• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kickin' it Old School! - Original 151 Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
d3vVL.png

dpiconani137.gif
Kickin' It Old School!
Welcome to Kickin' It Old School, the fan club for the First Generation of Pokemon! This club was created to celebrate the original generation of Pokemon. If you like the Kanto region or any of it's many amazing Pokemon, this is the club for you.
dpiconani137.gif
Rules
-No spamming/trolling
-Keep discussion on topic
-Follow all PC rules
-Partner Pokemon can be any Pokemon out of the original 151.
-Partner Pokemon can be nicknamed.
dpiconani137.gif
Signup Form
Name:Partner Pokemon:
Answer to current topi
c:
Reason for Joining:

ex.
Name: Elgyem
Partner Pokemon: Scyther
Answer to current topic: Pokemon Red
Reason for Joining: Many of my favorite Pokemon are Gen. I Pokemon, and I quite like the Gen. I games.

dpiconani137.gif
Members List
Elgyem -
dpiconani123.gif

Ryker-
dpiconani131.gif

LilJz1234-
dpiconani025.gif

SNOR(es)LAX-
dpiconani143.gif

RoreyG-
dpiconani006.gif

xVaporeon-
dpiconani134.gif

Chaos Fork-
dpiconani142.gif

dbp-
dpiconani030.gif

dpiconani137.gif
Userbars
None yet
dpiconani137.gif
Current Topic
Which Generation I game (Red, Blue, Yellow) was your favorite?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Just a quick note - please remember to keep discussions focussed only on the first generation Pokémon and not the games/region, otherwise the club becomes a copy of the Gen I forum. Thanks! :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
Nice, back to the classic first gen.

Name: Ryker

Partner pokemon: Lapras (not ma favourite but a good pkmn none the less!)

Answer to current topic: Pokemon Yellow

Reason for joining: To have fun tbh!

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Nice, back to the classic first gen.

Name: Ryker

Partner pokemon: Lapras (not ma favourite but a good pkmn none the less!)

Answer to current topic: Pokemon Yellow

Reason for joining: To have fun tbh!

I've always appreciated Lapras myself, it's a wonderfully tankish high-DEF mixed attacker. Anyway, you're in, welcome to the club.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Name: LilJz1234
Partner Pokemon: Pikachu
Answer to current topic: Which Generation I game (Red, Blue, Yellow) was your favorite?: It would be yellow, it followed the anime and it was the first time ever to have the Pokemon follow you behind :)
Reason for Joining: I grew up with the first gen. It has nostalgia written all over me :)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Name: LilJz1234
Partner Pokemon: Pikachu
Answer to current topic: Which Generation I game (Red, Blue, Yellow) was your favorite?: It would be yellow, it followed the anime and it was the first time ever to have the Pokemon follow you behind :)
Reason for Joining: I grew up with the first gen. It has nostalgia written all over me :)

Wow, a lot of love for Yellow version so far. Welcome to the club!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Which Generation I game (Red, Blue, Yellow) was your favourite?

As I said before, please remember to keep discussions focussed only on the first generation Pokémon and not the games/region as otherwise the club becomes a copy of the Gen I forum. Otherwise this club will have to close. Let's not get it off to a bad start :) I'll suggest a basic topic for people to answer for now until you come up with a new one:

What do you think is the most interestingly designed Gen I Pokémon and what do you think are its origins?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Articuno. I just love it's design.

Since the legendary trio of Johto came from Ho-oh, maybe these ones came from Lugia :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Name: SNOR(es)LAX
Partner Pokemon: Snorlax of course!
Answer to current topic: I think that all Pokemon in this Gen is just so interesting, so I can't really choose one.
Reason for Joining: I love Kanto and the Original 151, whats more, even though I am quite young, Red was my first Pokemon game.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Name: RoreyG

Partner Pokemon: Charizard (my dear friend)

Answer to Current Topic: Arcanine. I'd like to think that he is the first Psuedo Legendary Pokemon to be introduced (given that he was originally supposed to be part of Kanto's Legendary Trio with Articuno and Zapdos).

Reason for Joining: Playing Pokemon Red was a defining part of my childhood and (believe it or not) helped shape the kind of person I am today.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Name: RoreyG

Partner Pokemon: Charizard (my dear friend)

Answer to Current Topic: Arcanine. I'd like to think that he is the first Psuedo Legendary Pokemon to be introduced (given that he was originally supposed to be part of Kanto's Legendary Trio with Articuno and Zapdos).

Reason for Joining: Playing Pokemon Red was a defining part of my childhood and (believe it or not) helped shape the kind of person I am today.

Name: SNOR(es)LAX
Partner Pokemon: Snorlax of course!
Answer to current topic: I think that all Pokemon in this Gen is just so interesting, so I can't really choose one.
Reason for Joining: I love Kanto and the Original 151, whats more, even though I am quite young, Red was my first Pokemon game.

