• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Super Rising Thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
<3 And play it you shall someday. :)

And now to move on to...

Traps

As you crawl through Super Rising Thunder!'s Dungeons (and its Mini-Dungeons, as well), take each step forward cautiously - for you never know when you might end up triggering a Trap! Traps in SRT work much like they do in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - they are hidden tiles on the Dungeon map that cause a variety of effects, both positive and negative. Some types of Traps have a chance of not working when you trip them, and some types of Traps (mainly Swarm Traps and Sticky Traps, though this effect only comes into play in later Dungeons) can be manually disabled by throwing Rocks on them. Other Traps will work all the time, every time, just to give you trouble. XD

Image102.png

So far, there are ten different Traps, but I am eager for suggestions for other Trap ideas. If you have an idea for a Trap (please don't suggest Trap concepts that require ASM, such as damaging Traps or status effect Traps!), by all means let me know! The more variety in the Traps, the better :)

• Warp Trap:
    This Trap works just like its PMD counterpart does - trip it, and it'll warp you to a random location somewhere else on the map. XD
  • Sticky Trap:
    This Trap is similar to its PMD version. This Trap picks an item at random. If you have at least one of that item; it is rendered sticky and unusable, and is lost. If you don't have the Item that the Trap targets, lucky you! The Trap fails to work, and you get off scot-free. :) Sticky Traps in later Dungeons will try to take more than one of the targeted item away from you - imagine losing five Hyper Potions in one blow :( But you can save your Items (sometimes) if you have a lot of Rocks (what you earn from Battles, instead of currency). Later Dungeon Sticky Traps will sometimes give you the option of avoiding their ill effects by throwing a quantity of Rocks on them.
  • Chestnut Trap:
    This Trap works differently from its PMD counterpart. There; it's a damaging Trap, but here, stepping on the prickly painful Chestnut startles you into dropping Rocks (in other words, you lose money, and have less of it to throw at Traps, and less of it to use to heal yourself...). This Trap can fail if the random amount of Rocks it "decides" to try to take from you is more than the amount of Rocks you currently possess.
  • Slowpoke Trap:
    This Trap works in the same spirit as its PMD version - trip it, and you're slowed down. In other words, your ability to run is taken away for the rest of the Dungeon (or the rest of the floor, for bigger Dungeons). You'll be able to run again once you exit, or when you spawn on the next floor. :)
  • Pitfall Trap:
    This Trap works the same way in PMD. Trip it, and you fall back down to a lower floor. This Trap, of course, appears only in multi-floor dungeons.
  • Swarm Trap:
    Step on this Trap and you'll be attacked by Flash-born; all in a swarm. These Traps take the place of Trainer battles in SRT - they are often placed in unavoidable areas; and the battles can't be run from. You can, however, in later Dungeons, disable these Traps by throwing Rocks at them - generally, a way to try and escape with your hide intact when you're out of items and low on health...
  • PP Trap:
    Works much like its PMD counterpart. Step on this Trap, and it drops the PP of a random move known by the Team Leader to zero. This Trap always targets whoever's first in your party; for a maximum obnoxiousness factor. XD
  • Present Trap:
    This Trap works like Delibird's favored move - Present, of course. If you're lucky, the Trap will heal you and your team. If you're UNLUCKY, however...the Present explodes, and triggers a Swarm Battle. In some Dungeons, taking your chances with a Present Trap will be your only way to heal, short of using items...
  • Uplift Trap:
    This is a good trap - step on it, and it heals you and your team as quick as you please :) They tend to be difficult to find; and some Dungeons may not have one at all...
  • Exit Trap:
    The exit, of course. Because Dungeons are meant to be explored to their fullest; they will always ask you first if you're really sure you want to leave. Make sure you have all the Items you want to carry out of the Dungeon with you, because in many cases, once you leave you can't go back!

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Again, I'm speechless.
This is one of the best ideas ever :D

You could also include Poison Trap (that inflicts a status problem), I guess.
But it's not a very original idea.

Oh and I hope you plan to replace Potions and Ethers with natural items, such as fruits, berries and plants. :)

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Again, I'm speechless.
This is one of the best ideas ever :D

You could also include Poison Trap (that inflicts a status problem), I guess.
But it's not a very original idea.

Oh and I hope you plan to replace Potions and Ethers with natural items, such as fruits, berries and plants. :)

*blushes* Thank you...though of course, I owe plenty to PMD for the ideas XD

Status problem Traps are an issue because there doesn't seem to be any way to do them simply through scripting - they'd require ASM, which is beyond my capabilities ^^'

And I did just that - all those man-made items have been suitably renamed. :) Hyper Potions in the above post, for example, are known as Prikear Berries (after the prickly-pear fruit) in-game. XD Most items are renamed after a Berry, but some that just don't fit that mold find inspiration in other natural sources - the Macho Brace becomes "Heavy Log" (though I can't imagine much EV Training going on in this game XD ); EXP Share is a "Forget-me-Not," and the Shell Bell becomes a Bluebell, for example. ^^

starterra

The Zoroark Trainer
Years
If you'd like, I can fix up a nice first post for you and PM it to you, so that way you can have all the new info like the videos and such on the first post. It would be the least I can do for my favorite hack, right?
Oh, and I nominated you for the HOTY in much more than one category.
EDIT: Sucks you weren't chosen. Not fair, actually. This hack deserves a lot more attention.

