• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

RattataDude

Soon-To-be RaticateMan
Years
I just beat My white 2 Steel monotype challenge. The elite four were easy, but Iris destroyed me.
After 7 tries, I finally beat her. My Ferrothorn with a rocky helmet came in clutch when I tricked her into using contact moves.
This was a very fun experience, and I was thinking bout doing an ORAS and XY steel monotype.

Here's the team I used to beat her.

Rappa The Lucario[M] Lv 57 Psychic, Ice Punch, Strength, Aura Sphere. Item: Expert Belt, Ability: Steadfast.
Mettaton The Magnezone Lv 53 Thunder Wave, Flash Cannon, Charge Beam, ThunderBolt Item: Magnet. Ability: Sturdy.
Toph The Excadrill [F] Lv 56 Sandstorm, Earthquake, Metal Claw, Rock Slide. Item: Hard Stone Ability: Sand Rush.
TetsuTetsu The Ferrothorn[M] Lv 50 Power Whip, Curse, Gyro Ball, Ingrain. Item: Rocky Helmet, Ability: Iron Barbs.
Excalibird The Skarmory [F] Lv 51 Fly, Spikes, Night Slash, Steel Wing. Item: Sharp Beak, Ability: Keen Eye.

For anyone who reads this and Has never done a pokemon Monotype before, I highly recommend doing it! [Edit; yay I fixed it.]

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Dragon monotype White update

Current progress
Spoiler:

Current team
Spoiler:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Forum User Name: ddrox13
Game(s): FireRed, StormSilver, Emerald, Diamond, Black 2, Y, Sun, Shield
Pokémon Type: Grass
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate (Cont'd)

Just a heads up encase you missed it, I've announced that Gen 8 games for time being are not required to complete an ultimate challenge given that Game Freak have switch home handhelds to main consoles (yes I know what a switch is) but regardless for now Gen 8 is purely optional for ultimate challenges.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
The Adventures of Pest the Bug Catcher continues!

I decided to keep the Flygon on my team it doesn't have a nickname though. I thought Sudowoodo was going to be a challenge but I didn't even have to use Hera (Heracross). Morty wasn't a challenge in Ecruteak, but some of the fire trainers in the Burned Tower were frightening. One Koffing managed to use Explosion but other than that we were mostly unscathed. We headed south to train some and we came across a Raikou! I threw a Quick Ball but darn it! It just isn't the same as a Fast Ball and it got away. After defeating that young thug bothering some people we got surf and headed West.

We started training Hera for the upcoming battle and around this point in the game I realized it was turning into a two man team with Hera and GRASSHOPPER taking the lead. We explored the Lighthouse and easily climbed our way up. Amphy, I believe it was called, was sick and so we couldn't fight the gym leader. I took FODDER (Totodile) out of the PC and taught it surf. Around this time I started training Flygon. A Gyarados nearly wiped out my team but I made it to Cianwood somehow.

I taught ZZZt (Beedrill #2) Rock Smash to make it feel more useful and started training again. I managed to catch Shuckle the "Shilly Piggy" and fought with Euswine because his greeting was Yo(u) Pest! Euswine managed to put my Flygon to sleep after it being confused and I swapped to the rest of the team and everyone was nearly dead and Electrode was on one hp and he got two lucky crits and I nearly started crying but luckily Flygon managed to wake up (I was out of Awakenings and Chesto Berries) then Shadow Ball took out his Pokémon with ease and Quick Attack was enough to take out 1 hp Electrode and Flygon turned from worst team member to MVP!!!!!!!!! But ZZZt and BUZZd are still at 20 and 21 respectively. Irregardless, Chuck, you're up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023

Current progress
Spoiler:

Current team
Spoiler:

Edit: What should I do if I want to post an update to my run but I'm the last one who posted? Should I edit my last post like I'm doing right now or should I wait for someone else to post?

Last edited:
Years
So I am back! At last haha. This Platinum run, it's lasting for years! Let's do the final push! On a side note, I want to add Sword to my Ultimate Monotype Challenge. So, without further ado, let's go.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Sun, Sword.