You're both in. Welcome to the club!

As for the new topic, I'd have to say that Scyther is the most interestingly designed of the Gen. I Pokemon. With Scyther, Game Freak took the concept of a Praying Mantis, added blades, and created something remarkably badass.

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
Name: xVaporeon

Partner Pokemon: Vaporeon (if you didn't guess already, haha)

Answer to current topic: I think the most interestingly designed Pokémon from Gen I is Gyarados. I love the detail that was put into it - it's so elegant and beautiful yet intimidating :) I also love the old Chinese legend about it's origins - if a carp could successfully swim up to the mountain top and jump down the waterfall (can't remember the exact story), it would turn into a magnificent water-dragon. This stuff fascinates me! :P

Reason for Joining: I don't think the Gen I Pokémon are credited enough, really. Of course, everyone remembers them, but I actually feel sorry for younger ones growing up with the Pokémon we have today, not that they're bad or anything, but I have to admit I prefer the older ones. I've basically joined to help show that people do remember them, and remember the best story lines ever that were in the anime. :) I remember the first ever episode I watched - the one where Charmander's trainer abandoned him and I cried so hard! So, I caught up on all of the episodes and never missed one. Seriously. If I had to go out, I'd beg my mum to let me watch the episode first. :P It's my favourite generation and it had my favourite trio - Ash, Brock and Misty!
Ah, nostalgia!

Chaos Fork

Anything Goes
Years
Name: Chaos Fork
Partner pokemon: Aerodactyl
Answer topic: I'd say Kabutops. It evolves from an...oyster? It also has bare bones for claws
Why did I join?: I wanted to join another club

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Name: Patrick
Partner Pokemon: Neeee-dooooh-reeeee-naaaaah~
Why'd I join: Because my memory is spotty and the only Pokemon I can remember most of the time come from the first generation. Most of my favorites are from there, too, but that's probably a side effect of the first reason.

Current Topic: Er, I don't really think any of them are extra special. In a way, that's what either makes them great, or what makes them bland depending on the person's viewpoint. I think from an illustrator's point of view who loves detail, other generations have been better. From an animator and character designer's PoV, though? Designs from later generations are atrocious and unnecessary. You're going to get way way WAY more pencil milage out of the first generation, trust me.

There's a reason the designs became more streamlined in the first generation in the first place. Compare Sugimori's Red/Green art to the way the Pokemon look now. Check out how much asymmetry is in the old designs. Cool, right? Now try drawing those little details in an animation over and over and over and over and over again. And that's just for a 5 second bit of footage. :P Do this again for months, and you've finally got an episode. Oh wait, you're not finished yet, now do the other 51 episodes! You can see why they made stuff easier over time.

I symphathize with animators, so I like the first 151 because they're simplistic. Though I'd agree Gyarados probably has one of the more complex designs.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Welcome to the club, everyone!
There's a reason the designs became more streamlined in the first generation in the first place. Compare Sugimori's Red/Green art to the way the Pokemon look now. Check out how much asymmetry is in the old designs. Cool, right? Now try drawing those little details in an animation over and over and over and over and over again. And that's just for a 5 second bit of footage. :P Do this again for months, and you've finally got an episode. Oh wait, you're not finished yet, now do the other 51 episodes! You can see why they made stuff easier over time.

I symphathize with animators, so I like the first 151 because they're simplistic. Though I'd agree Gyarados probably has one of the more complex designs.
Yeah, the simplicity of the original 151 is something I can definitely appreciate. Sometimes the new designs can be a bit much, and the older Pokemon are a nice relief. As for Gyarados, I do agree that it had one of the most complex designs of the generation, but then again, it's a Chinese Dragon, and Chinese dragons are overall more complex.

I guess this is as good a time as any to change the topic. New topic: Which gym leader gave you the most trouble in the games? For me, it'd be Misty. That damn Starmie, it always beats me.

Chaos Fork

Anything Goes
Years
For me it was that grass one. OK, I was playing HG when I was fighting her. Yeah, I chose Totodile. With no fire or flying types on my team.

Also, I found the poison one hard too in HG. Not the fight, just getting to her. INVISIBLE WALLS?!

Last edited:

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
New Topic: Excluding the Chamander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Pikachu lines, if you could choose any evolutionary line from the original 151 to be your starter, what would it be?

Mine would be Growlithe without a doubt. I'm most partial to Fire types and Arcanine is one of the best Pokemon I've used in any game.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
The answer to this question (and almost any other question) is Nidoran Female. Every time. All day long.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
Name: LittleCubone or LC
Partner Pokemon: Cubone
Answer to current topic: I have to say that I would start with a Nidoran(f) just like DPS because I love Nidoqueen. Definitely one of my favorites.
Reason for Joining: Because I'm kickin' it ooooold schoooool! Haha. I started with Red. I ALWAYS have an original 151 on my team no matter what. You can't go wrong with Kanto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back