• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When should I begin EV training?

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
I've recently acquired 5/6 Pokemon for my competitive team and I'd like to start EV training.

Now, I have a few ideas on how to EV train them but I'm not sure which is more efficient. I've never EV trained before and I'm quite nervous o.O

I was thinking that I should start by leveling them all to 100, giving them -EV berries to reset their stats, then kill things for EVs as well as giving them items to boost their stats.

Or maybe its better to just give them EXP share and grind through the elite four? I have absolutely no clue what I should do. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

xhainingx

grimer? I hardly know her
Years
what I generally do is give a low level pokemon a lucky egg and go through the elite four, switching them in on pokemon that yield the EVs i want them to have.

DO NOT LEVEL THEM TO 100!! pokemon get the boosts from EVs as they level up, so if you start ev training at 100, you won't see the results, if theoretically you could get all 508 of your evs at level 99, then level up to 100, that would be fine though.

you can use this to go through the elite four if you'd like

Shauntal

Cofagrigus 2 Def
Jellicent 2 Sp.Def
Froslass 2 Speed
Drifblim 2 HP
Goulrk 2 Atk
Chandelure 3 Sp.Atk

Grimsely

Sharpedo 2 Atk
Liepard 2 Speed
Scrafty 1 Def 1 Sp.Def
Drapion 2 Def
Krookodile 3 Atk
Bisharp 2 Atk

Caitlin

Musharna 2 HP
Sigilyph 2 Sp.Atk
Bronzong 1 Def 1 Sp.Def
Reuniclus 3 Sp.Atk
Gothitelle 3 Sp.Def
Metagross 3 Def

Marshal

Breloom 2 Atk
Sawk 2 Atk
Throh 2 HP
Toxicroak 2 Atk
Mienshao 2 Atk
Conkeldurr 3 Atk

Alder

Accelgor 2 Speed
Bouffalant 2 Atk
Druddigon 2 Atk
Vanilluxe 3 Sp.Atk
Escavalier 2 Atk
Volcarona 3 Sp.Atk

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
Oh wow, thanks a bunch for that list! I'm definitely going to use this! Thanks xDDDD

I thought that Gen V was the exception though? If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that Gen V was the start of level 100's being able to get EV's at 100 from killing things? Or am I mistaken?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey there!

I'm not sure if you've seen this, but it might answer some of your questions.

Also, this might come in handy for you also.

Best of luck!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I think I'd still prefer to EV train early rather than later - at least you won't have to compile all of those EV-reduce berries. Plus, you don't really know which EVs went where and so you'll have to use enough berries on each stat to remove potentially all of them (because idk you might have accidentally trained your Slowbro with 255 Speed EVs somehow!). I mean there's no logical way to track where they went so you'd have to use enough berries to wipe out every single EV you -could- have gotten, potentially wasting tons of berries too.

I dunno, you could try your method but it sounds obnoxiously difficult and I'd much rather just do it nice and simple from the beginning. ;;

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
Hey Vrai! Long time no see xD Good point, I wanted to start EV training earlier because I didn't want to have to use the berries, but I wasn't sure if waiting till 100 was the best thing to do.

Alexial, thanks for those links. I've been on Smogon but somehow I missed those. Thanks a bunch!

vPHOTONv

Breeder/EV Trainer
Years
Umm, depends what game you are playing, if it's 4th gen then I can tell you the best hot spots for SS/HG.

If it's B/W I suggest looking up EV hotspots on google.

I normally raise them to about 40-50 before I start training them. with RC. Give them some decent moves, and feed them the Stat boosters ex. carbon, protein, HP up.

I have read places lv 100 will not gain EV's because they can no longer gain Exp. but I may be wrong.

Use power items Bracer, lens, weight ect. when battling the specific pokemon that give the EV you desire.

PKrus is great here. I can explain this real quick just to verify for you and everybody else who doesn't know.

Pkrs will double the EV amout gained.

Ex. magikarp give 1 speed ev so PKRS will double that.

now a power item attached.

magikarp still gives 1 ev but power Items add 4 to that, KOing 1 magikarp with a power item gives 5 speed EV's

Power Item + Pkrs now take that 1+4 in speed and x 2 giving you a total of 10 EV's

Remember you can only max out 2 stats, each stat can have 255, for a grand total of 510 EV's max

But you only gain 1 boost for every 4 EV's gained. So max out the 2 stats (if thats all your doing) at 252 EV's then add the extra to something else.

that's just a quick run down and a basic guide to help you out.

my knowledge comes from the 20 plus pokemon I have EV trained in the past few days, along with the others I have trained in the past.

hope this helps. Any questions PM me.

~Photon

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
Photon, thanks for the advice! I've already got the lists again I EV'd my first Pokemon, Machop. Below are the stats and conversions that I used to determine my EVs"

Last edited:

xhainingx

grimer? I hardly know her
Years
it makes sense cause otherwise you could do something like
252 atk
252 hp
then at level 99 give it enough berries to reduce those both to 0, then do
252 def
252 sp def
and level up once to get the rewards, effectively earning 1008 evs

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 16, 2011
*Technically*, you could EV train at 100 after berry-reducing everything. It's called the Box Trick, and it works well for EV-training Little Cup Pokemon. You gather the vitamins/EVs you need and then pop them in the PC box before they level (or at the target level like 100 or 5 for LC). The PC will "reveal" their EV'd stats in the Summary field and will show them when you withdraw that Pokemon from then on. Test it on a Pokemon you haven't raised and see the change. Usually, I only recommend this for Little Cup training. You're better off EV'ing right from the get-go on regular Pokemon.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
*Technically*, you could EV train at 100 after berry-reducing everything. It's called the Box Trick, and it works well for EV-training Little Cup Pokemon. You gather the vitamins/EVs you need and then pop them in the PC box before they level (or at the target level like 100 or 5 for LC). The PC will "reveal" their EV'd stats in the Summary field and will show them when you withdraw that Pokemon from then on. Test it on a Pokemon you haven't raised and see the change. Usually, I only recommend this for Little Cup training. You're better off EV'ing right from the get-go on regular Pokemon.

Cool! I'll have to try that! Thanks :)

Back