• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Brainstorming & Discussion Thread

Years

Brainstorming & Discussion Thread

Ok, so I am re-making this thread to hopefully spark more interest and activity into this board, because we have such good LP'ers and the potential for great reviews too.

In this thread, you can discuss ideas you have, maybe events or fun things to brighten up the board. You can just say what is on your mind for this board and so on.

Remember to be polite and civil with other peoples ideas.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
I definitely wish this section was more active. I used to post LP videos here and it was definitely fun, but seemed like it was only a small group who were interested. It's a shame too, seeing as how popular LP videos really are around YouTube and several other sites around the internet. I think the problem is that this site just doesn't hold the crowd for it. The majority of the people here are here for hacking or Pokemon discussion. Some of the users may not even be aware of a section for LPs.

As for the people who are interested in creating a LP series, I think the problem might be that:
  • They're self concious of their voice, which I can understand that seeing as I was that way when I posted videos here.
  • They don't think they can draw in a crowd.
  • They don't have the software.
  • They don't know how to go about recording themselves with commentary.
  • They don't know what to play. Being a community about pokemon, most people want to play a Pokemon game. Some people looking into making an LP series might think they're being unoriginal. I felt that way when I wanted to start a Platinum LP series.
  • They might see how other LPers don't recieve much feedback and fear they might not get any either. Most LPers get discouraged by this and quit making videos.
  • Some people might prefer picture/text based LPs but it requires A LOT of work.

Unfortunately since this is a sub-forum, it gets much less activity than the main forum it's under.
As far as suggestions go, this section could:
  • Make a few pinned threads regarding how to record an LP as well as a directory of software that could help them record their screen/voice.
  • Find a way to encourage the forum users to suggest games/challenges they would like to see people who want to create an LP series play. This could also tie in challenges, such as "Complete Super Metroid in under x hours" or "Nuzlocke Run Pokemon Ruby/Have the viewers suggest pokemon to use.
  • You could make a pinned thread full of common challenges people could take up while playing games and keep it open for other users to post challenges that aren't in the main post.
  • Give LP related badges. I received one before, I don't know if you guys still do that.
  • This is highly unlikely and I don't even know why i'm suggesting it because it will almost definitely be turned down, but give LPers and Reviewers a user tag after posting a significant amount of content and maintaining it in the section. This will definitely encourage activity, but may cause people to ask this for sections such as hacking and art. I remember an old site I was apart of provided users with a "Writer" title after creating 5 or more guides for their library, which ended up making the section a hit. It was also beneficial to the site as it had a lot of learning material.
  • Start group LPs, such as people playing on a Minecraft Server or playing an online game together. It's better when there's more people commentating!
  • Categorize threads better with post icons relevant to genre.
  • Find ways to make this subforum more prevalent, such as an announcement regarding recent happenings. There's a huge crowd for LPs on the internet, it's just the vast majority of them wouldn't know it to be here. Perhaps mention LPs somewhere in the New User section of the forum to let them know there's a section for that.
  • Encourage LPers to interact with the viewers more by asking questions/creating polls/responding to viewer comments.
  • Lastly, try to go do some research. Go check out other sites LP sections and see what they're doing differently.

Also I would like to address what most of the LPers are guilty of. I admit I used to be this way, but a lot of people advertise through annotations or within the video for viewers to subscribe or rate. This turns the viewers OFF from watching your videos. Remind LPers that you shouldn't be making these videos to become some Youtube hotshot, rather you do this because it's fun.

I've had the idea to start a new LP series rattling around in the back of my mind for a couple of months now. It's a lot more fun commentating while you play a game because it feels like you have a crowd. It tends to get you a lot more interested in what you're doing.
Just have fun with it, and when others see you're having fun with it they'll want to hop on board as well.

Last edited:
Years
I love you took the time out to type this up!

A lot of what you have been saying, I have noticed and had those ideas, so it is nice someone else is on the same wave length as me.

I will be looking into rolling out new ideas and such in the near future. :)​

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Just glancing quickly because I have a thing to post but:
They might see how other LPers don't recieve much feedback and fear they might not get any either. Most LPers get discouraged by this and quit making videos.
Maybe this would be a good focus to have - so try to design something that encourages comments? For instance Astinus and I have been running Review challenges in fics to try to get some more activity there. Doesn't mean it'll work but it's something to consider.