4. Pokémon Platinum Fighting Monotype update No. 11: The post-game!

So yeah, I went to get the National Dex after beating the E4. Can't believe I skipped seeing Unown! After getting it, I went to explore the new area in Victory Road, travelling with Marley, to reach Route 224. There I was very close to dying. Didn't take my Toxicroak and my Infernape with me because of the need of HM Slaves, and a Gyarados set up Dragon Dance. I was very lucky he missed Aqua Tail... But nothing else was remarkable. I caught a few Legendaries, and then when I was ready I went to the Battle Zone!

There Volkner and Flint were waiting for a fight, a fight where I was helped by my rival. I had a rough start, Houndoom outsped Lucario and beat it with Flamethrower. The Staraptor destroyed it, but Luxray took it out. Then Luxray boosted Flareon's moves, and a critical Overheat destroyed my Machamp. 2 turns, 2 Pokémon lost! The battle went on and Toxicroak managed to beat both the Luxray and the Flareon with the help of the Rival's Snorlax, using Earthquake. he fell to Magmortar's move, though. Then Gallade beat the Magmortar, but fell to Electivire due to Defense drops from Close Combat. So Infernape had to go out and finish the battle off destroying Electivire and Jolteon with Close Combat.

With this battle done, I explored the island, battling trainers and catching Pokémon, before going to Stark Mountain. I only struggled a bit in Route 225, where the annoying Psychic- and Flying-type moves from the trainers beat a few of my Pokémon. With that done, I went to Stark Mountain to finish the quest at this island. There I fought Team Galactic.

Mars was easy. Her Bronzong fell to 2 Flamethrower from Infernape (she set Light Screen), and then Gallade took down both Golbat and Purugly with Psycho Cut and Close Combat, although her Shadow Claw did quite a bit of damage. Jupiter was also easy. Same strategy Vs. Bronzong and Golbat, and then the Skuntank fell to 2 Megahorns from Heracross, despite a miss and a burn after that from Flamethrower.

Next up was the rival battle in Survival Area. Staraptor was as always problematic. It beat my Lucario before falling to a Machamp's Revenge. Infernape beat Rapidash with 2 Close Combats, and Toxicroak dealt with the Empoleon with 2 Brick Breaks. Snorlax was destroyed with Heracross's Close Combat, Roserade fell to Gallade's Psycho Cut and finally in a Heracross Vs. Heracross fight, mine was faster and won with Aerial Ace.

After that I had fun battling in the Survival area, I fought in some close battles Maylene, Fantina, Marley and Byron. Then I went to catch Heatran. First try it died to Struggle after failing to catch it with 50!! Timer Balls. Next try the second Dusk Ball was enough... xD

So the last thing to do is to challenge the E4 rematches, which are the same teams with higher levels. I'll grind a bit and fight them. Then I will at last finish this endless run!

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 8.

Current Location: Survival Area.

Number of losses: 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT'S FINALLY OVER!! I started the challenge on Platinum, reading my posts from the past, on October 5th 2017!! So almost two years and a half later, Platinum is complete.

4. Pokémon Platinum Fighting Monotype update No. 12: The finale!

I grinded my whole team up to level 70 to stand a chance against the improved E4, and then went to face them. Third and fourth battle were tough, but I managed to win. Not gonna talk about them because they were similar to the first time I won them. Against Cynthia, I was super lucky! After beating Spiritomb with 2 Flamethrowers, my Gallade set up 3 Swords Dances against Milotic, and destroyed 4 Pokémon! Her Dragon Rush missed so Garchomp fell as well. With just Lucario remaining, Heracross finished the job. So it's finally over!

p9b2ZK3.png
dfPItoU.png

So here it is, my final team, this time without the Spoiler tag, they deserve to be seen.

Final Team:

BSHvcDu.png

Lv 71
Spr_4p_392.png
(M) @ Choice Specs. Blaze.
Brave Nature. ThunderPunch, Close Combat, Grass Knot, Flamethrower.

Lv 70
Spr_4p_068.png
(M) @ Fist Plate. Guts.
Sassy Nature. Cross Chop, Ice Punch, Revenge, Rock Slide.

Lv 70
Spr_4p_214_m.png
(M) @ Black Belt. Guts.
Jolly Nature. Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Close Combat, Megahorn.

Lv 70
Spr_4p_475.png
(M) @ Mind Plate. Steadfast.
Hardy Nature. Psycho Cut, Swords Dance, Close Combat, Night Slash.

