example: Eevee learns Baton Pass at Lv36. Umbreon learns Faint Attack at Lv36 as well (HGSS). If Eevee evolved at Lv36, would it lean Baton Pass > Evolve > then learn Faint Attack once it's Umbreon?

It could do. I remember in Ruby evolving Torchic into Combusken at Lv. 16 made it learn Double Kick after evolving. I think it would, as if it levels up in battle, in learns the new move, then after battle, evolves and learns new move.

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
For JPAN's OW switch, a warp is needed to make the switch actually happen. I made a level script at the beginning of the game (right after the intro ends) and in it, I set the variable to make the switch, and then a warp which was made to warp you to the same exact spot on the same map, as a way of "resetting it". The idea was this was supposed to happen before the screen showed, like how the player looks up in the original game as soon as the map shows up.

Instead, the screen showed, then it faded in and out (the warp happened after the screen loaded) and the OW didn't switch. can anyone shed some light on this, if there's a reason it didn't work or something I can do differently?

Years
Let's say Pikachu evolves into Raichu at Level 5. At Level 5, Pikachu learns Move A, and at Level 5, Raichu learns Move B. When Pikachu levels up, it tries to learn Move A. Then, after the battle ends/you've used the Rare Candy, Pikachu evolves into Raichu, and Raichu tries to learn Move B.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Does anyone know a simple ASM routine to change the value of an offset of your choice within the RAM?

For instance, let's say I wanted to change the value at 0x02023BE4. How would I go about doing that?

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Does anyone know a simple ASM routine to change the value of an offset of your choice within the RAM?

For instance, let's say I wanted to change the value at 0x02023BE4. How would I go about doing that?

I'm not very certain, but what you do is you find out how the value was obtained then you can branch the routine and make your own subroutine to modify the outcome.

I'm not very sure, but I think that's the way you do it

JerichoMadness

He's back. And he's mad! O...o
Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
G'Day people, n00b here.

I'm getting pretty annoyed.
Started XSE tutorials yesterday, all I want to do is insert a few things in a FR Rom in my own room at the start who talk to me. So far, so good.
If I'm unlucky and insert a new script in Advance Map, the whole room is sometimes "broken". It happens from time to time, scripts are correct.
=> My new script can't be seen, all other warps/scripts that were there before don't work anymore (e.g. the PC/TV, stair warp). Even if I delete the new event that make all that happen.

That again means I can rewrite the rom over again.

What the hell am I doing wrong? o...o

I'd like to re-roll my problem.

Till now I've tried about 10 times to insert simple small events in my starter room. I even managed to set up 3 working scripts in my room. I set up a fourth one and the room was broken (Black screen).
I tried setting things up in the kitchen where Mum is, same thing happened. I've used different ROMs (Another FR Rom/Ruby Rom), the same thing always happens.
Using Advance Map 1.92, XSE 1.1 and FSF. Can anyone maybe send me a message with thoughts or try to help me out in any way? I'm tending to give up on this _._

sonic1

ASM is my life now...
Years

What do you mean actually? Like an WriteByteToOffset?
Or a value that changes constantly?

If the first one, it's as simple as this:

Code:
.align 2
.thumb

push {r0-r1,lr}
ldr r0, =0xOFFSET
ldr r1, =0xValue
[S-HIGHLIGHT]str[/S-HIGHLIGHT] r1, [r0]
pop {r0-r1, lr}

You must change That STR to STRB if the value is only 1 byte or to STRH if it's 2 bytes. Otherwise, it's 4 bytes and you leave it like it is.

~Sonic1

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
Hey guys,
I got problem with a trip script...
Spoiler:

When the fadescreen comes to normal the msgbox doesn't appear...
What is wrong in this script?

PS: I tried to delete the "pause 0x4A" and it works but I NEED this pause in script.
Maybe there is something instead of pause command?

Please help me!

Last edited:

surfer treecko

help, how do I...?
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
I'm trying repointing the cries of various Pokemon with Cry Pointer Repointer, however finding the pointers for the cries of Hoenn Pokemon is proving to be difficult as there doesn't seem to be any order to them.

For example, I'm trying to find Zigzagoon's cry. Typing in the PokeID 288 (zigzagoon's index number) gives me Nuzleaf's cry, 289 (testing to see if evolutions follow one another) gives my Shiftry's cry, 263 (Zigzagoon's national dex number) gives me what I think is Jirachi's cry, and 255 gives me Electrike's cry. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern at all...

I'm editing Fire Red btw.

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
I'm trying repointing the cries of various Pokemon with Cry Pointer Repointer, however finding the pointers for the cries of Hoenn Pokemon is proving to be difficult as there doesn't seem to be any order to them.

