• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Speaking of assignments, what do y'all use for typing up documents? Word? OpenOffice? Or whatever comes with the computer?
LaTeX. It takes forever to learn, for ever to write and is more programming than writing, but documents look so much better than writing them with office software. Also there are so many libraries to use. You can even draw Petri Nets or trees if using the right library.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
My Macbook Air is my main computer I use at home. I may sometimes use the desktop downstairs if no one is using it (that's usually early morning :P ) and use that to watch anime since it can deal with 10bit anime better than my laptop can.
Least used will have to be my tablet since I use it for school work and it's not often I get to use it in class.

As far as office suite's go, I'm using Libre Office since it's free. Don't ever have to see that annoying green line saying 'Fragment, consider revising' >: I have all my school work backed up on my dropbox account since I can access my work anywhere.

Years
I guess I really should consider cloud services such as Google Drive for assignments when I start college soon! :) I do know that Google Doc is good with spreadsheets as I have used one there before, but not to a regular extent. And placing schoolwork documents into a Dropbox folder seems like a really good idea as well.

I usually only use Dropbox to host images personally that I want on the internet, but just ones that I ever may potentially want to delete. The one thing I dislike about them though is their 2GB limit. -_-

Years
It's perfectly okay to change the topic if one goes inactive, and in this case, it did. ;)

And I had no idea that the SNES/N64 used the same video cable for the GameCube.. but I guess that does make sense. After all, the PS/PS2/PS3 have the same type of cable as well, and my brother loaned me his PS3 A/V cables to use with my PS2 and they work fine.

Years
Now y'all are really making me want to find another AC adapter for my NES.. I havent had one for it in so long, and it's still a fully functional too.

By the way, does anyone have a recommendation (away from Ubuntu) of a Linux distro to use on a spare laptop I have? Just an excuse for me to try something new :p

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
By the way, does anyone have a recommendation (away from Ubuntu) of a Linux distro to use on a spare laptop I have? Just an excuse for me to try something new :p
You could try ElementaryOS. Even though it's origins lay in Ubuntu and Mint it looks kinda interesting. Also it's a rather new distro and uses some rather unknown programms for daily stuff.

If you want you could even try Arch Linux or Gentoo but it takes a lot of time to get these installed xD

Years
You could try ElementaryOS. Even though it's origins lay in Ubuntu and Mint it looks kinda interesting. Also it's a rather new distro and uses some rather unknown programms for daily stuff.

If you want you could even try Arch Linux or Gentoo but it takes a lot of time to get these installed xD
I wound up trying ElementaryOS, and it does seem like a good OS I'd use.. I also really like the dock it comes with, as it kinda has that OSX feel to it :P but I didn't install over it. Is there a way for me to install it inside of Windows for dual-booting if you know+?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hah...

My laptop's hinge and screen bezel decided to give out today. At least the internal wiring is intact, so the laptop is, theoretically, usable, but I'm not taking any chances and I'm going to get it serviced come next Monday (as they're off for now).

Sure looks funky, though.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I don't even know. Open lid, bam. Pieces of the left hinge fell out, and the screen bezel gets detached at the bottom-left corner.

Perhaps I should also look for a backup computer... or maybe Toshiba might give a loaner in the meantime.

Years
It definitely never hurts to have a backup computer because that way you'll still at least be able to access the internet, though maybe not all your programs.

If you don't have a spare, then I would at least hope Toshiba gets you a loaner.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm kind of stuck with a laptop that must not be closed or taken out for the time being. Monday can't come soon enough.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
I wound up trying ElementaryOS, and it does seem like a good OS I'd use.. I also really like the dock it comes with, as it kinda has that OSX feel to it :P but I didn't install over it. Is there a way for me to install it inside of Windows for dual-booting if you know+?

Mint is pretty sexy too. (That's if you use the Cinnamon desktop anyway)

My usual proceedure for dual booting is to ad an entry for the linux install to the windows bootlloader with EasyBCD and then installing the distro as normal. Not too complicated.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
this is where we learn about the magic of pets and iPods.

I wish I could say that, but I need the laptop for assignments and stuff. Oh well.

Maybe this is a good time to look up on used/refurbished laptops. Just in case the main laptop breaks again. Perhaps a netbook would be a cheap, usable choice...

Years
Yeah, that's why I probably have plans to get a new laptop for Christmas, for once I start college I'm going to need it for assignments.

And for netbooks, the only reason I would want to go after one of those is if I was really limited on space, but most of the time, I'm not. My parents have a netbook (albeit they never use it and won't let me have it), and it's really small, so I probably wouldn't like owning one.

droomph

weeb
Years
I wish I could say that, but I need the laptop for assignments and stuff. Oh well.

Maybe this is a good time to look up on used/refurbished laptops. Just in case the main laptop breaks again. Perhaps a netbook would be a cheap, usable choice...

Or maybe a desktop for everyday purposes and printing?

Sure, it sucks to have to deal with two computers when you print something or whatever, but use something like Dropbox/iCloud syncing and it'll be easier.

Speaking of technology, I feel like I shouldn't have bought all three games… I'm running out of money ;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back