• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Paper Mario: The Ancient Relics (OOC/SU)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023

Introduction

The Ancient Relics. Supposedly created at some point in time, they have only existed in legend. Although no concrete proof has ever given light to their existent, countless stories have been told throughout time that talks of objects with extraordinary powers. Some people think they were created as tools of destruction, whilst others believe that they were created in order to bring a balance. In fact, it is even unknown as to how many of these supposed 'Relics' were even in existence. Many stories conflict with each other, and as a result, create errors in logic. One story claims that the Relics were remnants of a fallen meteor, while another states that they were created by hand. However, in the end, nobody really knows the real truth behind these ancient artifacts. But that's the fun part of the story, right?

~​

Welcome to the Whispering Glade! A small, quaint town, nestled between a few mountains and a lake, this rustic town is a prime spot for living out of the way, and free from hassle! Living here is quite simple, and most of the folks here enjoy it that way. Simple shops, a simple school, simple eateries, etc. It's a simple town overall. Some popular spots around town would include Belinda's Café, Gillo's Grocery & Goods, and of course the Town Square to just name a few. Belinda's Café is run by a young Koopa named Belinda, and her café is a popular joint for cool eats. Gillo's Grocery is the go-to destination for all your grocery and item needs, and the Town Square is just a overall decent place to hang out, and possibly sit and relax by the centre fountain. On the outskirts of town lies the forests of the Whispering Glade, and beware: It's easy to get lost in there, especially at night!

You are a resident of Whispering Glade. You have been living your life rather peacefully, away from the busy life of the city. Maybe you go to school, or maybe you work. Or maybe you don't do anything at all! The terms of what the Ancient Relics are , they could be a complete mystery to you, or you could have some knowledge of related stories. Either way, you know the Relics do not affect you in any way, and they are simply there for the sake of story-telling.

The Roleplay Itself

Hey everyone! Back again with another Paper Mario RP! It's the summer, so I thought why not? My last one didn't go so far, so hopefully thing'll change this time around. It'll more or less be within the same Paper Mario Universe as the first two games (haven't played the others, so I can't really comment on those). You definitely won't need any Paper Mario experience at all to play, as this is pretty simple and fairly straightforward (I'm sure everyone here has some sort of Mario experience in one way or another, such as the different species, etc).

So, with that and the plot out of the way, I may as well get down the RP mechanics and how things are going to work. Firstly ,there is obviously not going to be a turn-based battle system like in the video games. Just straight up battling. Pretty simple stuff. Your character uses his/her attacks to defeat the opponent. In the games there is something called "FP", or "Flower Points". These are pretty much your points needed to use your stronger attack. In this RP, we are completely getting rid of Flower Points for simplicity's sake. Instead, using your stronger attack(s) will simply just use up more of your energy. Items that affect FP, will do the same thing, except affect your energy. Be warned though, this RP is not completely based on battling, as there are also puzzles and interactions driving the plot for the RP as well. So even if your character is not much of a fighter, they can still come in handy. As for the world itself, the RP takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom, although the places we visit are going to be different than those in the Paper Mario games. If you have an idea for a town or place, just let me know and we can figure something out!

Items & Badges

Click Here for Item Database | Click Here for Badge Database

items0_zps62ad205d.png
So, items are a rather big thing in the Paper Mario games. In the RP, these items are also obtainable, but you will mostly be able to find them in the field, instead of purchasing them. Again, for simplicity's sake, every person is limited to only 1 item at a single, given time, and you are only able to find or purchase them with my permission first. Coins will be handled by me, so you need not worry about it (coins are shared among characters as a group). If you need help with what items are available or what items do what, just click the link above for a database. The items are fairly straightforward about their usage, so if you are unsure if an item is allowed in the RP, ask me. Any item that has anything to do with FP, does what it is supposed to do, except replenishes/decreases energy instead of FP.

badges0_zpse3313ff5.png
And now we have badges. For those of you who are unfamiliar, badges are pretty much just used for giving certain abilities, power-ups, or passives. They can be found, given as a gift, etc. They are not a one-time thing, and your character will be carrying the badge around at all times (unless they choose to throw it away). Once again, for simplicity's sake, I'm limiting characters to only 1-2 badges maximum. Obviously not every badge can be used by your character (for example if you don't use a mallet as a weapon then the hammer badges are a complete waste). You need my permission before getting/finding a badge, so don't even worry about badges until I say so. With that said, I have a list of badges that are off limits/not available in the RP (They are off limits because some of them either just won't work properly in the RP, or they are redundant)If you need more help, just click the link for a badge database:

List of Unobtainable Badges:
Spoiler:

The Rules

• All PC Forum Rules Apply
  • No bunnying/god-modding
  • This is pretty much a 'G' rated RP, so violence, romance is allowed. But no swearing, and I mean it. Pretty much anything you find in the Paper Mario Games is allowed in the RP
  • Do not question, or argue with game logic. This could potentially lead to unnecessary questions or conversations.
  • I understand characters are technically '2-D', but no turning yourself into a paper airplane or anything out of the ordinary (if you have played the games, you'll know what I am talking about. Things such as breaking the fourth wall)
  • Let me know if you plan on being away for sometime so I can work something out
  • Please post often. Don't sign-up and then leave, as it will be hard to get rid of characters. We will all be travelling as a group so it's important to communicate.

