• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Good,Bad and Ugly Moments

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I never actually screamed when I did it, but I found the Distortion World puzzle very hard to do, but eventually I figured it out on my own.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I got both the Adamant and Lustrous Orbs in Mt. Coronet before beating Platinum. I talked to the elder in Celestic and went to Mt. Coronet, expecting Dialga or Palkia to appear randomly, but it turned out that Dialga had to be encountered first.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I've never screamed but I've had some parts where I got really frustrated. Once I came across a shiny Skarmory in SS and I kept throwing Poke Balls at it for 20 min. I threw Great Balls, Poke Balls, Ultra Balls, etc but it broke out of every single one of them and it had 1hp left cuz of Scythers False Swipe. Then about 2 minutes later when I didn't have any Poke Balls left Raikou appeared. Oh I was so angry.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Coming back after a week onto Platinum, in the middle of Victory Road. I can't even explain how frustrated I became in a matter of seconds, attempting to navigate my way. Like going up a few rocky steps and then noticing a dead end >:|.

I also loathe Ice Puzzles. Candace's gym really had me. I spent a few hours sliding around, trying to smash those huge snowballs in the middle. Then my sister did it and then the problem was ended :D.

Ice Cave was a slippery, huge, confusing mess. Sliding here and there, all around. The waterfall HM I heard had been in the Ice Cave. So for the next hour I searched the whole entire cave, head to bottom. Then realising it was at the end of a slippery path, I headed back to retrieve it raging.

The only other moment has been trying to get to the Spear Pillar. I forgot to bring a Pokemon with Defog and got confused in the fog. Being a silly person back then, I didn't even have Repels. I made it out alive, but it was really close...

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
There were a fair few threads that fell under this category so I felt it would be most appropriate to merge the three into one, whole discussion about everyone's good, bad and ugly experiences.

Merged.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I had the happy moment when I set my eyes on my first 4th gen shiny :)

I had the sad moment when I lost my 2nd 4th gen shiny :(

And finally I had the ugly moment when I got spammed by pokes in caves. I don't play for weeks sometimes because I get so frustrated.

Years
I think a great moment for me was getting to the League in Platinum in the space of about 5 hours in total. I didn't have the most balanced team of course, but I was impressed with myself.

The bad would be when I got to the League in HeartGold but was very underlevelled, and I really wanted to have a balanced team through Kanto, so I wanted to have it balanced by the League. It's not the WORST situation in the world, but it's so very time consuming, when there's literally nobody to train against.

And the ugly... would be in my very first Pearl file, when I reached Cynthia. Jeez, she was a very high levelled Champion- I managed to get her down to her Roserade, when I myself had like.. my Torterra left. I used a Revive on my Staraptor, and figured I'd risk attacking without healing it further. For some stupid reason, Roserade out-sped my Staraptor, and got a critical hit with Energy Ball, which shouldn't have been very effective anyway. This was at a stage before I saved in the league, since I thought losing was the worst possible outcome. Now I figure if you lose that far into the League, at least you get and experience boost :/

BiGoDeViN28

Psalm 141:3
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen May 26, 2013
The Ice path never showed me any troubles. I never had to experience it as a child and trying to get through it, but in HGSS, I went through it no troubles. I even got most the items out of it.

As for frustrating, Morty's Gengar. Miltank is difficult but Gengar would OHKO my entire team with Shadow Ball. Biff (my Pidgeotto) was the only one who could survive the Shadow ball being immune to it. So, setting up a strategy and inching my way through his HP, I finally defeated him.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
The Ice path never showed me any troubles. I never had to experience it as a child and trying to get through it, but in HGSS, I went through it no troubles. I even got most the items out of it.

As for frustrating, Morty's Gengar. Miltank is difficult but Gengar would OHKO my entire team with Shadow Ball. Biff (my Pidgeotto) was the only one who could survive the Shadow ball being immune to it. So, setting up a strategy and inching my way through his HP, I finally defeated him.