Lv 70
Spr_4p_454_m.png
(M) @ Expert Belt. Dry Skin.
Docile Nature. Earthquake, Poison Jab, Brick Break, Sucker Punch.

Lv 70
Spr_4p_448.png
(M) @ Life Orb. Steadfast.
Docile Nature. Psychic, Shadow Ball, Close Combat, Aura Sphere.

Number of losses: 3.

So, final thoughts on them...

Infernape was clearly the MVP here. Amazing coverage, amazing strength, fast... Super good Pokémon to train. Nothing else to say, he saved me so many times!

Machamp, well, he was slow, but he provided important bulk to the team. His Revenges were very strong. A shame I didn't get a No Guard one, but Guts was very useful sometimes, like when it helped ko Cynthia's Garchomp with a single Ice Punch!

Heracross is a very good all-around Pokémon. Infernape shone more than him when I got it, but still, he remained useful throughout the whole game. He was very important against Fantina, thanks to Guts, when I didn't have much coverage in the team. I wasn't planning to train it, but when it appeared in that honey tree I couldn't reject him!

Gallade was annoying to train when he was just a Kirlia, but I got the evolution very fast with the hidden Dawn Stone near Pastoria. He was decently fast and very strong. His Psychic coverage was very important against some Poison-types. With Swords Dance he was very threatening to opponents. A very cool Pokémon to have.

Toxicroak didn't stand out that much. He was quite frail and lacked a bit of strength. His Dry Skin Ability was cool, though, the battle with Crasher Wake was hilarious thanks to it. And it was the Pokémon I taught Earthquake, so it was very useful against certain Pokémon. Sucker Punch was also very important against Lucian's Psychic Pokémon like Alakazam. A Pokémon that hasn't shone that much, but was very important in certain battles.

And the final inclusion, Lucario. A good all around Pokémon that added a few more Special Attacks to the team. He was good to have but didn't do very well in important fights. Against the E4 he was garbage xD.

So that's it. I enjoyed the game, although its slow pace sometimes and the fact I also played other games and had a lot of things to do in the last couple of years meant this run took forever. Hopefully I can be faster with White 2 Challenge Mode, where I expect a really tough challenge, to be honest. Platinum was nice to play again after so many years, it is an amazing Pokémon game, set in an amazing region with very cool Pokémon and challenges!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023

Final White progress
Spoiler:

Final White team
Spoiler:

RattataDude

Soon-To-be RaticateMan
Years
I thought I already wrote about me doing the X Steel monotype, but I didn't, soo

Forum Name: RattataDude
Game: X
Challenge: Single
Pokemon Type: Steel

Years
I started White 2! As with the previous games, my only additional rule is no Revives during battle. Let's go!

5. Pokémon White 2 (Challenge Mode) Fighting Monotype update No. 1: Again with the Fire starter!

Yeah, of course, Fighting-type monotype, so I have to go for the Fire-type starter for the third time in a row. So Tepig it was! It was Jolly, so yeah, not very good with Special Attacks but decent, I guess. After picking my starter, I faced the rival, and I managed to win! Although Oshawott was lv 6 due to Challenge Mode, and got a crit with the first Tackle, it fell after a Tail Whip and 3 Tackles. It was pretty close, though!

Eventually I reached Floccesy Ranch, where I caught a lv 7 Riolu. This time it joins the team much earlier than in Platinum, which is good. He has a Modest Nature, which is interesting, and will make me train him as a Special Attacker, although his Force Palms will be weaker for now. At Floccesy Ranch I battled my rival Hugh once more. It was pretty easy for Riolu, despite being 2 levels lower. He beat it with 2 Counters on his Tackles, so quite straightforward!

After meeting Team Plasma, and training with Alder, it was time to go to the first gym in the game. I grinded my 2 Pokémon up to level 13, and went for the fight with Cheren!

First gym battle! Patrat was easy, he didn't hit me at all, as he used Work Up, but with Tail Whip, my Tepig easily beat him with 3 Tackles after the Potion. Next up was Lillipup. It was going well, but he set up a few Work Ups. After we both healed with the Oran Berries, his Tackle was Critical and beat Tepig. Fortunately, he was very low on health, so Riolu's Quick Attack finished him off. And Cheren's last Pokémon was Pidove. Quite scary for Riolu. He went for Work Up but then for Quick Attack. Seeing this, after my first 2 Quick Attacks, I went for Counter to destroy the bird! So first badge in the pocket! And happiness for Riolu, who also learnt Force Palm here! I checked after the battle and it seems that this Pidove doesn't have Gust. Things would have been different had he had that move...

