• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Types

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
When building a team, what types of Pokémon do you usually catch? Do you try and implement as many different types as possible (Eg; 6 dual-type Pokémon would equal 12 different types overall which would give you a huge advantage in battle etc), and which types do you tend to avoid using altogether? Obviously this doesn't include Monotype/Monospecies challenges lol.

For me personally I always go for the basics. Every team i've made has included an Electric, a Water and a Flying (The latter mostly for the benefit of being able to use Fly to reach places more easily). The rest of my team is made up of a type with few weaknesses, or one which has high attack/defensive power such as Psychic, Dark or Ground. If I have a spare space and I didn't choose a Fire-type starter, I usually fill it with a Growlithe/Arcanine or Houndour/Houndoom.

Types I avoid are Normal (Dunno why, i'm just really not a fan of having Normal type Pokes in my team), Poison (Just a preference really), Bug (Obvious reasons - too weak) and Grass (Weak to too many types and the effectiveness against Rock/Ground and Water is covered by my Water and Electric types).

What about you guys? What do you go for when building a team? =)

Years
Well, I don't have a formula for making a team...most of my teams are pretty eclectic. That being said, there are a few trends I've noticed...

I always have a Water-type. ALWAYS. Even on the monotype challenges I've done, I'm pretty sure that I've never been without a Water-type (i.e. on my Grass one I had Ludicolo, and on my Dark one I had Sharpedo), because 1. I like Water-types and 2. It's a pain without them there to use Surf. Aside from that, I don't think there's any one type that's a must-have for my team. I usually have a Psychic type (which is almost always Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam or Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir, though I mostly replaced this with the Gastly series in G2), and Fire types, Dark types, and Electric types frequently find their ways onto my team. If I have a means of getting a good Ice-type early enough in the game, I'll do it, but they're generally more difficult to come by until later in the game. I also use Flying fairly often, usually for Fly as you said.

I usually avoid Fighting types (never really liked any of them; exception in G3 when I almost always have Blaziken), Rock types (too slow for my tastes; again, exception in G3 with Aron/Lairon/Aggron), Normal, Poison (the last two don't have any type advantages I could use, so I generally neglect them), and Bug (cause, well, it sucks, although I have played through several games with Bug-types on my team).

Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 10, 2015
I write down ALL the pokemon types.
When I catch a pokemon I want in my team. I cross off the type it's effective against or could learn a move that is effective against it.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
Years
Whether consciously or not, My team always includes 1 Fire-type (usually Ninetales or Arcanine), one Water or Ice-type (usually Tentacruel, but I've used Cloyster), 1 Electric-type (usually Magneton/Magnezone or Electrode), one Ground-type (usually Marowak, Gliscor, or Claydol), a Xatu, and some variable type to fill in any gaps (usually Steel [Bronzong, Metagross], Bug [Yanmega, Ninjask], or Ghost [Dusknoir]).

Lynnx

half listening.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 11, 2009
I build teams around my starter Pokemon. In every game, though, I always have an Electric-type, a Flying-type caught early in the game, a Fire-type, and a Water-type. Other than that, I just add Pokemon to the team that I like.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
Years
Without fail I always have a Fire type, a Water type, a Psychic type and a Flying type.

I almost always have an Electric type, but I used a Roserade in Platinum. (Though I did give an electric move to my Gallade.) Dark and Ground types are almost always part of my team, and I try to keep a slot open for a Normal Pokemon, since it's my favorite type. If I can, I double up Fighting with another type I want (Blaziken, Infernape, Medicham, Gallade) since it comes in handy for Dark types.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
I use all the types I can. I write down the types (or I'll type them up into the computer), and I'll get rid of the ones I'm using. I usually have a nicely formulated team. But I don't catch the dual-types to get all the types; that's what the moves are for. =P​

Feathing

Water Gym Master
Years
My regular team would be something as:

1-Water Starter
2-Flying/something else (Tropius, Skarmory, Natu, Swellow)
3-Grass
4-Fire/Electric/Psichic
5-Water again (usually water/electric or water/ground)
6-A normal one, or may be a phantom.

Like you all see, I usually don't have direct types... I always have special types ^^

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2009
In-game is the easiest thing to beat. I literally just catch my favorites and look for those magic words: It's super effective! Infernape is pretty much the best thing for any team, being able to learn things like Close Combat, Fire Blast, Grass Knot, and even Thunderpunch for maximum all around coverage. Other than that, having some bulk can never hurt. Shellos/Gastrodon is superb because it takes so many hits and can deliver hits back moderately hard. Bulk is what makes it so good in-game.

Competatively, it gets more difficult, so I'll ignore it.

The Dragon Master Is Back

Go For It Gengar
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 2, 2009
What I Would Do Is Get My Starter and for example its a water type...
then I'd catch a fire type
flyng type (early in the game)
grass type
pshycic type
and to finish it off a dragon type...
:):):) Smiles are contagous :):):)

Ayselipera

I always get a fire, water, electric, grass, and flying. I find that is the most balanced team. Fire, water, and grass all cover each others weaknesses. Electric is great for flying, and flying water types like Gyarados. The flying pokemon is mostly for getting around with the HM fly, but its also great againt fighting types. My last pokemon is whatever pokemon of my choice. Every once and a while I'll leave out a grass or electric type and get a differnt pokemon that I have been wanting to have. 99% of the time though its Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Flying, and 1 other type. I also make sure all my pokemon are evenly trained.

Back