571MS.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Maybe a trap that takes you up a level a the next floor? A very useful one. :3

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... traps, eh? Ah... those memories of the Traps in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. So they have made a return, eh? Wonderful! I do remember the trap that appeared in that last video you showed us all. As I see those traps are modified to suit the game's engine, I see.

Just to correct some of the names of the traps... it aren't called a "Slowpoke Trap" I'm pretty sure it was called a "Slow Trap".
And the Uplift Trap is actually called a "Wonder Tile".

And I'm sorry if I'm correcting things out for you, I do understand if it is your decission to have the names different.

But here's a suggestion:
Maybe you could change the name of "Exit Trap" to "Exit Tile" instead?

Oh and also... if you'd like... you could add a Poison Trap as well... so that a Pokémon would become poisoned if you stepped on it.

starterra

The Zoroark Trainer
Years
Oh and also... if you'd like... you could add a Poison Trap as well... so that a Pokémon would become poisoned if you stepped on it.

:\
Pink Parka already said that she can't, because it's not scripting, it's... oh yeah, it's called ASM :)
That's too bad, though.

571MS.png

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
I've just gotten around to watching the last video. This game is just ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Everytime I think "No it can't possibly get any better, no way", it suddenly does. :D The story has really captivated me and I just want to know more and more and more about how this world works. The attention to detail is staggering, even down to the way the Chu's talk. If there is a beta then I'll be half excited, but then I'll be knowing that it won't be the full story and I won't find out what happens, but then again the game is so... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :O

You haven't just created a game, you've created a whole universe!

Oh, and may I offer my congrats in getting 3rd place in the 'Best Story' Hack Of The Year 2010 comp. I know I voted for you. ^^ For a game in the Progressing section that has no playable beta yet to get that far is a fantastic achievement, and it's a real testament to your epic story-telling ability. It's really well deserved and I hope it's the first of many awards.

Keep it up PPG - you've already got a dedicated fan in me. ;)

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2019
Maybe a gust trap that sends you randomly in any direction like on PMD.

EDIT: By the way SRT! looks amazing, keep up the good work. Cant wait for a beta. :)

Last edited:

starterra

The Zoroark Trainer
Years
PPG? I just thought of something. What's going to happen to TMs and HMs? Turn them into some rare berries that teach you new moves? Remove them entirely?

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Ok... I just HAVE to say this is officially my favorite hack out of them all, and I haven't even played or really LOOKED at any of the others. I have always been a fan of the PMD series because you got to be a Pokémon, rather than a "trainer". This? It takes that concept to a completely new level. I almost can't even believe it's actually a RUBY hack. It looks, and even feels, like you hacked PMD to do all of this! You have done an absolutely WONDERFUL job, and I will support you in every way possible. Maybe I should really learn ASM, so I can help you with using it. As it seems, you're already a quite competent scripter, spriter, and musician. Even so, I'd love to help you on this project. I definitely support this hack, and will be adding it to my signature momentarily.

To sum my thoughts up... Your hack exemplifies the reason I'm a Pokémon fan. I would love to see it as a finished product, and you are also now my favorite Rom Hacker.

PS: Your hack actually gave me ideas on how to make a Pokemon-only game, much like yours =D I doubt it'll be as good as yours is, but hey, you never know. =P

Edit: OK, I've looked at Pokemon Identity, and I like it, but your hack so far is still my ultimate favorite. =D

Last edited:

Blazesaga

Even heroes can lie in shadows
Years
This looks like it's going to be a great hack, and i've watched the revised intro videos and wow was that deep. (first time i've ever seen blood in a pokemon game, hack or real, verry unique)

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Christmas pressie for you PPG (and everyone else who is a devoted to this game as I am). I've been all garphic-y all day updating my profile and I thought I'd do this. May I present Pirca:

pirca1.png

I didn't draw the original myself unfortunately ^^' (though I'm working on it), I actually Photoshopped this image: http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg446/schrei_photo/Pokemon/pichu2.gif

Look at me giving credit. :shocked: It's a Christmas miracle...

And here's a more-stylised-less-basic one:

pirca2.png

The logo I came up with on a bit of a whim - makes it look more pro. It's up to you if you want to use it or not. If you like it then it's not a problem for me to do a hires version of it ^^

Anyways, Merry Christmas. ^^ Hope you have a good one!

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
Christmas pressie for you PPG (and everyone else who is a devoted to this game as I am). I've been all garphic-y all day updating my profile and I thought I'd do this. ...

<snip>

Anyways, Merry Christmas. ^^ Hope you have a good one!
I think they look pretty good. I like the logo... but not sure if it fits the hack. PPG will have to decide on that. Nonetheless, it looks good =) I wanted to quote your whole post... but it wouldn't let me. xD

VoltShark

This is war...
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2014
This game... just wow. I don't know how, but somehow you keep thinking outside of the box, paying much more attention to detail, like the blood on Momo, than most hackers I've ever seen has. The music is perfect with it, and the scripts seem flawless. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I don't know why I just discovered this gem but I love it. The Mom death scene definitely won me over. AMAZING! I can't wait for a playable version of this hack as I have always loved PMD styled hacks. The attention to detail is impeccable. Also I love that the great black one is a tire. It adds to the realism for me. I could actually see forest animals worshiping something as inconsequential to us as a tire.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
Voted for this on Hack Of The Month because its different from other hacks. Good luck mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back