I forgot about Morty's Gengar! That thing was a pain! Especially when it used Hypnosis + Dream Eater Combo! It'd take out my team like no tomorrow. Other than his Gengar the rest of his team proved to be particularly easy, although the support his Haunter gave his Gengar through Spite did prove to have a substantial impact when my most powerful move was dwindled down, and eventually wasted so I was left with the only option of chopping down his HP pixel by pixel.

Years
I wouldn't call this a fail, but more of a surprising-angry thing.
I was battling Whitney on my new Soulsilver file, and something amazing happened. Here's the battle.
Gym Leader Whitney wants to battle! Whitney sent out Clafairy! -insert cute Clefairy cry here-
Ethan sent out Chewy! (my totodile, and yes, my character is a boy, explanation later.)
Chewy used Ice Fang! A critical hit! -40 hp to Clefairy-
The foe's Clefairy used Metronome! The foe's Clefairy waggled its finger and used Judgement!
I was like 'JHGFDRSLBAFW' (Translation: HOLY FLUFF!)
Chewy fainted! Ethan sent out Electra! (my spiky eared pichuuu)
Electra used Volt Tackle!
*BLAM*
The foe's Clefairy fainted!
Whitney sent out Miltank!
Me: OHHH NOOOO!!!
Electra used Volt Tackle!
Both Pokemon fainted.
FIN.

Jacka

PokéFan
Years
My favourite thing is probably the berry guy, when I first talked to the berry guy, my god I was in tears when he screams, "Shard de berry! Shard de berry!" and spins in a circle.

one thing that annoys me, is gym leaders using Hyper potions\full restores, god damn. I spent about twenty mins versing the Ectreak city gym leader...and the mahogany city! -.-

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 18, 2012
First time I played Pokemon Diamond in 2007. I had not yet gotten into competitive battling yet and I was still shaky at type matchups. When I was fighting the Elite 4, I couldn't tell what type Aron's Drapion or how to counter it. After 2 days of being completely swept by it, I finally found that it is weak to ground type moves. The only ground type move I had on my team (again, I was a noob) was EQ from my Torterra. I switched to my trusted started as soon as Drapion reared its ugly head. To my surprise/shock/super-rage, the blasted thing knew Ice Fang and OHKO'd my Torterra. I did the only thing a then-middleschooler would do; ragequit and not touch the game for a week.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
When im playing HGSS and people always call me when im trying to do something and they talk about stupid things such as how they're Magikarp is doing.

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2012
I had my Shiny Gyarados as team leader (My Krabby n Drowzee fainted) and then I encountered RAIKOU! I switched to my lvl50 typhlosion, but then, Raikou fled :(:(:(

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Good was when I caught a female Buneary for my Dawn-inspired team. Bad was when I didn't save my game when I caught the Buneary. Ugly was when my file got corrupted.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
My good moment was when I was EV training my Skarmory.. and I came across a Shiny.

My bad moment was when I was EV training my Skarmory.. and the Shiny used Selfdestruct.

My ugly moment was when I first came across Zubat.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
It was a good moment when i ran across a shiny in Platinum.

It was a greater moment when i caught that shiny.

It was a very ugly moment when i forgot to save.

weasel king

Cubone Lord and Dragon Master
Years
Well, this is kind of strange, but early on when you trade bellsprout for Onix; I wanted to name it Rocky, but you can't rename traded Pokemon. Well, I loved that it was already named it. I would have shouted "Yes!", but it was 10:00; I wasn't supposed to be awake or on the DS, and my brother was asleep.

Now that was kind of a weird Eureka!

When im playing HGSS and people always call me when im trying to do something and they talk about stupid things such as how they're Magikarp is doing.
Yeah, like the beggining where you are going back and forth so much.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
One of my most proud moments of playing Diamond version was obtaining DPBox <3 Yeah, it made my game freeze and I couldn't battle with it in my team, but it was so cool.

I also loved ARing to walk through objects (which is also how I got DPBox), resulting in discovering Spring Path (before I had unlocked it on my game) and thinking it was a hidden area. Oops.

Back