Anyways, as it is a discussion thread: I HAVE AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT. See, I went over to imageshack to upload more images for my own LP. Guess what lovely message they have up.
You have 3199 photos stored. Since you're over the 500 photo limit you'll need to upgrade to a Premium account or you'll only be able to keep 500 of your recent photos. Older photos will expire on the 1st of March.
This is a policy change they just made a couple of days ago apparently with no warning. So basically: if you have the joy in having chosen imageshack to upload images for your LP, you have the choice of paying on a monthly basis to keep your stuff, or starting over.

Bah humbug etc.

Years
I think I might do a, beginners guide to LPing or something like that, seems that it could go well.

I don't think Photobucket has a limit...​

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Oh yay, thanks for listening! :D
I was thinking people were going to blow off my suggestions, haha.

Yeah PhotoBucket shouldn't have that limit unless they changed their policy too. That sucks, seeing as a lot of people use imageshack.
The only Photobucket limit i'm aware of is a bandwidth limit, which causes your images to be taken down if the images appear in high traffic areas. It shouldn't be too big of a deal though, seeing as it's like 10GB a month for free users.

I'm excited for change! LPs are awesome and I hope we can get some more people participating. I'm gonna start recording a series today, so maybe I can get some more people to hop on board.
Another suggestion: Yuoaman needs to pick up his LPs again! : P

Years
Don't expect changes to be done straight away! :P
But I am working on them. I am a busy person with work and stuff, but I am working on things! :D​

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Ugh, I wish I had my gaming rig. Unfortunately it needs to be repaired, so i'm stuck with a laptop.

Today I tried to setup an LP on the online game Dragon Nest, but the frame rate was horrible in the recording.
THEN I tried playing Star Wars Knights of the Old republic but this software has problems recording full screen.

Does anybody have any game suggestions you would like to see as an LP series? Preferably something that will last awhile, like an RPG? D:
Actually disregard that, I think I found a game to play. Hopefully.

Last edited:

Soi

Resident Griffon
Years
I'm trying to start up some LP series' but I'm busy with school and never force myself to get a good session in for recording :/

rave of shaggy

Red Mage
Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2015
An alternative to the Let's Play series could be just Long Plays. this will allow people who is shy about their voices and do not have the software or knowlege about recording commentary to allow them to put their videos up.

taken from wikipedia :
A longplay is a play-through of a video game, created with the intent of completing it as fully as possible, mainly for the purposes of nostalgia, preservation, and possibly as a walkthrough. Also, for people unable or unwilling to play a certain game, yet wish to know and experience its story, a longplay can be viewed simply as a long digitally animated movie. Unlike speedruns, there is no time constraint aside from those imposed by bandwidth/filesize concerns.

The defining characteristic of a longplay is that few shortcuts, if any, are taken to finish the game. Dull moments may be ultimately edited out of the final video, and sidequests may be ignored, but in general every task necessary to reach the end is to be recorded, including cutscenes.

Another suggestion could be having pokemon community website make it own youtube accoutn to showcase all the let's play videos and other videos .

Years
Ok guys, been thinking and such and these are some of the things I have got in mind. Been a good moderator and writing it all down! XD

• Beginners Guide - Includes such things as good practise, what you can use out there, tips on uploading, so on so on. (Would be covering everything that goes into planning, making, uploading, as well as what software is available to you and so on for this, so will take some time).
  • Challenges and Events - Challenges would be I set a certain game that people have to complete in a set amount of time or do a challenge in one aspect of the game. Events would be around the same but bigger, so something much wide scale and longer over a period of time.
  • Announcements - Forum wide this would be, get more traffic and such. Can't obviously spam the forum as a whole, but one every now and then when big events are on, which could hopefully hold members intrest long term.
  • EMBLEMSSSSS - Always a fun one. I have created emblems that are ready to rock n' roll, with existing ones in the system. These can range from being given out on events/contests/challenges only, to regular activity to outstanding LPs, but this is for my desecration. Not going to make it obvious am I. :P

That is what I have just thinking for a bit, not much, but something I can work on.

