• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever been bullied/teased for liking Pokemon?

Years
I've was and has been teased and criticized for liking and playing pokemon too, and you know, i still play it without a care what others think, because i think what comes from the teasing, is people ridicule from what they watched from the anime at the time especially the old episodes. And if anything pops up with Pokemon to people in general, the first thing that will come to peoples minds is "Ash and pikachu" sadly, not just the gaming,

why say that? I loved the older episodes of the anime, just as much as I do the games...

yes it is a kid's show but so? though...I think in some ways I see your point, awesome anime but pig dung ignorant teenagers watch a few seconds and suddenly know everything about Pokemon *sarcasm*

Random

-
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2008
why say that? I loved the older episodes of the anime, just as much as I do the games...

yes it is a kid's show but so? though...I think in some ways I see your point, awesome anime but pig dung ignorant teenagers watch a few seconds and suddenly know everything about Pokemon *sarcasm*

Im not saying theres anything wrong with the older episodes, its just the way things are, or at least the way i see things because it just seems thats where everyone picks up on it as the core where they pick on you mentally, but its just like you said arrogant teens/adults watch it and don't know anything about at all, because of what they see, they don't know.

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2007
Shallow men

It's tough being at school. When you're an adult you get to choose who you work with. Not so at school.

The hive mind of the playground situation generates a remarkable uniformity of opinion, dress, hobbies, etc. If you don't fit in with the pattern, you will probably be singled out and bullied. There's nothing unique about Pokemon in this regard. You could equally well be interested in some other niche such as science, poetry, chess, dance, or whatever.

The thing to bear in mind is that it is those who dare to be different that make real changes in the world. The bullies will end up as shallow men, contributing nothing and being forgotten.

Last edited:
Years
It's tough being at school. When you're an adult you get to choose who you work with. Not so at school.

The hive mind of the playground situation generates a remarkable uniformity of opinion, dress, hobbies, etc. If you don't fit in with the pattern, you will probably be singled out and bullied. There's nothing unique about Pokemon in this regard. You could equally well be interested in some other niche such as science, poetry, chess, dance, or whatever.

You make good points, but for me Pokemon was a particulary big one, outside of Sonic it was in relation to interests the worst period of bullying I ever received, I got some for Doctor Who, but the show's failry popular so that saved me a little bit of greif on that one, but none for Pokemon and Sonic at all.

It confused me at first, everyone was bringing their Pokemon cards in like mobile/cell phones in Year 6, I come into Year 7...everything's totally changed, I didn't get the world of teenagers and to be honest...5 years later I still don't

Years
i keep getting dumped on and bullied because i like pokemon and star wars.I attacked a kid one time because he really piss*d me off.didn't end pretty as he happend to be a popular idiot guy.his posse took all out on me and one other of my friends.

Yeah...kids like to play gangs alot, stupid hyenas...

they ask for it alot of the time too

In case you didn't notice I have a deep hatred of other teenagers.

Years
I've been made fun of all the time for playing Pokemon, but there's enough people at my school that play it too so I don't really care.

Occaisionally I'll see somebody playing one of the older Pokemon games, but with the popularity of the DS, I see lots of people playing D/P all the time.

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
Years
It happened to me in elementry shcool, but I gave everyone the idea I "left it" and I still like it in secret only my best friend (that also likes it) knows that I do.
icon12.gif

Years
Sorry to hear that...:/ Hope you do okay though

just don't let anyone get an idea you don't like trying to be normal, don't like being a jackass, and you'll be fine.

But back to the subject of Pokemon, how is it any more childish than some other things? some teenage girls had Pooh socks on, I wore no Pokemon stuff and still got it worse! How unfair is that!

Azonic

hello friends
Years
lol, I have. But I just kick them in the throat for saying it.

a ha ha, good times.

0.0; but I got in trouble. but it was funny, they nearly cried. lol

shalashaska

ocelot
Years
im out of school i finished last year so bullying isnt a problem for me, but if i was still at scholl i would probably get bullied a bit, i wouldnt care i would just tell them "yeh whatever, go be a emo or some other trend thats hot nowadays" pokemon pearl has been the first pokemon game i have played in about 5 years!!! the last game i played was crystal, every now and then i talk to my mates at work and there like, is the nintendo DS good?? cause i wanna try the new pokemon game" (cue looking around so they make sure no one popular is looking or hearing) i tell them that i play it and that its very good, hell i told my friend who was a former pokemon fan and all he did was laugh and say "oh god" i told him "what mario getting a bit boring now". even my parents asked, "why are you playing that kids game your 18??" i just look at them and say" no, why?? is it a crime to play a kids game? no it isnt, its a fun game to play and i dont care what other ppl think or say" now i still have my pokemon cards in my cupboard even though i wanted to sell them but couldnt gather the courage too, i still have every single one i had, even the ancient Mew, and promo dark chameleon that was insode kraft cheese slices in australia, just thinking of the old days bring bang cool memories, after i get a fulltime job i mihgt start collecting the cards again, hell maybe i will have a few card battles with my bro.

i dont care if ppl call me a child just because i play pokemon, to tell you the truth i spent $120 on a transformers G1 cartoon boxset containing 17 dvd's and then i went out and bought the original cartoon movie for another $30, does that make me a kid or a nerd no way it makes me a person who likes the Stuff that WAS popular.

remember kids just cause you play pokemon, watch transformers, read comics or whatever. it doesnt make you a nerd or a kid, it makes you a person who likes older etertainment and it makes everyone else a idiot for not understanding

~Mithos~

- Three Days Grace -
Years
well I lost half my friends at zchool because I used to play runescape, if they knew I was part of a pokemon community where you could trade and battle online i'd be the source of all jokes.

Tina

Secretly Hoardes Persians
Years
I feel really sorry for all of you. I'm very open about my enjoyment for Pokemon. I'm not screaming it on the mountaintops, but when I want to pull out my DS and start playing, I don't feel uncomfortable to do so.

I'm a college student, and no one looks at me differently. A few of my friends play Pokemon, and actually, my best friend and I were trading at work and we had people coming up to us confessing how they play but in secret.

I think if you don't make a big deal about it, no one else will. If someone starts making fun of you for it, ignore it or just say things like, "You know, I really can't focus on this battle with your comments at the moment." The second you try to defend yourself or "explain" why you still play Pokemon, you've let them win.

I don't know, maybe it's because I just don't care what people think, and that's why I'm not so affected by this. I don't think you should hide what you like to do.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
I'm not mature :D

I have a lot of pokemon loving friends. And a lot that aren't. They don't care about what I like and what I don't. It doesn't matter.

I have many friends(and many enemies too, and I kick their throat :D)

ピクシー

c l ef a b l e -
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 10, 2009
I remember in 1999/2000 Pokemon was Popular. Eventually it got "out of fashion" but I kept liking it, just in secret. Then when I started my college course I found all my classmates like it too. n.n I'm lucky I guess.

Back