• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
IMO not a hard challenge at all. Even if you could only use one egg group, groups like Humanshape have access to Magmar, Electabuzz, Jynx, Machoke, and Alakazam. That's a pretty nice team right there. Egg group challenge would just be another one of those challenges that selects a set of Pokemon you can use. We're trying to stay away from that.

Wait, I'm sorry, what? When did we say we wanted to stay away from challenges that you get to choose your team? Guys, no offense, but when you say things like that, it's really discouraging. We don't need every challenge to be strikingly hard. We don't need every challenge to have Pokemon assigned by another challenger. Like I said before, we're doing a good job of keeping a good variety of difficulty with the challenges we have. Let's not take that away, please. Just because that challenge seems easy doesn't mean you have to make it easy. Just because someone might hypothetically choose that certain team if they choose Humanshape as an Egg Group doesn't mean everyone that participates in the challenge will choose an team like that.

Sorry, I just felt like that was a little rude to say we're steering clear of those types of challenges, because we're not. Just because a challenge doesn't seem "challenging" to some doesn't mean it's not to others. Please keep that in mind, and realize that you guys aren't the ones approving the challenges. I am.

/a bit irked today, sorry

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I certainly didn't mean to sound discouraging when I said that. Nor do I think that Pokemon assigned by another challenger in general are any harder/easier than those that you select your own team. I understand that the only person who gets to approve challenges is you.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I'm sorta sick of challenges that just groups the Pokemon together, and then you pick a group. Monotype, Color, Special Pairs, Beginning letter, Anime, that's all they do. You pick a group, and then you pick 3-6 from that group. While they are all different, and range in difficulty, they're all so similar.

Challenges like the Nuzlocke/Solo/Favorite/Scramble are more fun (in my opinion) because they're all so different from each other. In the Nuzlocke, you can just have bad luck and be screwed over if you find yet another pidgey as your first Pokemon on a route or if one of your hard trained Pokemon faints to an unlucky Critical Hit. In the solo you only get one single Pokemon to use, but it can be anyone you want. The favorite can screw you over if you like a Pokemon like Caterpie and it unluckily gets picked. In the scramble, you are in no control of what your team looks like. I like these challenges so much because there is so much variety in them. I guess in my frustration of another game of categories, I misspoke. I apologize.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years

Wait, I'm sorry, what? When did we say we wanted to stay away from challenges that you get to choose your team? Guys, no offense, but when you say things like that, it's really discouraging. We don't need every challenge to be strikingly hard. We don't need every challenge to have Pokemon assigned by another challenger. Like I said before, we're doing a good job of keeping a good variety of difficulty with the challenges we have. Let's not take that away, please. Just because that challenge seems easy doesn't mean you have to make it easy. Just because someone might hypothetically choose that certain team if they choose Humanshape as an Egg Group doesn't mean everyone that participates in the challenge will choose an team like that.

Sorry, I just felt like that was a little rude to say we're steering clear of those types of challenges, because we're not. Just because a challenge doesn't seem "challenging" to some doesn't mean it's not to others. Please keep that in mind, and realize that you guys aren't the ones approving the challenges. I am.

/a bit irked today, sorry

Sorry you're irked today Sydian.

No disrespect to you, but myrrhman does have a point in regard to the constant groupings, classifications, and exclusions (like this isn't already shoved down our throats by the games themselves) that is present in a lot of challenges of late. How many Pokemon are there now? 649? There is so much potential that can be done as far as changing the way the games are played beyond egg groups, monotypes, etc. That's one of the reasons people love the games because the games set themselves as blank slates that make possibilities endless. Why limit ourselves to a few types of challenges simply because they'll get the most feedback when there can be many things possible that people haven't even thought of -or have thought of, but are too timid to voice for fear of it being too different to be noticed?

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Sorry you're irked today Sydian.

No disrespect to you, but myrrhman does have a point in regard to the constant groupings, classifications, and exclusions (like this isn't already shoved down our throats by the games themselves) that is present in a lot of challenges of late. How many Pokemon are there now? 649? There is so much potential that can be done as far as changing the way the games are played beyond egg groups, monotypes, etc. That's one of the reasons people love the games because the games set themselves as blank slates that make possibilities endless. Why limit ourselves to a few types of challenges simply because they'll get the most feedback when there can be many things possible that people haven't even thought of -or have thought of, but are too timid to voice for fear of it being too different to be noticed?
I think you have it wrong. The problem isn't that people are scared that challenges will be too different, the problem is that they don't know how similar they are to other challenges. The invention of Monotype Challenges was a great thing. I believe it was the spark that led to there even being a Challenge section, because the challenge was so popular that people started trying to think of other things like it. It is great because there are some easy types and some hard types, and some easy gens and some hard gens. But the main thing is that it was the first of its kind. Because it is so popular, unfortunately all the other challenges similar to it (as discussed in above post) are just going to be compared to it, and unfortunately, not many, if any, of them will be seen as on par with the monotype challenge for it to really get off the ground.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
I feel like this is a bad time to propose a new challenge

How about a lyrics challenge, if it hasn't been done already? Pick your favorite song, pick up to six lines from the song, and pick a pokemon for each line?

*so eager that she already chose her to-be team*:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
What about "The Ugliest Pokèmon Challenge"?

Basically, you choose from one to six of the ugliest Pokèmon ever, standing to your own tastes.
Then, you choose a game where these Pokèmon are findable or hackable, and use it on that game.

And, I agree to InfernoRogue's Lyrics Challenge, it would be very funny! =D

The Lord of Smug
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Agreed to the Lyrics challenge, it lets you be creative.

And why don't we do something similar to the New year's egg swap, where you have 3 eggs and you are required to swap those slots at least 3 times before you can start? Or something like that.

