• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If I could turn back time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I'd probably say stick to your idea and never give up. I inevitably gave up rom hacking because I didn't have the time. That's what highschool and now college is doing to me. Now I spend all my time lurking PC occasionally to see if there is something new. God damn it I need to get back into romhacking.

Sephiroth2009

Banned
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2011
I wouldn't go back and do anything. The tools I used when I started were the hard ones back when Scizz and others like Zel were on the scene. I hated the old scripting methods and elitemap. Many other tools as well. Eventually it was made easier with the newer tools we see updated today.

So I think I learned at a reasonable rate. I'm now very good at scripting thanks to past mistakes.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I'd tell myself to immediately try mapping, ask my friend about tile inserting so I could be the best of the best when I'd be in the position to make a hack (have a team, for example).
I'd also try to convince myself not to waste any time in scripting... lol

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I would tell my past self to actually make your first hack not immature with random maps,swears, and people talking like they're texting all the time. :)

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I would slap my self several times and say something like "DAMN YOU'RE SO GOOD".
I actually liked failing a couple of hacks, cause when I look back on some of them now they were pretty ridiculous and not to mention some of the features that I wanted were beyond my knowledge. I'm going to look at this post tomorrow or so and say the same thing but w/e. Well the bolder reason is because I got better as I gave up on the hopeless stuff. Oh, I'd also backup my hack thus saving me months of wasted time ;)

Snivy063

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
I would teach myself to insert tiles as I really don't get how even though I tried following tutorials and stuff, failure. -.-

Years
I'd tell myself to keep a few back-up copies and to not replace all of the back-ups -.-
The consequences... were depressing...

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I'd tell myself to stop procrastinating and get down to hacking. At the end everything seems to be easier when u just stop thinking and dive into it. You figure things out on the way and u get that awesome feeling when u do manage to figure something out urself for example scripting. I spent too much time trying to find some1 to help me script and teach me how to script instead i shud of just tried an error it wasn't hard at all. Shout out to diegoisawesome he was the key that unlocked my scripting brain. but yeah stop wasting time and just get into it.

Ray F

' Friendship > Chuck Norris
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 14, 2016
I would tell my past self to have more patience, that I/he wasn't gonna get everything in a weekend, that I/he shouldn't give up at the first mistake.

Sadly to this date I still haven't learned that lesson.

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2011
i'd salp myself in the face then say "stop all this bleep and learn scripting!"

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
If I could turn back time, I wouldn't teach the "past" me anything, because the past me had motivation. Motivation to do and to try, no matter how many times I failed. In my opinion, if you want to progress, you're going to have to stumble on a few pebbles. That guy was enthusiastic, he was.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
Tips:
-Make a basic outline of the game's story
-Get a small testing group. Could be online people or people from school. It'll also help to make a FreeWebs website or even your own domain to organize your stuff better.
-Learn how to count in hex. You don't have to know how to translate, just know how to do very basic addition and subtraction with hex numbers.
ex. 10 - 1 = F
-Discover Diegoisawesome's XSE Tutorial and Seth's XSE Tutorial. Seth has a list of used flags that I refer to a lot. Diegoisawesome basically describes every single command. You don't need to memorize everything before making your game, just know how to start a script, compile a script, etc. Knowing how to use flags is great too.
-NEVER USE PERSON ID'S IN THE 2000'S RANGE. ONLY USE THEM IN THE 1000'S AND 4000'S RANGE. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO IMAGINE THEY'RE IN HEX, JUST USE THEM LIKE NORMAL NUMBERS BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE A THOUSAND FLAGS IN ONE GAME. (Sprites will reappear if you use flags in 2000's range if you setflag 0x[person id] after while)
-Know your limits when music hacking. For example, some tracks can't have music that's too long or have too many instruments.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
I could use that future self of mine rght now....but for now, I would tell myaelf where to get programs. It took me hours upon hours to find the right ones and I'm still not done....

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
pokemon hack, please don't bump threads that haven't been active for over a month.

R.I.P in peace, my thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back