• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Older cards more my type?

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
I prefer the older cards as they remind me of the fun when I was younger,
I am a perfectionist and completionist to be fair, and when this comes to pokemon cards, especially the new series this can be done very fast but its expensive.

Should I sell my current dragons exalted/boundaries crossed cards and just go for the 1st and 2nd generation as it would probably mean more to me,
What I have against this is opening packs is fun and they look more cool and fresh.

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
If you'd just be willing to spend more money for less cards, you could start investing in sealed boosters and boxes of old series.

Theme decks aren't that expensive, but boosters can get pricey.

But it would give you the best of both worlds.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2016
Here's a rough price guide from Ebay.

Booster Packs
Base Set Unlimited (Up to $20).
Base Set Shadowless (Approximate $50)
Base Set Shadowless 1ST EDITION (Generally upwards of $200)
Fossil & Jungle Unlimited ($7-8)
Fossil & Jungle 1st edition ($10-11)
Gym Heroes and Challenge Unlimited ($8-9)
Gym Heroes and Challenge 1st edition ($11-12)
Team Rocket Unlimited ($6-7)
Team Rocket 1st edition ($8-10)
Neo Destiny Unlimited (Approximate $16-20)
Neo Discovery Unlimited (Approximate $11)
Neo Genesis Unlimited (Approximate $15)
Neo Revelations Unlimited (Approxmiate 15)

All of those in 1st edition are generally $15-25 dollars, EXCEPT Neo Destiny which can be around $30-60 for 1st edition).

Booster Boxes
Team Rocket Unlimited ($200-240)
Fossil Unlimited ($250-300)
Jungle Unlimited (250-300)
Fossil 1st edition ($300-350)
Jungle 1st edition ($300-350)
Base Set Unlimited ($450-650)
Base Set 1st edition ($6,500+)
Pokemon Gym Challenge Unlimited ($300-320)
Pokemon Gym Heroes Unlimited ($200-240)
Pokemon Gym Challenge 1st edition ($425-475)
Pokemon Gym Heroes 1st edition ($350-400)

Theme Decks
Base Set Unlimited ($25-30)
Base Set Shadowless ($40-$80)
Team Rocket ($15-20)
Jungle (15-25)
Fossil ($15-25)

As you can see some options can get a tad pricey but i money is no barrier you'd consider any one of those, barring the 1st edition booster box.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2014
Boosters for many of the early sets easily hit $10 per pack. Just a friendly warning. If money's no object then I guess the price will be no problem!

How is this expensive? MODERN boosters cost $10.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Atm I've nearly completed base/jungle/fossil, but I wanna go for rockets and gym too, then on to the 2nd gen etc, ill probably buy a booster pack now and then for the fun of it, but yeh it should be fun

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2013
Imo when buying the older cards its always worth buying somebody's old collection second hand. As long as you confirm they are in good condition and no fakes you should be fine. Plenty of people on ebay are sellig their old cards. In fact I got some in the mail today. Someone's old collection consisting of 500 + cards and I got some amazing cards from original sets through to Neo and GYM :D You can get more for your money unless you prefer the excitement of boosters. And you can then fill in any you are missing after :)

Back