The Sign-Up Sheet

Name: (Your character's name. Make sure they are an original character. You don't have to put a last name if it fits with your character.)

Species: (What species are they? Anything found in the Paper Mario universe will do. Toads, Goombas, Koopas, Bob-Ombs, Boo, Little Mousers are all acceptable. Just no picking actual people, or things like Chomps. There's many more to choose from, so if you need help just let me know. Or you can click here for the wiki.)

Age: (How old are they? I don't really have a age limit, as long as you are not 300 years old or anything. If you don't want to put in an age, you can just put in an approximate amount e.g- early 20's, middle-aged, etc.)

Appearance: (How does your character look? Any clothes, or things that distinguish them from others of their species, maybe a different color? Try to make your character unique! Also, no making up your own species.)

Personality: (Pretty straight forward. How do they act, likes, dislikes, etc. If possible, put this in point form with bullet points. We don't need a super long personality section, unles you really want to write out that much.)

History: (A really small history about them. You don't have to write more than a paragraph unless you want a really detailed history.)

Attacks: (2 attacks for now. One regular attack, and one stronger attack. Your attacks can be anything that would suit your character. If your character's standard way of battling is just punching/kicking/headbutting or anything physical like that, then just put down 'Melee' as your first attack. If your character uses some sort of weapon, let me know beforehand so I can approve it. Their weapon won't be available right at the start of the RP, just so you know. If you need help with attacks or something just let me know.)

My Sign-Up

Name: Attwell or known as "Att/Atty"

Species: Koopa

Appearance: Atty, like most Koopas, has a yellow-ish skin complexion. His shell is brown, and is polished to the point where it is possible to see a bit of one's own distorted reflection if they were to look at it. Coinciding with his brown shell, he also wears a pair of brown boots, and to top off his look he wears a green hat facing in a backwards fashion.

Personality: Attwell is a rather charming fellow. He tries to get along with everyone, although he can take a hint if someone does not take a liking to him. If he does happen to strike up a conversation with someone, you can be sure he will engage properly, and ask about their day and so on. This has given him a habit of talking too much, or rather unnecessarily prolonging a conversation longer than it should be (which may annoy some people). Otherwise, he is fairly pleasant to talk to, and is the kind of person people engage in conversation with if they want to rant about something to let off some steam, or simply about gossip. Admittedly, if the gossip is particularly juicy, he will partake as well.

History: Average family living in an average town, Atty's life hasn't been anything exciting. Grown up with a younger sister, parents and grandparents, he has lived with a full house his whole life. He spent most of his younger days playing and wandering about, and that is still all he really does, which is something his family often gets upset about. Wanting him to get a job, or actually do something productive, Atty just shrugs it off and lives every day like he usually does: Simple.

Attacks:

• Shell Toss: Your typical Koopa Attack. Atty retreats into his shell and hurls himself alongside the ground towards the opponent. Should be noted he gets incredibly dizzy if he spins around too excessively, and sometimes even a little bit will cause him to get fazed out.
  • Melee: Atty can use his fists for punching if needed/bite, etc. Nothing fancy.

Accepted Players

Attwell [Koopa]
Fishington Herring Waddlesworth [Bumpty]

Last edited:

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
Looks awesome, Jegretis! I'm just gonna leave this here.

Name:
"My name is Fishington Herring Waddlesworth, but you may call me Fish."
Fishington Herring Waddlesworth (Affectionately referred to as Fish)

Species:
"Fine, feather fellows, we bumpties are."
Bumpty

Appearance:
"Tell me, good chap, do I look distinguished?"

Fishington appears to be the average bumpty, but he often wears the coat and hat of a chef, as one must, in a profession of his own. He is a little more plump than the usual bumpty, but he refers to his few extra pounds as "proof of excellence." When not wearing his chef's uniform, he can be seen in a dress shirt.

Personality:
"Pardon me, sir, but I am a gentleman and a scholar!"

Fishington is, in short, a gentleman and scholar. He firmly believes in the powers of knowledge, manners, and the rules of society. Fish spends a great deal of time reading when he isn't working, learning of all manner of things that he can get his hands on. He is very firm about his pride and honor as well and will not hesitate to bump unruly characters into oblivion, should they offend him. Despite his rigid appearance, however, he is kindly and generous. Fish cooks for his friends any chance he should get. Fish's skills as a chef are known throughout the small towns of the Mushroom Kingdom. He takes great pride in his cooking. His signature dish, the Herring-Mushroom Sandwich, is known to be delicious...You know. If you like fish.

History:
"Ah...Our cozy little town of Whispering Glade. How I love it so..."