For example, I'm trying to find Zigzagoon's cry. Typing in the PokeID 288 (zigzagoon's index number) gives me Nuzleaf's cry, 289 (testing to see if evolutions follow one another) gives my Shiftry's cry, 263 (Zigzagoon's national dex number) gives me what I think is Jirachi's cry, and 255 gives me Electrike's cry. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern at all...

I'm editing Fire Red btw.

The best idea would be to use PokeCry v1.0 (GUI) and Hex Editor. In PokeCry you have CORRECT order (index numbers). Get the offset, reverse it, find in Hex Editor and change to your new offset (of course put there reversed new one). It worked for me in FireRed (and Ruby too :D).

Dr.Razor

Yellow Remaker
Years
So, I'm getting back into the ds romhacking and I have several questions :
1) How can I find Hex adresses of palettes in pokemon diamond ? I cannot find the values of palettes in DeSmume, like I used to do in VBA.
2) Can I have to edit nsbmd files without having to do it manually? It's really a pain in ths a**. I was able to make a tree in the middle of a town, but not further more.
3) Polygons are associated with textures and palettes. I assume these textures are 2D textures editable with crytale tile or Tile molester. Is there anyway to edit them? Or do someone know where those datas are stored?
For example, can I copy the texture of trees in HG/SS and palettes and paste them into pokemon diamond?

Thanks for your answers =)

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
Editing Oak, Red, and Blue in the FR/LG intro

I'm using Nameless Sprite Editor to edit the sprites for Oak, Red, and Blue in the Fire Red intro speech. However, their sprites start off greyscale, and when I switch greyscale off, their sprites have no pallet. Every time I edit one, greyscale or not, when I get back into the game, the sprite has extremely distorted colors. Is their anyway I can edit these without messing up the colors, or is there a simpler way to edit the sprites without NSE?

Years
I've searched as much as I can, but can't find an answer so I apologize if this has been answered already (sorry guys, but I'm not reading through 900 pages...)

I'm just learning, so doing some very simple hacks to Ruby using Advance Map and PKSV (on a Mac, using WINE). I've successfully added and removed wild pokemon, and added a person event, but that's where I ran into trouble. I could not get just a simple "hello" script to work for the life of me even after fiddling around for an hour and reading through half a dozen different tutorials, but now I'm thinking that the problem is with Advance Map instead of my script. Within advance map, I can get the correct script to link with the sprite, and the sprite shows up where I put it, but... any updates I've made to the sprite since putting it in there (changing the image, changing the position, even deleting it) don't show up in the ROM when I save the new map, which is, I think, why the script isn't working either. Does anybody know what's going on?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I've searched as much as I can, but can't find an answer so I apologize if this has been answered already (sorry guys, but I'm not reading through 900 pages...)

I'm just learning, so doing some very simple hacks to Ruby using Advance Map and PKSV (on a Mac, using WINE). I've successfully added and removed wild pokemon, and added a person event, but that's where I ran into trouble. I could not get just a simple "hello" script to work for the life of me even after fiddling around for an hour and reading through half a dozen different tutorials, but now I'm thinking that the problem is with Advance Map instead of my script. Within advance map, I can get the correct script to link with the sprite, and the sprite shows up where I put it, but... any updates I've made to the sprite since putting it in there (changing the image, changing the position, even deleting it) don't show up in the ROM when I save the new map, which is, I think, why the script isn't working either. Does anybody know what's going on?

During the game, you probably need to go away from the said map in order for the changes to take effect.
Example, you added an NPC outside Pallet Town, and you saved outside the said town as well. In order for the changes to happen, restart the game with your emulator, head inside a house, and head out for the map to be completely refreshed.

But if it still does not work, then maybe you are assigning the wrong offset to the NPC, or the NPC is affected by the map's level script.
If still not working, then I have no clue about why that is happening. :\

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
1. if i were to add rock climb to a ruby rom do i only need the script? or do i need to do like hex editing?
2.where can i find 4th and 5th generation cries in .wav format?
3. How do i make a person give you the national dex?

Years

During the game, you probably need to go away from the said map in order for the changes to take effect.
Example, you added an NPC outside Pallet Town, and you saved outside the said town as well. In order for the changes to happen, restart the game with your emulator, head inside a house, and head out for the map to be completely refreshed.

But if it still does not work, then maybe you are assigning the wrong offset to the NPC, or the NPC is affected by the map's level script.
If still not working, then I have no clue about why that is happening. :\

Thanks! That fixed the problem in terms of the sprite updating. I'll be back after classes to see if I can get the script to work now :)

<update>

The scripts work now, hurrah! Thanks again :)

Okay, a couple more questions now that I've got simple scripts working:

I more or less understand the concept of flags, but is there some place I can find a list of unused flags in Ruby? PKSV only shows FR/LG. Or alternatively, is there a way that I can manually check to see if a flag is unused?

Also, how can I check to see if the player has a specific item/badge/pokemon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back