• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: OWM: OverWorld Manager

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
How about a toggle for the gender of the sprite (which decides whether text color is red or blue in FR)? Research here.

Also I'd rather a save button than auto saving or whatever you have.

Last edited:

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
How about a toggle for the gender of the sprite (which decides whether text color is red or blue in FR)? Research here.

Thats a really nice feature. I hadn't even noticed something like that even existed. I'll try implementing it

Also I'd rather a save button than auto saving or whatever you have.

A save button would mean that I'd have to save the rom in memory, work with the memory-rom and when the save button is clicked it would write the memory-rom to the original rom.

Pros: Speed, as all of the reading and writing would be done in the memory witch is way faster
Cons: There is a risk of over-writing data if someone would edit the rom with OWM and one or more tools at the same time.

Right now OWM constantly accesses the rom and any change is automatically writen there. It is slow yes, thats why it takes time to repoint the original table, but its also safer. Thats the main reason I preferred it from manually saving. Except if the save button can be done with a different way :P

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Hey I was trying to play with the new toy today, but it isn't working for me?
I attempted to insert a simple
Type: 3 [16x16]
Frames: 1
But I keep getting the error:
The size should be 96x128, yours is 16x16

I tried to use "Add OW" (selecting those options, of course) followed by "Import OW (Sp. Res).
Am I not meant to simply scroll down to the overworld in the "OW ID's" section and click on it?
I don't understand where it is getting 96x128 from. The overworld that is selected IS 16x16 with only 1 frame :/

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
Hey I was trying to play with the new toy today, but it isn't working for me?
I attempted to insert a simple
Type: 3 [16x16]
Frames: 1
But I keep getting the error:
The size should be 96x128, yours is 16x16

I tried to use "Add OW" (selecting those options, of course) followed by "Import OW (Sp. Res).
Am I not meant to simply scroll down to the overworld in the "OW ID's" section and click on it?
I don't understand where it is getting 96x128 from. The overworld that is selected IS 16x16 with only 1 frame :/

In the Sprite Options, Import OW (Sp.Res) and Import Pokemon (Sp.Res) are meant to import pokemon and ow sprites from the spriters resource sheets.

Specifically:
  • Import Ow (Sp.Res) needs as input a file like that
    ow1.png
    which is 96x128
  • Import Pokemon (Sp.Res) needs as input a file like this
    Dusknoir.png
    which is 64x128

Now, if you want to simply inert the frames for an OW you'll have to do it with th Import Sprite Frames Button. Bear in mind that you cant import one frame with this button. Your image will need to have all of the frames specified in the toy. (Yes, if your OW has only one frame then it will import your image)

The reason you got this warning message is because you tried to insert your sprite's frames with 'Import OW (Sp.Res)'. But, because your image was 16x16 and not 96x128 the toy gives you that warning.

Solution: Import you image with 'Import Sprite Frames'

hope it helps :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
In the Sprite Options, Import OW (Sp.Res) and Import Pokemon (Sp.Res) are meant to import pokemon and ow sprites from the spriters resource sheets.

Specifically:
  • Import Ow (Sp.Res) needs as input a file like that
    ow1.png
    which is 96x128
  • Import Pokemon (Sp.Res) needs as input a file like this
    Dusknoir.png
    which is 64x128

Now, if you want to simply inert the frames for an OW you'll have to do it with th Import Sprite Frames Button. Bear in mind that you cant import one frame with this button. Your image will need to have all of the frames specified in the toy. (Yes, if your OW has only one frame then it will import your image)

The reason you got this warning message is because you tried to insert your sprite's frames with 'Import OW (Sp.Res)'. But, because your image was 16x16 and not 96x128 the toy gives you that warning.

Solution: Import you image with 'Import Sprite Frames'

hope it helps :)
Wow >_> I feel dumb. I even remember reading that in the read me or something, but then I mixed it up and thought it was the opposite way. Thanks :D

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
What does it mean by Number of OWs when you are going to add a new OW?

How many OWs you want to insert. If you leave this field empty it will just add one OW. If you make it five for example it will import five OWs (they will have the same number of frames and type).