I am struggling to think of how to get more members to post in other peoples threads. Anyone got any ideas? It isn't as easy as it sounds when you really think about it.​

Cello

Tonight!
Years
An alternative to the Let's Play series could be just Long Plays. this will allow people who is shy about their voices and do not have the software or knowlege about recording commentary to allow them to put their videos up.

taken from wikipedia :
A longplay is a play-through of a video game, created with the intent of completing it as fully as possible, mainly for the purposes of nostalgia, preservation, and possibly as a walkthrough. Also, for people unable or unwilling to play a certain game, yet wish to know and experience its story, a longplay can be viewed simply as a long digitally animated movie. Unlike speedruns, there is no time constraint aside from those imposed by bandwidth/filesize concerns.

The defining characteristic of a longplay is that few shortcuts, if any, are taken to finish the game. Dull moments may be ultimately edited out of the final video, and sidequests may be ignored, but in general every task necessary to reach the end is to be recorded, including cutscenes.

Another suggestion could be having pokemon community website make it own youtube accoutn to showcase all the let's play videos and other videos .

I didn't know there was a long play category. That's how my Kirby 64 play through was without even realizing it.

And as for that second suggestion, I didn't like it at first glance, but now that I think about it that might be a pretty good idea.
There are channels like this on YouTube already such as NintendoBuzz that's basically hub for all Nintendo Related LP series on their site from a variety of different users. It's a good way to get people to watch a variety of LPers, and it could bring in YouTubers to the community.

The thing is the LPers make separate series for that channel only, rather than re-upload a video from their own channel to the community channel.

This would require someone dedicated to keep it up, though.

Ok guys, been thinking and such and these are some of the things I have got in mind. Been a good moderator and writing it all down! XD

• Beginners Guide - Includes such things as good practise, what you can use out there, tips on uploading, so on so on. (Would be covering everything that goes into planning, making, uploading, as well as what software is available to you and so on for this, so will take some time).
  • Challenges and Events - Challenges would be I set a certain game that people have to complete in a set amount of time or do a challenge in one aspect of the game. Events would be around the same but bigger, so something much wide scale and longer over a period of time.
  • Announcements - Forum wide this would be, get more traffic and such. Can't obviously spam the forum as a whole, but one every now and then when big events are on, which could hopefully hold members intrest long term.
  • EMBLEMSSSSS - Always a fun one. I have created emblems that are ready to rock n' roll, with existing ones in the system. These can range from being given out on events/contests/challenges only, to regular activity to outstanding LPs, but this is for my desecration. Not going to make it obvious am I. :P

That is what I have just thinking for a bit, not much, but something I can work on.

I am struggling to think of how to get more members to post in other peoples threads. Anyone got any ideas? It isn't as easy as it sounds when you really think about it.​

Sounds good, i'll be sure to participate in the events!
As for getting people to post in threads, that's a tough one...You can't force people to post in threads, so this might be something that has to be left to the thread owner in making sure they're providing interesting content or a reason for viewers to respond to their thread.

All I can think of is to encourage the LPers to be proactive in their threads by asking the viewers questions and chit-chatting with them.

EDIT:
OH CRAP, Why didn't I think of this sooner? Remind the users to find a nice but catchy way to advertise their LPs in their signatures!
This worked out well for me when I was doing LPs. I made a nice banner linking to the thread in my signature so that way when I posted elsewhere in the forum other people would see it.
Usually people will just make a text link but that tends not to catch peoples attention as much as a banner.
Maybe someone (Me?) could make a variety of different generic signature banners that LPers could use to advertise their thread(s).

Last edited:
Years

taken from wikipedia :

OMG you ninja'd me when I was typing up my post! XD

Thank you for the reply. I actually like the idea of the Youtube account. I will have to look into it and see how feasible it is to create and run.