I stopped playing here, it's 2 AM now! Will keep going tomorrow, hopefully!

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 1.

Current Location: Aspertia City.

Number of losses: 0.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've kept going with this! Important update!

5. Pokémon White 2 (Challenge Mode) Fighting Monotype update No. 2: Team revolution!

After getting the first badge, I went to Virbank City, and at Virbank Complex, my Tepig evolved into Pignite! Yes! With my new Pokémon, I went to face Roxie:

Riolu didn't do much damage to Koffing, who forced me to send Pignite. Standing a few Venoshocks with 10 HP, I beat the Koffing. Next up was Grimer. I had to use some Fresh Water. After that, Grimer was easy with Flame Charge and Return. And finally, she sent Whirlipede. My Ember was a crit and burnt her! So after that a single Flame Charge was enough. Second badge in the pocket!

After battling Team Plasma, I headed to Castelia City, and there, battling GameFreak Morimoto, my Riolu evolved at lv 20 into Lucario! Happy with this, a lv 20 Lucario is gonna be strong. I went to Route 4 to get Scraggy before going to the Battle Company or facing Team Plasma. I caught one quite fast. He was lv 17, with Shed Skin, and Hardy Nature. Decent, I guess. Surprised it learnt Brick Break so early, that's good!

And after Scraggy, it was Timburr's time to join my team. I caught a lv 17 female one at the Relic Passage after beating the Plasma grunts. It was Gentle. - Def nature isn't very good, but at least it's not -Atk. I hacked my game so that Gurdurr evolves at lv 40, by the way.

And with 4 Pokémon on my team, I went to face Burgh. Dwebble was super easy for Lucario, he fell to a few Force Palms. Next up was Karrablast. He beat my Timburr with 2 Aerial Aces, but Rock Throw left him weakened, so Scraggy with Payback finished him off. Next up was Leavanny, so I sent Pignite. He survived my Flame Charge with red HP, and despite my Pignite gaining speed, he was still faster and beat me with Aerial Ace. After the berry my Lucario left him with very low HP, and he healed… So annoying. I was forced to heal twice, and use a Casteliacone when he went for Grasswhistle, but in the end I won with Counter. And Shelmet was his final Pokémon. He set up a few Curses… for then using Special Attacks like Acid and Mega Drain! They were weak, and after a long battle, my Scraggy prevailed! So the third badge is mine! Quite the close fight, that Lv 26 Leavanny with Aerial Ace vs. my lv 22-24 Pokémon was strong!

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 3.

Current Location: Castelia City.

Last edited:
Years

Ultimate Dragon Monotype in Pokémon Black

zweilous.gif
druddigon.gif
haxorus.gif

FINAL PART

Time for another update on my Ultimate Dragon Monotype.

This run was interesting. I hacked Deino as my starter in place of Tepig and it had Hustle. Combined with its stats and late evolution, mid game felt a lot like late game of my 1st stage no faint solo runs. Deino was dying a lot. Especially since she barely hit anything at all. I'll have nightmare about Excadrill for a long time because of that. Missing every single attack in several tries was insane.

But after getting Axew, this run got second wind and I quickly cut through the rest of the Gym Leaders and E4. Last obstacle of this run was Ghetsis' Hydreigon. I refused to train my Zweilous to level 64, because I didn't want to be overleveled for him, but oh god, I wish I did. Hydreigon was faster than all my dragons (I forgot to set up Haxorus with Dragon Dance prior) and was able to one-shot all of them, so I had to PP stall its Dragon Pulse and then beat it with Haxorus' Dragon Claw.

Overall, this was pretty good run. Here's the final screen of Ghetsis:
Spoiler:

Next up is Kalos and opportunity to get more than 3 Pokémon on team. If I recall correctly, there are Bagon and Axew early on after 1st Gym, so I don't have to trade anything in.

