• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon SunGold & Pokémon MoonSilver

walnut3072

Quan
Years
zdvPw2s.png

Pokémon SunGold & Pokémon MoonSilver
Info:
Hack of: PKM HeartGold & SoulSilver [US]
Release Date: March 29th, 2016
Latest Update: April 16th, 2016

The idea of making this hack started for several reasons. Several months ago, I completed Drayano's Blaze Black 2, which is, honestly, the best Pokemon game I've ever played, and this made me wanna try out his other hack of HGSS. Thanks to MeroMero's tutorial on adding the Fairy-type to HGSS, I was so inspired and started to think about making an expansion for Drayano's famous hack Sacred Gold & Storm Silver in which I'd not only put in the Fairy-type, update the moves, but also introduce some of my ideas about new attacks, Pokemon changes and the more balance and fascinating new Type Chart. At first I thought I'd just make a mini hack with not so much changes for myself to enjoy as soon as possible, but as I progressed, new ideas kept popping up so I add them to the game. Today, when my hack had ended up with a significant amount of changes in Pokemon, Moves and the Type Match-Ups, I share it with anybody interested in returning to the nostalgic but also full-of-novelty Johto region.

9rTmVgI.png
jZU9Pob.png
PUW9YA3.png

POKéMON

The main point of all changes is to bring out the potential every Pokemon from rarely-used to over-used so that players can use their favorite Pokemon in tough battles. That also means, not only weaker Pokemon are made better (with reasonable stat boost, new moveset,…) the commonly-seen ones are given new abilities, moves or even type to create a fresher experience. Some notable type change include:
Fairy-type Pokemon: Beside 20 Fairy pokemon in gen VI official game, there are additionally 13 suitable Pokemon receiving Fairy as their secondary type (e.g., Meganium, Mareep line, Milotic, Misdreavus, etc.).
New Dragon-type Pokemon: Charizard, Onix, Steelix, Sceptile and Huntail.
• Other than that, some Pokemon have their type modified to match their appearance better (e.g., Gyarados – Water/Dragon, Seviper - Poison/Dark, etc.) and/or, hopefully, more competitively viable (e.g., Ledian – Bug/Fighting, Quilava & Typhlosion - Fire/Ground, Butterfree - Bug/Psychic, etc.).
Starters are now more competent with new abilities, moves and type changes such as Venusaur with Thick Fat, Blastoise with Drizzle, Feraligatr with Shed Skin, Sceptile with Adaptability, or the Water/Ice-type Empoleon with Snow Warning. However, to maintain the balance in game evolution level are raise to 25 for 2nd stage and 46 for final stage Pokemon, whose Lv-up rates are also changed to slow. I think it's great to spend more time in game with the 1st and 2nd stage Pokemon.
All details are fully documented.

f89zFSc.png
TFWPiTq.png
LchGP1M.png
UPAJVHm.png

Spoiler:

MOVES

There is a total of 157 moves receiving changes in this hack. Generally, there are 3 levels of change:
1. Slight adjustments in terms of power or accuracy.

2. More significant revamps such as type or category changes (e.g., Pay Day is now a special Steel-type move with 65 power while its 'bonus-gold' effect is still there). These moves are indicated in bold in the document and can now be learnt by much more suitable Pokemon when leveling up.
• Rarely-used early status moves such as Tail Whip, Sand Attack, Smokescreen,… are now either special or physical damaging moves with their effects kept unchanged. Leer is now an early way to get items from wild Pokemon in the first routes since they may now hold some useful items.
• Sonic Boom (Power: 15) and Power Whip (Power:30) now hits 3 times in a row with their power rising by 10 after each hit.

3. And lastly, 30 moves have been totally tranformed into new ones with new effects, type, and power. Some notable groups include:
  • Draining Moves: Draining Kiss, Vampiric Bite, Vampiric Aura, Purification and Cold Embrace.

XPpMGKk.png
654ZY6o.png
YcB35as.png
PMBmW6e.png

• Raise-all-stat Moves: Sacred Fire, Primal Light, Nature Grace and Lucky Break. All moves from this group (including Ancient Power, Silver Wind and Ominous Wind) have had their power and effect chance boosted to 72 and 20%, respectively. Lucky Break is the only move in this group having an increased priority and it's only available to the Lv-up movesets of low-stat Pokemon.