It'd be cool.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I like the lyrics challenge.
As for the ugly challenge, could we do something random and rule out Purugly, so that people have to actually think about your team.
Egg Swap: I like it, as long as there are some ground rules. Since they're eggs, I know I'm going to breed on some good egg moves. I personally think everyone should do the same. Which would mean no Magikarp/Caterpie/etc. eggs. What do you guys think?

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Maybe a nature challenge that will go like this.

You choose a nature, let's say Adamant
You pick your starter and check its nature
is it Adamant? You can use it. Is it another nature? You can use it until you find a pokémon of the right nature
After you have your starter and get your pokébals you may catch a pokémon. If it's the right nature you can have it. Otherwise you may never catch that pokémon again. Get it?

What do you think of that? You maybe can choose two natures to make it less hard if you want.

Enigma

Years
I will be starting up the Lyrics challenge. ^_^

Ugliest: Might be a little hard for me to decide, but I guess I'd do it. xD Maybe I could pick a game with really bad sprites so I have a larger variety. (lolGreen)
Who knows, maybe it can evolve into a "Most Beautiful Pokemon Challenge". 8D

Egg swap: I think this is a great idea. So are you just breeding eggs and you just keep swapping them out until a certain point where you have 3 in your party and they hatch? Or is it literally like the New Year's Egg Swap? Because then people on emulators would have some trouble with this. They could still trade (even though a lot of people don't know how) but I find it kind of...troublesome. xP
Please tell me if I have the concept completely wrong, because I feel like I do.

Nature challenge: I think that version sounds okay. Having two natures would probably make it a little better, since there are twenty-five natures.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Lyrics challenge sounds amazing, I wish I had a game that I wasn't playing. ;-; Then again, I'd eventually get bored and forget about it. :(

Ugliest challenge...maaaay be a bit weird. There's a lot of Pokemon that some people think are ugly and some people like. For instance. I think Spiritomb is adorable, but most people think it's ugly and yeah, don't ask. lol But hey, I think it could still work.

I love the idea of the Egg Challenge. :)

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
But Syd, that's what keeps it fun. Some people will be like "OMG HOW CAN YOU THINK THAT SEED BBY IS UGLY" but you know that someone will...

And Karpman can confirm this, I absolutely hate trading. But I'd do it for the Egg Challenge.

Enigma

Years
I'll be posting up my challenge thread for the Lyrics Challenge soon, I almost forgot! xP

Years
I came up with the idea for a challenge, where you set up a small group and hold a "mini-draft" on MSN/AIM.
Basically you would draft evolution lines and playthrough the game. If a Pokemon faints, than it's permaboxed, although you
can catch/trade as many members of the evo lines you drafted as you want.
EDIT: Oh yes, Myrrh detests trading, he doesn't even want to use a Kingdra for his HG Water Monotype.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I came up with the idea for a challenge, where you set up a small group and hold a "mini-draft" on MSN/AIM.
Basically you would draft evolution lines and playthrough the game. If a Pokemon faints, than it's permaboxed, although you
can catch/trade as many members of the evo lines you drafted as you want.
EDIT: Oh yes, Myrrh detests trading, he doesn't even want to use a Kingdra for his HG Water Monotype.
Your cool idea gave me a cool idea! Pokecommunity should hold a cup of sorts. We have a signup time. Everyone who wants to participate in the cup signs up. Then, two teams are made, with an equal balance of experienced people, new people, and people in between. Then, we'll have two different drafts, one for the experienced people and one for the new people (so that there will be more Pokemon available). We'll set some rules like total number of rounds, maybe a "salary cap", etc. Then, we will publish another signup sheet. It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc. People on your team gather and sign up for slots in the challenges. We'll discuss beforehand if we want just one challenge per person, or if we want two, etc. People gather and discuss because some people won't have a strong team for Monotypes, but have one really strong solo runner. They'll sign up for a solo challenge most likely. You can only use your own Pokemon, not your teammates. After you have everyone on your team signed up, the other team's lineup would be revealed. Then you start playing your assigned challenge, and fastest completion (by in game time) of the challenge wins! There will be like a one month period to finish or else you forfeit and the other team wins. Whichever team gets the most points by the end of the month wins!

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
I like and (most probably) will participate in the following :

Lyrics Challenge (expect me spamming Eminem and Green Day a lot, lol n_n)
Ugliest Pokemon (maybe even use something like Feebas to make it more of a challenge... an of course, a ton of BW Pokemon)
Myrrh's idea is God, and we can implement it as a Challenge Get-Together... Anyone ? (:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
taht sounds like a good event fro the summer time atualy.

hey its two in the morning

stargate1995

Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
Years
Your cool idea gave me a cool idea! Pokecommunity should hold a cup of sorts. We have a signup time. Everyone who wants to participate in the cup signs up. Then, two teams are made, with an equal balance of experienced people, new people, and people in between. Then, we'll have two different drafts, one for the experienced people and one for the new people (so that there will be more Pokemon available). We'll set some rules like total number of rounds, maybe a "salary cap", etc. Then, we will publish another signup sheet. It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc. People on your team gather and sign up for slots in the challenges. We'll discuss beforehand if we want just one challenge per person, or if we want two, etc. People gather and discuss because some people won't have a strong team for Monotypes, but have one really strong solo runner. They'll sign up for a solo challenge most likely. You can only use your own Pokemon, not your teammates. After you have everyone on your team signed up, the other team's lineup would be revealed. Then you start playing your assigned challenge, and fastest completion (by in game time) of the challenge wins! There will be like a one month period to finish or else you forfeit and the other team wins. Whichever team gets the most points by the end of the month wins!

Would definitely join this challenge if solo running was put into it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back