It's mostly there for the convenience of those who know the number of OWs they want to add or insert. So instead of adding them one by one they can insert them all at once. It will just save them some clicks

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
THX
That's what I thought...
Whats the limit on OW without JPan's hack?
Probably 240.
@Kimonas I have another question :/
Could you explain what addresses/method you used to determine whether or not there are multiple tables? I'm not using JPAN's engine, but I did expand beyond 256 Overworlds using his source code. But I rewrote some parts, and when I try to open the ROM I was working on, it only has OW Table 1 -> Overworld 0. It isn't loading my tables the correct way, so what exactly is the tool looking for? This seems like the most convenient way to add OWs beyond 0xFF, but I can't seem to get it to work without using the specific engine patch, despite my routines being fine in game :/

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
Whats the limit on OW without JPan's hack?

I think its 256, but OWs 240 and up are used for secret bases/union room. Check this tutorial (part 2.5)

@Kimonas I have another question :/
Could you explain what addresses/method you used to determine whether or not there are multiple tables? I'm not using JPAN's engine, but I did expand beyond 256 Overworlds using his source code. But I rewrote some parts, and when I try to open the ROM I was working on, it only has OW Table 1 -> Overworld 0. It isn't loading my tables the correct way, so what exactly is the tool looking for? This seems like the most convenient way to add OWs beyond 0xFF, but I can't seem to get it to work without using the specific engine patch, despite my routines being fine in game :/

When the rom is loaded an object of the RomInfo class is created (OWM.py in the beginning) which then loads all the necessary data and addresses from the rom.

Every rom has three pointers for the Palette Table. OWM checks all of the possible pointer addresses and if it finds a set of three pointers that point to the same address it assigns the corresponding name. In OWM.py, line 32-33 is where this happens. Check the set_name and set_info functions for exact details.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
Hey, nice work, but what about adding support for other language roms as well?

You could just add an .ini file that allows hackers, that either use a foreing rom or repointed their offsets using this tool of yours as well. Since just supporting a few roms is kinda lame...

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
Hey, nice work, but what about adding support for other language roms as well?

You could just add an .ini file that allows hackers, that either use a foreing rom or repointed their offsets using this tool of yours as well. Since just supporting a few roms is kinda lame...

Thank you very much! :)

Yeah, support for an ini would really make this tool more flexible. Actually, I've almost implemented the support for an ini. Just polishing some things.

The ini will look like this
sample.png

Also, I changed the code a little bit. It first loads the rom's name from address 0xAC (*) and then loads the corresponding addresses from the ini. This way people could add their own profiles (for example [BPRI] and then the addresses in the given format) and the tool will load the correct addresses when the rom is opened

(*) After it loads the rom's name it will check if JPAN or DSLN is installed and load the respective profile. Also, since many people use Mr.Dollsteak's base if the rom's name is MrDS it will treat it as a normal Fire Red (and then check for JPAN)

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
my rom crashes in overworld editor. after using your tool

That's because OWM repoints the original table when a rom is loaded for the first time. To fix that open up the Sprites.ini of Overworld Editor. In the Sprite Bank for your rom insert the address of "Data Address" and in the SpritePaletteHeaders insert the address of "Palette Table" from OWM.

INDIAN MEW(ARAZI)

THE WORLDS MOST DUMB MAN
Years
That's because OWM repoints the original table when a rom is loaded for the first time. To fix that open up the Sprites.ini of Overworld Editor. In the Sprite Bank for your rom insert the address of "Data Address" and in the SpritePaletteHeaders insert the address of "Palette Table" from OWM.

thanxxx

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
When you insert a sprite joe for not shaking his head

google translate

I am Brazilian.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Been using this for a couple of days now. Great little tool!

Would be good if we could edit the palette index number to accompany the 'palette cleanup' system. As it seems if I import sprites with the same palette it registers it as a new palette.

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
Been using this for a couple of days now. Great little tool!

Thank you very much my friend! Glad to see people like it :)

Would be good if we could edit the palette index number to accompany the 'palette cleanup' system. As it seems if I import sprites with the same palette it registers it as a new palette.

Actually, that is a really good idea ^_^! I'll implement that in the next update

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
Would it be possible if there could be an option to re-order the frames of each OWs? Say for instance, I will import a OW sheet of Volcanion... Since OWM will automatically split the frames and assign to its default frame number/position...

Back