38Jz6Q0.png
LmbT44e.png
lw6sQsP.png
iL5vPXv.png

• Cool-looking-but-rarely-used moves such as Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant, Storm Blast, Fissure, Mist Ball,… have been greatly revamped for competitive use as well as distributed to the Lv-up moveset of many relevant Pokemon.
  • Random Effect Moves (like Tri Attack): Dragon Breath, Void Vortex and Ghost Punch
  • Gen 5 and 6 similar moves: PowerUpPunch, Volt Switch, Steam Shower (same as Scald), and some Fairy-type moves.

73lKRrf.png
aFrZWkJ.png
2WVkb91.png
rYZmkW2.png

• And lastly, two 'theme' moves of this hack: Sunraze and Moonraze have also been distributed to the movesets of 29 suitable Pokemon.

cAmh8GY.png
bRsBjXn.png

Check out the Pokemon Changes document to see which Pokemon can learn these new moves. In-game move description texts have also been changed to match the new effects. All details are carefully documented.
Spoiler:

Type Match-Up Chart

There is a total of 32 changes made in the type chart, which also has its own document. Overall, the idea is to, hopefully, further balance the game as much as I can while also considering the logical factor. Not all changes come from my personal experience. There are also ideas that I gathered from fans in many discussion threads and then selected the ones that make sense to put in the game.
Spoiler:

Notable changes are from the Fairy type. Offensively, Fairy is now s.e. against Dark, Ghost and Dragon; deals normal damage to Fire, Fight and Poison; and is ineffective against Normal, Grass and itself. To explain, I wanna turn the Fairy type into something 'holier' or more 'sanctified' so that it'll fit better with the new moves such as Primal Light and Purification. And since fairies are supposed to be good creatures who protect nature, this type should deal less damage to Grass, Normal and itself. To balance the game, Fighting is now weak to Ghost and no longer resists Bug; and Ghost Pokemon are no longer weak to Ghost-type moves.

Version Differences

While both versions had all the changes and add-ons I mentioned above, there are still defferences. In SunGold, you'll play with the followings:
• Original story of HGSS.
• Randomized Wild Encounter (with similar strength to the original so that it won't break the game). However, I've modified it so that the Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh starters will appear at the first 3 areas in game, Route 29, 30, and 46, respectively. Isn't this great for Nuzlocke Challenge?
• Gym Leaders and Elite Four now all have mix-typed teams with increased difficulty and adjusted level curve.
• Instant Text Speed
• Prepare for this time ecountering Red cuz his Pokemon not only got the new moves, but also make you supprised for their enhanced power.
• Action Replay Codes supported. (You can find in it own document)

And MoonSilver can be regarded as an expansion of Sacred Gold & Storm Silver since it maintains most of Drayano's scripts. However, there are changes including the followings:

• Most trainers and Leaders' Pokemon now have their movesets updated with the new moves.
• Gym Leaders' Pokemon's levels are slightly adjusted to further reduce the gap with player's Pokemon's levels. Falkner and Whitney's first team now has 4 and 5 Pokemon, respectively, instead of 6. Some trainers as well as Gym Leaders have been given new Pokemon in their team, especially those who received substantial enhancement like starters. For instance, Lance (or Clair, I don't remember clearly), who has the full-dragon team, now has one of his Dragonairs replaced with Sceptile, a new Dragon-type in this game.
• The places where you received Kanto starters and Sinnoh starters by Quiz Masters have been swapped so that Piplup (Water/Ice-type) or Turwig (who now learns a rock-type move very early) can assists you in the battle with Falkner. There is also a slim chance that you'll now encounter Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle in the morning/day/night at the very first place to catch wild pkm, route 29.
• Cynthia now gives you a Castform instead of an Eevee since I think having one of the eeveelutions (whose stats are too high for early game) would likely make the game less challenging. Don't worry, you'll still be gifted an Eevee later by Billy at Goldenrod City.
• Prepare for this time ecountering Red cuz his Pokemon not only got the new moves, but also make you supprised for their enhanced power.
• Action Replay Codes supported. (You can find in it own document)
• A note for those who're playing this version, when you've progressed to Route 43, where an additional event of Drayano (which is indeed very cool) about Team Rocket taking over the Safari Zone takes place, remember to save often since the game may crash at any moment. Other than that, I've never had that kinds of issue in this game.

Bugs:

- In-game Pokedex may have bugs. It's best not to open it.
- In SunGold, Prof. Oak will says: 'Welcome to PKM MoonSilver!...' Sorry ^^!

