• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you play Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2020
Just, in general, why do you play it?

I find it especially interesting when I hear the reasons people say they enjoy playing pokemon, but at the same time don't like to battle/trade with others.

I myself play because I enjoy the gameplay, strategy, and battling with friends.
=]

Kippla

★ Pokemon Master ★
Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 4, 2013
I play to have fun and be the best I can be. Some of the knowledge I get in Pokemon can be useful too.

Majora's Wrath

Dingle Dongle
Years
I grew up (and still am) hardly seeing my dad. So my mom was really the only one home. I couldn't help but notice my trainer grew up the same. When I beat the game I was so happy, he had become the greatest given the circumstances he grew up in. It really did made me feel...not alone. So I just decided to stick with it, and I'm glad I did :)

Somma

The PokéGambler
Years
The storylines and soundtracks. And because Pokemon is a huge part of my life and can't really have enough of it xD

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
It's fun, I've been playing it since I was 7, and I love the simple-yet-complex battle system. I love to battle.

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
Years
Because I love watch smashing creatures into each other, making them roar in pain and anger as blood spews from their gushing wounds MUHAHAHAHA!!

In all seriousness though, because I like the lore, the ever expanding roster of characters/regions, nostalgia (big factor) and perhaps... Because I refuse to grow up.

Pokémon has been a part of my life for a VERY long time and it's the only thing that links my childhood to my adulthood since I never stopped enjoying it/playing it.
A link which transcends Time and Space.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
The combination of strategy and story that is put into Pokemon games keeps me coming back :P but it doesn't end there, one of the best things about Pokemon games is that there so good at passing time. Just looking at the time count on my games tells all...

Guy

just a guy
Years
Just, in general
... and let's move this on over to Pokémon Gaming Central where general game discussions about Pokémon take place.

I think the main and most important reason for why I play Pokémon is because of how much fun I have when I play, especially when it came to Ruby, FireRed, Diamond (Platinum is better, but I just played Diamond more before then), and most recently Y.

I find the story to be compelling enough and the use of strategy gives the games the much needed flavor they need for the challenge of it all. I also like to make up my own personal story when I play. I did that once in FireRed where I named the protagonist after my father and told of his first journey as a young trainer. Then I continued that story in Ruby with my first journey; I just pretended Norman was my dad's nickname for continuity purposes.

It's also something that has been with me since a kid, so I guess nostalgia plays a part in why I enjoy playing them so much too. Although, I love seeing how much the games grow and evolve as each generation goes by.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
I enjoy raising the Pokemon themselves, always have this sense of accomplishment when they get high level, especially if its a weaker Pokemon, which is partly why I don't pay to much attention have the perfect Pokemon.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
Well, I originally got into Pokémon when I saw a movie, but the games... I don't know. I just have fun playing it. I am one of those people who can do something and know (and say) "I like this" or "I don't like this". I like Pokémon. The battle system is intriguing and the characters and creatures themselves are loveable.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Generally, I like the Pokemon themselves. I like animals so Pokemon is a game that brings my interest. Also the battles and strategies I put in the game is also why I enjoy it. I like TCG and Strategy games and I like to see my strategies working so Pokemon brings me that thrill.

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
I have loved Pokemon since I was little. Why do I like it so much? I've always loved how my pokemon you could catch, battle and train! I also love trading and battling with my friend to see who's better.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
Peer pressure when I started. When the pressure died down, and the LoL pressure started (I hate LoL) I was kind of pushed away, so Pokemon is my comfort. I am loyal to it because it taught me to read faster, and find random friends on the Internet. :3

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I find it immensely fun! Catching and training all these different monsters, it has a lot of replay value. It's music is great as well.
I never thought I'd still be playing Pokemon today, but now I don't think I'll ever stop playing it!

Years
I've always enjoyed the concept. You can meet and catch these unusual creatures, train them, and grow a strong bond with them. It's such a basic concept but it works no matter how many new generations they come out with.

Now that I'm older, I particularly enjoy learning about the hidden intricacies in the game, like the meta-game. There really aren't many games out there that can be enjoyed by both casual fans and hardcore strategists. The fact that the games can sustain many types of players is fascinating.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I play Pokémon because, well, it kills time. I've been introduced to Pokémon games at the age of six, when my dad gave Pokémon Blue to me as a Christmas present. When I unwrapped it and stuck it into my GameBoy, I instantly became a fan. (:

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I love the series. I've been playing it for so long and it's what I do in my spare time. It's really fun and something I enjoy doing.

icelovebunnies9

Ghastly Dragon
Years
I honestly have no idea why I play Pokemon. XD I don't know, maybe it's interesting to me, or the whole gameplay and what not is cool. I just love to play Pokemon. But I normally get bored of it after a while when I finish the game because I have absolutely nothing left to do. I really hate doing that though. T^T

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
Because as a child I didn't really have friends and my family was either neglectful, or too busy for me. They bought me my first Gameboy and my Pokemon Red and Blue so that I at least had something to do and I just sort of threw myself into it since it was the only thing I really had. I stuck with it until I actually got friends and then fell out of it but, got back into it around 2009 and I love it even more now. The lore is amazing, the general history inside and out of the games in interesting, the gameplay and strategizing is great too and the games make you feel like, you have a home and helps you make good friends. Many of the people I'm friends with, I'm friends with because of Pokemon.

Years
I've been playing Pokémon since Red and Blue. I was in 5th grade, and didn't have any other game console, so Pokémon on the original game boy was awesome! I love how it had the ability to take me away from real life, from all the hardships I was facing, stuff like that. I love the magic it brought to my life. It still does. That's why I continue to play now, 17 years later :)

Back