• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: How did you discover Rom Hacking?

PokemonyellowX

Team Black Forest owner
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 4, 2015
i found ROM hacking when my sister`s friend came over and he had a-map and a ruby rom so here i now type owner of a hack and a ROM hacker for 2 years

Serial ATA

Newcomer
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2017
I should thank all the ROM hackers at Japan for introducing me to Touhoumon, and that was two years ago when I barely knew what PokeCommunity was. It was from a fellow friend and ROM hacker (y halo thar Aquamentis) that I got to know this place, so yeah, there's nothing special for me to say. I'm also striving to learn the essentials about ROM hacking, since I'm planning to work on one in the future, so please bear with this would-be ROM hacker.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
I was bored one day and searched "Mario funny" which lead me to many bloopers and such of the mario world. I learned about cheats from alot of these, and I was interesting in learning more, which lead me into emulators. I continued searching these videos for amusment, until one day I found the user now known as envoyofthesword. He did the standard stuff, but he hacked pokemon too! My mind was blown. I continued to search these, and learned what hacks were. I searched them for amusement, but before you knew it, I was hacking myself because I loved it so much.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I was introduced to it by a good friend of mine online (who I haven't seen since 2009) and he showed me a lot of stuff. Showed me how to find certain things, as well as different formats and how they work properly. I started making rom maps since mid 2008, and I'm still continuing. In early 2009, the first level editor I was introduced to was Lunar Magic (for Super Mario World) and I learned a few things about that sort of hacking too, like music (which I actually learned first) as well as GFX and level editing.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Oct 7, 2014
In 1999 0r 2000 when I searched in Yahoo for the English release date of Pokemon Gold and Silver and instead found Vida and PR's wonderful translations.

Do I win?

(P.S I almost crapped my pants when I logged in and saw my profile and name still exist)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2013
It was during the time when I was looking for a new Pokemon game on Youtube and discovered whole new games such as Pokemon rijonAdventures, Shiny Gold, Liquid Crystal, and the like. I was looking for a download link of Pokemon Reign of Legends which can be only found here. I realized that those weren't official ones until I got here in PC which had gotten me interested over making my own Pokemon game.

Cloyster93

who's gun is this rifle?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 24, 2015
I saw a Shiny Gold video on YouTube and from there, discovered this site.

Only dabbled so far, and not done anything of note, but it's fun all the same!

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2023
It was a combination of me looking for pokemon roms and finding different mods and then my friend showed me an article with porkemon creepy black and we joined a fourm with it after we looked into modding the original cartridge and it would be too much work.

ROBO-BOY

The Monkey Man
Years
Mine was Pokemon Rijon Adventures.

I was on my laptop one day when my brother came in and gave me some normal Pokemon roms on a USB. He had gotten it from a friend, he had said. Anyway, in the Original Roms folder, I clicked on Fire Red. Whoever patched it, didn't change the name of the file, which I soon found out. Rijon was cool, and I loved it. Truth be told though, I really want Baro to make a hack where there are much more events in Quartz, and change Govolts to someother Pokemon, coz I wanna battle Ash with Peezgal! :D

Years
I started learning about rom hacking because of Mewthree! xD I kept hearing of this fanmade Mewthree so I randomly searched it up one day when I was bored on Youtube. "Pokemon Chaos Black Mewthree" I thought it looked so cool. Then the comments said "HACK!" "CHEATED!" And I was confused. I searched up something like "Pokemon Chaos Black Hack Mewthree" then there was one video that said how to make a Mewthree sprite that I watched. Then in the sidebar it said how to replace Pokemon in rom hacks and so I clicked that. That's how I was introduced to unLZ.GBA. In the sidebar was also this crazy stuff: Advance Map, A-tack, Advance Text...
And then I learned about a whack a hack or whatever that website is called, and I get all my tools for rom hacking from there.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 5, 2012
Probably youtube but I don't remember :S

However I DO remember that I searched around about it and came here a whole lot, then after a while, I joined.

droomph

weeb
Years
Well I remember looking up "Pokemon Hacking" on Google for ****s and giggles. One thing lead to another, and after about four months I got signed up to PC. Then about two months later I made my first post and wonderful things have happened since then.

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
Back in 03 or 04, I was really into looking for information about the release of FRLG. That's when I discovered emulators and roms. I played through the Japanese FR, and then a thought occurred to me - since the games are available on the computer, what if we could change things in them? That's when I started googling for awhile, and a few years later I found this website. I tried hacking GBA games, but back then I knew hardly anything, so I spent a few years researching and learning how to do small things. Now, I'm much better :)

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Oh gosh, it started in '07. When Pokémon Crater and its forums closed down, I had nothing to do on teh internetz Pokémon-wise, so I decided to do a little screwing around on YouTube. And whaddya know, I found a video of "Pokémon ShinyGold," did a little more research on the term ROM hacking and found a video by a gentleman named Foullump about how to download ShinyGold... which brought me here.

So everything is all thanks to Zel and Foullump, really. You guys have no idea how great you are.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
For me, when I was about 7 I found out about ROM hacking, and I thought it would be sooooooo cool to make a town... I ended up trying to hack Pokemon Emerald, and gave up because I was, you know, 7. I picked it back up recently, and now I actually understand how to hack. :D

Lord V-Man

Casual modder
Years
In my case it happened very similar to almost everybody else: Youtube. I'm a big fan of watching Let's Plays and I found an LP of an unorthodox game... the good old Pokemon Brown. When I saw those videos I was amazed about all the things you can do with those games, so I did some more research on rom-hacking, gathered some tools and started experimenting :)

Back