Patch Change Logs:

- April 16 Patch (both versions, download link updated):
1) Moves: Poison Gas self-damaging fixed, now works properly; Cold Embrace, Vampiric Aura and Vampiric Bite's power (70->75); Focus Blast's power/acc. (120/70->110/80); Crunch's acc./chance to lower Def. (95/20%->100/30%); Thunder Bolt's acc. (95->100); PowerUpPunch's acc./PP (90/10->95/15); Primal Light's power/chance to raise all stats (72/20%->90/10%).
2) Fixed the issue where the Fairy-type icon not showing properly in SunGold.

- March 31 Patch (SunGold-only): Kanto Leaders' Pokemon now have the right movesets. Download link updated.

Download Link

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B14JlYsxMtNqM1FGV0tlSHpiOUE&usp=sharing
Remember to patch them with clean HGSS [US] rom.

Credits and Special Thanks

:: Drayano for letting me use his hack as a base.
:: MeroMero for making the Fairy-type tutorial and helping me with the Fairy-type icon and solving errors.
:: JackHack for his useful tools.
And all the creators of PPRE and CrystalTiles.

If you've played this, I'd love to receive your feedbacks and ideas to make the game (or maybe future hacks) better.
Don't hesitate to post your comments!

Last edited:

Lord Arkadios

PKMN Trainer Zalkari
Years
This actually looks phenomenal. I just might have to play. I guess the ultimate question is this; is it 100% completed? Or will I have to be on the look out for multiple updates/patches?

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
Good Job for inserting Fairy-type on drayano's hack that was my dream someday but you open up this and i'm totally go play this.
I have one question is this final? or there's something more to come up?
i hope u do really understand me (cuz im not good in english).

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Is it possible to add mega evo?
I have no clue about that. Sorry.
This actually looks phenomenal. I just might have to play. I guess the ultimate question is this; is it 100% completed? Or will I have to be on the look out for multiple updates/patches?
Yes, it is 100% completed.
Good Job for inserting Fairy-type on drayano's hack that was my dream someday but you open up this and i'm totally go play this.
I have one question is this final? or there's something more to come up?
i hope u do really understand me (cuz im not good in english).
It's final. Kanto Gym Leaders and even Red's team have been revamped where needed and updated with new moves.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
so you made all the starters' growth rate Slow like most dragon type pokemons?

lowkey1202

Unofficial Game Tester
Years
  • Age 11
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Wish I could get xdelta to work would definitely give this I play through

walnut3072

Quan
Years
so you made all the starters' growth rate Slow like most dragon type pokemons?
Only the final stage starters. I also did this for a better LV curve since you'll face upto 16 gym leaders in this game.
Wish I could get xdelta to work would definitely give this I play through
What problem do you have with xdelta? Did you use a clean HGSS US rom to patch with?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
Wow this is awesome!!! I have one question... Can you capture all pokemon in one game?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Wow that looks really cool! And very creative. I'll check this out!

Just a question: Is it possible to make TMs infinite use?

lowkey1202

Unofficial Game Tester
Years
  • Age 11
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
What problem do you have with xdelta? Did you use a clean HGSS US rom to patch with?
xdetla GUI ? And it might be the ROM I'm using can't seem to find a clean rom I was trying to use (xenophobia) ROM only one I can find

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Wow this is awesome!!! I have one question... Can you capture all pokemon in one game?
In MoonSilver, sure yes.
In SunGold, the wild has been randomized for nuzlocke play, so it's not guaranteed you'll encounter all.

Wow that looks really cool! And very creative. I'll check this out!

Just a question: Is it possible to make TMs infinite use?
I don't think it's possible at the moment.

I can't seem to find working link for Pokemon HeartGold US rom.
Can somebody please help me find working link for Pokemon HeartGold US rom?

xdetla GUI ? And it might be the ROM I'm using can't seem to find a clean rom I was trying to use (xenophobia) ROM only one I can find

You guys can find one on emuparadise ;)

Pretty hype stuff. My only complaint is that opening the Pokédex somehow crashes the game.

Yeah, I'm still finding a way to fix this.

lowkey1202

Unofficial Game Tester
Years
  • Age 11
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
In MoonSilver, sure yes.
In SunGold, the wild has been randomized for nuzlocke play, so it's not guaranteed you'll encounter all.

I don't think it's possible at the moment.

You guys can find one on emuparadise ;)

Yeah, I'm still finding a way to fix this.

I got it working , and same thing my crashed on sun gold, moon silver Dex works fine

Back