Members are more than happy to create a longplay, but maybe including it in the beginners guide and what it is. So thanks for reminding me about it! :3

EDIT:

Thanks for your comments Cello, I like hearing your comments! :)
I will certainly take them into account! :D​

rave of shaggy

Red Mage
Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2015
"Complete Super Metroid in under x hours" or certain game that people have to complete in a set amount of time" is referred to as a speedrun

again from wikipedia;

A speedrun is a play-through, or recording thereof, of a whole video game or a selected part of it (such as a single level) performed with the intent of completing it as fast as possible, optionally under certain prerequisites, mainly for the purposes of entertainment and competition. The term, a compound of the words speed and run (as in "running" through a game, referring to the playing of a game) is only used in the context of games that were not originally or primarily designed with fast completion in mind (one generally does not speedrun a racing game; in those cases the game's standard setting for achieving and recording fast times is called a time attack or time trial mode).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedrun#cite_note-TimeAttack-0http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedrun

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
For me not doing it its definatly more the talking side. I am happy to do gameplay without talking but an actual lets play I think people would find boring. Gettig some new gear soon and will probably actually start doing lets plays.

I think capturing the right sort of audience is a good thing I mean there are already lots of lets plays for popular games. I am thiking about doing some of my favourite childhood games like digimon world Absolutely love that game.

I will say that I personally watch a lot of the LPs here that aren't pokemon ones. I liked the sim city one that was done (made me re-get the game) but I never really post as I have no idea what to comment.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
For me not doing it its definatly more the talking side. I am happy to do gameplay without talking but an actual lets play I think people would find boring. Gettig some new gear soon and will probably actually start doing lets plays.

Solo commentating can be pretty nerve racking, especially once you realize that at the time of recording the only person you're talking to is yourself.
A helpful thing to do is just get a general idea before recording of what you're going to talk about. You don't want to write a full on script, because you'll get fixated on saying what you wrote down, and if you mess up on the script you'll likely stumble. If you have nerves about coming off as boring you definitely don't want to try and wing it, since you'll likely end up rambling.

What I mean by getting a general idea beforehand is by knowing what you're going to be going through while recording your video. If you're playing a game you're familiar with, talk about things you remember when you played the game in the past, like how you like the song to the stage you're on, or how challenging this level was for you the first time around.
If it's a game you're new to, try to focus on talking about the things that are new to you.
Some other things to avoid that turns viewers off is complaining, recording while you're bored, or speaking in monotone.

Once you get enough feedback and feel comfortable recording while commentating, winging it becomes easier and you can start talking more naturally. Also, if you have friends commentating with you it becomes a cakewalk.

I think capturing the right sort of audience is a good thing I mean there are already lots of lets plays for popular games. I am thiking about doing some of my favourite childhood games like digimon world Absolutely love that game.

I will say that I personally watch a lot of the LPs here that aren't pokemon ones. I liked the sim city one that was done (made me re-get the game) but I never really post as I have no idea what to comment.

That's a very good point, and I think you should play Digimon World. It always make recording LPs much more fun when you're playing an old favorite of yours, and even better it's a game you don't see being played by LPers very often.

Also, you're point about posting a comment on the thread is another good point, showing that LPers have to give the viewers something to respond to in order to receive feedback! : P

ChainedTeapot

Let's Player
Years
I think it really just takes a bit of practice to getting into how you would want to commentate your videos and get into the way of things. No harm giving it a go and see how it goes. Might be easier to do post narration, as in record the footage then narrate. At least for me I find myself with more things to say once I've recorded than recording live but I find it more fun recording live & having fun is one of the main parts of it I thin, obviously having others have fun while watching is good too mind you. I really want to play Digimon World again, been years and is still one of the few PS1 games I still have, even though apparently the PAL version can't be completed so I guess I can't finish it, would be good to see a Let's Play of it though.

Not really got much to add myself but a lot of the ideas mentioned already sound good, I quite like the sound of a Youtube channel, even though as mentioned really depends on how people would be dedicated to it. The badges and extra help threads sound like good ideas as do the challenges.

I understand the not knowing what to comment on for LP's as in general I mostly just comment on LP's by friends, even though I do watch a good amount of them. Then again I am a fairly quiet person when it comes to that sorta stuff, I guess others might be or there just isn't anything in particular to comment on.

Years
Finally got around to comprising a guide on making an LP and such, so that has been done and is at the top of the forum now under 'The LP Guide to Glory'.

More stuff if to come, still considering the Youtube account and such. With the Youtube account, I could do tutorials and such but, not sure it would be needed now...​

Back