• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald?

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters

blue

gucci
Years
383.png
382.png
384.png

Which is your favorite?
From what I've gathered previously, people seem to be kind of indifferent about which version of the trio they preferred. Maybe it's based upon Version Exclusives, Team Magma/Aqua or just general gameplay.​

Years
While the only of the three that I actually owned was Sapphire, I much preferred Emerald to it. There were some smaller changes like the additions to the Safari Zone and being able to battle both Team Aqua and Magma that I enjoyed, but the big addition of the Battle Frontier really cements Emerald as my favorite version of the three games.

Years
I own all 3, and even though my main version was Ruby, I decided on Emerald due to the better gameplay and the extra features the other two didn't have.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Emerald I got confused as to whether Aqua or Magma was the good/bad guy, but generally I thought it was the better game. Lots more to do, way more Pokemon to see with the Safari Zone additions, etc.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Emerald took everything that was great in Ruby/Sapphire and made it a little better, but I really love Sapphire Version for nostalgic reasons, but Ruby is still great cx

I should restart my Emerald Version and enjoy a playthrough while the internal battery still works...

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2013
I liked Emerald the most because it had those small additions, and it was the first one that I owned. :3

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I always go with the third version of every game because they add stuff to the original games and I liked that. I love the fact that Pokemon Emerald added the Pokemon Battle Frontier which is freaky amazing, battle houses (where the Pokemon contest use to be) in cities, being able to catch Rayquaza, Groudon and Kyogre and the fact that some Pokemon abilities have outside battle effects.

:t354:TG

Turboblaze

Blazing Aura
Years
Emerald all the way. It was just a pretty big step up from the dismal games that were ruby and sapphire. Emerald has a slight difficulty curve and of course the battle frontier. I really wished they had put the day/night system in it but hey, maybe that will be in the remakes.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
My first was sapphire, but my favorite is emerald because of what it had that the others didnt. Being able to tag team with Steven was pretty awesome, as was the battle frontier with that random cave of Smeargle.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Emerald, of course. There's more stuff to do, more trainers, more double battles, and the overall look is just better (like in Pokemon summaries and text boxes and such). It takes Ruby and Sapphire and makes them 1000 times better. I still love RS though, don't get me wrong. But Emerald is definitely my favorite Pokemon game. :) Not just out of this trio either!

Years
You have already voted on this poll. Please press back to see the results.

Noo let me vote a million times

Anyway, Emerald is the best~! <3 As others said there's more to do and it has the amazing Battle Frontier. Plus I really liked having both Team Aqua and Magma integrated into the story since that made things a lot more interesting.

.hack

skunkape
Years
I own Ruby and Emerald like with all versions when they came out I got one and my brother got the other (so he got sapphire, when I got silver he got gold etc.) so Ruby was my first play through and holds the majority of my nostalgia of the 3rd generation, even though I now own Emerald and have played through it even though there are improvements I just think Ruby will always be favourite as I still remember clear as day opening my christmas present from my grandad and seeing Pokemon Ruby I was so happy. I've always thought Sapphire looks quite cool but it's actually one of the few pokemon game I haven't played.

♚ Here's looking at you, kid.
Years
I played both Sapphire and Ruby, but hadn't the chance to try out Emerald. Rayquaza has always been a dear favorite of mine but, despite the legendary mascot, I must say that I choose Sapphire over all. It was the first of that generation that I played and I found Team Aqua quite amusing in the game. I am not the biggest fan of Sapphire's legendary (much prefer Ruby's) but again, it was the one I played and made me fall in love with that generation. (:

Cid

Years
Ruby! I like both teams but I always thought that Team Aqua was a good group and was meant to help you throughout the game like they did in Ruby. Although that was soon thrown out of the window come Emerald, when Team Aqua getting the base near Lilycove made so much sense as well as the pivotal roles of the troublemaking team from the dual versions.

Plus I liked Groudon's design a lot. Also I thought the red accents in the main protagonists' original clothing meant that Ruby was the actual intended main version instead of Sapphire, so yeah.

Still, I just have to add since apparently majority liked the third version the most, Emerald's really good! I love the additions, the condensed storyline as well as having to face both teams and seeing an actual cutscene with the Weather Trio. The Battle Frontier was also a welcome addition!

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
Emerald. The battle frontier alone makes it the most fun game to play.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I absolutely adore Emerald.

It was the first gen 3 game I was given, so the memories attacked to it are clearly a determining factor.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Definitely, Emerald is my favorite because it has more improvements and the best 3rd gen Pokemon storyline ever.

Back