Waddlesworth is a Bumpty straight from the Bumpty capital, Shiver City. His parents reluctantly leave the freezing city so he could pursue his dream of being the best chef in the world. Yep. This guy is one cool dude. Get it ? Cool? Fishington wandered the Mushroom Kingdom for years before he found himself in the quaint little town of Whispering Glade. He has been there for a total of seven years now, and he loves the little town very much. Something about the rural lifestyle charms him, if you will. He owns a small restaurant near the Town Square known as "The Yumpty Bumpty," that makes a decent earning.

Attacks:
"Have at ye, scoundrel!"

THE ALMIGHTY BUMP: As all Bumpties, Fish is a pro at bouncing enemies away. While this doesn't really harm his opponents, it sends them skidding away several feet. Usually Fish uses it to deal with rowdy customers, but he's more than willing to bump a few villains into their place.

Melee: Whenever Fish isn't trying to bump someone, he uses his finflipperarmwing things to slap and his beak to peck.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
Hey Challenget :) yes, Yoshi counts as a valid race. Same with baby Yoshi

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
Alright, everything looks good Challenger, and you are accepted :) I shall have my own SU up shortly as well, probably going to go with a Koopa :p

Years

Kleo Katra

ohBSXer.png

Species: Gao

Personality:
Kind, yet ruthless and grounded in her principles. Cleo is exemplary in her love for justice.​

History:
The daughter of King Totomesu, Cleo is the Princess of the Muda Kingdom. Her father locked Cleo in the palace towers after he discovered her using her gifts of fortune to provide the poor with gold and riches.​

Attacks
Melee - Jewel Claws - Cleo lacerates one enemy. Attack ignores defense of opponent, her claws are said to cut straight through diamonds.

Special - Gold Beam - Cleo unleashes a might roar, emitting a powerful gold beam from her mouth. If she defeats an enemy with the attack, the enemy transforms into gold coins.​

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
@Dark Avenger: Hey :) Even though I like the concept, I'm afraid I'm going to have to reject the SU, only because the Gau species has not appeared in the Paper Mario universe (I think?).

Years
I was under the impression that anything Mario/Super Mario could/would exist in any Mario game. I'm just wondering, why specifically the character needs to be featured in a paper mario game ,rather than any mario game, for a fan fiction?

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
We wouldn't have a Transformer in a roleplay made for Go-Bots. We couldn't have a digimon in a Pokemon roleplay. Just because it's fan fiction does not mean that we can do what ever, if you get my drift.

Also, sorry if I sounded a little harsh. Just making a point.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
Dark Avenger: Pretty much what Challenger said, I want to keep it in the same universe, so at least the species has been shown someway or another in the Paper Mario universe. Sorry about that :/

Years
We wouldn't have a Transformer in a roleplay made for Go-Bots. We couldn't have a digimon in a Pokemon roleplay. Just because it's fan fiction does not mean that we can do what ever, if you get my drift.

Also, sorry if I sounded a little harsh. Just making a point.
I agree with the examples listed. But the examples are not analogous to this one, since Gaos are in the Mario universe. Digimon are not a part of the pokemon universe, and transformers are not a part of the go-bots universe. A more comparable example is featuring a Donkey Kong Country character (like Dixie Kong) into Donkey Kong 64 rp. Different art-styles, gameplay/mechanics, and some characters, but characters from each respective game are exclusive to the Donkey Kong universe. Similarly, including Mario in a Luigi's Mansion rp. The two examples, as with my character make sense for rp/fan fiction.

Gaos were the first enemies in super mario land, and King Totomesu was the first boss on super mario land -- the first mario handheld game, and a classic among older gamers.

Gaos are in the Mario universe, just not featured in a paper Mario game specifically, along with other Mario characters. So, the question is why can't any mario character be included in a roleplay/fan fiction? So, I ask the question again, why can't Mario characters not yet featured in a Paper Mario game, not be included in an rp? It doesn't really make sense.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
But the Paper Mario universe is almost completely separate from the original series, with the exception of characters and species, to an extent. Besides, Jegretis gave a list of acceptable species in the first place. (The wiki link)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
But the Paper Mario universe is almost completely separate from the original series, with the exception of characters and species, to an extent. Besides, Jegretis gave a list of acceptable species in the first place. (The wiki link)

Pretty much this. I get what you are saying Dark Avenger, but then the thing is if I were to accept Gaos, then that would mean I would have to accept anyone else who uses a character out of the Paper Mario verse.

Years
Name: Chiller

Species: Koopa

Age; 20

Appearance: A blue shelled Koopa with what look like ice shards on his back he also wears a light blue bandanna around his neck that has snowflake designs

Personality:
-Normally a laid back kind of koopa
-Dislikes: Fire, Greed, general Jerks

History: He happened to have been living in a frigid reigon of the kingdom where he found an ice flower giving him some ice powers, strangely he also found that unlike most if he gets hit he doesn't lose them... odd, maybe it has to do with the current events.

Attacks:
Shell Freeze: Fires forward in his shell to attack, has a slight chance to freeze all but fire enemies
Ice Hammer: Creates a hammer from Ice and performs a powerful attack with it, it won't work on hard enemies

Back