Team

zweilous.gif

Betty, Jolly Female Zweilous
lvl 51, Hustle
- Crunch
- Body Slam
- Dragon Rush
- Work Up

druddigon.gif

Denderina, Sassy Female Druddigon
lvl 55, Rough Skin
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Bulldoze

haxorus.gif

Mythos, Careful Male Haxorus
lvl 59, Mold Breaker @Dragon Fang
- Dragon Claw
- Slash
- Guillotine
- Dragon Dance​

Years
Update to my mono-ice run.

Completed Y a couple days ago.
Final team was Aurorus, Avalugg, Mega Abomasnow, Glaceon, Lapras and Mamoswine

Now it's on to emerald and allready I've got a question. Now i'm doing all of theese on cartridge, problem is the internal battery ran dry ages ago on my emerald cartridge and so i'm not guaranteed to be able to catch snorunt because you can only find snorunt at low tide. Would i be allowed to trade in snorunt if the shoal cave gets locked into high tide? I would only trade it in once I reach the point where I would normally be able to catch it.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024

Now it's on to emerald and allready I've got a question. Now i'm doing all of theese on cartridge, problem is the internal battery ran dry ages ago on my emerald cartridge and so i'm not guaranteed to be able to catch snorunt because you can only find snorunt at low tide. Would i be allowed to trade in snorunt if the shoal cave gets locked into high tide? I would only trade it in once I reach the point where I would normally be able to catch it.

Actually, you could trade in Snorunt as soon as you can. Since there are no ice types available before the second gym in Pokemon Emerald, you are allowed to hack or trade in an ice-type pokemon.

Years
WHAT. A. BATTLE!

Additional Rules: - No revives inside battles.
- No PP stalling opponents by healing all the time.

5. Pokémon White 2 (Challenge Mode) Fighting Monotype update No. 3: An electrifying battle!

After getting the third badge, I went to Route 4, where I fought Colress for the first time in the game. He wasn't hard, but he was a bit annoying. With Sturdy Magnemite survived Timburr's attack, and left me weakened and paralyzed before falling. Klink finished my Timburr off with Gear Grind, but my Pignite easily ended the battle. With this battle done, I explored the desert, caught a few new Pokémon and got some levels against trainers in Desert Resort. When I felt ready, I went to Nimbasa City.

There, fighting at the rollercoaster, Timburr evolved into Gurdurr! I had an easy fight versus Ingo and Emmet, thanks to Rosa's Servine. Lucario and Servine beat the Boldore, and I swapped Lucario for my own Gurdurr to finish their Gurdurr. After battling trainers at the Stadiums, Route 5 and Route 16, I went to the gym to get the fourth badge.

Elesa fight! Emolga Vs. Gurdurr. My Rock Tomb did good damage, but she beat me with 2 Aerial Aces. I sent Lucario, and she Volt Switched into Zebstrika, doing a crit as well. Zebstrika stood the Dig, healed with Sitrus Berry, and beat Lucario with Flame Charge. And then she used Volt Switch again! My Pignite got paralyzed by Static, and Emolga destroyed him with Aerial Ace. So I only have Scraggy Vs. 4 Pokémon, great!

She Volt Switched into Flaaffy this time, and I beat her, thanks to Swagger and Brick Break. Scraggy thanks to Eviolite stood Emolga's Aerial Ace and finished her off with Headbutt. She sent Joltik, and used Volt Switch while I healed, so again Zebstrika on the field. I don't know why, but she went for Pursuit and then for Flame Charge, doing little damage, and 2 Paybacks from Scraggy beat her. And finally, her last Pokémon is Joltik, again. She paralyzed me, but for the third or fourth time on this battle, Scraggy healed with Shed Skin. I stood the Volt Switch and won with 2 Paybacks! So the fourth badge was mine! I have to build a statue for Scraggy!

lUYL6wx.png

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 4.

Current Location: Castelia City.

Last edited:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years

Sorry for the late reply, Yes, as someone mentioned already, there are no Ice types in Emerald available before the second gym so trading in a Snorunt or a Spheal is perfectly fine. Also yes while a ran dry battery locks you out of certain things, aslong as you set the clock at the beginning the correct time for a low tide, you can obtain it. (but I would recommend just trading in because Snorunt and Spheal aren't available until just before the 7th gym which sucks).

Years
LET'S GO!

Additional Rules: - No revives inside battles.
- No PP stalling opponents by healing all the time.

