• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] The truth behind the Brass Tower Incident...

Years
HI There PokeCommunity! This is my first post on the forums. I've always been a big fan of world building via Pokemon Theory and I feel Pokemon Gold, Silver & Crystal gave us the threads to a really delicious and I just wanted to share it here to see what you guys think. I should stress I did test the waters and posted this on Reddit as well where it is by far the most popular thing I've ever posted so I hope you all enjoy it too. Because there really aren't many groups out there which try to indulge creative ideas like this.

When it comes to Generation II, I've always found it to be rather overlooked when it comes to theory crafting. However when I was playing HeartGold recently doing Oak's Challenge (DON'T DO IT) it gave me the chance to really look at Johto in greater detail and when I was paying attention to the history of Ecruteak City... a few things really struck me about the Burnt Tower Incident. Most of the focus when fans look at this incident is who the 3 dogs were rather than the circumstances of the storm itself and... well... let's get into that.

Now I'm sure almost everyone on here will be familiar with the Events of the Burnt Tower but I'll recap for those who don't. In Ecruteak City in the Johto region there exists Two Towers, The Tin Tower and The Brass Tower where legend has it the legendary bird Pokemon Ho-Oh and Lugia once roosted. On one tragic night the Brass Tower was struck by a bolt of lightning which caused a fire in which three Pokemon (suspected to be Eeveelutions but that's a theory for another day) perished. Following the tragedy Ho-Oh! resurrected the 3 Pokemon as embodiments of the Lightning that struck the tower (Raikou), The fire which incinerated the tower (Entei) and the rain that doused the flames (Suicune) .

So what exactly is the Mystery here? We know what caused the fire, it was the Lightning from the storm but the question I want to pose is, What caused the storm?
If you've read up on the lore you may notice there's one particular element of this legend that really doesn't get mentioned... Lugia.
The games make it abundantly clear that Ho-Oh! roosted within the Tin Tower which would strongly suggest Lugia roosted within the Brass Tower that was burnt down.

Now let's take a look at Lugia's Pokedex entries.
HeartGold: It is said that it quietly spends its time deep at the bottom of the sea because its powers are too strong.
Platinum: It sleeps in a deep-sea trench. If it flaps its wings, it is said to cause a 40-day storm.
Alpha Sapphire: Lugia's wings pack devastating power — a light fluttering of its wings can blow apart regular houses. As a result, this Pokémon chooses to live out of sight deep under the sea.

All of these entries seem to imply that Lugia fears it's own powers because it can accidentally cause storms. My theory is that Lugia's powers may have caused the storm in which the Brass Tower was destroyed and then fled to the Whirl Islands so nothing like it would happen again. What do you guys think, am I just being harsh on a Pokemon that's been dealt a harsh hand or is there more going on here than we originally thought.

But hey it's just a theory, A game theory! (Sorry, I just wanted to do that just once)

Years
This is actually really interesting and not something I've ever given thought to before. Great theory, and one I'll definitely be supporting from now on! 👍

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Aw, if that even has a hint of truth I feel bad for Lugia. :( Poor thing.

Would love to hear about your Eevee evolution / Dog trio theory too!

Years
There is a strong possibility that could of happen, I like the theory and support it , the only question I have is what caused lugia to release its power?

Years
Aw, if that even has a hint of truth I feel bad for Lugia. :( Poor thing.

Would love to hear about your Eevee evolution / Dog trio theory too!

Bless you fairy, that's actually really sweet. I feel the same way, it'd be so tragic if it were the case.

As for the Legendary Dogs being reincarnated Eeveelutions, for me it totally makes sense. The stat distributions of the Eevelutions as well as their affiliation with the Kimono Girls of Ecruteak City it fits so well. It may only have thematic evidence but I think it fits really well.

This is actually really interesting and not something I've ever given thought to before. Great theory, and one I'll definitely be supporting from now on! 👍

Yay! Thanks Sheep, I'm really glad you guys enjoy the theory. I hope more people check it out if they get the chance.

There is a strong possibility that could of happen, I like the theory and support it , the only question I have is what caused lugia to release its power?

Honestly a really good question. Honestly it could've just been a complete accident or maybe something scared Lugia. Of course it's all speculation but the reason I like this idea is because Lugia always felt glossed over in Gold & Silver especially in regards to the Ecruteak City. For me, it would totally make sense and actually kind of makes me love him even more.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
This sounds likely. I've never considered Lugia's dex entries before, but it makes perfect sense now that you explain it :D

Years
This sounds likely. I've never considered Lugia's dex entries before, but it makes perfect sense now that you explain it :D

Cheers dude. I always enjoy it when they give us enough pieces to paint a picture for ourselves and I really like this idea that Lugia was important to Johto after all.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Agreed with others that this is a fairly interesting and neat theory! Might be a neat fanfic idea tbh on that idea...

Back