5. Pokémon White 2 (Challenge Mode) Fighting Monotype update No. 4: When the evolutions are not enough.

After getting my fourth badge, I went to Driftveil City. There, the battle with Rood was very easy. Lucario beat the Herdier with 2 Force Palms and Scraggy destroyed Swoobat with Payback. Now it was time to face Clay for my fifth badge!

Krokorok was easy for Scraggy. He set a Sandstorm up and used Torment, but despite the Sitrus Berry, he fell to 2 Brick Breaks. Onix was also super easy for Gurdurr, two Ice Punches were enough, and his Rock Slides did very little damage. Gurdurr also destroyed the Sandslash with 2 Ice Punches, with Quick Claw allowing me to receive 0 damage! And finally, Scraggy took Excadrill's Metal Claw easily and koed him with a single Hi Jump Kick. So the fifth badge is mine! This was much easier than Elesa.

After getting this badge and fighting at the PWT, you get the Surf HM, so it was time for some exploration. I grabbed a lot of items, and also fought for a While in the Battle Subway to get myself the Brick Break TM. When I was ready, I went to Chargestone Cave.

Going through this cave, Pignite evolved into Emboar! And at the Celestial Tower, Scraggy became Scrafty! And soon after that, Gurdurr evolved into Conkeldurr at level 40, as I had programmed! So 3 very consecutive evolutions for my team! After all this exploration, I went to face Skyla, which was quite scary as Fighting-types suffer against Flying-type Pokémon.

Here we go! My Emboar stood Swoobat's Psychic with 33 HP and beat her with a single Heat Crash. Against Swanna, I was very unlucky. My Conkeldurr, with Sheer Force Rock Slide, did a lot of damage even though she used FeatherDance. But then, while she used Air Slash (missing once), I MISSED 2 ROCK SLIDES IN A ROW! So Conkeldurr fainted. And after losing Conkeldurr, Scrafty was flinched to death with Air Slash. Lucario beat her, but was very weakened. So Sigilyph, with Psychic, swept the rest of my team. First loss of the run.

Next try! A smoother beginning this time. Swoobat went for Attract vs Emboar, but I hit her through it with a crit Heat Crash, and beat her! Next up was Swanna. Her Air Slash hurt Conkeldurr a lot, but a single Rock Slide was enough to beat her. Scrafty dealt with Sigilyph easily standing the Air Cutter, with a single Crunch. And Skarmory was easy for Emboar, despite her Aerial Ace, 2 Heat Crashes were more than enough. So this time in a very easy battle (that could have gone wrong due to Attract or Air Slash, though), I won my sixth badge! I stopped playing there.

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 6.

Current Location: Milstraton City.

Number of losses: 1.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I've been mulling this over for a while now and I think I'm going to give it a go, now that I've settled on the type I want to use, dug out my old DS Lite, and checked through my games to see which ones I can afford to restart.

Forum User Name: Dawn
Game(s): Fire Red, HeartGold, Emerald/Alpha Sapphire (depends on my mood), Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Moon, Shield
Pokémon Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

I am probably going to regret this, but I guess we'll see! Will probs try and finish one game a month starting from next month, in generation order, with a gap between Platinum and White 2 so I can play the original White first, which I will not be doing as a mono-Flying run because I still have Pokemon Dream Radar so I can use the genies in White 2 hahaha. I may or may not have an all-Oricorio run for Ultra Moon if I get that far, too.

I *might* limit myself to Pokemon of the generation I am playing (i.e. can only use Gyarados in Gen 1, Skarmory in Gen 2, and so on) although it'll depend on what is available to me each game...not going to have a death rule or anything, I'm not a masochist. Well, not to THAT degree.

Watch this space for updates. I'm playing other games too so who knows how much time I'll make for this. xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 31, 2020
Alright I finally had time to start the run and also decided to add an extra challenge to where I have to get ever Normal type I can before the elite four. So I started the run chose Rowlet and basically skipped through the tutorial and picked up my first three Pikipek, Buneary, and Yungoos trained them to level 6 before fighting Hau, and then doing the stuff to get the rotom dex then backtracked to get Rattata. Finally went to the trainer school trained everyone to level 10 before taking on the teacher lady and will pick back up later.

Team
Sam the Naive Natured Pikipek Level 10
Mel the Gentle Natured Yungoos Level 10
Cream the Modest Natured Buneary Level 10 and
Bonnie the Bold Natured Rattata Level 10 as well

pkmin3033

Part #1 - A painful lesson in humility​

Start a Flying-type ultimate monotype challenge, I said. It'll be easy, I said. Maybe I should do more than a quick cursory study before I commit myself to these things. Today reminded me of something - no matter how old you are or how long you've been doing something, you can still fuck things up royally if you're not attentive.

I could have gone with Fire Red or Leaf Green, but Fire Red was a deliberate choice: Dratini is about half the price in the Game Corner, and a Dragonite in my endgame team will make life MUCH easier. It'll still be relatively easy in some part, because I'll use Articuno to sweep through Lance, but it'd be a nice thing to have. With a team of Charizard, Pidgeot, Gyarados, Butterfree, Articuno, and Dragonite for the Elite Four, I shouldn't have any issues...provided I get that far. I could also have started with Yellow or Let's Go Pikachu, but that would have been a tad problematic...and awful. The former has aged VERY badly, and the latter is just plain bad. Fire Red, whilst slow as hell, seemed like the way to go.

Naturally I started with Charmander, because Charizard is Fire/Flying, which gives me a nice edge...and I didn't much fancy doing the beginning of the game with just Pidgey and Butterfree. Neglecting Spearow because I only need one Normal/Flying type on my team, and I do LOVE Pidgey. Sorry Spearow, maybe...never. Hahaha. Ha.

Brock destroyed me. I knew Charmander and Pidgey would be utterly useless to me against Rock types, so I concentrated on getting my Butterfree up to Level 15. Confusion should cut through it relatively quickly and easily, I tell myself. Nope. Tiny sliver of health gone, Rock Tomb. Bye bye, Butterfree. Wonderful. I was left with a severely underpowered Charmander and Pidgey, so I reset. Probably just a fluke. Nope. Same thing happened the second time. And the third. And the fourth. I was getting a little irritated at that point so I decided to grind my Charmander up to a Charmeleon...if nothing else, it'd be able to dish out a couple of hits with Ember before dying. Might even burn it. Didn't it learn Smokescreen as well? Maybe I could blind the thing enough that it wouldn't crush my Butterfree when I sent it out to Confusion it into oblivion.

Charmander learned Metal Claw at level 13.

I did not know this was a thing. Needless to say, I destroyed Brock with that. It cut through Geodude with relative ease, I scored a lucky crit on Onix, got wiped out by Rock Tomb, and then Buttefree finished it off with a single Confusion. Huh. Guess I'd better brush up on who learns what and when. I could have sworn it learned Smokescreen before Metal Claw, but I guess the developers swapped it around to make Charmander at least partially viable for the first Gym.

...I don't suppose it can learn Thunderbolt before Misty's Gym, can it? No? OK then...god, I HATE Misty. I am not looking forward to this.

Also, the high number of Pikachu I found in the Viridian Forest was both disgusting and infuriating. I spent HOURS hunting for that electric rat when I played this game back when it was released. HOURS. Now that I'm restricted to Flying-types, I find one within the first 15 minutes, and several more as I trudge through the forest. Thanks for that, game. If I find a non-Flying type shiny I am throwing my DS out the window ._.

Stats:

Trainer Name: Dawn
Playtime: 1:43

Current Team
Rock Entombed Butterfree - Level 15
Surprisingly Sharp-Clawed Charmander - Level 13
Just Kinda There Pidgey - Level 11

Badges: 1/8

Game(s): Fire Red, HeartGold, Emerald/Alpha Sapphire (depends on my mood), Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Moon, Shield
Pokémon Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 31, 2020
Playred a bit more recently so I made it to Hau'oli and caught a Furfrou along with Dunsparse and Smeargle on route 2 trained and put Cream in the pc for now. Got my first evolution being Sam the battle before the First Totem allowing us to win easily.

Team
Rachel the Naughty Smeargle Lv.13
Dunca the Impish Dunsparce Lv.13
Duchess the Quirky Furfrou Lv.14
Sam the Naive Trumbeak Lv.14
Bonnie the Bold Rattata Lv.13
Mel the Gentle Yungoose Lv.13

Box
Cream the Modest Buneary Lv.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back